PDA

View Full Version : So who's having a Very Ukulele Christmas?

Plainsong
12-20-2008, 02:57 PM
This is the first chance I've had to see if I'm welcome here, so why not start a thread that is close to all of our hearts? Ukeing, and the holiday season!

I'm sitting here at home with the flue. My lips are chapped, I can't breathe through my nose, it might be going into my lungs, and I can't sleep laying down because of my nose. But I'm in a good mood.

Why? In November, I was Ukulele window shopping online, as you do, and saw MP had one for sale that was everything I'd want in a concert uke. He still had it, and I'd just gotten some Christmas money from home, the gift that keeps on giving. Jackpot! Instant ukulele! It got here, and my husband looked it over, and LOCKED THE CASE. It's sitting under the tree.

Passing the good ukulele feeling on, I was talking to my mother-in-law. I asked her about ukulele and she said she used to play guitar, and is interested in anything new and different. She plays a digeridoo (or however you spell it), so I take her at her word. I got her a concert Makala. She'll get the case that came with the MP concert. That's also sitting under the tree.

So then my new MP will need a nice case. I ordered a black Kala hard case from Mike at ukulele24.de. What showed up was a KOOLAU black concert case. Mike is just very awesome in that way. I got to meet him at the at the Uke Xmas Jam, and he was just great. Another score!

Then tonight, I'm talking with one of my FUN friends. He has a soprano that needs a good home. I can't say much about it yet, but it's a Holy Grail kind of uke, the kind you can't buy. He's letting me pay for it monthly. WOW!

So I feel rather Ukulele Blessed right now, and I also feel that I have some practicing to do. I've already read some threads where members have been surprised recently with new ukes. Post your stories here! Are you getting a new uke for Christmas? Have you gotten it already? Are you giving one for Christmas? Post your stories here!

freedive135
12-20-2008, 03:25 PM
Congrats on that MP, a friend picked up his Pono Tenor that was on backorder for about 6 months the other day and his wife took it from him and put it under the tree!!

I'm wondering how much trouble/grief I'll be in if I pickup/pay off my Koaloha Soprano thats been on layaway and put it under the tree "Merry Christmas to Me!!!".
The other half doesn't know I have it on layaway yet and it looks different enough she will know its not my Pono!!!!

thejumpingflea
12-20-2008, 03:29 PM
I know that I will be getting a Sopranino and a Melodica. I am very excited for x-mas morning at the moment. :D

Plainsong
12-20-2008, 03:42 PM
My husband isn't too happy with me about the development of the upcoming soprano. "Why can't you just buy it in the summer?" Well, because it's one you can't buy, and this friend is letting me pay him monthly and I just can't pass it up. We can afford it, that's not the issue. The issue is .... another uke and he doesn't pay the bills and thinks we're broke.

And he's a music guy, but he doesn't really get the differences. There's no point in my trying to explain how much better it is. It's not a bass, so he doesn't care.

Waterguy
12-20-2008, 03:45 PM
Um....."This is the first chance I've had to see if I'm welcome here".....seems a little insecure to me after near 1000 posts. I have under 100 and I feel completley welcome. I feel that way cause I play a Uke and this comunity loves Uke players.

I totally get the rest of your post though. I had been playing a Kala for near half a year. I was enjoying it quite a bit but I was also listening to lots of great vids. So about a month ago I bought a Kanile'a K1 from MGM. Now you need to understand that I had run this purchase by my wife ahead of time. Wife said no. I bought it anyway......

Hmmm you are all wondering about the long term posibility of Waterguy staying married at this point.

This is the first and only time I have done anything like this in 20 years of marriage. On top of that, my income improved significantly a couple of years ago. Bottom line, my marriage is fine but......

There will be no presents for Waterguy under the tree this year. My beloved Kanile'a will get wrapped up...probobly on Dec. 24.

You know what? I'm fine with that. My Kanile'a is my favorite thing atm and I don't see that changing any time soon. So I am indeed having a Very Ukulele Christmas. The only difference is that I have had the joy of playing my new uke quite a bit before unwrapping it.

Plainsong
12-20-2008, 03:54 PM
I'm not insecure, there's a backstory to that. I may yet get run out of Dodge with pitchforks, I don't know.

