PDA

View Full Version : 60th Season Of The Ukulele: They're Playing Our Song

mattydee
04-06-2013, 06:49 PM
It is April, Seasonistas, and here in the States, that means Prom. Millions of high schoolers across the nation are renting tuxedos and buying taffeta gowns, hiring limousines, and having the Time Of Their Lives at the dance.

Some of those high schoolers take their future spouse to that dance. Sometimes it's the one who got away. Sometimes they are staring longingly at that special someone from across a crowded room. But the one thing that binds them all is The Song. The song where you squeeze a little tighter, look a little harder, and always always remember. Or at least that's what happens in John Hughes movies.

And so, the Challenge: you gotta sing your song—that special song that means something to you and a significant other, past, present or future. Maybe you danced to it at your wedding, or heard it at the club where you met. Maybe someone put it on a mix tape for you. Maybe it was, in fact, the theme of your Junior Prom. Whatever it is, it is Your Song. If you're having trouble, it wants to be a song that you have an emotional attachment to, that makes you think of a special someone...

Judging will be done by me, and will be based on several criteria, including: singing, playing, technical elements (lighting, sound, costume, set), passion, and je nais se quoi.

Rules: Single continuous take, ukulele front and center. No multi-tracking, but filters and effects are okay. Please state somewhere in the video, written or spoken, that it's for the 60th Season. Repeats are fine. I'm curious to see if there are any.

Bonus tracks: I'll take them. Submit as many bonuses as you like that fit the theme (i.e: Let's say your official entry is the song you danced to at your wedding, so your bonuses can be the theme from prom, your favorite tune from a mix tape, etc...) You can earn bonus points in the following manner. 1 Bonus point will be awarded if you do a bonus song from a John Hughes film. 3 bonus points if that song is in fact your own song, and it is your only entry. (If this is the case, I'll want some back story, not only to corroborate, but also, because holy cow, that's awesome.)

Prize: A Blue Dolphin, set up by longtime Seasonista, Mr. OldePhart, himself. I won it way back in Season 11. It has brought me great joy, and now it's time for another Seasonista to enjoy it.

Timing: Entries will be accepted starting at Midnight Hawaiian tonight, and will stop being accepted at 11:59pm Hawaiian on April 14.

Playlists:
Official Entries (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?feature=edit_ok&list=PL7sm323xQS8yeUli5BSFx1CS7L9KDLWd_)
Bonus Entries (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7sm323xQS8zbn3ugctmEHFzfn8YVocPq)

That is all, Seasonistas. Nostalgia awaits.

peewee
04-06-2013, 07:04 PM
Here's a track to get you in the mood:

http://youtu.be/aoZhVTQFLqk
http://youtu.be/aoZhVTQFLqk

one of the first vids I posted.

I never had a prom, not sure what to do this week, thinking about some early mix tapes ...I do remember my first slow dance...hmmm

uke4ia
04-06-2013, 07:12 PM
I've never had an "our song" with anyone. I'm probably out for this week.

electrauke
04-06-2013, 07:29 PM
Well, this counts me out :)

Hippie Dribble
04-06-2013, 07:35 PM
Well, this counts me out :)

no way Andre...just pick a song you'd sing to a girl if you were trying to woo her :love:

myrnaukelele
04-06-2013, 07:39 PM
I've never had an "our song" with anyone. I'm probably out for this week.

That shouldn't keep you from posting. It was so long ago I can't remember what songs were played at my proms (I actually went to three-miss popularity here lol!) and I've never really had an "our song" either. I'm just going to pick a popular song from 1971 (the year I graduated from high school).
What say you mattydee - can we simply pick a song that "might" have been played at the prom the year we graduated high school?

erivel
04-06-2013, 11:45 PM
Oh man...my prom song was by Styx...do I really want to learn that?

we tigers
04-07-2013, 12:09 AM
We have several candidates. Oh, what to choose. We only have one evening to record because I'm off to the UK this week. Visiting Cambridge with 100 pupils...

watchyourtoes
04-07-2013, 12:22 AM
Music has such a hold on how I feel and how I remember things that I must have a hundred "our songs." Heck, I fall in love with complete strangers all the time, if the song playing in the background at whatever place was just right. It seems like I have an "our song" for all of my closest friends, former significant others, and for all of the most significant moments in my life.
When I first read the theme, I thought of my "high school sweetheart," and still one if my very best friends to this day. Our song was "Lady in Red" because it came on once and we made fun of it. Then it seemed like it was playing everywhere we went, including my high school room, when she and I went together. I haven't decided whether or not I want to torture you with my cover of that song yet. My daughter and I have a song too, "Uabkee Bayonety" by the Decemberists, because its the first song we played together when we both got our first ukes, almost two years ago. She won't do it with me though. I've already tried getting her to before. Just turned 9 and she's already too cool to be seen on video with her dad.
I have a sobering confession to make, however. While typing this and trying to pick a song, I realized that my wife (of almost 10 years) and I don't have a song. I have a song for everyone and everything, but she and I don't have one.
Anyway...... Happy thoughts!:)
I'm gonna have fun with this. I was getting ready to go to bed when I read this week's theme. Now, I'm wide awake again and can't wait to pick which "our song(s)" and get started!
Mattydee, I wanna apologize in advance in case I get carried away this week. Music is my everything. My heart rate is the bpm of whatever song I happen to be listening to at the time. "Music is my hot, hot sex."

watchyourtoes
04-07-2013, 12:32 AM
Here is a tweet that the super-talented singer, songwriter, pianist, and (occasional) uker, Diane Birch posted today. I feel the same way and that's probably why I have so many "our songs."

"@dianebirch: being able to make music is such a gift. It's like having a super hot lover waiting naked in your bed for you when you get home"

Hippie Dribble
04-07-2013, 12:45 AM
Here is a tweet that the super-talented singer, songwriter, pianist, and (occasional) uker, Diane Birch posted today. I feel the same way and that's probably why I have so many "our songs."

"@dianebirch: being able to make music is such a gift. It's like having a super hot lover waiting naked in your bed for you when you get home"
whooaaa...I'm a comin over all sweaty like...I need a cold shower :shaka: this could be a heady week... :)

pabrizzer
04-07-2013, 12:46 AM
Asked my wife of 40 years if we have a song and we don't.
She does tell she will decide what she wants me to do but I am thinking of going with the first song I have hand written in my beat up old song book.

watchyourtoes
04-07-2013, 01:35 AM
http://youtu.be/1u1Gn2V5fSI

Here is an "our song" video that is particularly special to me. It is one of my dearest, longtime friends, Kristin, and I doing a uke cover of "Umbrella" by Rhianna. It started as a song we loved to make fun of, then we decided to act like "suburban gangstas" and make a uke cover video. This is one of the first things we played together after over a decade of planning to start our dream band and never having time (we both got married, became parents, and had to start acting like responsible adults, haha.) Now, we're finally playing and things are coming together very well. I've been in countless bands over the past 16+ years and have never been this excited about any musical venture. I recently finished building a studio just to record this album. When she finds out I posted this, I'm in big trouble! We made the mistake of hitting "record" before learning to play the song. That laptop is connected to a guitar tab site because we didn't know the lyrics or chords yet, haha!

Anyway, here is the real significance of this song- Kristin, just like me, is someone who feels "out of place" in normal social situations when most people would be completely comfortable. But we can lose ourselves in music, and everything is right with the world as long as the song is playing. Without music, I feel I'd have the emotional capacity of a rock and just sit alone and quiet every day. Some things in my life have hit a bit of a rough patch the past several months, but the time we spent working on music and playing (we refer to it as "therapy time") has been a real bright spot for me. She has helped keep the rain drops from "falling on my head" by doing these songs with me as fun distractions from reality. (side note: "Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head" is another cheesy pop song that got me through a rough patch 12-ish years ago.)
So, whenever I need a pick-me-up, I just watch this video and that is why this is our song.

watchyourtoes
04-07-2013, 01:44 AM
Kristin has the finished version of that song on her youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdIWN3iBJOd9-HjWHyNj14g

Please go check out her page and leave comments encouraging her to join the seasonistas. I've had no luck talking her into it yet. She has a bunch of uke covers on there, as well as some original songs she wrote which we're currently working on full-set arrangements for.

Meanwhile, I'm gonna go get started on a few new videos for this week. Thanks again, Mattydee for a fantastic 60th season!

watchyourtoes
04-07-2013, 01:50 AM
Asked my wife of 40 years if we have a song and we don't.
She does tell she will decide what she wants me to do....

pabrizzer, those two sentences ^ do an amazing job of describing the relationship dynamic of almost every marriage, EVER. In fact, they would make great lyrics to a country song!

pabrizzer
04-07-2013, 03:01 AM
OK I have gone with the first song in my song book. My book could be 35 years old - I really wish I had dated my entries. I don't "claim" songs but the fact that it was the first entry means I took some trouble to work out the chords and note down the lyrics and therefore it has some connection. At this stage it will be my entry - but this could change.
Marie by Randy Newman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJbdrpA8W2k

barefootgypsy
04-07-2013, 03:19 AM
Oh boy - we have been married 40 years plus, and have a number of special songs, going back down the years..... I found the chords to one of them the other day and went down to Himself to serenade him with the uke - and I couldn't do it.... cracked me up. I wrote about it on my blog just a couple of days ago. Perhaps it's because I was singing TO him.... on my own up here, maybe. It's a great theme, love it..... I will do one, I will.....

ksiegel
04-07-2013, 04:00 AM

I really, REALLY want to hear you do Mr. Robato!

TG&Y
04-07-2013, 04:34 AM
Man, I used to sing that song constantly. Very nice rendition.

OK I have gone with the first song in my song book. My book could be 35 years old - I really wish I had dated my entries. I don't "claim" songs but the fact that it was the first entry means I took some trouble to work out the chords and note down the lyrics and therefore it has some connection. At this stage it will be my entry - but this could change.
Marie by Randy Newman.

barefootgypsy
04-07-2013, 04:44 AM
Marie by Randy Newman.
That was just gorgeous! Beautiful delivery of a beautiful song (i don't know this one...) ...... lovely picking, great voice.... you've got it all!

mattydee
04-07-2013, 05:59 AM
no way Andre...just pick a song you'd sing to a girl if you were trying to woo her :love:

Exactly this. If I wasn't clear in my rules, the our song can definitely be with someone who doesn't know it yet.

