60th Season Of The Ukulele: They're Playing Our Song

mattydee

Reaction score
It is April, Seasonistas, and here in the States, that means Prom. Millions of high schoolers across the nation are renting tuxedos and buying taffeta gowns, hiring limousines, and having the Time Of Their Lives at the dance.

Some of those high schoolers take their future spouse to that dance. Sometimes it's the one who got away. Sometimes they are staring longingly at that special someone from across a crowded room. But the one thing that binds them all is The Song. The song where you squeeze a little tighter, look a little harder, and always always remember. Or at least that's what happens in John Hughes movies.

And so, the Challenge: you gotta sing your song—that special song that means something to you and a significant other, past, present or future. Maybe you danced to it at your wedding, or heard it at the club where you met. Maybe someone put it on a mix tape for you. Maybe it was, in fact, the theme of your Junior Prom. Whatever it is, it is Your Song. If you're having trouble, it wants to be a song that you have an emotional attachment to, that makes you think of a special someone...

Judging will be done by me, and will be based on several criteria, including: singing, playing, technical elements (lighting, sound, costume, set), passion, and je nais se quoi.

Rules: Single continuous take, ukulele front and center. No multi-tracking, but filters and effects are okay. Please state somewhere in the video, written or spoken, that it's for the 60th Season. Repeats are fine. I'm curious to see if there are any.

Bonus tracks: I'll take them. Submit as many bonuses as you like that fit the theme (i.e: Let's say your official entry is the song you danced to at your wedding, so your bonuses can be the theme from prom, your favorite tune from a mix tape, etc...) You can earn bonus points in the following manner. 1 Bonus point will be awarded if you do a bonus song from a John Hughes film. 3 bonus points if that song is in fact your own song, and it is your only entry. (If this is the case, I'll want some back story, not only to corroborate, but also, because holy cow, that's awesome.)

Prize: A Blue Dolphin, set up by longtime Seasonista, Mr. OldePhart, himself. I won it way back in Season 11. It has brought me great joy, and now it's time for another Seasonista to enjoy it.

Timing: Entries will be accepted starting at Midnight Hawaiian tonight, and will stop being accepted at 11:59pm Hawaiian on April 14.

Playlists:
Official Entries
Bonus Entries

That is all, Seasonistas. Nostalgia awaits.

Last edited:
Here's a track to get you in the mood:

http://youtu.be/aoZhVTQFLqk

one of the first vids I posted.

I never had a prom, not sure what to do this week, thinking about some early mix tapes ...I do remember my first slow dance...hmmm

Well, this counts me out :)

I've never had an "our song" with anyone. I'm probably out for this week.

That shouldn't keep you from posting. It was so long ago I can't remember what songs were played at my proms (I actually went to three-miss popularity here lol!) and I've never really had an "our song" either. I'm just going to pick a popular song from 1971 (the year I graduated from high school).
What say you mattydee - can we simply pick a song that "might" have been played at the prom the year we graduated high school?

Last edited:
We have several candidates. Oh, what to choose. We only have one evening to record because I'm off to the UK this week. Visiting Cambridge with 100 pupils...

Music has such a hold on how I feel and how I remember things that I must have a hundred "our songs." Heck, I fall in love with complete strangers all the time, if the song playing in the background at whatever place was just right. It seems like I have an "our song" for all of my closest friends, former significant others, and for all of the most significant moments in my life.
When I first read the theme, I thought of my "high school sweetheart," and still one if my very best friends to this day. Our song was "Lady in Red" because it came on once and we made fun of it. Then it seemed like it was playing everywhere we went, including my high school room, when she and I went together. I haven't decided whether or not I want to torture you with my cover of that song yet. My daughter and I have a song too, "Uabkee Bayonety" by the Decemberists, because its the first song we played together when we both got our first ukes, almost two years ago. She won't do it with me though. I've already tried getting her to before. Just turned 9 and she's already too cool to be seen on video with her dad.
I have a sobering confession to make, however. While typing this and trying to pick a song, I realized that my wife (of almost 10 years) and I don't have a song. I have a song for everyone and everything, but she and I don't have one.
Anyway...... Happy thoughts!:)
I'm gonna have fun with this. I was getting ready to go to bed when I read this week's theme. Now, I'm wide awake again and can't wait to pick which "our song(s)" and get started!
Mattydee, I wanna apologize in advance in case I get carried away this week. Music is my everything. My heart rate is the bpm of whatever song I happen to be listening to at the time. "Music is my hot, hot sex."

