So who's having a Very Ukulele Christmas?

Plainsong

Reaction score
This is the first chance I've had to see if I'm welcome here, so why not start a thread that is close to all of our hearts? Ukeing, and the holiday season!

I'm sitting here at home with the flue. My lips are chapped, I can't breathe through my nose, it might be going into my lungs, and I can't sleep laying down because of my nose. But I'm in a good mood.

Why? In November, I was Ukulele window shopping online, as you do, and saw MP had one for sale that was everything I'd want in a concert uke. He still had it, and I'd just gotten some Christmas money from home, the gift that keeps on giving. Jackpot! Instant ukulele! It got here, and my husband looked it over, and LOCKED THE CASE. It's sitting under the tree.

Passing the good ukulele feeling on, I was talking to my mother-in-law. I asked her about ukulele and she said she used to play guitar, and is interested in anything new and different. She plays a digeridoo (or however you spell it), so I take her at her word. I got her a concert Makala. She'll get the case that came with the MP concert. That's also sitting under the tree.

So then my new MP will need a nice case. I ordered a black Kala hard case from Mike at ukulele24.de. What showed up was a KOOLAU black concert case. Mike is just very awesome in that way. I got to meet him at the at the Uke Xmas Jam, and he was just great. Another score!

Then tonight, I'm talking with one of my FUN friends. He has a soprano that needs a good home. I can't say much about it yet, but it's a Holy Grail kind of uke, the kind you can't buy. He's letting me pay for it monthly. WOW!

So I feel rather Ukulele Blessed right now, and I also feel that I have some practicing to do. I've already read some threads where members have been surprised recently with new ukes. Post your stories here! Are you getting a new uke for Christmas? Have you gotten it already? Are you giving one for Christmas? Post your stories here!

Congrats on that MP, a friend picked up his Pono Tenor that was on backorder for about 6 months the other day and his wife took it from him and put it under the tree!!

I'm wondering how much trouble/grief I'll be in if I pickup/pay off my Koaloha Soprano thats been on layaway and put it under the tree "Merry Christmas to Me!!!".
The other half doesn't know I have it on layaway yet and it looks different enough she will know its not my Pono!!!!

Last edited:
My husband isn't too happy with me about the development of the upcoming soprano. "Why can't you just buy it in the summer?" Well, because it's one you can't buy, and this friend is letting me pay him monthly and I just can't pass it up. We can afford it, that's not the issue. The issue is .... another uke and he doesn't pay the bills and thinks we're broke.

And he's a music guy, but he doesn't really get the differences. There's no point in my trying to explain how much better it is. It's not a bass, so he doesn't care.

Um....."This is the first chance I've had to see if I'm welcome here".....seems a little insecure to me after near 1000 posts. I have under 100 and I feel completley welcome. I feel that way cause I play a Uke and this comunity loves Uke players.

I totally get the rest of your post though. I had been playing a Kala for near half a year. I was enjoying it quite a bit but I was also listening to lots of great vids. So about a month ago I bought a Kanile'a K1 from MGM. Now you need to understand that I had run this purchase by my wife ahead of time. Wife said no. I bought it anyway......

Hmmm you are all wondering about the long term posibility of Waterguy staying married at this point.

This is the first and only time I have done anything like this in 20 years of marriage. On top of that, my income improved significantly a couple of years ago. Bottom line, my marriage is fine but......

There will be no presents for Waterguy under the tree this year. My beloved Kanile'a will get wrapped up...probobly on Dec. 24.

You know what? I'm fine with that. My Kanile'a is my favorite thing atm and I don't see that changing any time soon. So I am indeed having a Very Ukulele Christmas. The only difference is that I have had the joy of playing my new uke quite a bit before unwrapping it.

I'm not insecure, there's a backstory to that. I may yet get run out of Dodge with pitchforks, I don't know.

Anyways, I understand you. They just don't get it. I mean if you were starving yourselves out of house and home for a huge pile of ukuleles, then that's a problem. But they don't get why you need it. It's the only musical instrument I've ever played that also relieves stress. :)

When my husband was knocking around gift ideas for me, besides a custom Souldier strap for the uke, I told him not to feel one bit bad for me. I'm not going to feel bad opening up a case with an MP Uke in it. And I won't feel bad with that incoming soprano. :)

I hope your wife has a little mercy on you as long as you don't make a habit of it. :)

Congrats on your new MP, Plainsong! Mike's ukes are the cat's meow, if you ask me! :D Enjoy your ukulele-tastic holiday season!

