Beginner's trip to Sam Ash

Jim Hanks

Reaction score
I'm definitely still a uke noob. As you can see in my signature, I bought a Risa Concert thinking that was my size but it's feeling a little small now. I then got a baritone bargain that doesn't seem so bad. So I went to Sam Ash to give tenors another try. Here are some newbie impressions of what I saw:

1. Cordoba 20TM-CE - This really wasn't bad. It had a decent action, ok tone, good feel. Intonation wasn't great but not terrible - a little better than the bargain baritone. Considering what HMS said about always doing fret/action work on these, I was expecting worse. I didn't try it plugged in. With an HMS setup, this one might be worth getting. Definitely keeping this one "on the list"

2. Kala Archtop - Surprisingly, the tone wasn't that different than the Cordoba. Feel wasn't quite as good though. Hard to describe. String tension seemed quite a bit higher. Again, I didn't plug in. It wasn't "bad" exactly, just didn't grab me. It's $100 more than the Cordoba. Off the list. Probably pushes the Kala KA-TE off the list as well as for $32 more, I'm guessing the Cordoba is enough better.

3. Flea - they only had this one Flea and it needed some love. First, I had to tighten the friction tuners with my pocket multitool as they wouldn't hold tension, but I understand that's normal. I really didn't care for these tuners though. They were very sensitive. *Very* slight movements were needed to get it in tune. I guess you would get used to this but I think I would prefer geared tuners. I didn't mind the plastic fretboard. It was slighter wider than the others but felt OK. I definitely would want the tenor length though. Sound was not bad although I would still love to hear a mahogany top in person. Overall, I'd say a Fluke is still on the list.

4. Kala travel tenor - this was the only other tenor they had. I didn't pay much attention to it but it was neat - *very* thin body but still had decent volume. Fretboard/feel was on par with the Cordoba. Not enough to put it on the list.

I don't know if this helps anybody, but maybe it'll help me refer back to as I further narrow my tenor list. I would say the list is down to: Mainland Classic Mahogany, Riptide EUT-5NS, Luna High Tide, Kala solid 'hog, Moku SFT-86, the Cordoba, and Fluke.

Jim

Top Bottom