Here is a tweet that the super-talented singer, songwriter, pianist, and (occasional) uker, Diane Birch posted today. I feel the same way and that's probably why I have so many "our songs."

"@dianebirch: being able to make music is such a gift. It's like having a super hot lover waiting naked in your bed for you when you get home"

Here is a tweet that the super-talented singer, songwriter, pianist, and (occasional) uker, Diane Birch posted today. I feel the same way and that's probably why I have so many "our songs."

"@dianebirch: being able to make music is such a gift. It's like having a super hot lover waiting naked in your bed for you when you get home"
whooaaa...I'm a comin over all sweaty like...I need a cold shower :shaka: this could be a heady week... :)

Asked my wife of 40 years if we have a song and we don't.
She does tell she will decide what she wants me to do but I am thinking of going with the first song I have hand written in my beat up old song book.

Here is an "our song" video that is particularly special to me. It is one of my dearest, longtime friends, Kristin, and I doing a uke cover of "Umbrella" by Rhianna. It started as a song we loved to make fun of, then we decided to act like "suburban gangstas" and make a uke cover video. This is one of the first things we played together after over a decade of planning to start our dream band and never having time (we both got married, became parents, and had to start acting like responsible adults, haha.) Now, we're finally playing and things are coming together very well. I've been in countless bands over the past 16+ years and have never been this excited about any musical venture. I recently finished building a studio just to record this album. When she finds out I posted this, I'm in big trouble! We made the mistake of hitting "record" before learning to play the song. That laptop is connected to a guitar tab site because we didn't know the lyrics or chords yet, haha!

Anyway, here is the real significance of this song- Kristin, just like me, is someone who feels "out of place" in normal social situations when most people would be completely comfortable. But we can lose ourselves in music, and everything is right with the world as long as the song is playing. Without music, I feel I'd have the emotional capacity of a rock and just sit alone and quiet every day. Some things in my life have hit a bit of a rough patch the past several months, but the time we spent working on music and playing (we refer to it as "therapy time") has been a real bright spot for me. She has helped keep the rain drops from "falling on my head" by doing these songs with me as fun distractions from reality. (side note: "Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head" is another cheesy pop song that got me through a rough patch 12-ish years ago.)
So, whenever I need a pick-me-up, I just watch this video and that is why this is our song.

Kristin has the finished version of that song on her youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdIWN3iBJOd9-HjWHyNj14g

Please go check out her page and leave comments encouraging her to join the seasonistas. I've had no luck talking her into it yet. She has a bunch of uke covers on there, as well as some original songs she wrote which we're currently working on full-set arrangements for.

Meanwhile, I'm gonna go get started on a few new videos for this week. Thanks again, Mattydee for a fantastic 60th season!

Asked my wife of 40 years if we have a song and we don't.
She does tell she will decide what she wants me to do....

pabrizzer, those two sentences ^ do an amazing job of describing the relationship dynamic of almost every marriage, EVER. In fact, they would make great lyrics to a country song!

OK I have gone with the first song in my song book. My book could be 35 years old - I really wish I had dated my entries. I don't "claim" songs but the fact that it was the first entry means I took some trouble to work out the chords and note down the lyrics and therefore it has some connection. At this stage it will be my entry - but this could change.
Marie by Randy Newman.

Oh boy - we have been married 40 years plus, and have a number of special songs, going back down the years..... I found the chords to one of them the other day and went down to Himself to serenade him with the uke - and I couldn't do it.... cracked me up. I wrote about it on my blog just a couple of days ago. Perhaps it's because I was singing TO him.... on my own up here, maybe. It's a great theme, love it..... I will do one, I will.....

Oh man...my prom song was by Styx...do I really want to learn that?

I really, REALLY want to hear you do Mr. Robato!

Man, I used to sing that song constantly. Very nice rendition.

OK I have gone with the first song in my song book. My book could be 35 years old - I really wish I had dated my entries. I don't "claim" songs but the fact that it was the first entry means I took some trouble to work out the chords and note down the lyrics and therefore it has some connection. At this stage it will be my entry - but this could change.
Marie by Randy Newman.

Marie by Randy Newman.
That was just gorgeous! Beautiful delivery of a beautiful song (i don't know this one...) ...... lovely picking, great voice.... you've got it all!

Top Bottom