Super Soprano Ukuleles

WeedKeeper

Reaction score
So, i am thinking of buying a super soprano ukulele (Long neck Soprano), whats your opinion on these ukuleles?

Do you have any? If so, how do they sound, and do you like them more then a normal soprano or concert sized? Do you use all the frets and if yes on what songs do you use them?

I'm curious about this too. On my "future purchase" list is a Kamaka pineapple. I wonder if I should get the longneck version. But then, I have a concert uke, so maybe it would be better to get a standard scale. I'd be mostly concerned about balance and the uke's headstock being too heavy.

Last edited:
I have a long-neck Kala (KA-SLNG I think) and I like it. I don't range too far up the neck but like the sound of this Kala and am comfortable with the concert scale generally. Prefer a standard concert but sometimes this one sounds just right.

Welcome to the board, by the way.

So, i am thinking of buying a super soprano ukulele (Long neck Soprano), whats your opinion on these ukuleles?

Do you have any? If so, how do they sound, and do you like them more then a normal soprano or concert sized? Do you use all the frets and if yes on what songs do you use them?

ok, thank you for all your answers, and thank you for the welcome!

I own a kala version now for my student uke group. My wife owned a KoAloha version for a few years. I like the long neck soprano. SOunds great. I'm a strummer and finger picker so I don't go beyond the 5th fret very often. I use these ukes the same as any other uke I own.

I have two - a KoAloha and a Kiwaya. Love the format because I like soprano size bodies but I like a bit roomier neck most of the time. I do play sopranos - in fact my favorite uke is a soprano, but if I'm going to do much of anything beyond "three chord accompaniment" I like a little more room to work with. The only thing I wish is that the necks were a bit wider on the longneck sopranos - they don't seem any/much wider than soprano necks - maybe that's typical of concerts, I don't know. I'm thinking of trying a tenor-neck soprano, even though the looks put me off a bit because they don't look "balanced," just in hopes of getting that wider neck.

John

As usual, I agree w everything John wrote below.

I have bought and sold many ukuleles, and still own a shameful amount. But my absolute favorite of any uke I have ever owned is my Asturias super soprano. I will never part with it. Ever.

pineapple_uke.jpg

Here's my dream ukulele from Chuck Moore: A super soprano pineapple!

If you are the lucky owner of this wonderful instrument, please post some more pictures or a video here so we can enjoy it as well.

Mahalo,

Don

Last edited:
My dream list includes a KoAloha longneck pineapple. I'm more comfortable with the concert scale.

this is such a great community, thank you for all the great answers and responses!

I have a super soprano that Brad Donaldson built for me - it is my favorite! I like the extended scale length (I do not go way up the neck) for comfort, but I've always liked the soprano body the best. My soprano body is actually even a little undersized, because it's Brad's "vintage" style, which was based on Kumalae's design - it's narrow-waisted. I love it....

Top Bottom