Anyways, I understand you. They just don't get it. I mean if you were starving yourselves out of house and home for a huge pile of ukuleles, then that's a problem. But they don't get why you need it. It's the only musical instrument I've ever played that also relieves stress. :)

When my husband was knocking around gift ideas for me, besides a custom Souldier strap for the uke, I told him not to feel one bit bad for me. I'm not going to feel bad opening up a case with an MP Uke in it. And I won't feel bad with that incoming soprano. :)

I hope your wife has a little mercy on you as long as you don't make a habit of it. :)

drubin
12-20-2008, 04:01 PM
Congrats on your new MP, Plainsong! Mike's ukes are the cat's meow, if you ask me! :D Enjoy your ukulele-tastic holiday season!

Best regards,

david

dnewton2
12-20-2008, 04:18 PM
Plainsong,

I haven't ever really directly replyed to you but I am really glad you have decided to actively join us here at the forums. I hope you have a very ukulele christmas. I am not getting a uke for christmas but I am after tax season so I am making plans. Maybe MP but there are alot of good builders out there. Welcome back.

RON<>VA
12-20-2008, 04:37 PM
Plainsong- a warm and fuzzy welcome back to U U. :)

Captain Google
12-20-2008, 06:36 PM
I don't have much money at the moment, but I did hint to my cousin that I intend to get him an uke when I did. Hopefully, I'll be able to have the funds next month; depends on how much of my SSI I spend on other necessities. Granted, my birthday is that month, but music is very important!

The only remaining question is, what brand should I get him as a first uke? Decisions, decisions.

Plainsong
12-20-2008, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the welcome back guys, only on UU is it possible. :)

I also gave a uke for the first time this year, and I went with a Makala concert. With the Aquila strings on, it's actually not at all bad. The geared tuners make it easy to tune and the neck was surprisingly nice, especially compared to my Kala tenor.

If she doesn't want it, I'll happily keep it, but I think she'll want it. The drawback is that it's not solid of course, but it gave me that happy medium of price to performance for a first time uker.

ricdoug
12-20-2008, 10:33 PM
I've given away 8 ukuleles as Christmas Gifts. Does that count? Ric

HoldinCoffee
12-20-2008, 11:40 PM
I bought myself the greatest Christmas gift EVER! Solid mahogany concert!! Santa Claus said he's gonna drop it off early!!!!

Plainsong
12-21-2008, 03:42 AM
No opening it until Christmas!

wickedwahine11
12-21-2008, 05:03 AM
I had been playing a Kala for near half a year. I was enjoying it quite a bit but I was also listening to lots of great vids. So about a month ago I bought a Kanile'a K1 from MGM. My beloved Kanile'a will get wrapped up...probobly on Dec. 24. So I am indeed having a Very Ukulele Christmas. The only difference is that I have had the joy of playing my new uke quite a bit before unwrapping it.

Looks like we are in the same boat! I had a Kala and really wanted a solid koa uke so I bought myself a Kanilea last week. It is sitting quietly in its wall hanger but I was planning on wrapping it to put under the tree as well. My spouse (like yours) wasn't for it...in fact, the price is still my little secret. Hey if I married a non-musician who thinks it is probably about $300 I'm sure as hell not going to correct that little misjudgment of its true cost.

I paid for it with the sale of my Kala and a secret stash in a savings account that I keep hidden for purchases like these.

I'm actually having a totally uke-y Christmas with a UU tshirt under the tree as well as a couple of ukulele books as well. I bought them early but won't let myself wear the shirt or read the books until after the holiday.

Okay, how lame is that? A ukulele Christmas but I bought all the stuff myself. :confused:

haole
12-21-2008, 05:35 AM
I'm celebrating Christmas a little late this year. Money is tight, I just got a uke for my birthday last month (my pineapple Flea!), and I'm more concerned with getting rid of stuff than accumulating stuff. I need to craigslist about half of the musical gear in my room before I can justify bringing in more ukes and spending money on ukes for others. :eek:

I think I can make a few people very happy once I get some cash together and raid MGM's ebay store, though. :D

Plainsong
12-21-2008, 08:22 AM
It's the thought that counts. And no way could have gotten TWO ukes if not for the extreme kindness of a local ukester here. He's going to let me test it, but it's safe to say it will pass the test. I've played it before.

But I'm even more thrilled to finally get the chance to give one as a gift. I just wish I could be there when it's opened, but it'll have to wait a week after the fact.

I've also got one for sale, and what with everyone's Christmas budget going bust, it'll probably be a while before it gets sold.