That shouldn't keep you from posting. It was so long ago I can't remember what songs were played at my proms (I actually went to three-miss popularity here lol!) and I've never really had an "our song" either. I'm just going to pick a popular song from 1971 (the year I graduated from high school).
What say you mattydee - can we simply pick a song that "might" have been played at the prom the year we graduated high school?

Sure, but I'd prefer it if you have some emotional attachment to the song.

How can you not want to learn that?! (But really, it doesn't have to be the song from Prom, it can be any song that you have an emotional attachment to that reminds you of someone else.)

mattydee
04-07-2013, 06:09 AM
I have a really busy week, Seasonistas, so comments will come in fits and starts.

ukuleledaveey
04-07-2013, 07:51 AM
We have several candidates. Oh, what to choose. We only have one evening to record because I'm off to the UK this week. Visiting Cambridge with 100 pupils...
I am only 45 minutes from cambridge :)

mattydee
04-07-2013, 08:04 AM
Marie by Randy Newman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJbdrpA8W2k

So sweet, Pa. Even if there is no specific memory associated here, it sure feels like it. Lovely, simple vocals and picking.

mattydee
04-07-2013, 08:06 AM
http://youtu.be/1u1Gn2V5fSI

Here is an "our song" video that is particularly special to me. It is one of my dearest, longtime friends, Kristin, and I doing a uke cover of "Umbrella" by Rhianna. It started as a song we loved to make fun of, then we decided to act like "suburban gangstas" and make a uke cover video. This is one of the first things we played together after over a decade of planning to start our dream band and never having time (we both got married, became parents, and had to start acting like responsible adults, haha.) Now, we're finally playing and things are coming together very well. I've been in countless bands over the past 16+ years and have never been this excited about any musical venture. I recently finished building a studio just to record this album. When she finds out I posted this, I'm in big trouble! We made the mistake of hitting "record" before learning to play the song. That laptop is connected to a guitar tab site because we didn't know the lyrics or chords yet, haha!

Anyway, here is the real significance of this song- Kristin, just like me, is someone who feels "out of place" in normal social situations when most people would be completely comfortable. But we can lose ourselves in music, and everything is right with the world as long as the song is playing. Without music, I feel I'd have the emotional capacity of a rock and just sit alone and quiet every day. Some things in my life have hit a bit of a rough patch the past several months, but the time we spent working on music and playing (we refer to it as "therapy time") has been a real bright spot for me. She has helped keep the rain drops from "falling on my head" by doing these songs with me as fun distractions from reality. (side note: "Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head" is another cheesy pop song that got me through a rough patch 12-ish years ago.)
So, whenever I need a pick-me-up, I just watch this video and that is why this is our song.

Great! Making music together. Even though this counts as a bonus, it's a great way to kick things off! Thanks Watchyourtoes!

mattydee
04-07-2013, 08:07 AM

Ooh! I smell a Seasonistas collaboration!

~dave~~wave~
04-07-2013, 08:52 AM
Ah, MattyDee, you stirred up some memories.

I found the photo of my date and me from Junior Prom 1970.
White shoes and a blue carnation.

1970 was a good year for music, but most of the songs had a fast tempo, and weren't much good for dancing, especially "slow dancing." [which at my high school was hugging as tight as you could, girl's arms around the boy's shoulders, boy's hands around the girl's waist (straying to her hips) and swaying slightly]

So we were fortunate when Chicago released a "slow" song.
It would get played multiple times at every dance.

http://youtu.be/BtSxA6EWOjc

xommen
04-07-2013, 08:56 AM
This has been our song, for me and my wife, since Tom Paxton week (I did not know of it before then ;), I then did it as a bonus), the chords and lyrics are by Tom, I gave my own interpretation to the melody.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgDJn8BwloM

myrnaukelele
04-07-2013, 10:01 AM

1970 was a good year for music, but most of the songs had a fast tempo, and weren't much good for dancing, especially "slow dancing." [which at my high school was hugging as tight as you could, girl's arms around the boy's shoulders, boy's hands around the girl's waist (straying to her hips) and swaying slightly]

Oh the memories! I grew up in Chicago and heard this song all the time when it first came out -I'm sure it must have been played at my prom as well.

Dan Uke
04-07-2013, 10:25 AM

Domoarigato!!

TCK
04-07-2013, 11:16 AM
Rolling the way-back machine to the late eighties (which is not way back for some of you).
Every agonizing moment of every school dance is conjured with one song.
Seems this one was simply played over and over at dances, and is mixed with the smell of mints, too much cheap cologne and sweat forever in my head. Precious stolen moments in which some charitable young lady would allow me to dance with her in spite of how completely awkward I was at the time. I still remember every single time it played...and every kind soul who led me off the wall knowing the night would be a bust for me if they didn't.
Welcome to Jr. High.
The Promise- When In Rome. So beautifully summed up in film so many years later so my awkward students could have the same experience- sheesh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4ggaUWo0jc&feature=youtu.be

erivel
04-07-2013, 11:33 AM

Thank goodness that wasn't the prom song!

myrnaukelele
04-07-2013, 12:07 PM
Rolling the way-back machine to the late eighties (which is not way back for some of you).
Seems this one was simply played over and over at dances, and is mixed with the smell of mints, too much cheap cologne and sweat forever in my head. Precious stolen moments in which some charitable young lady would allow me to dance with her in spite of how completely awkward I was at the time. I still remember every single time it played...and every kind soul who led me off the wall knowing the night would be a bust for me if they didn't.
Welcome to Jr. High.

For those of us whose way-back machine goes even further back (to the 60s) the song we heard over and over at middle school/high school dances was Cherish by the Association.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9MDwAIvUfc&feature=share&list=PL003C96ED801A7E8F

Jazzbanjorex
04-07-2013, 02:57 PM
I have to go ask my wife what "Our Song" song is....

Joko
04-07-2013, 03:16 PM
Please indulge me my with long intro in this vid. The song has temporal significance for me right now as it will likely be my last uke vid in North America, as well as personal significance for my ex-wife and I going back some 15 years ago now. Hard to explain why; we had a weird relationship. You'll just have to take my word for it.

I practiced the vocals several times in the original key, but the highs were beyond my range, so I took it down an octave.

http://youtu.be/HTIeG9U5v6M

Hochapeafarm
04-07-2013, 04:25 PM
This is going to be so fun!!! A great theme, mattydee!

Hochapeafarm
04-07-2013, 04:32 PM

OK, Eric, you've piqued my curiosity! I am guessing the song was "The Best of Times?" Am I right?

TCK
04-07-2013, 07:55 PM
Hahaha- The Association. I am sure this is all true, as I can play this one and my dad gets all dreamy eyed, and mom leaves the room. Now she is a bit older (66), and from Chicago...but the one that makes her slow dance all around the room is "Angel Baby" by Rosie and the originals. I never quite put it together (total California cut right there) but they must have played the heck out of it. She loves it more than breathing.
For those of us whose way-back machine goes even further back (to the 60s) the song we heard over and over at middle school/high school dances was Cherish by the Association.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9MDwAIvUfc&feature=share&list=PL003C96ED801A7E8F

TCK
04-07-2013, 08:03 PM
So, here is a bunch of stuff...
We have played a lot of "Our Songs" since season 16, but we have held this one back because the lyrics are...well, a little less than PG. We figured we had to do it this week. (Thanks Matt for giving us the impetus)
This is also the FIRST time my wife has ever sung alone. EVER. We have had such a great time making videos for you fine folks, and hosting when we can...This is just icing on the cake for this fool. She did it-makes this my favorite we have done just for that.
Yup- this is my entry. If I can keep her going, maybe she will have one later.
Thanks for indulging us, you fine folks of the internet.
TCK is sittin' on a rainbow
In Spite of Ourselves- John Prine and Iris Dement cover

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkbOOhRg22Q

wee_ginga_yin
04-07-2013, 09:02 PM
We did not have Proms, but we did have Xmas dances. Near Xmas the boys and girls would meet up in the gym hall to learn dances. The trouble was the boys stood along the wall bars at one side of the hall, and tried to look like James Dean, and the girls bunched up in small protective huddles over at the other wall. Nobody moved to choose a partner. We were all 12 years old and very shy.

So the teachers got the boys to hold hands and form a circle and got them marching around clockwise. The girls then formed a circle outside and spun in an anticlockwise direction, and we all sang Bee Baw Babbity. The idea was that when the music stopped, who ever was opposite you was your partner for the dance.

The only trouble was there were good looking girls, who always clumped together in their circle, and similarly you would have and fat spotty boys who wore brylcream, all grouped together in the boys circle. The music started and the boy's and girl's circles revolved in opposite directions.

Everybody wanted to avoid somebody, and everybody wanted to hook up with somebody, and as a result the circles would either speed up or slow down. depending on who happened to be opposite you. It was chaos, and what was supposed to be a good idea, turned out to be a disaster.

So there are three things going on. The song is floating above your head, the distraught teacher is in the left channel and a haiku by Anselm Hollo is recited in the right channel.

Choosing a partner in real life is no less hazardous. This is a "head-phones" bonus to remind you that youth is wasted on the young.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNgsexLwmk4

pabrizzer
04-07-2013, 09:18 PM
We have played a lot of "Our Songs" since season 16, but we have held this one back because the lyrics are...well, a little less than PG. We figured we had to do it this week. (Thanks Matt for giving us the impetus)
This is also the FIRST time my wife has ever sung alone. EVER. We have had such a great time making videos for you fine folks, and hosting when we can...This is just icing on the cake for this fool. She did it-makes this my favorite we have done just for that.

But it says the video is private.:(

pabrizzer
04-07-2013, 10:30 PM
Bonus - I sang this song at my son's wedding 10 years ago (with guitar - didn't play uke then).
Sunrise Sunset from Fiddler on the Roof - music by Jerry Bock, lyrics by Sheldon Harnick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d10gh2RdxUA

TCK
04-08-2013, 04:45 AM
Whoops- fixed it! Thanks for the heads up
But it says the video is private.:(

mattydee
04-08-2013, 06:58 AM
Bonus - I sang this song at my son's wedding 10 years ago (with guitar - didn't play uke then).
Sunrise Sunset from Fiddler on the Roof - music by Jerry Bock, lyrics by Sheldon Harnick.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d10gh2RdxUA

Pa, I loved this. Musical theater does a lot of work for you bringing the emotion, but clearly this song has a special place in your heart. Plus, with that beard, it's like Tevye himself singing it. Great arrangement.

