Curly Koa pics

billcarr

Reaction score
Totally fascinated by my own curly Koa uke. Not only the sound but also the way the wood appears to be alive and move in waves as the light hits it at different angles.

Would be cool to see photos of other curly koa ukes. Here is mine.

Bill

billcurl.jpg

That is lovely koa! I heard someone doing a review for a shop use the term chatoyant to describe the effect. It's a jeweler's term used to describe tiger's eye and other stones with a changeable luster. I think it's a very fitting term. My walnut and curly koa ukuleles are real gems to me.

Attachments

• 855Back:Side.jpg
    855Back:Side.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 121
  • Glyph Full.jpg
    Glyph Full.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 128
Got lucky with my Kelii--the wood is fairly curly.
attachment.php

"Chatoyant" is a great word.

That is lovely koa! I heard someone doing a review for a shop use the term chatoyant to describe the effect. It's a jeweler's term used to describe tiger's eye and other stones with a changeable luster. I think it's a very fitting term. My walnut and curly koa ukuleles are real gems to me.

That is a Beautiful Glyph. Is that new? I don't remember seeing that on his website .

That is a Beautiful Glyph. Is that new? I don't remember seeing that on his website .

Thank you! It will be 2 years old in July. The picture does not do it justice. Here's a recent video with it. Watch in 720p. I consider myself very fortunate to own one of Dave's ukuleles and to have met him and consider him a friend. He lives 30 minutes from me. What a great guy. I wish he were taking orders, I would love a myrtle mezzo soprano Glyph. Maybe some day.

EDIT: People have been asking for a tab for this. I use the one at Dominator Ukulele Tabs. Thanks Dom! (I do not play it as written.)

Last edited:
One of the most beautiful curly koa I've ever seen is the one made by Gérard. MUST see :

http://www.ukulele.fr/forum/index.php?topic=13935.msg151429#msg151429

My hugest mistake is I haven't purchased this beauty. And it's too late now...
I just love its waves, sweet honey tan :)

edit : I understand you guys, your curly koa babies are just awesome !!! :)

Last edited:
Collings has three absolutely stunning custom Koa ukuleles on their website. I am lucky to own the UC3 they used for "regular" instrument photos.

UC3 #635.jpg UT41 #672.jpg UT 41 #289 (Bubble Koa).jpg

Collings has three absolutely stunning custom Koa ukuleles on their website. I am lucky to own the UC3 they used for "regular" instrument photos.

View attachment 51445 View attachment 51446 View attachment 51447

Holy crap! Antique violin sunburst, my favourite finish on any instrument (ok, so it looks a bit stupid on a gong, but you know what I mean).

Anyway, my babies...first, the nicest piece of Koa laminate you'll see on a Fender NoHea:

uke.jpg

And my other Uke:

kanilea.jpg

My Kamaka and Kamoa have some curl, and I would absolutely love a KoAloha tenor with some curl. My Kanilea is curly koa though.

image.jpg

Last edited:
The most fascinating curls that I have seen are on Koa Kanilea K1C Premium. Bookmatched top and back have 3D curls running sideways and a deeper wood figuring layer beneath. My dealer saw two 八 figures, which stands for 8 in Chinese characters. Making it an almost compelling reason to buy this uke for display. Tone wise is very warm, mellow.
DSC00876.jpgDSC00139.jpgDSC00140.jpg

Last edited:
I've always lived this one from DeVine:

concert-ukulele.jpg

The most fascinating curls that I have seen are on Koa Kanilea K1C Premium. Bookmatched top and back have 3D curls running sideways and a deeper wood figuring layer beneath. My dealer saw two 八 figures, which stands for 8 in Chinese characters. Making it an almost compelling reason to buy this uke for display. Tone wise is very warm, mellow.
View attachment 51453View attachment 51454View attachment 51455

Oh man, that's unbelievably beautiful!

I'm pretty sure we aren't going to get a similar thread to this, asking for people to post Cedar pictures ;)

I know that there is koa out there with more curl, but I like the way my Kaneli'a super tenor looks; and since someone previously posting included walnut, I included my Kaneli'a flame walnut tenor.

2 Kanelia tenors 2.jpg

2 Kanelia tenors 5.jpg

2 Kanelia tenors 3.jpg

Attachments

• 2Kaneliatenors4_zps59873b7e.jpg
    2Kaneliatenors4_zps59873b7e.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 18
  • 2 Kanelia tenors.jpg
    2 Kanelia tenors.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 22
Curly koa is nice to look at but don't be fooled by a pretty girl's face. Sometimes the plainer ones are a better match for you. There is a LOT to consider when choosing koa as a tone wood. Curl only satisfies the visual aspect. Some curly koa I see used on ukuleles are a disaster waiting to happen down the road.

Last edited:
Top Bottom