Lili Marleen - German version

The Ukelites

Reaction score
"Lili Marleen", written in 1915 by Hans Leip, is a German love song which became popular during World War II with soldiers of both sides. Lale Andersen sang it first, a very popoular (english) version is sung by Marlene Dietrich. (Mad)Steffen did the camera and art work. The song has a quite interesting history, check it out on Wikipedia.:)

This is the first song I was able to memorize. I love the yearning love of a soldier for a sweetheart.
It sounds MUCH better in German.

Nice visual effect from the set designer.

This is the first song I was able to memorize. I love the yearning love of a soldier for a sweetheart.
It sounds MUCH better in German.

Nice visual effect from the set designer.

Thanks! I like the German version more too. The English one is too "redlight". Lili is maybe just a girl he's longing for in the trench / or in his grave (both is possible in the German version). Thanks from the set designer too:D

Lovely work Mirriam, this one is a great fit for you. Terrific job behind the camera Steffen, loved it.

Thanks a lot Campbell! I very much appreciate the camera/art work, because I didn't want a design that looks military.

Your comment about Dietrich's performance being too "red light" is right on. It's how I always thought of the song. Really well done as usual.

Top Bottom