SinisterDom
12-21-2008, 02:32 PM
It's the thought that counts. And no way could have gotten TWO ukes if not for the extreme kindness of a local ukester here. He's going to let me test it, but it's safe to say it will pass the test. I've played it before.

But I'm even more thrilled to finally get the chance to give one as a gift. I just wish I could be there when it's opened, but it'll have to wait a week after the fact.

I've also got one for sale, and what with everyone's Christmas budget going bust, it'll probably be a while before it gets sold.

Watcha sellin'?

Ukulele Dude
12-21-2008, 03:04 PM
Welcome back Plainsong.

It is already a very merry Christmas for Ukulele Dude. This is what I'm getting this year. I've had it about a week, and I'm already in love with it. Its my first electric anything (well, musical instrument-wise).

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e255/Boondoggle1/CIMG2727.jpg

Plainsong
12-21-2008, 03:37 PM
I'm looking to sell it locally due to shipping costs and stress, but it's my Koaloha ksm-00. It's one soprano too many. I'll replace it with a superconcert later on next year. :)

Uke Dude, welcome to Team Electric. What kind of amp do you have? I'd suggest an acoustic. I saw the light myself there a few months ago. They are big, but you can get good ones for cheap.

experimentjon
12-21-2008, 04:18 PM
I'm probably not going to have a very ukulele christmas this year. :(

Haha, but not to worry. It's only because I'm going on a trip to Hong Kong (leaving tomorrow morning and packing as soon as I finish typing this,) and don't have the space to carry a uke with me. Rocking the backpack as my carry-on and laptop as my personal item. But I do hope to purchase a uke there if I can find one in a music store...also hoping to find a well priced guitar to bring back with me. But finding a playable uke there so that I can have a very ukulele Christmas would be great. Crossing my fingers! :)

sukie
12-21-2008, 04:42 PM
No uke for me this Christmas. Last year I had no ukuleles and no thoughts about playing the ukulele. This year I have 4 ukuleles and need no more. What a year! It was the best year ever.

WELCOME BACK PLAINSONG!!!

the new guy
12-21-2008, 04:57 PM
i bought my god daughter a pink makala for christmas. she saw me playing and said she wanted one

Plainsong
12-21-2008, 05:06 PM
I can't wait until my niece is old enough for a uke. She probably is already, but her mom and her mom's SO wouldn't know how to string or tune. That would have been her dad, who passed away a few years ago. :( If Martin was still with us, I'd order a couple of kit ukes. He was a musician and carpenter. In building one for me, he'd wonder about it enough to build one for him.

But her grandmother is getting a Makala from me, so maybe the bug will bite. :)

I don't think I'll be having very ukulele Christmases very often, but this one is one to remember. The first pic will be coming tonight. :)

wildhunter
12-21-2008, 05:57 PM
I'm sort of having a ukulele christmas. Thanks to my wonderful wife, I got my first uke (a pono tenor cedar top) for my birthday earlier this month.

Unfortunately my E string broke the other day and I can't find a set locally to replace it. I ordered a new set of worth strings from elderly and with any luck they'll get here by the new year.

B!rch
12-21-2008, 07:15 PM
I'm getting my lanikai Ck-c for christmas!! and I can't wait hehe after borrowing my friend's repeatedly lately to play :P

DeG
12-21-2008, 07:43 PM
Some of you have probably seen my video on youtube "All I want for Christmas is a Pineapple Sunday" which was a pathetic attempt at a not so subtle hint to my wife... Well, she said that it was a little too pricy. So, I went to MGM on E-bay and started sending her links to every tenor Uke that I would like to have, starting around $1000 and ending around $250. So, hopefully she'll pick out a nice one.. I've been snooping around (yes, I'm a man-child) but haven't seen any suspicious packages. But she is sneaky, actually I half think that the whole "Pineapple Sunday is too expensive" thing was a ruse to throw me off. So, I'll let you know how it goes... :D

In the meantime...I hope you all have a great Christmas and get whatever your uke'n heart desires!

Plainsong
12-21-2008, 08:25 PM
Oh oh! If she were me, you wouldn't find it, and it would be the Pineapple Sunday. I was gonna get Anders a Fender bass, but then he got Martin's old Ibanez, and it shot that idea out of the water. The Ibanez was made when even an Ibanez had to be great.