Welcome to Jr. High.
The Promise- When In Rome. So beautifully summed up in film so many years later so my awkward students could have the same experience- sheesh.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4ggaUWo0jc&feature=youtu.be

I am so glad you posted this. I knew this week would be right up your alley, Dave. You always connect so deeply to whatever you're playing (even if it's deep joy), and this week is all about that. Looking forward to more bonuses if you've got em.

We did not have Proms, but we did have Xmas dances. Near Xmas the boys and girls would meet up in the gym hall to learn dances. The trouble was the boys stood along the wall bars at one side of the hall, and tried to look like James Dean, and the girls bunched up in small protective huddles over at the other wall. Nobody moved to choose a partner. We were all 12 years old and very shy.

So the teachers got the boys to hold hands and form a circle and got them marching around clockwise. The girls then formed a circle outside and spun in an anticlockwise direction, and we all sang Bee Baw Babbity. The idea was that when the music stopped, who ever was opposite you was your partner for the dance.

The only trouble was there were good looking girls, who always clumped together in their circle, and similarly you would have and fat spotty boys who wore brylcream, all grouped together in the boys circle. The music started and the boy's and girl's circles revolved in opposite directions.

Everybody wanted to avoid somebody, and everybody wanted to hook up with somebody, and as a result the circles would either speed up or slow down. depending on who happened to be opposite you. It was chaos, and what was supposed to be a good idea, turned out to be a disaster.

So there are three things going on. The song is floating above your head, the distraught teacher is in the left channel and a haiku by Anselm Hollo is recited in the right channel.

Choosing a partner in real life is no less hazardous. This is a "head-phones" bonus to remind you that youth is wasted on the young.

That was amazing, Rob. What an awesome artistic expression of that horrible horrible system. Thanks for sharing this one.

mattydee
04-08-2013, 07:08 AM

http://youtu.be/BtSxA6EWOjc

Dave, this was great. So nostalgic. So evocative. Loved the pan on the picture, amazing to see those faces and imagine them dancing to this tune...

This has been our song, for me and my wife, since Tom Paxton week (I did not know of it before then ;), I then did it as a bonus), the chords and lyrics are by Tom, I gave my own interpretation to the melody.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgDJn8BwloM

Wim, I love that you and your wife have a new Song after one of the Seasons. How great is that? And this was well done. I love the rock feel behind this very sweet tune.

Please indulge me my with long intro in this vid. The song has temporal significance for me right now as it will likely be my last uke vid in North America, as well as personal significance for my ex-wife and I going back some 15 years ago now. Hard to explain why; we had a weird relationship. You'll just have to take my word for it.

I practiced the vocals several times in the original key, but the highs were beyond my range, so I took it down an octave.

http://youtu.be/HTIeG9U5v6M

I have to tell you I was not expecting two showtunes to be Our Songs within two days. But there's no explaining love, right? This tune brings me back to high school, when I first discovered this album, so thanks for that. Loved the variation in the strums, Joko. Also, what a sweet little kitten. And Bon Voyage. Don't forget us here on the Underground.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkbOOhRg22Q

Boom. This is what I was hoping for from you Dave, A Cloverdale special. The love just pours out through the screen and speakers, man. So very very evocative. And I'm not gonna lie, some tears of joy over here. Yay.

Dan Uke
04-08-2013, 09:40 AM
This week is gonna be tough as I already played the songs that have meaning. We'll see

bonesigh
04-08-2013, 10:43 AM
This week will be hard for me as "Our Song" is a Hawaiian song. This one...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IFoZK3t-Uk

I've actually been working on this song but the Hawaiian words need much more practice. Maybe and instrumental?? There are 2 other songs that we had at our wedding that I would like to do but don't know if I'll be able to. One of the songs was written by my little brother and he played it for us during the ceremony. Ahhh, what good memories.

caukulele
04-08-2013, 10:46 AM
What a great theme this week. I am looking forward to all the entries, and it looks like my shy husband may even do a song with me this week.....

xommen
04-08-2013, 11:13 AM
This week is gonna be tough as I already played the songs that have meaning. We'll see

What's wrong with a new recording of a song you already did, if it fit's the theme, I normally don't want to do that either, but I guess in this theme it would be logical to have songs you already did, especially BECAUSE they have meaning to you (if I am making any sense here ;)).

pabrizzer
04-08-2013, 11:22 AM
The "entrance of the bride" song from my youngest's (son) wedding just over 2 years ago.
Ben Harper's Waiting on an Angel (bonus).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0oatQ_KdHc

mattydee
04-08-2013, 12:13 PM

What's wrong with a new recording of a song you already did, if it fit's the theme, I normally don't want to do that either, but I guess in this theme it would be logical to have songs you already did, especially BECAUSE they have meaning to you (if I am making any sense here ;)).

Exactly this, Wim. Plus, Daniel, this is an excellent opportunity for a mash-up! Woot!

TCK
04-08-2013, 02:54 PM
I am so glad you posted this. I knew this week would be right up your alley, Dave. You always connect so deeply to whatever you're playing (even if it's deep joy), and this week is all about that. Looking forward to more bonuses if you've got em.

Boom. This is what I was hoping for from you Dave, A Cloverdale special. The love just pours out through the screen and speakers, man. So very very evocative. And I'm not gonna lie, some tears of joy over here. Yay.
Thanks for the very kind words Matt, so glad you have enjoyed what we have to offer so far. I have a few more in me, and I am hoping for getting the title cards right on the next ones (DOH!). Great season- I figure I have connected emotionally to every song I have ever heard, and certainly every one I have ever played, but the real thrill here is looking at what others connect with. Great way to learn a little something about the rest of you fine folks.
I certainly hope we will get to see your song for this week before it ends.
-Dave

myrnaukelele
04-08-2013, 04:20 PM

Hahahahaha! When I asked my hubby what song he would consider as "our song" he started singing- "Nothin but big old hearts dancin in our eyes" ;)
Of course it's gotta be done as a duet and you guys nailed it! (you would NOT have wanted to hear my tone-deaf hubby sing the guys part).

wolfchs
04-08-2013, 05:41 PM
Welcome to Jr. High.
Holy moly!!! I love this song! I remember my uncle playing this back when I was a kid. Thanks for taking me back to that time in my life :) I definitely will now add this to the songs I want to play. Awesome awesome awesome singing and playing!

decaturcomp
04-08-2013, 07:42 PM
Bonus
Playing for people's weddings is usually, "nothing but blues and elvis and somebody else's favorite song" but at the ceremony it's always WAY serious, right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMO8GyIpcsA

One time Terri and I sang One Hand, One Heart from West Side Story (good choice) and then Bridge Over Troubled Water, SRSLY you can't make this stuff up...

TheUkeBloke
04-08-2013, 09:14 PM
I Ain't As Sexy As I Used To Be, HurricaneMitchSongs, ukulele cover.

This is my entry for Season 60 of the Ukulele Underground Contest (re mattydee's theme "They're Playing Our Song").
Okay, we never had Proms, and if I had an "our song" with my ex-wife I'd rather forget it....!
My lovely partner and I just have lots of music which we like to dance to, that I probably can't play anyway.
However, with many years under-the-bridge, this recording for Season 60 typifies my situation, and could well be "our song".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQL0kdIMnc0

pabrizzer
04-08-2013, 10:36 PM

This is my entry for Season 60 of the Ukulele Underground Contest (re mattydee's theme "They're Playing Our Song").
Okay, we never had Proms, and if I had an "our song" with my ex-wife I'd rather forget it....!
My lovely partner and I just have lots of music which we like to dance to, that I probably can't play anyway.
However, with many years under-the-bridge, this recording for Season 60 typifies my situation, and could well be "our song".

Yes David - that sounds like my song. Except my starting point was lower that the song suggested.

rem50
04-09-2013, 09:21 AM
Okay guys and gals I have never done the video thing in one of these contests. I really do not understand how to do the sound (on a mac pro) so if you know the super secret trick please share! :) All I could figure out is to have my son try to help me load to youtube. He is just a bit more cyber savvy than me so it was the blind leading the blind here. Here is the you tube link... (i think/hope)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4r0IGJSw9M

xommen
04-09-2013, 10:10 AM
If you use the filmroll and paste the link in there when you reply you get this:

pabrizzer
04-09-2013, 10:37 AM
Okay guys and gals I have never done the video thing in one of these contests. I really do not understand how to do the sound (on a mac pro) so if you know the super secret trick please share! :) All I could figure out is to have my son try to help me load to youtube. He is just a bit more cyber savvy than me so it was the blind leading the blind here. Here is the you tube link... (i think/hope)

That was great! Welcome to the seasons.

Tootler
04-09-2013, 10:51 AM
Dirty Old Town was written by Ewan MacColl in 1949 to cover an awkward scene change in a play. The town referred to in the title is Salford in Lancashire where Ewan MacColl grew up. Salford was where I went to University and where I met my wife. We were married in 1969, the day after she graduated.

http://youtu.be/zm4YwCZuIgY

The song originally mentioned Salford in the third verse but the local council were not very happy about the specific reference - even if it was an accurate description of the city - so Ewan MacColl changed the third verse which resulted an a more universal song that could be describing any industrial city. The Liverpool folk group, the Spinners whose version was the one I first heard, sang the original words as one member of the group was a Salfordian.

bbbannister
04-09-2013, 11:54 AM

Count yourself lucky, ours was prog rock Genesis! Am working on it though, so You need to do likewise ;-).

Bob.

Hippie Dribble
04-09-2013, 11:58 AM

YES!!!!!! That was just lovely Dean! Welcome aboard brother. You have a nice voice and that is such a sweet song. :)

bbbannister
04-09-2013, 11:58 AM

Where's that then? I grew up 45 mins from Cambridge - Stowmarket.

frisbee fred
04-09-2013, 12:12 PM

Way to go Rem50! Good job on the first video. Keep 'em coming. BTW, I wouldn't give up the remote either.....

Tootler
04-09-2013, 12:14 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNgsexLwmk4

Cool.

Roll time forward eight years (20 years old now) and you have something approximating to Wick on a Saturday night. The dance is supposed to start at eight but go there at eight and there is no one in the dance hall, not even the band. Everyone is in the pub, including the band and the dance doesn't actually start till the pubs have chucked out which was 10 o'clock in those days (1965). Everyone starts to roll up about 10.15 and the women sit round the walls while the men stand in a straggly line across the room about half way down and sway drunkenly while those already fixed up are dancing in what space is left. The shyness has largely persisted in spite of liberal quantities of dutch courage.

