Uke Pickup

ivan

Reaction score
Hey guys/gals on the UU forum, I havent posted much of anything, but I thought I'd let you guys know: recently I bought a Fishman AG pickup for 80 bucks off of Blue Star Music (online). I had it installed in my uke (pono pkt-2) and it sounds GREAT. I don't have any fancy equipment or anything, just a simple amp and an old BOSS recording thingy with some digital effects in it. All the strings are evenly balanced and the pickup picked up all the sounds I was looking for except for body percussion. The pickup senses string vibrations and I guess when you hit the body it doesn't really transfer over to the pickup unless you hit the bridge. For the money I guess I'm reasonably satisfied...the installation cost me the same as the price of the pickup itself, but the guy did a good job so no complaints there.

Before I bought the pickup I was hoping somebody on the forum already had it hoping maybe they wrote a review for it, but I guess nobody else has it or bothered to write much about it. Hope this tiny bit of info helps whoever is looking to install a pickup rather than buying a new uke with one already built in.

There are different models in the AG line, was it the 125? Was the UST modified in any way?

Fishman if it is [passive you want a AG series 094 with a custom short transducer not the guitar length one If tis active you want thew Matrix Infinity with narrow format 3/32" custom length transducer for under the saddle.

I bought the pickup at this website: http://www.bluestarmusic.com/ukulel...ndersaddle-pickup-for-ukulele-w-jack-260.html

The UST length is actually shorter than the saddle is; at first I thought the pickup was too short, but it sounds great even thought its barely is long enough to fit under all four strings. I got the pickup 2 weeks after ordering it which I think is excellent considering where I live. The pickup wasn't modified in any way, from what I know, Fishman makes a whole bunch of different sized mini-series of the AG passive series (acoustic size, classical size, etc...). Most websites I looked at didn't have the ukulele sized one, and the only place I found it is the above link. I would definitely recommend this pickup to anybody looking to amp up their uke, but I would have a luthier install it...the idea of drilling my ukulele with no prior experience somewhat frightens me...

The luthier drilled the jack hole, then he deepened the slot where the saddle was and he sanded the saddle down to compensate for the increase in height from the pickup. Thats what he told me he did, and as far as I can tell he did a great job. Well thats it I guess, if anybody has questions about this particular pickup I'd be happy to answer their questions.

Top Bottom