Actually I couldn't rely on my husband to get me a uke. I can rely on him to check one out, I can rely on him to LOCK THE CASE on me, and wrap it, but buy it? Nope. We're at that stage of the marriage where the wife buys her own gifts because husbands are crap at buying gifts. ;)

Even if it's not a Pineapple, you gotta post what you got! :)

Ukulele Dude
12-22-2008, 03:52 AM
I'm looking to sell it locally due to shipping costs and stress, but it's my Koaloha ksm-00. It's one soprano too many. I'll replace it with a superconcert later on next year. :)

Uke Dude, welcome to Team Electric. What kind of amp do you have? I'd suggest an acoustic. I saw the light myself there a few months ago. They are big, but you can get good ones for cheap.

I got a Vox Da5. I wanted something small that could run on battery or electric

wickedwahine11
12-22-2008, 04:18 AM
We're at that stage of the marriage where the wife buys her own gifts because husbands are crap at buying gifts.

I feel for you sister, but I'm glad to see I'm not the only one at that stage. Christmas, anniversary, birthday you name it -- I buy it myself. My last two anniversary presents were a black pearl ring and a black pearl bracelet I bought while in Hawaii -- called home and said, will you buy this for me?

Otherwise, I end up with spice racks or other kitchen utensils.

At least I have my UU shirt and uke books and Kanilea to open under the tree. -- all purchased by me. That will save me from a fate of toasters and slippers! Hey wait, I paid for all that myself. I only used the household charge for some new Worth strings, a Kanilea tshirt and koa pegs. Oh well, at least I can count on those as gifts. I guess it really is a very ukey Christmas.

DeG
12-22-2008, 06:24 AM
I feel for you sister, but I'm glad to see I'm not the only one at that stage. Christmas, anniversary, birthday you name it -- I buy it myself. My last two anniversary presents were a black pearl ring and a black pearl bracelet I bought while in Hawaii -- called home and said, will you buy this for me?

Otherwise, I end up with spice racks or other kitchen utensils.

You ladies have me all nervous now...you mean I should not have bought my wife a leaf blower for Christmas??? :D

HaileISela
12-22-2008, 06:38 AM
And he's a music guy, but he doesn't really get the differences. There's no point in my trying to explain how much better it is. It's not a bass, so he doesn't care.

hehe, bass players :P

well, I bought a Greg Bennett UK 50 for my little sister today, it's not the best Uke you can get, but for 40 pretty good. It's all Nato wood and apart from the fancy headstock nothing special, but I kind of liked the headstock and it was by far the best Uke you could get in my town -.-' And it's just meant to be for the beginning, to let her get the feeling and love for a Uke... As far as I could see yet, the intonation is pretty spot on, but I think I'm gonna order her some Aquila for it... but hey, I read so much about deach today, I just had to deach my sis^^ And I hope she's gonna like it!

:nana:

omfgitsangela
12-22-2008, 07:52 AM
you're lucky to only have to argue with your spouse because yall are "equals."
parents however, are much harder to convince that you need another uke.
oh well, my birthday is coming up soon. :uhoh:

Plainsong
12-22-2008, 10:19 AM
You're one of those Christmas/Birthday ones too? Yeah, mom tried so hard to keep the two apart, but it never worked.

My husband couldn't tell the difference between the Koaloha and Helsinki sopranos. Me thinks he jammed too close to the amps while growing up.

Pippin
12-22-2008, 01:03 PM
This year, I am writing reviews of several ukuleles. I just finished a review of a vintage Martin "0" for the magazine (Ukulele Player) and I am doing a Pohaku for next month, plus an Ohana and a Kala... when the January issue is released you'll see what has kept me so busy.

Captain Google
12-22-2008, 01:10 PM
You ladies have me all nervous now...you mean I should not have bought my wife a leaf blower for Christmas??? :D

Well, leaf blowers are bad for the environment, so yes. ;)

Plainsong
12-22-2008, 01:42 PM
With all this ragging on the husbands, I have to thank mine for resignedly being happy for me, and picking this up for me today:

http://plainsong.typepad.com/photos/uke_corner/dscn0902.png

http://plainsong.typepad.com/photos/uke_corner/dscn0905.png

Holy freakin' crap, it's a nice uke. Understatement of the century.

leo76dragon
12-22-2008, 03:36 PM
Well I'm having a very ukulele xmas!!! http://koaloha.com/Images/Custom_Works/BenCustom2008/BenCustom157.jpg

http://koaloha.com/Images/Custom_Works/BenCustom2008/BenCustom164.jpg
Mahalos to Musicguymic!

