NUD - Compass Rose Koa Tenor A Gloss

NewKid

Reaction score
CR Front.jpgCR Body.jpgCR Back.jpg

Aloha UU:

Here is my new Rick Turner Compass Rose with very traditional straight-grained koa that gives it a Kamaka flavor. There is no binding but an upgrade is Rick Turner's famous gloss finish. I love how sleek and elegant it looks.

Thanks to DeForest from the Blue Guitar who had a Gryphon-like run on his CR ukuleles last week! The neck on this ukulele is a little thicker than usual and is the most comfortable I've played.

I put Southcoast medium guage strings on it with two wound and two plain strings tuned to linear C (Low G) and it has made me put all my other ukes back in their cases for now.

This is my first ukulele with a side sound-port, no fretboard markers, and of course the only one with a cantilevered neck. Just an amazing combination of traditional wood with a modern design.

Mahalo,

Don

Last edited:
Aloha Don,
Congrats on your new Compass Rose....Wow Rick is sure pumping them out now....Happy Strummings...

Congrats on the beautiful new CR.

Seems like everyone's "discovered" the CR lately. I'm so jealous of not only yours, but of the what seems like dozens of CR's that have posted lately.

Mine will come with the Southcoast strings (I sent a set to Rick) too. I can't wait to hear how good the combo of a CR w/Southcoast strings will sound. Will you be posting a sound sample?

Enjoy!

Thanks everyone!

Sorry Gary, I won't be posting a sound sample but I'll tell you the two wound and two plain Southcoast strings are a well-balanced combination. And the wound strings really feel like regular strings - I can't recommend them enough: ML-RW is the best Low G tenor string set I've played. They're not cheap at $19 per set but for me they're worth it. I also have the same set on my Mya-Moe baritone but tuned to Bb.

Mahalo,

Don

Congrats Don, It's an outstanding looking C/R. I like the the fretless marker fretboards. Really gives a simple, elegant look. I agree, teh ML-RW's are the best sdtring for linear I've found.

Congratulations on the new Compass Rose! It's good looking. Sounds like you are having a great time!
Lucky lucky guy!

congrats Don. I love the Southcoast and buy them for reentrant and linear. You are on a roll and enjoy the uke. Make sure to give love to you other ones as well.

Thanks to DeForest from the Blue Guitar .....

I also wanted to say a quick thanks to DeForest. I purchased my Ko'olau concert from him a few weeks back and he was great to deal with - really a class act. I highly recommend The Blue Guitar as a quality ukulele dealer. They've got an unusual Pono Pro Classic tenor in stock now made with Wi’awa awa, showing a little heart wood on the back. Looks interesting.

http://shop.theblueguitar.com/products/pono-pro-classic-wtsh-tenor-ukulele

Anyway, glad you had a great experience, Don. That CR looks nice!!

-Steve

Last edited:
Congratulations on your new Compass Rose, it is beautiful.

My new Compass Rose made a "low G believer" out of a confirmed re-entrant tenor player, (me).

Last edited:
Looks great and I'm sure it sounds even better!

WOW another new CR...
congrats Rick and the crew..

Top Bottom