Strings that go pop in the night.

SailingUke

Uke legend in my own mind
UU VIP
Reaction score
Picked up my fluke I keep at the computer to pick a tune and could not find the "A" string. During the night it snapped right in the middle of the fret board. It was a set of the new Aquila reds I got for testing from Mimmo, This is a new experience for me.

I had other strings POP but not aquilas in the case....I'd hear pop and the string snapped or the knot came loose from the bridge...also once I had my case and heard a pop
it was the bridge that pulled off the top....not a happy thing for sure....I'd certainly take a string pop than that any day...

I've had 2 of the reds do that on my Mainland Baritone. One broke right at the nut, and the other between the nut and the tuner.

I had a bunch of the ORIGINAL, single red C and G strings pop between the nut and tuners last summer when they were new, but I haven't tried the new red sets yet and this is the first I have heard of them popping.

Picked up my fluke I keep at the computer to pick a tune and could not find the "A" string. During the night it snapped right in the middle of the fret board. It was a set of the new Aquila reds I got for testing from Mimmo, This is a new experience for me.

Unfortunately, that also happened to me. I ordered from Elderly and the A broke as I was putting it on. I had enough length to shorten it and put it on and within a week it broke overnight in the case. I'd like to thank Elderly Instruments for taking care of the problem immediately and sending me replacement white Aquilas, which I love and have never had any trouble with.

This happened on my new Collings tenor after I had owned it about three days. Also the A string. Change the strings out to Aquila's with no issues yet.

Just put on the 89U reds on my baritone. Hate 'em. The E string broke while stringing, luckily there was enough left to string it. Really kind of pissed me off a bit as I was hoping the reds sounded a bit like their old "before New Nylgut" set. I wrote Mimmo and also a US distributor. The US distributor said not to expect an answer from Aquila in Italy. Course I just wrote today so didn't expect an answer, but to hear stuff that M. wouldn't write back was not what I was expecting to hear.

So, the search is back on, may pick up a set of 21u's to see if they are the same that's on the bari. now and perhaps start looking for a different set with stiff 1&2's with wound 3&4. 20 bucks down the tubes as Elderly doesn't return strings; which I understand.

Just put on the 89U reds on my baritone. Hate 'em. The E string broke while stringing, luckily there was enough left to string it. Really kind of pissed me off a bit as I was hoping the reds sounded a bit like their old "before New Nylgut" set. I wrote Mimmo and also a US distributor. The US distributor said not to expect an answer from Aquila in Italy. Course I just wrote today so didn't expect an answer, but to hear stuff that M. wouldn't write back was not what I was expecting to hear.

So, the search is back on, may pick up a set of 21u's to see if they are the same that's on the bari. now and perhaps start looking for a different set with stiff 1&2's with wound 3&4. 20 bucks down the tubes as Elderly doesn't return strings; which I understand.

Not sure why the distributor would say that. I have corresponded with Mimmo many times, and he cares deeply about taking care of customers.

Can you PM me the name of the distributor? Thank you.

Not sure why the distributor would say that. I have corresponded with Mimmo many times, and he cares deeply about taking care of customers.

+1

He's on these forums from time-to-time as well.

Top Bottom