:nana: I told my wife this is the last one.... hehehehe ;)

Plainsong
12-22-2008, 03:56 PM
Oh you've got to post of vid of that one. That is one weird uke... in a good way. :)

"This is the last one" - yeahhhh... I've said that once or twice.

leo76dragon
12-22-2008, 05:57 PM
Oh you've got to post of vid of that one. That is one weird uke... in a good way. :)

"This is the last one" - yeahhhh... I've said that once or twice.

It's a Koaloha Custom Tenor. Made out of Cedar and Spruce for the soundboard with Curly Koa and Curly Maple as the back. Macassar ebony and Koa as the sides. The neck is curly maple, mohagany, curly mango.

DeG
12-22-2008, 06:54 PM
Leo: I was eye balling that one on MGM myself..sorry if it had any drool on it when you got it, my bad... :D

Plainsong...help me get wrap my brain around this...You're in Finland, and you have beautiful new Helsinki ukulele..(so far no problem) that was made in Wales (what?!) There must be some back story that I'm missing, help me out. How did a ukulele called a Helsinki, come to be made in Wales..only to be sold back in Finland?? :D It is sweet looking regardless...Congrats!!!

nikolo727
12-22-2008, 07:08 PM
i was wishing for a new uke this year for christmas but then my dad blew meh away by buying me a pair of skiis. he actually bought mine, my brohs, and himself some skiis, with a whopping over 1k bill. happily enough, i am content with the ukuleles i have....for now. lol

so heres my plan. Right after my wisdom teeth are taken out, im gonna strap on my skiis and my uke and go to the top of a mountain and uke the snow away.....

sorry for about ten minutes there i went into what i like to call UIDDC.

Ukulele Induced Day Dream Coma.

:D

menehunenyc
12-22-2008, 07:17 PM
I got my gift from heaven last year (well, my angelic parents gifted me my Kamaka tenor last Xmas) so I don't anticipate getting anything else uke related this year, and for many years to come. Only the joy that comes with learning a new song and then jamming with my buds on the block...good times...:rolleyes:

Pippin
12-22-2008, 08:56 PM
Leo: I was eye balling that one on MGM myself..sorry if it had any drool on it when you got it, my bad... :D

Plainsong...help me get wrap my brain around this...You're in Finland, and you have beautiful new Helsinki ukulele..(so far no problem) that was made in Wales (what?!) There must be some back story that I'm missing, help me out. How did a ukulele called a Helsinki, come to be made in Wales..only to be sold back in Finland?? :D It is sweet looking regardless...Congrats!!!

Well, ponder this: Arizona Tea makes "Asia Plum" and it is a "product of Canada", huh?

rob.gorman
12-23-2008, 02:58 AM
Looks like I'm going to have my first uke Christmas this year. I was up early two Saturday's ago reading as usual and there on the coffee table was an invoice. As I am the bill payer in the house (wife did it for 20yrs while I was on submarines) it caught my eye and I read it. It appears that she bought me a Bounty Spruce front tenor starter kit. She had it shipped to my daughter's house and I'm sure it won't be under the tree until the last minute.

Can't seem to find anything about the instrument on line other than the short description on the Bounty Music page. Nonetheless, I have spent the last week and change reading all I could find and watching videos. I am very excited and can hardly wait to try some chords and strums!!:D

Plainsong
12-23-2008, 04:42 AM

Pete could explain it better than I. I came in at the tale end of the deal, but what happened was a couple of years ago there was a big uke festival here. Pete came with a soprano he built for the festival and it was raffled off. It was such a sweet uke that the local ukesters couldn't just leave it at that. Pete figured he had enough of that batch of wood for about 14 or so, so the orders quickly filled up and the Helsinki Uke was ready for the same time the next year.

I was there for the big unveiling. It was the day I got my Uklectic. Bosko and Honey were there as well, and a good time was had by all.

If I got any of the details wrong, Juha or Pete can give us the full story, but it's one of the best ukes I'll ever play.

DeG
12-23-2008, 10:03 AM
Oh, that makes sense... I learned something today.:) It sure looks like a beauty!

