Question on "nut" placement / tuning.

jjdejd

Reaction score
Got a new uke the other day and I noticed the nut is off a little! I can feel the difference as well as see it. Do you think it will affect the tuning? Should I loosen the strings and fix it? I assume it slides into place. The uke is an Islander MST-4. Thanks.

"Off" in what direction? Sideways? Or is there a gap between the nut and the fretboard? Does the uke sound OK?

Most nuts are glued down but they can be removed safely. I have been told that some people do not glue them down and let string tension hold them in place but I have always glued mine.

Got a new uke the other day and I noticed the nut is off a little! I can feel the difference as well as see it. Do you think it will affect the tuning? Should I loosen the strings and fix it? I assume it slides into place. The uke is an Islander MST-4. Thanks.

You mean probally the saddle on the bridge probally..yes you can.....if you are talking about the nut, I'd call HMS first as the nut is glue in which might void the warranty.

You mean probally the saddle on the bridge probally..yes you can.....if you are talking about the nut, I'd call HMS first as the nut is glue in which might void the warranty.

It's the piece near the tuning gears. It's moved slightly to the right looking down on the neck. I can feel the edge on one end and a small gap on the other? I'm going to call HMS and inquire. Thanks.

The important thing is that the strings be pretty close to centered on the neck. If that is the case, then I would use some sandpaper or even an emery board for fingernails to work the part that hangs over down flush with the neck.

If the strings aren't centered on the neck, then see if a gentle tap on that overhanging part will move the nut.

John

The important thing is that the strings be pretty close to centered on the neck. If that is the case, then I would use some sandpaper or even an emery board for fingernails to work the part that hangs over down flush with the neck.

If the strings aren't centered on the neck, then see if a gentle tap on that overhanging part will move the nut.

John

All good advice. Or send it back.

I'd slacken off the strings and slide it back into place, then tune up. If you can't slide it with the strings slack, then it's probably been glued in incorrectly in which case I'd get a luthier to reset it for you (or send it back to the manufacturer).

Top Bottom