PDA

View Full Version : Strings that go pop in the night.

SailingUke
04-06-2013, 05:38 AM
Picked up my fluke I keep at the computer to pick a tune and could not find the "A" string. During the night it snapped right in the middle of the fret board. It was a set of the new Aquila reds I got for testing from Mimmo, This is a new experience for me.

Patrick Madsen
04-06-2013, 05:40 AM
Oh Man,I just ordered two set of the baritone Reds. I hope the popping is not going to be a problem.

Shazzbot
04-06-2013, 08:09 AM
I'll bet it was a fluke....

vanflynn
04-06-2013, 08:19 AM
I'll bet it was a fluke....

groan......

mm stan
04-06-2013, 10:56 AM
I had other strings POP but not aquilas in the case....I'd hear pop and the string snapped or the knot came loose from the bridge...also once I had my case and heard a pop
it was the bridge that pulled off the top....not a happy thing for sure....I'd certainly take a string pop than that any day...

luckyduck
04-06-2013, 03:31 PM
I've had 2 of the reds do that on my Mainland Baritone. One broke right at the nut, and the other between the nut and the tuner.

The Orange Mage
04-06-2013, 05:18 PM
I had a bunch of the ORIGINAL, single red C and G strings pop between the nut and tuners last summer when they were new, but I haven't tried the new red sets yet and this is the first I have heard of them popping.

Tim Mullins
04-06-2013, 05:37 PM
Picked up my fluke I keep at the computer to pick a tune and could not find the "A" string. During the night it snapped right in the middle of the fret board. It was a set of the new Aquila reds I got for testing from Mimmo, This is a new experience for me.

Unfortunately, that also happened to me. I ordered from Elderly and the A broke as I was putting it on. I had enough length to shorten it and put it on and within a week it broke overnight in the case. I'd like to thank Elderly Instruments for taking care of the problem immediately and sending me replacement white Aquilas, which I love and have never had any trouble with.

coolkayaker1
04-06-2013, 07:52 PM
One broke right at the nut, and the other between the nut. That's rich.

cds
04-06-2013, 11:18 PM
This happened on my new Collings tenor after I had owned it about three days. Also the A string. Change the strings out to Aquila's with no issues yet.

Patrick Madsen
04-09-2013, 01:09 PM
Just put on the 89U reds on my baritone. Hate 'em. The E string broke while stringing, luckily there was enough left to string it. Really kind of pissed me off a bit as I was hoping the reds sounded a bit like their old "before New Nylgut" set. I wrote Mimmo and also a US distributor. The US distributor said not to expect an answer from Aquila in Italy. Course I just wrote today so didn't expect an answer, but to hear stuff that M. wouldn't write back was not what I was expecting to hear.

So, the search is back on, may pick up a set of 21u's to see if they are the same that's on the bari. now and perhaps start looking for a different set with stiff 1&2's with wound 3&4. 20 bucks down the tubes as Elderly doesn't return strings; which I understand.

UkeKiddinMe
04-09-2013, 01:15 PM
Just put on the 89U reds on my baritone. Hate 'em. The E string broke while stringing, luckily there was enough left to string it. Really kind of pissed me off a bit as I was hoping the reds sounded a bit like their old "before New Nylgut" set. I wrote Mimmo and also a US distributor. The US distributor said not to expect an answer from Aquila in Italy. Course I just wrote today so didn't expect an answer, but to hear stuff that M. wouldn't write back was not what I was expecting to hear.

So, the search is back on, may pick up a set of 21u's to see if they are the same that's on the bari. now and perhaps start looking for a different set with stiff 1&2's with wound 3&4. 20 bucks down the tubes as Elderly doesn't return strings; which I understand.

Not sure why the distributor would say that. I have corresponded with Mimmo many times, and he cares deeply about taking care of customers.

Can you PM me the name of the distributor? Thank you.

Macmuse
04-09-2013, 02:17 PM
Not sure why the distributor would say that. I have corresponded with Mimmo many times, and he cares deeply about taking care of customers.

+1

He's on these forums from time-to-time as well.