Rubbertoe
12-23-2008, 12:03 PM
I'm not having a ukulele Christmas but I might decide to have a Happy Ukulele New Years! Unfortunately the photography biz dries up when the weather gets cold here in Canada so I had to get a "real" job for now. My reward for sitting at a desk for 8 hours a night (it's a afternoon-night shift)? I'm gonna gets me a new uke after my first pay cheque. But in the spirit of ukulele gifts, the uke has been my gift of choice to give for the last 4 birthdays for my friends/family. Hmmm.... that sentence was awkward but you guys get what I'm saying. When you start thinking about new ukes your brain doesn't work as well as it normally does.

Plainsong
12-23-2008, 01:06 PM
No, it doesn't. Here I am trying to sell the Koaloha to have one LESS uke, and here it might happen that I do a trade with Mike from Ukulele24.de for one MORE uke. It makes no sense but ... but..... new uke! new uke! ;)

Oh, and the original Helsinki Soprano in action - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj4nU7l1Nbs

Howie1947
12-23-2008, 02:01 PM
I lost my job recently so you can imagine how I feel. The wife and I are not going to have a nice Christmas. I may have to start selling some of my ukes to pay for bills. We have a Christmas tree and there are but a few gifts under the tree. I wish I could be happy but it is hard. We are doing the best we can........Howie

benplaut
12-23-2008, 03:34 PM
I'm having a very uke christmas! Just finished my first build, and Ceder/Mango/Mango tenor and it sounds FANTASTIC!

...and signed up for building a 8 string baritone next year.

jackf
12-23-2008, 03:48 PM
I got my Christmas Ukulele early - my wife and I took a retirement trip to Maui in November and while there I bought a Mele Koa Concert. It plays very nicely and I have replaced the Hilo strings with Aquilas. I have been playing it quite a bit, but am constantly being reminded that it is a Christmas present - My answer - so was the Hawaii trip.

DeG
12-23-2008, 04:34 PM
Well, I thought I was pretty specific in my video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr8svl5UEBo) but I guess not!
I just got my first Christmas present of the year...and it is just what I asked for....sort of....

http://www2.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/54fcd04c405cbbf38661d9d5fb03a2214g.jpg

I haven't given up yet though, 2 days to go!!! :D

menehunenyc
12-23-2008, 04:54 PM
Well, I thought I was pretty specific in my video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr8svl5UEBo) but I guess not!
I just got my first Christmas present of the year...and it is just what I asked for....sort of....

http://www2.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/54fcd04c405cbbf38661d9d5fb03a2214g.jpg

I haven't given up yet though, 2 days to go!!! :D

Yeow!!Like a lion with a mouse, she is just toying with ya!!

Plainsong
12-23-2008, 05:40 PM
Next, I predict socks, and embarrasing Christmas sweater. ;) You must feel like the kid in A Christmas Story. :D

Plainsong
12-23-2008, 05:42 PM
I lost my job recently so you can imagine how I feel. The wife and I are not going to have a nice Christmas. I may have to start selling some of my ukes to pay for bills. We have a Christmas tree and there are but a few gifts under the tree. I wish I could be happy but it is hard. We are doing the best we can........Howie

If you need a place to vent, we're here for ya. You have each other, just try to remember that.

DeG
12-23-2008, 07:24 PM
Next, I predict socks, and embarrasing Christmas sweater. ;) You must feel like the kid in A Christmas Story. :D

I may be changing my screen name to Ralphy soon.... :D

Plainsong
12-24-2008, 01:01 AM
It IS raining ukuleles. I should have sold the Koaloha, but I traded it for a new Pono PCO from Mike at ukulele24.de. My excuse is that I need a "beater" uke.

Our big day is tonight, so the Helsinki uke stays in its case and I finally get to lay eyes on the MP.

Howie1947
12-24-2008, 04:52 AM
Thanks Plainsong..........

wildhunter
12-24-2008, 05:47 PM
I recieved my strings early Thanks to Elderly and UPS ground for quick packaging and shipment.

Slick
12-24-2008, 06:08 PM
This came today...

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h32/OCHanks/67-01.jpg?t=1230181583

:nana::nana::nana:

allinfun
12-25-2008, 04:27 AM
Mine came early, like in October. Andrew Kitakis and Dean from Ko'olau went through and picked it out themselves. All they were asked for was the best sounding, best intonation. The pictures aren't great, they don't do the wood justice, I'm camera impaired. His name is Trick, as he's all pimped out. Christmas carols don't necessarily sound better as I magically didn't get better playing, but they sure look good.