The dance was supposed to finish at 12.00 midnight (and it would, there were plenty of strict sabbatarians in the far north of Scotland in those days) but we didn't stay. We decided it was a waste of time and at about 11.00 we went back to Thurso where we were staying at the time.

TCK
04-09-2013, 03:52 PM
Hahahahaha! When I asked my hubby what song he would consider as "our song" he started singing- "Nothin but big old hearts dancin in our eyes" ;)
Of course it's gotta be done as a duet and you guys nailed it! (you would NOT have wanted to hear my tone-deaf hubby sing the guys part).
Hahaha! I love it!
And I totally do want to hear him sing it...If John Prine and Iris Dement can do it off key, we all can do it off key!

Holy moly!!! I love this song! I remember my uncle playing this back when I was a kid. Thanks for taking me back to that time in my life :) I definitely will now add this to the songs I want to play. Awesome awesome awesome singing and playing!
Thank you very much, glad to oblige an old memory- that is what this season is for right?

rem50
04-09-2013, 05:04 PM
I don't undrstand what that means but I will ask again when I do my next one. Thank you for the help!

If you use the filmroll and paste the link in there when you reply you get this:

rem50
04-09-2013, 05:12 PM
Thanks Jon.... I must admit I have a strumming crush on the way you play! Love the songs you do. My problem is I can't tap all over the uke and still stay in time ! Ha! Found one the other day that is right up your alley ( I am working on it for fun but I would love to hear you do it) It is called straighten up and fly right. Thanks again, the kind words are encouraging. Dean

YES!!!!!! That was just lovely Dean! Welcome aboard brother. You have a nice voice and that is such a sweet song. :)

rem50
04-09-2013, 05:16 PM
Way to go Rem50! Good job on the first video. Keep 'em coming. BTW, I wouldn't give up the remote either.....

I think giving up the remote would fall under what I have heard as irreconcilable differences. Been married 33 years to my wonderful wife and she knows not to push it! Ha!

Dougf
04-09-2013, 06:40 PM
It was very clear to my wife and me that this was our song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hpHBmTfGI0

mattydee
04-09-2013, 07:09 PM
The "entrance of the bride" song from my youngest's (son) wedding just over 2 years ago.
Ben Harper's Waiting on an Angel (bonus).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0oatQ_KdHc

Pa, your voice on this one was really sweet and perfect. You are so great with that guitalele. Also, I love that you performed songs at your son's wedding. Thanks for sharing them.

Bonus
Playing for people's weddings is usually, "nothing but blues and elvis and somebody else's favorite song" but at the ceremony it's always WAY serious, right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMO8GyIpcsA

One time Terri and I sang One Hand, One Heart from West Side Story (good choice) and then Bridge Over Troubled Water, SRSLY you can't make this stuff up...

This is one of my favorite performances of yours alan. SImple, sweet. Can't wait to hear your official entry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQL0kdIMnc0

Nice one UkeBloke. Great way to turn the theme on its ear a bit, but still stay connected. Really fun.

I. Loved. This. Welcome to the Seasons, rem, and please, please stay with us. This was a great entry: you really connected to the song, the running commentary was sweet, and man, does that Sceptre sound great. Not sure what all the grousing is about in the Uke Talk section...

Dirty Old Town was written by Ewan MacColl in 1949 to cover an awkward scene change in a play. The town referred to in the title is Salford in Lancashire where Ewan MacColl grew up. Salford was where I went to University and where I met my wife. We were married in 1969, the day after she graduated.

http://youtu.be/zm4YwCZuIgY

The song originally mentioned Salford in the third verse but the local council were not very happy about the specific reference - even if it was an accurate description of the city - so Ewan MacColl changed the third verse which resulted an a more universal song that could be describing any industrial city. The Liverpool folk group, the Spinners whose version was the one I first heard, sang the original words as one member of the group was a Salfordian.

This was great Geoff. Your signature sound and delivery. I'd love to hear more about what this song means to you and how it came to be Your Song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hpHBmTfGI0

Yay! This is probably my favorite Gershwin song, and on the short list for Our Song as well. I'm so so glad it was Yours. Love to hear those signature Doug jazz chord voicings. And what uke is that? It sounds great, I loved it, but I'm so used to your pineapple!

mattydee
04-09-2013, 07:18 PM
I certainly hope we will get to see your song for this week before it ends.
-Dave

I just worked out the chords to Our Song -- it was unavailable on the intertubes. Now to arrange and rehearse. I should be able to make it happen. I also already happen to have an arrangement of my Prom song. So, there's that...

myrnaukelele
04-09-2013, 08:00 PM
mattydee -thanks for a great theme. Oh the memories! I haven't looked at my wedding pictures in a long time. As I stare out the window at a foot of new snow I can't help but remember that beautiful hot sunny day in June of 2004. This song will always be special to me because I sang it at my wedding.

http://youtu.be/UudpICFFkd0

barefootgypsy
04-10-2013, 02:02 AM
Doug, just snatching a few minutes for some listens, and I saw you'd done this - it really is our song! One of a few, but up there at the top of the list.... and I'm so glad you did it! I fear it's a tad tricky for me just yet, but I must give it a try sometime soon. But that was beautifully done, bravo! :)

barefootgypsy
04-10-2013, 02:04 AM
mattydee -thanks for a great theme. Oh the memories! I haven't looked at my wedding pictures in a long time. As I stare out the window at a foot of new snow I can't help but remember that beautiful hot sunny day in June of 2004. This song will always be special to me because I sang it at my wedding.
Myrna, seeing your video gave me such joy! What a beautiful wedding! I can feel the joyous vibes through your song, from over here..... fabulous, just fabulous! You were a lovely bride! And to be wed in that setting - oh, beyond beautiful! Thank you for sharing that with us!

barefootgypsy
04-10-2013, 02:08 AM

The song originally mentioned Salford in the third verse but the local council were not very happy about the specific reference - even if it was an accurate description of the city - so Ewan MacColl changed the third verse which resulted an a more universal song that could be describing any industrial city. The Liverpool folk group, the Spinners whose version was the one I first heard, sang the original words as one member of the group was a Salfordian.Lovely, Geoff! The version I first heard (1967) was the Ian Campbell Group's.... sung by Brian, Lorna Campbell's husband. Of course, to us it referred to Birmingham! Well done there, loved it!

wee_ginga_yin
04-10-2013, 02:47 AM
An old Dylan song, my official entry. A song about intimacy, and being together.

http://youtu.be/sl8etts3-S8

rem50
04-10-2013, 02:55 AM
Mattydee, what are you referring to as to the "grousing"? I have no idea what you are talking about.

Dougf
04-10-2013, 10:28 AM
Here's a bonus, same song as my entry, but my arrangement for solo ukulele.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ypgf-nJoc5U

GinnyT11
04-10-2013, 11:58 AM

Myrna, how very tender and sweet! You were a lovely bride—I like your dress with the sweetheart neckline.

GinnyT11
04-10-2013, 12:00 PM
Mattydee, I'm sorry that I don't have time to post a song for you this week, but I'm going out of town.

We have a special song, however, which came out very shortly after MrT and I were married: "You're Still the One," by Orleans. We've been together 42 years and married for 39. Ukuleles only came into the picture in 2006. :)

thesillydave
04-10-2013, 12:17 PM
junior prom 1978...first real dance i ever went to. oh we thought we were cool in our rented tuxes...might have danced one song!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23Q3Xa5TgLU

mattydee
04-10-2013, 12:28 PM
Mattydee, what are you referring to as to the "grousing"? I have no idea what you are talking about.

Someone started a thread recently about the sceptre, with a poll. Lots of people had less than kind things to say about the style, though everyone who had actually played one waxed pretty rhapsodic, if I recall. That's all. As for me, I wouldn't buy one based on looks, but the sound sure is sweet!

Tootler
04-10-2013, 02:12 PM
This was great Geoff. Your signature sound and delivery. I'd love to hear more about what this song means to you and how it came to be Your Song.

My wife's and my musical tastes differ somewhat but we both very much like the songs of Ewan MacColl and of Tom Paxton.

Dirty Old Town belongs to my University days and to the place I went to University and that was where my wife and I met and did our courting. Also the words of the song express the old Salford that was starting to disappear while we were there. There was still the industry and the old terraced housing and the song encapsulates the old industrial cities so well. It's special in a way that's hard to put into words. Salford has changed and last time I was there, a great many of the familiar landmarks had gone.

Anyway, you have it in the bonuses and it was meant to be my entry.

rem50
04-10-2013, 02:46 PM
As for me it was quite the opposite. I saw it (it was dkcrownes) and called him and asked for a strum. It was my only high end purchase and thought it looked so great.I usually never buy a instrument without playing first but with the forum we don't have that option usually. When I received it and picked it up I thought I got ripped off. I was shocked by how light it was. I then started playing it and that instrument is a canon. I take it to bluegrass jams all the time and everyone seems to love how it holds its own. The best thing I love about it is its loud voice, the worst thing is its loud voice! ha! I have a pono concert that is so sweet but can't jam well with other instruments.Hopefully I will figure out how this vidoe thing works so I can get audio and visual synched and get decent sound so I can do these contests. Thanks for clearing the grousing :)
Someone started a thread recently about the sceptre, with a poll. Lots of people had less than kind things to say about the style, though everyone who had actually played one waxed pretty rhapsodic, if I recall. That's all. As for me, I wouldn't buy one based on looks, but the sound sure is sweet!

SailQwest
04-10-2013, 02:51 PM
Whenever we hear this song (Brown Eyed Girl), my husband and I dance, regardless of where we are. It's a silly thing, and it always makes me smile.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH7yzqQtAM0

myrnaukelele
04-10-2013, 03:21 PM
Myrna, seeing your video gave me such joy! What a beautiful wedding! I can feel the joyous vibes through your song, from over here..... fabulous, just fabulous! You were a lovely bride! And to be wed in that setting - oh, beyond beautiful! Thank you for sharing that with us!

Myrna, how very tender and sweet! You were a lovely bride—I like your dress with the sweetheart neckline.

