PDA

View Full Version : Super Soprano Ukuleles

WeedKeeper
04-06-2013, 12:33 PM
So, i am thinking of buying a super soprano ukulele (Long neck Soprano), whats your opinion on these ukuleles?

Do you have any? If so, how do they sound, and do you like them more then a normal soprano or concert sized? Do you use all the frets and if yes on what songs do you use them?

wayfarer75
04-06-2013, 12:57 PM
I'm curious about this too. On my "future purchase" list is a Kamaka pineapple. I wonder if I should get the longneck version. But then, I have a concert uke, so maybe it would be better to get a standard scale. I'd be mostly concerned about balance and the uke's headstock being too heavy.

TG&Y
04-06-2013, 02:15 PM
I have a long-neck Kala (KA-SLNG I think) and I like it. I don't range too far up the neck but like the sound of this Kala and am comfortable with the concert scale generally. Prefer a standard concert but sometimes this one sounds just right.

Welcome to the board, by the way.

So, i am thinking of buying a super soprano ukulele (Long neck Soprano), whats your opinion on these ukuleles?

Do you have any? If so, how do they sound, and do you like them more then a normal soprano or concert sized? Do you use all the frets and if yes on what songs do you use them?

WeedKeeper
04-06-2013, 03:07 PM
ok, thank you for all your answers, and thank you for the welcome!

haolejohn
04-06-2013, 03:41 PM
I own a kala version now for my student uke group. My wife owned a KoAloha version for a few years. I like the long neck soprano. SOunds great. I'm a strummer and finger picker so I don't go beyond the 5th fret very often. I use these ukes the same as any other uke I own.

OldePhart
04-06-2013, 04:10 PM
I have two - a KoAloha and a Kiwaya. Love the format because I like soprano size bodies but I like a bit roomier neck most of the time. I do play sopranos - in fact my favorite uke is a soprano, but if I'm going to do much of anything beyond "three chord accompaniment" I like a little more room to work with. The only thing I wish is that the necks were a bit wider on the longneck sopranos - they don't seem any/much wider than soprano necks - maybe that's typical of concerts, I don't know. I'm thinking of trying a tenor-neck soprano, even though the looks put me off a bit because they don't look "balanced," just in hopes of getting that wider neck.

John

coolkayaker1
04-06-2013, 04:34 PM
As usual, I agree w everything John wrote below.

I have bought and sold many ukuleles, and still own a shameful amount. But my absolute favorite of any uke I have ever owned is my Asturias super soprano. I will never part with it. Ever.

NewKid
04-06-2013, 06:29 PM

Here's my dream ukulele from Chuck Moore: A super soprano pineapple!

If you are the lucky owner of this wonderful instrument, please post some more pictures or a video here so we can enjoy it as well.

Mahalo,

Don

PereBourik
04-06-2013, 06:36 PM
My dream list includes a KoAloha longneck pineapple. I'm more comfortable with the concert scale.

WeedKeeper
04-07-2013, 07:16 AM
this is such a great community, thank you for all the great answers and responses!

bbycrts
04-07-2013, 11:55 AM
I have a super soprano that Brad Donaldson built for me - it is my favorite! I like the extended scale length (I do not go way up the neck) for comfort, but I've always liked the soprano body the best. My soprano body is actually even a little undersized, because it's Brad's "vintage" style, which was based on Kumalae's design - it's narrow-waisted. I love it....