Is There a Race to buy the best high end ukes possible now?

mm stan

Mystery Man
UU VIP
Reaction score
Lately I've noticed uke players today are much different than before and prefer quality premimum ukes to custom and are not too worried on prices...is it that we are more knowledgable now and have the financial resources or is there another reason...I have been watching some members buy one after the other in hopes to find their holy grail.
Okay this is my question, do you think luthiers today have risen to the highest point in their game? You know this is about the buying frenzy....hee hee
I know I am trying to hold back as much now, as what I have learned that luthiers no matter how good they are and on top of their game, they will continue to hone their skills....Should I be patient and wait further and get one then...because I see no room for redundancy in my financial situation...I believe I never would buy all my eggs at one time...:)

Last edited:
You should be able to answer that question yourself....Mr Moore Bettah Man!! ;)

BTW...I dare you to list all your ukes in your signature area. :)

If there is a race Stan, you're already in the lead with daylight second. :worship: Prices are only worrying if you can't afford to pay them.

But to answer the question, I think in all facets of our lives we learn as we live and continue to refine, not only our skills, but other things, like our character. For that reason I don't believe any builder would comfortably admit to being at the top of their game as they will always strive to improve. It's like saying "I've made it"; once you do that, it's all a downhill slide afterwards.

If there is...you've won!
And I'm not even in the starting gate....
I wouldn't even enter that race...just lemme keep my Kala...I'm soooo baroque! And I would NEVER go in debt for one, except to flip it at a fabulous profit!

If there is a race Stan, you're already in the lead with daylight second. :worship: Prices are only worrying if you can't afford to pay them.

But to answer the question, I think in all facets of our lives we learn as we live and continue to refine, not only our skills, but other things, like our character. For that reason I don't believe any builder would comfortably admit to being at the top of their game as they will always strive to improve. It's like saying "I've made it"; once you do that, it's all a downhill slide afterwards.

Well said Jon. No matter what your trade or craft, there is always more to learn and new heights to achieve.

..I believe I never would buy all my eggs at one time...:)
Correct. Especially since the chicken that lays them---the third wave of ukulele popularity--- is about to croak.

The high priced ukulele will be the next dodo bird.

Last edited:
I think people are falling more deeply in love with the ukulele.
People are learning that ukuleles are not just gimmick instruments at the level of Mahalo sopranos, but beautiful, intricate instruments capable of amazing things.

As with any instrument, people are willing to spend the extra money for desired quality.

I've come a long way from my first Mahalo uke. Last year I tasted Kamaka for the first time. I'm waiting for a Pono Pro-Classic to arrive from HMS as we speak!

I dont think people who buy quality stuff are buying recklessly. Most people who are buying are within their means and I believe have a true love for the ukulele. I bet if they weren't into ukulele but something else, their buying pattern would be the similar.

I dont think people who buy quality stuff are buying recklessly. Most people who are buying are within their means and I believe have a true love for the ukulele. I bet if they weren't into ukulele but something else, their buying pattern would be the similar.

Yes, I agree.

As usual Daniel you make a lot of sense..I saved money for gifts to myself on retirement..so glad to have found the Ukulele so glad..but if had not done so I would of used money for something else..

I think Stan started the thread to have fun with it..but it might turn into something else..maybe people trying to understand why they(me too) doing what they do..Btw it could be a good thing too!

Stan kind of getting back to your question..who are going to be building the great ukes for the 40 and under guys..you and me old so in twenty years who the builders that are going to take the place of the top ones now?

Daniel you and I up early huh?

Last edited:
As usual Daniel you make a lot of sense..I saved money for gifts to myself on retirement..so glad to have found the Ukulele so glad..but if had not done so I would of used money for something else..

I think Stan started the thread to have fun with it..but it might turn into something else..maybe people trying to understand why they(me too) doing what they do..Btw it could be a good thing too!

Daniel you up early for a Sunday

You and Stan up late, u guys should make zippys run. I am at at beach cottage right now and on a full size bed w wife and son since my son threw up on da other bed. loving playing uke on the porch but a little early and cold...nothing like Hawaii.

Definitely an arms race going on lately. Probably not my position to question how people spend their money, but it does make me wonder if it's always about a genuine passion for the ukulele and the willingness to get the most out of a top-notch instrument or if it's just about having the coolest, shiniest toy on the block. Considering how many super-high-end instruments end up in the marketplace with no playing time on them, it looks like it could go either way.

You and Stan up late, u guys should make zippys run. I am at at beach cottage right now and on a full size bed w wife and son since my son threw up on da other bed. loving playing uke on the porch but a little early and cold...nothing like Hawaii.

Daniel..sometimes I wake up and can not go back to sleep..if you see Richard say Happy Birthday for me..I know he said he was getting together with Pueo..

I love practicing early mornings too..my hands feel good and my mind more clear,now if I could only play better..Lol
have and nice Sunday bruddah..

Daniel..sometimes I wake up and can not go back to sleep..if you see Richard say Happy Birthday for me..I know he said he was getting together with Pueo..

I love practicing early mornings too..my hands feel good and my mind more clear,now if I could only play better..Lol
have and nice Sunday bruddah..

Haha...I saw Richard Thurs and Sat as I'm on his neck of da town. He one young looking guy.

Haha...I saw Richard Thurs and Sat as I'm on his neck of da town. He one young looking guy.

Nice you guys meet up,he one very nice person..maybe I see you guys all on Oahu one day at the same time..Ukulele festival in July coming soon..

who are the builders you and Richard going to be using in 20 years, I been thinking about this lately,cause I getting old I guess.. hehe

Last edited:
Nice you guys meet up,he one very nice person..maybe I see you guys all on Oahu one day at the same time..Ukulele festival in July coming soon..

who are the builders you and Richard going to be using in 20 years, I been thinking about this lately,cause I getting lol I guess.. hehe

I'm hoping da same ones but to be honest, there will be a new luthiers and as Stan is pointing out, there are quality production ukes these days.

I'm hoping da same ones but to be honest, there will be a new luthiers and as Stan is pointing out, there are quality production ukes these days.

I hope the great luthiers past their skills down to someone..but I don't think there is going to be anyone like Chuck again can you imagine how much detail he puts into his work,,crazy good!..

but hopefully the young luthiers are still here in 20 years and getting better as we speak..

fyi info no Zippy's but I had some pork Lau Lau from Young's Market for dinner

I'm curious to see which luthiers will be in the next class of holy-grail uke builders as well! Part of that equation is how the players respond, because that will determine if the luthier wants to stay in the uke world and keep improving, or jump ship.

I've been on the uke forums since 2006. The high end is blossoming - the third wave has produced a large population of ukers and that allows more people to move up to the level of playing that justifies a high-end uke. And the economy seems to have improved.

On the other hand people on the forums are far more tolerant of those who play cheap ukes. In 2007 I bought a $60 Lanikai and had to do a home set-up to make it play in tune. Three or four people mentored me but for every post they made there were two posts telling me to "Scrap that piece of junk and buy a $500 or $800 or $whatever uke." Today questions about uber-cheap ukes get mostly polite replies and the high-end aficionados either accept or ignore those posts.

Top Bottom