Aldrine Guerrero's Gear?

experimentjon

Reaction score
I've been on an Aldrine Guerrero kick lately. Anyone know what kind of gear he currently uses?

Ukulele: Custom Kanilea Tenor (I'm aware he has a few of these and have seen a guitarlele out there too, and just got one with new wood...wonder if he still names them all...)
Strings: Daddario T2s?
Case: ??? I know he had been trying to get a Carlton like Jake, but wonder if he ever got it, or is now with an Ameritage or Kamoa
Tuner: Peterson Stroboclip
Strap: ??? Very curious about this...and the strap that Jake uses too.
DI Box: ???
Cable: Analysis Plus?
Humidifier: ???
Other gear in his case: ???

Anyone know? Where is Mr Ukuleleoversoul?

What's up Jon! Long time no see/talk! We gotta jam and hang out next time I'm on Oahu.

Stings: Correct. D'Addario T2's.
Case: Mint green Calton (Workhorse cases)
Tuner: Peterson stomp classic
Strap: Peavey "Spiderman" marvel strap.
DI: Radial JDI passive (for smaller gigs) or LR Baggs venue (for bigger gigs)
Cable: Analysis plus (Purple, green, and yellow patches)
Humidifier: Herco humidifier
Other things in my case: Extra strings, business cards, etc.

Pedals:
Peterson tuner
RV-5 digital reverb

Business Card? I never got a business card . . .

What's up Jon! Long time no see/talk! We gotta jam and hang out next time I'm on Oahu.

Stings: Correct. D'Addario T2's.
Case: Mint green Calton (Workhorse cases)
Tuner: Peterson stomp classic
Strap: Peavey "Spiderman" marvel strap.
DI: Radial JDI passive (for smaller gigs) or LR Baggs venue (for bigger gigs)
Cable: Analysis plus (Purple, green, and yellow patches)
Humidifier: Herco humidifier
Other things in my case: Extra strings, business cards, etc.

Pedals:
Peterson tuner
RV-5 digital reverb

HAWT. Thank you for the info, sir!

How cool, an Aldrine sighting!!!

I have been wanting to know what kind of strings he has. I like the sound.

And speaking of Analysis Plus

JakeShimabukuroLARGE.jpg

That cable in his hand retails for a massive $6k!

It's kind of crazy to hear Jake talk about how the limiting factor in his tone was not the $250 Fishman pickup in his instrument, or the $2 9V battery, or the $5 strings, or a $300 DI box...but an instrument cable that already cost $300 (purple, like the one Aldrine uses).
http://www.analysis-plus.com/pro_ArtistAcoustic.html

And speaking of Analysis Plus

That cable in his hand retails for a massive $6k!

It's kind of crazy to hear Jake talk about how the limiting factor in his tone was not the $250 Fishman pickup in his instrument, or the $2 9V battery, or the $5 strings, or a $300 DI box...but an instrument cable that already cost $300 (purple, like the one Aldrine uses).
http://www.analysis-plus.com/pro_ArtistAcoustic.html

The one in his hand in the pic is a purple cable. The gold ones are 6k. He does have the gold one but I don't know if he uses it as much anymore. I remember he had the gold one sent back cause he was having problems with it. Something about it being too heavy.

I had trouble with the purple one as well. The old end plugs they used for the cables were causing some problems. I recall other artists that use them have the same issues. I stopped using the purple one (end plugs problem) and started using the green cable. Doesn't sound as good but it's definitely a lot sturdier and more solid.

If anyone is still wondering if Jake uses the gold cables or purple cables..three nights ago he was in Melbourne performing, and he was using the Purple cable.

The one in his hand in the pic is a purple cable. The gold ones are 6k. He does have the gold one but I don't know if he uses it as much anymore. I remember he had the gold one sent back cause he was having problems with it. Something about it being too heavy.

I had trouble with the purple one as well. The old end plugs they used for the cables were causing some problems. I recall other artists that use them have the same issues. I stopped using the purple one (end plugs problem) and started using the green cable. Doesn't sound as good but it's definitely a lot sturdier and more solid.

I stand corrected. Hah, guess Analysis Plus left that part out of their marketing materials.

Hey Jon! The strap that Jake uses... I think I read somewhere that he made it himself, but I'm not 100% sure. It's too beautiful and I want one :) If anyone knows, please do tell!

Ah, that could explain why I've never been able to find anything like it on Google.

Last edited:

Well...I wanted to be cool like you, so today I went to Dan's Guitars and had them install a strap button in the neck, then got a cool strap with cats on it. (Spiderman is not my thing.) It's way easier playing with a strap.

Then, I tried an Analysis Plus cable against the cheap $10 Hosa cable that I am currently using. My God. I couldn't believe the difference. I had really expected a minor difference at best...but I could definitely hear it. Less noise, smoother, more nuance, just all around better. They didn't have the configuration I wanted in stock (Yellow, straight and right angle, silent) so I did a custom order through them. So excited to have it...and to be honest, I don't even play plugged in... T_T. It was just so incredible that I had to have it.

I talked to Dan about what end plugs Jake was using b/c I wanted the fat looking male piece, but indeed, the extra weight of the plug plus the heavy stiff cable was causing strain on the female pickup end. And apparently, when Jake was performing and moving around, sometimes he could hear it failing. So Dan said the thinnest lightest male plug would be the best for longevity...and that's what I ordered.

One step closer to being Aldrine.

I hope you give us an update when you get your cable. I really appreciate you starting this thread. Great info.

Aha Aldrine is silently always watching us...Hee hee Never knew that... :) yes I had very expensive heavy duty guitar cables and they said it was a lifetime guarantee, but the plug jack failed
because the line was too heavy and wore out... I should have returned them...but because it was like 4 years old I didn't...anyways I did not like them anyways for their weight....but I
could have gotten some money back anyways...sheesh :)

I just want to know where he gets those wonderful hats.

I use the gold one when I'm touring. Too heavy? What a sissy. Maybe he's talking about it being too heavy to carry from stadium to stadium. That's why I have roadies.

I use the gold one when I'm touring. Too heavy? What a sissy. Maybe he's talking about it being too heavy to carry from stadium to stadium. That's why I have roadies.
Ha ha cable is too heavy probally for the jacks.....not total weight wise....probally not a good design concept..

Last edited:
I'd love to see some ABX testing of these vaunted cables.

I would have expected nothing less from you, sir.

I'd love to see some ABX testing of these vaunted cables.

They certainly exist.
http://guitartonenetwork.com/?q=node/68 and many more.
The problem is that I really couldn't hear the difference when I listened to any of these ABX comparisons on the internet. Neither through my speakers or Bose QC15 headphones. But when I tried it in person, the difference was undeniable. I heard sounds: like the subtle squeak of my finger running down the string or a light metallic twang when changing chords too roughly. Granted this was in a well designed room and through a rather high-end acoustic amp, but I could hear the difference...all of my terrible playing in crystal clear quality. Sold in under 2 minutes.

AB testing isn't the same as ABX testing. In one, you simply note whether you think you can hear a difference. With ABX testing, you don't know what you're listening to. People who are positive they can hear a difference usually have a hard time with ABX testing. Check the Wikipedia page for more info.

Top Bottom