Oh thanks you guys! Every bride is beautiful on her day.:o
And it was a gorgeous day! Which is lucky because I'd made no contingency plans for rain- if it had rained we would have all been soaked. We had a GREAT party that day. We roasted a pig, some friends of ours owned an oyster farm and brought a cooler full of oysters, the food was fabulous, the cakes were made from scratch and were absolutely scrumptious, the jazz band played all those old standards i love and we danced and danced, and my band at the time played bluegrass once the jazz was over. There was a lake just over the hill and many guests went swimming and canoeing (I wanted to go for a paddle but Bill didn't want to get his tux wet). It was the best wedding!!

TCK
04-10-2013, 04:50 PM
A sweet little song I learned today on the way home from work.
Dedicated to Uncle Shelby, FiL, and a few girls whose names I can still recall.
Sorry to bug y'all again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WvJTzpS7tY&feature=youtu.be

decaturcomp
04-10-2013, 05:57 PM
The flipside of our song is still part of our song sometimes...it depends on how things end up.
A bonus tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9qbrXVZrKg

mattydee
04-10-2013, 06:45 PM
My wife's and my musical tastes differ somewhat but we both very much like the songs of Ewan MacColl and of Tom Paxton.

<snip>

It's special in a way that's hard to put into words.

Anyway, you have it in the bonuses and it was meant to be my entry.

This is why we have songs... They can put things into words for us.

And sorry about the playlist mix-up... I knew it was your official entry, just clicked the wrong button. Should be fixed now.

wolfchs
04-10-2013, 08:59 PM
I'm really bummed I won't be able to enter this week as I was really looking forward to doing this song. I've been practicing singing it in the car since Monday on my drive to/from work but it's just been a busy week as I'm going out of the country for two weeks (vacation yay!) later on today so been trying to make sure everything at work & home will be taken care of. I will still try to learn how to do this song when I get back and try to post here, but here's "our song":
"Glitter In The Air" by P!nk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXsL8c93j5A

erivel
04-10-2013, 11:22 PM
Ok here's my entry. Chelle guessed it. My high school prom song. Those were the days! Thanks mattydee for brining back those memories! Sorry for butchering the lyrics at the end...this was like the 20th take and the first one that I made all the way through!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOK3SIKCZdI

bonesigh
04-11-2013, 03:19 AM
SailQwest.....I quite like this song myself. It's a happy sounding song. Looks like your having fun and you guys did a great job! I made a parody for kids of this song a few years back called "My Brown Eyed Pooch". They always love when I get to the "bow, wow, wow, wow" part.

bonesigh
04-11-2013, 03:28 AM
Nice one decaturcomp. I like sad songs. There is such a depth of emotion.

bonesigh
04-11-2013, 03:33 AM
Beautiful song wolfchs. Hope you get around to doing this because I'm gonna want to play and sing along (:

bonesigh
04-11-2013, 03:41 AM
Sorry for posting so much today. I was catching up. Wish I had the time to post something for everyone. I'm really enjoying this season. It has got me thinking so much about the past. Though I said before I was going to do my wedding song (well, one of 'em anyway) I changed my mind when I was browsing through high school songs. My eldest daughter was sitting next to me peering over my shoulder and I suddenly remembered the song I would sing to her every night up until she was about 10 years old. We looked up the song and sang along and we both had tears in our eyes. It was a precious moment. We are going to sing that song and post it soon. Have fun everyone!

frisbee fred
04-11-2013, 04:06 AM
This is killin me. I'm on the road all week and in a hotel in Appleton, WI without much time even in the evenings to practice. I might be one of those on Sunday morning trying to figure out if it's past midnight yet in Hawaii........

FiL
04-11-2013, 04:58 AM

Aww, thanks for sharin' the dance!

- FiL

mattydee
04-11-2013, 08:21 AM
Ok here's my entry. Chelle guessed it. My high school prom song. Those were the days! Thanks mattydee for brining back those memories! Sorry for butchering the lyrics at the end...this was like the 20th take and the first one that I made all the way through!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOK3SIKCZdI

Eric, this got better and better as it went. Loved the arrangement and particularly your strum. Dennis DeYoung can really get into the stratosphere, but you did this tune justice! I'm glad you decided to play it for us.

junior prom 1978...first real dance i ever went to. oh we thought we were cool in our rented tuxes...might have danced one song!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23Q3Xa5TgLU

I love it when thesillydave becomes thedownanddirtydave. That gravel voice on this tune really brings something great out of it. And well played, too, of course.

Whenever we hear this song (Brown Eyed Girl), my husband and I dance, regardless of where we are. It's a silly thing, and it always makes me smile.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH7yzqQtAM0

So sweet! I would have loved to have seen you dancing to it, but that feeling definitely came out in the playing! Great job.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WvJTzpS7tY&feature=youtu.be

Whew! This song definitely encapsulates one huge facet of this season. I didn't know it before, but I love this version. Simple, honest. Thanks, Dave.

The flipside of our song is still part of our song sometimes...it depends on how things end up.
A bonus tune.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9qbrXVZrKg

Really beautiful playing on this one, Alan. Even in the submarine... And a great bonus choice.

http://youtu.be/UudpICFFkd0

So. Much. Joy in this. This is the other huge facet to this season. Singing a song that has such a special place in your heart because it reminds you of that person. I'm getting teary just thinking about it. I am so glad you played this for us.

An old Dylan song, my official entry. A song about intimacy, and being together.

http://youtu.be/sl8etts3-S8

Rob, I love this song, and your signature stylings on it are really fantastic. That ghostly quality really makes it sing in a new way for me.

Here's a bonus, same song as my entry, but my arrangement for solo ukulele.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ypgf-nJoc5U

Gorgeous, pure and simple.

krabbers
04-11-2013, 08:30 AM
i know i know i said 50 something .........heres me week 60

http://youtu.be/KaPYMkPQBPo

mattydee
04-11-2013, 08:57 AM
i know i know i said 50 something .........heres me week 60
http://youtu.be/KaPYMkPQBPo

Ohhhh, so good. Great arrangement. You've really modernized this song, somehow. Excellent.

Hochapeafarm
04-11-2013, 01:21 PM
Hey, everyone! Mattydee, love the theme this week! This entry is one of "our many songs" with my hubby -- but, since I am on an 80's kick, well...had to try to do this one! It has been a tough one for me to do for LOTS of reasons -- rhythm with both playing and singing this one kept messing me up...my E chord issues...I kept messing up the lyrics (you can see me cheating reading off my lyrics sheet)...and this song is most definitely NOT suited well for my vocal range...I almost didn't post this week per these issues, but I just watched Eric's Styx cover and it got me so motivated to give it another whirl! Hope y'all enjoy my cover of "In Your Eyes" by Peter Gabriel!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6itj_hgb_s

mattydee
04-11-2013, 01:29 PM
Hey, everyone! Mattydee, love the theme this week! This entry is one of "our many songs" with my hubby -- but, since I am on an 80's kick, well...had to try to do this one! It has been a tough one for me to do for LOTS of reasons -- rhythm with both playing and singing this one kept messing me up...my E chord issues...I kept messing up the lyrics (you can see me cheating reading off my lyrics sheet)...and this song is most definitely NOT suited well for my vocal range...I almost didn't post this week per these issues, but I just watched Eric's Styx cover and it got me so motivated to give it another whirl! Hope y'all enjoy my cover of "In Your Eyes" by Peter Gabriel!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6itj_hgb_s

That was great! Good strong strum, and your voice is better suited to this than you think. Plus, Lloyd Dobler!

http://brooklynbased.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/lloyd-dobler.jpg

Hochapeafarm
04-11-2013, 01:33 PM
Awesome, mattydee!!!! Thank you so much for your comment and for hosting a great season!!!! :-)

I soooo love the classic pic from Say Anything!

That was great! Good strong strum, and your voice is better suited to this than you think. Plus, Lloyd Dobler!

thesillydave
04-11-2013, 01:50 PM
i thought about trying dream on by aerosmith...then re-watched matty's version from the 26th season...now,...not so sure!!

krabbers
04-11-2013, 02:17 PM
Thanks Matty. Annoyed that I missed last weeks deadline. But just realised that this has time in the title. So it is also a late entry for 59 Ginny.

Ohhhh, so good. Great arrangement. You've really modernized this song, somehow. Excellent.

Jazzbanjorex
04-11-2013, 02:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDi6qYt7K_s&feature=youtu.be

We had worn chemical warfare gear most of the day. At one point she had charcoal smudges on her face so bad that she looked like a refuge from a war zone. The F16s had been buzzing above us and fake bomb going off around us. We had performed simulated war triage on patients most of the day while trying to avoid being exposed to simulate chemical attacks.

After that long day a group of us went out to a near by club. The two of us danced to this song to find out when the song was over that everyone had left us there alone. Together. She told me years later that it was during this song that she felt safe in my arms.

Jazzbanjorex
04-11-2013, 04:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5Su8Ha8xV4&feature=youtu.be

Jazzbanjorex
04-11-2013, 05:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyncwLU7mG4&feature=youtu.be

erivel
04-11-2013, 08:51 PM

Lloyd Dobler...Ice Man!!! Nice one Chelle! Another one of my fav films from that era!

erivel
04-11-2013, 08:56 PM
Eric, this got better and better as it went. Loved the arrangement and particularly your strum. Dennis DeYoung can really get into the stratosphere, but you did this tune justice! I'm glad you decided to play it for us.

Thanks Matt I really appreciate it! Yeah, Dennis and the boys get really high up there on the vocals. The dogs across the street were annoyed...

wee_ginga_yin
04-12-2013, 01:15 AM
Checks and balances. We may all indeed have "our song" when things are wonderful and at their glorious best, but oft times the songs that speak to us the most are "my songs" when the coin has been flipped and the love nest is deserted. A bonus for the loners.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiSBME1cOIs

barefootgypsy
04-12-2013, 03:08 AM
Checks and balances. We may all indeed have "our song" when things are wonderful and at their glorious best, but oft times the songs that speak to us the most are "my songs" when the coin has been flipped and the love nest is deserted. A bonus for the loners.
You have no idea how much I loved that! Lordy, you can put a song over! That was off the scale - and as for the song itself, I loved the bit about the bathroom cabinet..... I am learnin' to love the blues!....... and about love, in the end...... I've heard it said, there are no happy endings, one way or another. Counting my blessings.... coming up 42 years wed.

:cheers:

barefootgypsy
04-12-2013, 03:13 AM
A bonus tune.Just beautiful, Alan! Beautifully sung and played, from the heart, where it matters......as you always do!

wee_ginga_yin
04-12-2013, 03:49 AM
You have no idea how much I loved that! Lordy, you can put a song over! That was off the scale - and as for the song itself, I loved the bit about the bathroom cabinet..... I am learnin' to love the blues!....... and about love, in the end...... I've heard it said, there are no happy endings, one way or another. Counting my blessings.... coming up 42 years wed.

