PDA

View Full Version : To low G or not to low G

billcarr
04-06-2013, 04:10 AM
I have 2 tenors. One set up with Low G and the other with high G. I really like the low G sound but it does sound more guitar'ish than the high G set up. High G on the tenor still gives it a very ukulele character.

What do others think about the low G setup?

Its obvious that I am new to uke :)

Bill

lkdumas
04-06-2013, 04:18 AM
You have the perfect set-up. Keep both of them and be able to handle any arrangement of lead melody or comping.

kvehe
04-06-2013, 04:19 AM
I love the low G. I'm more of a fingerstyle player, and so I need the more complete array of notes. I even have a low G soprano, although it came to me that way - I probably wouldn't have thought of doing that myself.

Pondoro
04-06-2013, 04:34 AM
I was put off by the "boomy" sound when I first switched my tenor to low G, but I am used to it now and like it.

bborzell
04-06-2013, 04:48 AM
I came at this issue from the other direction. My first and only uke is a tenor that I had set up with a low G when I bought it. After trying several instruments with both tunings, I kept coming back to low G as my preferred sound.

Fast forward to three weeks later and I am now looking for a new tenor to string with high G. I think it might be related to the rash of high quality builds that provide such full and lush sounds with whatever way they are strung.

Dan Uke
04-06-2013, 06:23 AM
I have 3 tenors and 2 are strung low G. I am on a trip w my reentrant G and miss the low G sound. Can't wait to get back home.

sukie
04-06-2013, 06:25 AM
Just to be difficult -- low G does not interest me at all.

BIGDB
04-06-2013, 07:26 AM
I would have to agree with sukie however i do find a low g song every once in a while that I'd like to learn so if I were you I'd put high G on my favorite uke and low on my other one

Dan Uke
04-06-2013, 07:55 AM

If I played a sop or con regardless of neck length, I like it reentrant but for a tenor, I like low G. Based on body volume, David Hurd recommends certain tuning.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
04-06-2013, 07:57 AM
For tenor ukes there's no G like low G :)

sukie
04-06-2013, 08:07 AM
For tenor ukes there's no G like low G :)

Thank God I have a super-concert. Phew!

Raygf
04-06-2013, 09:09 AM
I currently have 2 of my tenors strung low G because there are lots of low G finger style tunes I like to play. I ordered another tenor low G and I'm loving it so much more after switching it to high g. My Glyph tenor will always be high g.

I strung one of my baritones with Southcoast linears tuned GCEA and absolutely love the sound of low G on it.

Have fun with the experiment. Find what sounds good to you.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
04-06-2013, 10:52 AM
Low G is a great sound. It doesn't work for every uke---or for every player---but when it does work, it sounds so sweet. One of my soprano ukes sounded pretty thin and a little harsh until I strung it with low G; now it sounds mellow and sweet...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85kGO5wEkW0

UkerDanno
04-06-2013, 11:51 AM

me neither...high G is what a ukulele is all about. I've messed around with friends' low G and it sounds like krap to me!

guitarsnrotts
04-06-2013, 12:55 PM
One of each is a good thing although I like the re-entrant tuning on the smaller ukes. I have my 8 string tuned FCFA and you get the best of both worlds.

Paul December
04-06-2013, 03:23 PM
IMO the tenor scale length is too short for a low G, far too unbalanced...
...I really wanted a low G, so got a Baritone and strung it GCEA. Simply stated, it works.

Captain_Lovehandles
04-06-2013, 03:31 PM
Sukie expressed my feelings well. It doesn't interest me. I had low G on my Sailor tenor and hated it. I took it back over to Uke Republic the other day and Sailor Jim restrung it with high G Fremonts. Now it sounds great. I couldn't care less about a low G uke, or a baritone either. But tastes change. I wasn't always comfortable playing my banjolele, and now I really enjoy it.

coolkayaker1
04-06-2013, 06:26 PM
I agree with P. Dec and Captain below.

Newportlocal
04-06-2013, 06:27 PM
I used to play reentrant and tried low G it sounded weird to me. I played it a while then I tried going back to reentrant. It sounded like it was missing something. Went back to low G and happy ever since.

igorthebarbarian
04-06-2013, 06:35 PM
It's definitely a matter of personal preference. Like boxers or briefs. It's whatever's comfortable and works for you. I'm relatively new to the uke but prefer the re-entrant/high G. Low G is too boomy for me and not happy enough.

coolkayaker1
04-06-2013, 07:48 PM
Low G is too boomy for me.
Precisely. The open low G string is like a civil war cannon. I feel like I'm on a battlefield in Gettysburg.

billcarr
04-06-2013, 08:25 PM
The missus and I were having a play and sing along and a few vodka shots last night. She on the high G and me on the low G. There sounded pretty good together actually. We are both novice players but it sure is a lot of fun and for us that is the whole point really.

Bill

wickedwahine11
04-06-2013, 09:21 PM
I used to play reentrant and tried low G it sounded weird to me. I played it a while then I tried going back to reentrant. It sounded like it was missing something. Went back to low G and happy ever since.

Ditto. I still keep a couple of ukes high g, but rarely play them. I am, however, slowly teaching my spouse to play, and I refuse to give them one of the low g ukes until they learn the basics in high g.

Pondoro
04-07-2013, 03:47 AM
Though I stated that I hated the boomy sound of a low G at first, I was too cheap to throw away a perfectly good string so I kept playing it and I have gotten used to it now. I find it nice when 3 or 4 ukes are all playing together, the one low G adds a nice depth to the ensemble.

roxhum
04-07-2013, 04:32 AM
I prefer soprano's but wanted to try low g for finger picking some tunes. I don't really finger pick much but enjoy the low g for some songs. I am not totally satisfied with the low g on the concert. I have tried many different strings and wondered if I should pay to have a new set up specific for the low g. It could just be that the concert is not big enough to accommodate the low g but I don't want to go any bigger so I work with what I have and I enjoy having the option to play with the low g sound.

Newportlocal
04-07-2013, 06:29 AM
Ditto. I still keep a couple of ukes high g, but rarely play them. I am, however, slowly teaching my spouse to play, and I refuse to give them one of the low g ukes until they learn the basics in high g.

My wife prefers high G, and we have a concert in high G she plays. She has been playing a lot of guitar lately, but she still plays uke a lot. We usually play every evening after work, and on the weekends. Good times.

GregT
04-07-2013, 05:19 PM
me neither...high G is what a ukulele is all about. I've messed around with friends' low G and it sounds like krap to me!

Agreed. When you want to sound like Tiny Tim, high G is the way to go.