Soundwise it's lovely, intonation is spot on all the way up the neck. Hated the strings so Trick now sports Aquilas, and I'm happy. Once these wear out I'll try Worths for kicks.

h-drix
12-25-2008, 04:33 AM
no ukes from my family but that Gstring i ordered a very long time ago will hopefully come in by mid january.

dnewton2
12-25-2008, 05:29 AM
I didn't get a uke but I did get IZ's songbook so now I have some cool songs to try and learn.

TsouL
12-25-2008, 05:33 AM
i know russ and deach had fun drinking the night away with some very bad ukulele playing afterwards due to over consumption of beer alcohol water soda lol this is just a guess

Pippin
12-25-2008, 06:30 AM
This came today...

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h32/OCHanks/67-01.jpg?t=1230181583

:nana::nana::nana:

Congratulations. I had a chance to play that ukulele when I interviewed Dave Gjessing for Ukulele Player Magazine. Dave brought that ukulele and the "prim" inspired uke he had just finished with him to the interview. Your banjolele may be the exact one that appeared in the article. Very nice ukulele. I love Dave's setups.

ahreeka
12-25-2008, 06:44 AM
First off Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone :). I got myself a Christmas present from MGM and it's a Makala Concert and it's my very first "real" ukulele. I've been playing ukulele for only 3 weeks with my friends cheap souvenir uke and I already knew that I was ready to upgrade to a Concert instead of a Soprano! :D

DeG
12-25-2008, 02:10 PM
Well, no Pineapple Sunday this year, but no worries. The uke I got is super sweet. It's a deluxe Pono tenor from MGM. My wife made an excellent choice, high G setup, bridge pick-up, solid Koa..I could not be happier. Also, got an HD camera. So, I'm going try to get a video made tonight so y'all can have a listen.:D

http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/5c6b60f6c2644af87c70b25f14ccd13b2g.jpg

Update: Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSFYxCwQ3qY)

menehunenyc
12-25-2008, 06:12 PM
Just saw your video. Very nice sound to that Pono. Really enjoyed the picking!! Must be nice to have a new 'baby' in the house. Congrats on the cool gift.

Edit: How was the Pineapple sunday that you DID get? Tasty?

DeG
12-25-2008, 06:43 PM
Just saw your video. Very nice sound to that Pono. Really enjoyed the picking!! Must be nice to have a new 'baby' in the house. Congrats on the cool gift.

Edit: How was the Pineapple sunday that you DID get? Tasty?

Thanks MenehuneNYC! I'm not used to those Ko'olau Gold strings. They seem pretty heavy. That picking was wearing out my finger tips! This may be what Allinfun was talking about a couple of posts up in this thread. I'm going to stick with 'em for a while though and see how they break in.

The Pineapple Sunday (sundae) was ono :D

Plainsong
12-25-2008, 08:08 PM
Well at least it was a nice uke. A very well thought-out gift.

So here's a post that will eventually be made in the pr0n thread, but here's the new MP w/ custom Souldier strap. This is #44 that Mike had on his site for a while that no one seemed to want.. suckers! Right now I've got Aquilas on.

http://plainsong.typepad.com/photos/uke_corner/dscn0921.png

http://plainsong.typepad.com/photos/uke_corner/dscn0925.png

http://plainsong.typepad.com/photos/uke_corner/dscn0922.png

http://plainsong.typepad.com/photos/uke_corner/dscn0926.png

She's deep and rich, but also koa bright. I have to get used to the extra space between the strings, but I find it already a bit forgiving of my lack of technique.

DeG
12-25-2008, 08:33 PM
Nice! What is that binding curly maple? That extra spacing between the strings would be good for someone like me (fat fingers), I would probably play my soprano more if it were like that:D

Plainsong
12-25-2008, 09:42 PM
Yeah, it's curly maple. The pics don't do it justice, but with the light-on-darker wood makes it blingy without looking blingy. :)

Sayyadina
12-26-2008, 12:25 AM
Wow Plainsong! That thing sure looks cool as hell! Enjoy playing it! :music:

Pippin
12-26-2008, 02:45 AM
Yeah, it's curly maple. The pics don't do it justice, but with the light-on-darker wood makes it blingy without looking blingy. :)

What a classy looking instrument.
Congratulations.