:cheers:

Yeah the bathroom cabinet verse is a classic... the mention of razor blades the sleeping pills.
sets you up to thinking that things are going to turn out bad, but it is a perfect example of bathos,
where there is an abrupt transition in style from the exalted to the commonplace, producing a
ludicrous effect.

Thank you for your kind words.

bonesigh
04-12-2013, 06:25 AM
Jazzbanjorex...I'd long forgotten about this song (Sad Eyes). You had me singin' along. Great job (:

mattydee
04-12-2013, 10:28 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDi6qYt7K_s&feature=youtu.be

We had worn chemical warfare gear most of the day. At one point she had charcoal smudges on her face so bad that she looked like a refuge from a war zone. The F16s had been buzzing above us and fake bomb going off around us. We had performed simulated war triage on patients most of the day while trying to avoid being exposed to simulate chemical attacks.

After that long day a group of us went out to a near by club. The two of us danced to this song to find out when the song was over that everyone had left us there alone. Together. She told me years later that it was during this song that she felt safe in my arms.

This was really good, Rex. really, really good. The song was totally yours, and I could feel every bit of emotion through it. Well sung, well, played. And what an amazing story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5Su8Ha8xV4&feature=youtu.be

Your control of your high register gets better with every tune. Thanks for singing something from your past!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyncwLU7mG4&feature=youtu.be

Yes! A great tune. My recollection is that this was Martin Q Blank and Debi's song in Grosse Pointe Blank. So at least 2 John Cusack references this season! Awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiSBME1cOIs

This is excellent, Rob. I really love the strum you have going here on this fantastic blues number.

Jazzbanjorex
04-12-2013, 10:49 AM
Jazzbanjorex...I'd long forgotten about this song (Sad Eyes). You had me singin' along. Great job (:
Thank you.

SailQwest
04-12-2013, 10:52 AM
I'm caught up on the playlist. Really great videos this Season!

Jazzbanjorex
04-12-2013, 10:57 AM
This was really good, Rex. really, really good. The song was totally yours, and I could feel every bit of emotion through it. Well sung, well, played. And what an amazing story.

Your control of your high register gets better with every tune. Thanks for singing something from your past!

Yes! A great tune. My recollection is that this was Martin Q Blank and Debi's song in Grosse Pointe Blank. So at least 2 John Cusack references this season! Awesome..

Thank you for your nice comments.

caukulele
04-12-2013, 12:57 PM
This has been a fun theme this week. My husband joins me on this video to do "Our Theme" together.... First time we ever tried to do something like this...so it was a lot of fun and we learned a lot.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygOHLWa1kdE

pabrizzer
04-12-2013, 01:34 PM
This has been a fun theme this week. My husband joins me on this video to do "Our Theme" together.... First time we ever tried to do something like this...so it was a lot of fun and we learned a lot.....

Really lovely! For this Season's theme you guys have hit the bull's eye!

Tootler
04-12-2013, 01:41 PM
My Wife is a fan of the Man in Black, so I thought I would do this as a bonus.

http://youtu.be/UKsYQRgZ8Bc

chrimess
04-12-2013, 01:47 PM
It is just getting better and better in the seasons.
This is based on Abe Lagrima's arrangement transcribed by our friend XYZ on this forum. It represents the defining song not just for our high school dances(no proms in germany) but also our generation overall:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdhC_LI9qBw&sns=em

mattydee
04-12-2013, 02:25 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygOHLWa1kdE

This was just beautiful. I hope your husband joins you for many more... you guys make a great team!

My Wife is a fan of the Man in Black, so I thought I would do this as a bonus.

http://youtu.be/UKsYQRgZ8Bc

Great steady Tootlin' strum there. Thanks Geoff!

It is just getting better and better in the seasons.
This is based on Abe Lagrima's arrangement transcribed by our friend XYZ on this forum. It represents the defining song not just for our high school dances(no proms in germany) but also our generation overall:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdhC_LI9qBw&sns=em

This took me back to a high school dance. So vivid. Amazing how certain songs just burn things into your memory. What a great song choice. Also, I love the control over your voice here, Christian -- really great choice to let the uke do the screaming and just sing the softer bits, it allows the song to really shine in a new way. I'd love to add this to my repertoire -- can you point me to those tabs?

chrimess
04-12-2013, 02:48 PM
Hi, Md, here come the tabs, thx for the praise:
http://www.blenistour.info/ukulele/

bbbannister
04-13-2013, 07:11 AM
Hi everyone

Week 60 and I've fallen out of love ;-)

Tried all week to do 'Our Song' and decided I can't begin to do it justice.

Anyway who chooses prog rock to be their song?

OK so we did, and it means this week I've probably broken every rule that has ever existed in UU Seasons, but hey, it was fun trying.

I think there is a fair chance this will get taken down by 'the tube' so probably best to listen quick or not at all!

Listening to it again, that's probably the best thing for it!

I humbly apologise to all Prog funs for messing up perfection ;-)

Happy 60th.

BB

http://youtu.be/Zu7U71fnnEs

frisbee fred
04-13-2013, 08:42 AM

That's great song and a beautiful story. Very well done.

frisbee fred
04-13-2013, 08:45 AM

That was beautiful. You should get bonus points for getting your spouse to do it with you (and for him doing it that well).

caukulele
04-13-2013, 08:54 AM
That was beautiful. You should get bonus points for getting your spouse to do it with you (and for him doing it that well).
Thanks! Yes for me, that was the very best part, being able to record it together. He has a great voice, but has always been to shy to record with me.... Now the "ice" is broken and I think we will do more in the future. He just couldn't resist doing "our song" with me.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
04-13-2013, 09:16 AM
Great Season, everyone! So much sweetness and love in here.

Still haven't recorded my entry---can't get enough practice---but my wife and my song is pretty obscure so I thought I'd share it first. Our relationship started out long-distance (her in NYC, me in San Francisco) in 2009. The internet was an important way for us to communicate---sending notes and links back and forth all the time. She shared this video with me, and it's been our song ever since.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNdBSH_Tv2k

Stayed tuned for the uke version tonight or tomorrow.

we tigers
04-13-2013, 09:24 AM
that's a brilliant song, Ralf! The Good old eighties!

mattydee
04-13-2013, 10:08 AM

Still haven't recorded my entry---can't get enough practice---but my wife and my song is pretty obscure so I thought I'd share it first. Our relationship started out long-distance (her in NYC, me in San Francisco) in 2009. The internet was an important way for us to communicate---sending notes and links back and forth all the time. She shared this video with me, and it's been our song ever since.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNdBSH_Tv2k

Stayed tuned for the uke version tonight or tomorrow.

I think that video just won the Internet.

mattydee
04-13-2013, 10:44 AM
Hi everyone

Week 60 and I've fallen out of love ;-)

Tried all week to do 'Our Song' and decided I can't begin to do it justice.

Anyway who chooses prog rock to be their song?

OK so we did, and it means this week I've probably broken every rule that has ever existed in UU Seasons, but hey, it was fun trying.

I think there is a fair chance this will get taken down by 'the tube' so probably best to listen quick or not at all!

Listening to it again, that's probably the best thing for it!

I humbly apologise to all Prog funs for messing up perfection ;-)

Happy 60th.

BB

http://youtu.be/Zu7U71fnnEs

Ack, Bob, I don't think I can count this as an official entry, since your whole line was overdubbed, even though the overdub is to the original track. Really great fingerstylings, though. I really enjoyed this one, thanks for playing it! I've got it on the bonus playlist. I also love seeing the breadth of styles and songs we're seeing this week.

xommen
04-13-2013, 10:49 AM
This is a bonus which I recorded together with my wife (she joins in on the chorus).
We have both seen Martyn perform live at a festival we both went to for years (26 in total, as we both went, before we met each other, we are married for 19 years now. Last year was the last time, as the festival stopped, but we will be going to it's successor). The song is about how we could treat people better then we normally do.

http://youtu.be/rRSL2qJqxMQ

wee_ginga_yin
04-13-2013, 11:58 AM

I think I just saw a STARCAT (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTKgHNA2rdA) in that video

we tigers
04-13-2013, 12:58 PM
We have had several different Our Songs in the more than 16 years we've been together, and it was difficult to pick one to stand in the shadow of the original without hurting the emotion attached to it. DougF already did Our love is here to stay beautifully, which is the song we got married to.

So Michael went to Cambridge with his classes and we had some time to think about it. We finally picked Do you love me now? by the Breeders. Our very first phone conversation (in 1993) was about the album it was on. Later, we played it in our first band in high school. We had broken up by then after a short fling, but to Saskia it felt weird because she was still attached to him and the lyrics were so accurate. There's a picture of that (really crappy) band in the film (Saskia on bass, Michael on guitar).

So there it is: with very little time to rehearse and record, Do you love me now?

http://youtu.be/aZAv-Fa0Cbw

barefootgypsy
04-13-2013, 01:11 PM
That was SO beautiful! What a fabulous week... I do love this.... don't know whether I'll get an entry done. I'll try... might even try to gt Himself roped in, thinking aloud ... thank you so much for sharing that one with us! Still smiling! Lovely voices, lovely sentiment.

filipinouker
04-13-2013, 02:45 PM
My husband does not have a single musical bone in his body, so we don't have an official "our song." I, on the other hand, have a song for every moment, every crush, every place I go :D so it was hard to choose one for this season.

Here's a song by Andrew Gold (1978).
A song which had significance for me in May 1992 when my husband (my close friend at the time) left the Philippines to go back to England. I never would have guessed I could miss someone so bad ... I guess I never felt this much aware that I love him... After 18 years of marriage, I look back and I am REALLY HAPPY I never let him slip away!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_SAz-BsMd4

Hippie Dribble
04-13-2013, 04:44 PM
thanks Matt for one of the sweetest weeks eva.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ppCBzotcQg

Here's the backstory...