Best regards,

david

Plainsong,

I haven't ever really directly replyed to you but I am really glad you have decided to actively join us here at the forums. I hope you have a very ukulele christmas. I am not getting a uke for christmas but I am after tax season so I am making plans. Maybe MP but there are alot of good builders out there. Welcome back.

I don't have much money at the moment, but I did hint to my cousin that I intend to get him an uke when I did. Hopefully, I'll be able to have the funds next month; depends on how much of my SSI I spend on other necessities. Granted, my birthday is that month, but music is very important!

The only remaining question is, what brand should I get him as a first uke? Decisions, decisions.

Thanks for the welcome back guys, only on UU is it possible. :)

I also gave a uke for the first time this year, and I went with a Makala concert. With the Aquila strings on, it's actually not at all bad. The geared tuners make it easy to tune and the neck was surprisingly nice, especially compared to my Kala tenor.

If she doesn't want it, I'll happily keep it, but I think she'll want it. The drawback is that it's not solid of course, but it gave me that happy medium of price to performance for a first time uker.

I bought myself the greatest Christmas gift EVER! Solid mahogany concert!! Santa Claus said he's gonna drop it off early!!!!

I had been playing a Kala for near half a year. I was enjoying it quite a bit but I was also listening to lots of great vids. So about a month ago I bought a Kanile'a K1 from MGM. My beloved Kanile'a will get wrapped up...probobly on Dec. 24. So I am indeed having a Very Ukulele Christmas. The only difference is that I have had the joy of playing my new uke quite a bit before unwrapping it.

Looks like we are in the same boat! I had a Kala and really wanted a solid koa uke so I bought myself a Kanilea last week. It is sitting quietly in its wall hanger but I was planning on wrapping it to put under the tree as well. My spouse (like yours) wasn't for it...in fact, the price is still my little secret. Hey if I married a non-musician who thinks it is probably about $300 I'm sure as hell not going to correct that little misjudgment of its true cost.

I paid for it with the sale of my Kala and a secret stash in a savings account that I keep hidden for purchases like these.

I'm actually having a totally uke-y Christmas with a UU tshirt under the tree as well as a couple of ukulele books as well. I bought them early but won't let myself wear the shirt or read the books until after the holiday.

Okay, how lame is that? A ukulele Christmas but I bought all the stuff myself. :confused:

I'm celebrating Christmas a little late this year. Money is tight, I just got a uke for my birthday last month (my pineapple Flea!), and I'm more concerned with getting rid of stuff than accumulating stuff. I need to craigslist about half of the musical gear in my room before I can justify bringing in more ukes and spending money on ukes for others. :eek:

I think I can make a few people very happy once I get some cash together and raid MGM's ebay store, though. :D

It's the thought that counts. And no way could have gotten TWO ukes if not for the extreme kindness of a local ukester here. He's going to let me test it, but it's safe to say it will pass the test. I've played it before.

But I'm even more thrilled to finally get the chance to give one as a gift. I just wish I could be there when it's opened, but it'll have to wait a week after the fact.

I've also got one for sale, and what with everyone's Christmas budget going bust, it'll probably be a while before it gets sold.

It's the thought that counts. And no way could have gotten TWO ukes if not for the extreme kindness of a local ukester here. He's going to let me test it, but it's safe to say it will pass the test. I've played it before.

But I'm even more thrilled to finally get the chance to give one as a gift. I just wish I could be there when it's opened, but it'll have to wait a week after the fact.

I've also got one for sale, and what with everyone's Christmas budget going bust, it'll probably be a while before it gets sold.

Watcha sellin'?

Welcome back Plainsong.

It is already a very merry Christmas for Ukulele Dude. This is what I'm getting this year. I've had it about a week, and I'm already in love with it. Its my first electric anything (well, musical instrument-wise).

CIMG2727.jpg
[/IMG]

I'm looking to sell it locally due to shipping costs and stress, but it's my Koaloha ksm-00. It's one soprano too many. I'll replace it with a superconcert later on next year. :)

Uke Dude, welcome to Team Electric. What kind of amp do you have? I'd suggest an acoustic. I saw the light myself there a few months ago. They are big, but you can get good ones for cheap.

Top Bottom