GrumpyOldMan
12-27-2008, 01:24 AM
For my Christmas present from my wife I was expecting this
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v706/Brockyman/TaUkeKit.jpg

but I wasn't expecting to get this as well :D
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v706/Brockyman/Tanglewood-Uke.jpg
It's a Tanglewood concert and really nice it is too. I'd told her about a Tanglewood soprano I played on a while back in Manchester and she'd written it down. Then I told her I was thinking about a Concert so she searched and found this and it's great!

I am going to start the kit uke today probably so I will keep a photo record and upload it somewhere. It's a cheapo Basswood kit but I fancied having a play with something before I get a Stewmac kit, although if the exchange rate carries on like it has been doing :eek: that might be a while.

Ian, Lanacaster UK.

GrumpyOldMan
12-27-2008, 12:58 PM
Howie, You have my sympathy with that one. I was given a letter as I was about to leave work on Monday, 22nd December, that I will likely be made redundant mid January. Needless to say that I wasn't in the best frame of mind for Christmas. However my wife gave me the Uke in the post above and that cheered me up no end! Doubt I can make a living from playing it though, lol.
Hope you (and I) get sorted soon!
Ian.

HaileISela
12-30-2008, 09:16 AM
wow, there really is no better gift than a Ukulele. I gave the one I told you to my sister on christmas, and my older brother who was visiting the family fell in love with Ukulele as well (though he never made any kind of music before...). He was checking out all the shops close to his home today but decided to get the same Uke as I have (Kala spruce Concert). so he's going to get that ASAP^^ haha, already a victim of the lovely UAS he is^^

btw, my mom wants to learn Uke now as well... so I gave away one Uke and three people came to the glorious family of Ukulele players!

that's a very Ukulele christmas. period.

drubin
12-30-2008, 03:08 PM
Congrats on your new MP, Plainsong! Looks gorgeous!

bbycrts
12-31-2008, 06:21 AM
Wow...my first post...

I got a Lanikai spruce baritone for Christmas, but it didn't take long to know that a tenor was really what I wanted.

The bari was given as a kind of "place holder" - my mom knew I wanted a uke, knew I played a little guitar, so got the closest thing to a guitar and told me to consider it something to open, but not the permanent gift...

So now I have a Pono tenor on its way - I follow its every move through the UPS system...can't wait!

Jon

d'uke
12-31-2008, 08:34 AM
I wasn't even expecting a very ukulele x-mas at all this year since not even 2 months ago i treated myself to a applause tenor.
but my sneaky sister noticed i was drooling over a risa electric tenor and teamed up with my mom to get it for me best xmas surprise EVER!

http://ukulele.de/shop/product_info.php?info=p15_RISA-Uke-Electric-Tenor.html&XTCsid=prror4g2gu520cq2520fmdh254

uke142464
12-31-2008, 03:28 PM
instruments wise, no ukes, buuuuttt, hohner blues harp, standard strumstick, didgeridoo, and a jaw harp. fuuun fuuun stuff!:D

uke142464
12-31-2008, 03:29 PM
I wasn't even expecting a very ukulele x-mas at all this year since not even 2 months ago i treated myself to a applause tenor.
but my sneaky sister noticed i was drooling over a risa electric tenor and teamed up with my mom to get it for me best xmas surprise EVER!

http://ukulele.de/shop/product_info.php?info=p15_RISA-Uke-Electric-Tenor.html&XTCsid=prror4g2gu520cq2520fmdh254

that thing is sweeeet:D

Plainsong
01-01-2009, 09:53 PM
My mother-in-law has a digeridoo, which is why I knew she wouldn't think a uke was "weird." We'll miss seeing her when we head out there for the weekend in a few hours, but she'll be in Helsinki later on this month, and she wants me to bring my uke. :D

Planet_JP
01-07-2009, 03:50 AM
My girlfriend got me a ukulele for a christmas gift as a joke (because she thought that a 2 meter tall guy with a soprano uke will look funny as hell... guess she was right... :rolleyes:) but I fell in love with it and started learning immediately!:) So yes, I had a VERY UKULELE christmas!:music:
Happy new year everybody!

upskydowncloud
01-07-2009, 03:54 AM
So I feel rather Ukulele Blessed right now, and I also feel that I have some practicing to do. I've already read some threads where members have been surprised recently with new ukes. Post your stories here! Are you getting a new uke for Christmas? Have you gotten it already? Are you giving one for Christmas? Post your stories here!

My family surprised me with a semi-custom Kamaka HF-3 four string for Christmas, I can't wait for it to arrive. It's going to be another three weeks though. Oh the pain!