Well, me and eugenie have a number of songs we claim as "our song". This one is particularly significant because she's always stirred me about my love of Deano and the extreme cheese aspect of a lot of his material. When we got married in September 1998 we made up a couple of Mix-Tapes for the reception. Unbeknownst to her I snuck in "Memories Are Made Of This" at the very end and when it came on well, we just had to dance. Been pretty special to us ever since... :)

bonesigh
04-13-2013, 04:58 PM
Here is our rendition of this beautiful song by Art Garfunkel on his album "From a Parent to a Child".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbzzLj8e-84&feature=youtu.be

bonesigh
04-13-2013, 04:59 PM
Also here's a video of the original which we could never even come close to covering well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAvFVMN9evI
Enjoy (:

frisbee fred
04-13-2013, 05:19 PM
We don't really have an "our song". Seems like we should after almost 25 years. This hymn was sung beautifully at our wedding. We have good memories whenever we hear it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoNIBoofYvc&feature=youtu.be

frisbee fred
04-13-2013, 05:24 PM
Here is our rendition of this beautiful song by Art Garfunkel on his album "From a Parent to a Child".

Great duet! I hope you do more together. It's been great seeing people with other family members on this thread.

chrimess
04-13-2013, 05:34 PM
It has been your ultimate (in frisbee terms...)
Great duet! I hope you do more together. It's been great seeing people with other family members on this thread.

frisbee fred
04-13-2013, 05:41 PM
It has been your ultimate (in frisbee terms...)

:) Now, if you know what "sconing your disc" means I'll really be impressed.......

decaturcomp
04-14-2013, 05:21 AM
Great song, great story, great performance. Man, I loved this.

thanks Matt for one of the sweetest weeks eva.

Here's the backstory...

Well, me and eugenie have a number of songs we claim as "our song". This one is particularly significant because she's always stirred me about my love of Deano and the extreme cheese aspect of a lot of his material. When we got married in September 1998 we made up a couple of Mix-Tapes for the reception. Unbeknownst to her I snuck in "Memories Are Made Of This" at the very end and when it came on well, we just had to dance. Been pretty special to us ever since... :)

Barbablanca
04-14-2013, 05:25 AM
I nearly didn't get an entry in this week! I have been very busy. Amongst other things, this included the first performance of a new kids' show I've been working on with a local Catalan performer. It went really well!

Then my darling Carmen has had a major dental operation involving drilling into the bone, etc. So, for the last few days, she has looked like she has gone 12 rounds with Muhammad Alli without ever landing a punch ;) - So, I've been chief nurse while she has been recovering.

Anyway, this traditional love story and murder ballad I have adapted may seem a very strange choice as "our song" - but how could it be any other?

In 1987, in a local bar, I was singing a repertory of English Folk Ballads with my friend Jim Mageean (a fabulous shanty singer) who was visiting me in my "new" home of Catalonia. 98% of the audience understood very little of what we were singing about, so when it came to "Young Emma" - a murder ballad - I decided to illustrate the song as we went along. I looked into the audience for a beautiful young woman to play my protagonist and picked out a lovely young lass on the front row. The I picked an unlikely candidate for her lover (audience laughter guaranteed) and likewise her Dad.

Anyway, I explain, in Spanish, to my "actors" what they have to do for each scene as we go along. But Carmen (for it was her) said: "It's ok, no need to explain to me, I speak English!" We continue with the song to much laughter and applause and I thank my actors and they return to their places at the end.

So, after the show I look all around the bar for this interesting young woman who was not only gorgeous, but also spoke English! Like in that Dylan song about this situation, she had disappeared.

However, a friend of mine who is a bit of a gossip knew who she was and found out (on the grapevine) whether she had a boyfriend - she didn't. So, I went to the bar every night waiting for her to come in. She didn't! After a week I went round to the school where she worked and asked to see her. I was pointed to a gym where she was working with some kids. When I entered I expected to see her heart flutter as she recognised the handsome young singer, with the powerful voice, she had seen perform recently. However, she was thinking. "Oh no, one of the kids' parents! What the hell does he want?" ;)

Anyway, we became friends and after three months of subtle hints... which were apparently going over her head... we became more than just friends and have been together ever since. So, what other song could I possibly include here as "our song" than "Young Emma"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaFb-gURg2Y&feature=youtube_gdata

Lyrics in the description on YouTube

frisbee fred
04-14-2013, 05:32 AM
Barbalanca - "When I entered I expected to see her heart flutter as she recognised the handsome young singer, with the powerful voice" From the way the story was going up to that point you're lucky she didn't say "There's that stalker I can't seem to shake...." :-)

Your voice sounds great as usual on this song. Hope Mrs. Barbalanca is feeling better.

mattydee
04-14-2013, 05:35 AM
This is a bonus which I recorded together with my wife (she joins in on the chorus).
We have both seen Martyn perform live at a festival we both went to for years (26 in total, as we both went, before we met each other, we are married for 19 years now. Last year was the last time, as the festival stopped, but we will be going to it's successor). The song is about how we could treat people better then we normally do.
http://youtu.be/rRSL2qJqxMQ

This was sweet Wim... It's really great to see the spouses come out of the woodwork this week.

We have had several different Our Songs in the more than 16 years we've been together, and it was difficult to pick one to stand in the shadow of the original without hurting the emotion attached to it. DougF already did Our love is here to stay beautifully, which is the song we got married to.

So Michael went to Cambridge with his classes and we had some time to think about it. We finally picked Do you love me now? by the Breeders. Our very first phone conversation (in 1993) was about the album it was on. Later, we played it in our first band in high school. We had broken up by then after a short fling, but to Saskia it felt weird because she was still attached to him and the lyrics were so accurate. There's a picture of that (really crappy) band in the film (Saskia on bass, Michael on guitar).

So there it is: with very little time to rehearse and record, Do you love me now?

http://youtu.be/aZAv-Fa0Cbw

Really great, Tigers! You guys play so well together. And that new Koaloha is amazing.

My husband does not have a single musical bone in his body, so we don't have an official "our song." I, on the other hand, have a song for every moment, every crush, every place I go :D so it was hard to choose one for this season.

Here's a song by Andrew Gold (1978).
A song which had significance for me in May 1992 when my husband (my close friend at the time) left the Philippines to go back to England. I never would have guessed I could miss someone so bad ... I guess I never felt this much aware that I love him... After 18 years of marriage, I look back and I am REALLY HAPPY I never let him slip away!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_SAz-BsMd4

This was absolutely lovely, and a great example of the theme, but sadly, a bonus because of the overdub. I really enjoyed it, though!

thanks Matt for one of the sweetest weeks evah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ppCBzotcQg

Here's the backstory...

More signature Jon brilliance. And that new Bruko is about a perfect a uke for your style as I can imagine. It almost sounds like it has been filtered through an old timey phonograph. Great arrangement and performance, as ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbzzLj8e-84&feature=youtu.be

This was also very sweet! All the duets this season are really making me smile ear to ear, and this is no exception. You can really feel the love pour out in this one. But, the single continuous take was broken for that last line... A rule flub, so sadly, bonus...

We don't really have an "our song". Seems like we should after almost 25 years. This hymn was sung beautifully at our wedding. We have good memories whenever we hear it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoNIBoofYvc&feature=youtu.be

More wedding songs! Yay! Well played and sung, Fred. Thanks for this one!

mattydee
04-14-2013, 05:41 AM
I nearly didn't get an entry in this week! I have been very busy. Amongst other things, this included the first performance of a new kids' show I've been working on with a local Catalan performer. It went really well!

Then my darling Carmen has had a major dental operation involving drilling into the bone, etc. So, for the last few days, she has looked like she has gone 12 rounds with Muhammad Alli without ever landing a punch ;) - So, I've been chief nurse while she has been recovering.

Anyway, this traditional love story and murder ballad I have adapted may seem a very strange choice as "our song" - but how could it be any other?

In 1987, in a local bar, I was singing a repertory of English Folk Ballads with my friend Jim Mageean (a fabulous shanty singer) who was visiting me in my "new" home of Catalonia. 98% of the audience understood very little of what we were singing about, so when it came to "Young Emma" - a murder ballad - I decided to illustrate the song as we went along. I looked into the audience for a beautiful young woman to play my protagonist and picked out a lovely young lass on the front row. The I picked an unlikely candidate for her lover (audience laughter guaranteed) and likewise her Dad.

Anyway, I explain, in Spanish, to my "actors" what they have to do for each scene as we go along. But Carmen (for it was her) said: "It's ok, no need to explain to me, I speak English!" We continue with the song to much laughter and applause and I thank my actors and they return to their places at the end.

So, after the show I look all around the bar for this interesting young woman who was not only gorgeous, but also spoke English! Like in that Dylan song about this situation, she had disappeared.

However, a friend of mine who is a bit of a gossip knew who she was and found out (on the grapevine) whether she had a boyfriend - she didn't. So, I went to the bar every night waiting for her to come in. She didn't! After a week I went round to the school where she worked and asked to see her. I was pointed to a gym where she was working with some kids. When I entered I expected to see her heart flutter as she recognised the handsome young singer, with the powerful voice, she had seen perform recently. However, she was thinking. "Oh no, one of the kids' parents! What the hell does he want?" ;)

Anyway, we became friends and after three months of subtle hints... which were apparently going over her head... we became more than just friends and have been together ever since. So, what other song could I possibly include here as "our song" than "Young Emma"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaFb-gURg2Y&feature=youtube_gdata

Lyrics in the description on YouTube

Beautifully played and sung Bernie. I loved the picking/strum pattern, and felt like this might be one of your best vocal performances yet. And a great story to boot!

bonesigh
04-14-2013, 06:47 AM
Enjoyed that one Barbablanca. Nice story too (:

Thanks for the kudos from my fellow seasonistas!

And....ooops, an over dub on my vid, I'd better read the rules carefully in the future. Duh.

krabbers
04-14-2013, 07:03 AM
some great entries this week i am trying to get through the list as we speak, well done everyone

mattydee
04-14-2013, 08:42 AM
And the host's song...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVmuaw0I0yM

My wife and I were active in the neo-swing scene in the mid-nineties. The Squirrel Nut Zippers were by far my favorite band at the time, and this song became ours pretty quickly. It was our first dance at our wedding a few years later.

(That's the prize uke in the background...)

chrimess
04-14-2013, 09:14 AM
Somehow could not comment to you on YT... I thought you brought an awesome rendition-somewhat surprisinng song choice, too!
some great entries this week i am trying to get through the list as we speak, well done everyone

ukuleledaveey
04-14-2013, 09:18 AM
howdy gang, the last couple of weeks and i have never been so busy !!!! trying to find times to make sure i continue to take part, this is a song we had played during our wedding ceremony, the original is a classic, and my version is certainly forgettable :) sorry for butchering this modern classic, great theme Matty .

http://youtu.be/iZuffUx9a8Q

decaturcomp
04-14-2013, 11:43 AM
We all need to help our partners sometimes.
We all need help from our partners sometimes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF1m5ko8Ew4

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
04-14-2013, 11:54 AM
Great Season, everyone! Looking forward to enjoying all the entries!! Thanks, mattydee!!!

Here's my go...

http://youtu.be/wVPNxSDMTCk

pabrizzer
04-14-2013, 12:27 PM

What a beautiful song - so well done. Very poignant.

But it becomes tragic when they forget the names of those they love(d) as well.

Music is becoming a real therapy for those who "forget".
Again - BEAUTIFULLY done.

pabrizzer
04-14-2013, 12:36 PM
Great Season, everyone! Looking forward to enjoying all the entries!! Thanks, mattydee!!!

Here's my go...

Gave me a bit of a scare - It was all good til the end - I was expecting your customary wave - and then I thought you were blowing ME a kiss - but it wasn't for me - phew.

Great job! I was wondering how the techno was going to convert to the uke.
I was kind of maybe expecting some spousal tap dancing. That would have made it even better!

wee_ginga_yin
04-14-2013, 12:41 PM
Last bonus from a previous a previous season. Had to post it after listening
to the Dutchman, since it has that that same nostalgic feeling of longing for
better times that have past.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP1aiAmdt6U

The Ukelites
04-14-2013, 12:51 PM
Hi Matty, sorry for not taking part this time. We have an "our song", but it was way too hard to do it justice, that's all.:rolleyes:
Nevertheless: LOVE THE THEME !

pabrizzer
04-14-2013, 01:05 PM

Yes. Sad and lovely. Those elderly folk should be playing ukulele. Then they would have something to talk about.

Hi Matty, sorry for not taking part this time. We have an "our song", but it was way too hard to do it justice, that's all.:rolleyes:
Nevertheless: LOVE THE THEME !
I find it hard to believe that anything is "too hard" for you guys to tackle musically.

PatriciaPDX
04-14-2013, 01:24 PM
Annnnnh, getting this in late in the season again, but it's been that kind of week. Nice theme, and everyone's entries are terrific! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ehZ-oZkw8s&feature=youtu.be

decaturcomp
04-14-2013, 03:24 PM
I guess I really did forget to bring a romantic song that Terri and I sang together when we first met in college. Here's one, Though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=338Ce76u1ZM

myrnaukelele
04-14-2013, 04:02 PM
Annnnnh, getting this in late in the season again, but it's been that kind of week. Nice theme, and everyone's entries are terrific! :D

Oh does this song ever bring back the memories! Nicely sung.

decaturcomp
04-14-2013, 04:26 PM
Beautiful. A really touching version of the song.

decaturcomp
04-14-2013, 04:37 PM
Loved this Daveey, lad. I'll take your version over many others I've heard. Great job. I like your vocals and playing (and percussion).

howdy gang, the last couple of weeks and i have never been so busy !!!! trying to find times to make sure i continue to take part, this is a song we had played during our wedding ceremony, the original is a classic, and my version is certainly forgettable :) sorry for butchering this modern classic, great theme Matty .

decaturcomp
04-14-2013, 04:48 PM
Solid, Jackson!!
That was the cat's earmuffs!

And the host's song...

My wife and I were active in the neo-swing scene in the mid-nineties. The Squirrel Nut Zippers were by far my favorite band at the time, and this song became ours pretty quickly. It was our first dance at our wedding a few years later.

(That's the prize uke in the background...)

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
04-14-2013, 05:43 PM
Found time to enjoy the entries playlist this evening---really great Season, everyone! Thanks, mattydee, for getting the love flowing this week, and thanks all for sharing your stories and your music. Viva las Seasonistas!

PatriciaPDX
04-14-2013, 08:28 PM
Oh does this song ever bring back the memories! Nicely sung.

Thanks so much, Myrna! :)

filipinouker
04-15-2013, 04:52 AM

I find it very hard to believe that there is a song out there that you can't do justice to. You guys are brilliant! 😍

mattydee
04-15-2013, 11:50 AM

http://youtu.be/iZuffUx9a8Q

Davey, I'm not sure what you're talking about... This was really great. Your voice and that Bari together are like butter, and you really made the song your own. This one is pretty special for my wife and I as well, so I'm glad it made an appearance in the seasons! And I'm glad you were able to carve out some time. It's just not the Seasons without Davey.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF1m5ko8Ew4

This was really lovely, Alan. I know I said this about the last video you posted, but I think this might be your best yet.

Here's my go...

http://youtu.be/wVPNxSDMTCk

The only thing that could have made this better was an animated Ralf in a spaceship behind you. But what an amazing arrangement of a soon to be modern classic. I salute you for rising to the challenge in a way that only you can, Ralf!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP1aiAmdt6U

This was really great, Rob. Haunting and perfect. I missed it the first time around, so I'm glad you posted it again...

This was great Patricia! You've got a great rich voice, and the simple strum on the uke made this a sweet little arrangement. Love all the Prom pictures we've seen this week!

I guess I really did forget to bring a romantic song that Terri and I sang together when we first met in college. Here's one, Though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=338Ce76u1ZM

Lovely. My wife put this on the first mix tape she made for me... A great tune, well played. But so, I'm not sure which of the many songs you posted this week you'd like to go on the official playlist, Alan... this one?

mattydee
04-15-2013, 11:51 AM
All right, so that's that then... Thank you all so much for bringing the love this week. Even when covered with cheese!

Double check to make sure you're in the right playlist, and I'll get the winner posted by the end of the week!

mattydee
04-18-2013, 07:44 AM
I've been going back and watching these again in order to sort out points. Everyone really gave their all this Season. The leader-board was really crowded at the top, and so it came down to intangibles. And there was one video this week that brought tears to my eyes from the first lyric and kept me crying tears of joy throughout, and it has in fact, done that every time I have watched it.

Denise (caukulele), thank you so much for pulling your husband into the Seasons for that absolutely gorgeous rendition of I Can't Help Falling In Love With You (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygOHLWa1kdE&list=PL7sm323xQS8yeUli5BSFx1CS7L9KDLWd_). This is what it is all about. Not just this Season, or The Seasons in general, or even playing ukulele, but what Life is all about. So, in order to give him an incentive to keep coming back, a shiny (pre-loved) Blue Dolphin will be on its way as soon as you PM me your address.

What a great week, Seasonistas! The ante keeps going up here every week. I cannot adequately express how incredibly proud I am to associate with you lot week in and week out. Thank you so very, very much.

GinnyT11
04-18-2013, 07:56 AM
Wow, Denise, congratulations! I agree with Mattydee that you deserve it!

SailQwest
04-18-2013, 08:03 AM
Congrats, Denise! Your video was so sweet and touching.

Kudos to all of the participants, and a special thanks to Mattydee for hosting this Season. Seasonistas are awesome!

Dougf
04-18-2013, 08:07 AM
Congrats, Denise and husband, have fun with that Dolphin. And thanks Matt for the fun theme.

caukulele
04-18-2013, 08:25 AM
Wow!!!! Thank you so much for your kind words!!! It was a great experience for me to do a song with my husband, and this was the perfect theme for us to give it a try. He will definitely be part of future seasons with me....

Barbablanca
04-18-2013, 08:31 AM
Worthy winners indeed! Well chosen Matt!

erivel
04-18-2013, 11:32 AM
Congrats Denise and to your husband too!

thesillydave
04-18-2013, 01:39 PM
congrats to denise & hubby! another fine example of the seasons!

elmann
04-19-2013, 12:54 AM
The winners were also my fav's, a very innermost, wonderful performance. Congrats!

mm stan
04-19-2013, 05:09 AM
Congrats to Denise and Ray....your William King concert sounds heavenly...and so are your voices....by the way your multitracking is amazing....and I am not forgetting Tia contribution :)

mm stan
04-19-2013, 05:14 AM

Great Job Pat...gave me chicken skin because we are about the same age....remember the song well....wow are you Mousie's sister?

chrimess
04-19-2013, 05:22 AM
well done, guys. Congrats.

Hippie Dribble
04-19-2013, 08:21 AM
super week Matty, superb choice for winners, thanks to all for the great songs and stories. :)

caukulele
04-19-2013, 08:53 AM
Congrats to Denise and Ray....your William King concert sounds heavenly...and so are your voices....by the way your multitracking is amazing....and I am not forgetting Tia contribution :)

Thanks Stan, but no multitracking on this song..just us.:D

barefootgypsy
04-19-2013, 01:03 PM
Congratulations Denise and Ray! Your rendition together was really beautiful, and stood out - most worthy winners!

myrnaukelele
04-20-2013, 04:33 PM
A well-deserved win! You two sang from the heart and it was lovely.:o
Thanks for a sweet Season mattydee - I loved hearing everyone's song.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
04-20-2013, 05:14 PM
Congratulations, Denise and Mr. Denise! In a week of excellent, heartfelt performances, your voices stood out from the rest. Amazing.

Perhaps Mr. Denise will want to learn to play the prize uke? Maybe someday we'll get to hear Denise and Mr. Denise strumming together as well? Please?

caukulele
04-21-2013, 05:40 AM
Congratulations, Denise and Mr. Denise! In a week of excellent, heartfelt performances, your voices stood out from the rest. Amazing.

Perhaps Mr. Denise will want to learn to play the prize uke? Maybe someday we'll get to hear Denise and Mr. Denise strumming together as well? Please?
Yes, I have been trying to get Mr. Denise (Ray) to play for quite awhile....maybe the lovely blue uke will be the key?...but even if he doesn't play Mr. Denise will be singing and harmonizing with me again... and so I am happy!!!!!

TCK
04-23-2013, 08:10 PM
I agree entirely- and love that video so much. Well chosen Matt, thanks for a great week!

Denise (caukulele), thank you so much for pulling your husband into the Seasons for that absolutely gorgeous rendition of I Can't Help Falling In Love With You (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygOHLWa1kdE&list=PL7sm323xQS8yeUli5BSFx1CS7L9KDLWd_). This is what it is all about. Not just this Season, or The Seasons in general, or even playing ukulele, but what Life is all about. So, in order to give him an incentive to keep coming back, a shiny (pre-loved) Blue Dolphin will be on its way as soon as you PM me your address.