Votes: 4 8.5%
  • Tight and Consistent Curl

Votes: 20 42.6%
  • I don't care how it looks -- I only care about sound

Votes: 16 34.0%

• Total voters

Stevelele

Reaction score
There are so many different types of Koa--I thought I'd post a poll to see what type you guys like the most. Of course some of these options can be combined, so just vote on what is the most important to you or vote for multiple entries (this poll allows you to choose multiple categories--you are not limited to one).

Last edited:
Wow, those are some tough choices. I love Koa of all types, but I'd have a set that I like best, which is very blonde in color with really fine tight curl, and under finish will be a beautiful orange color. It actually looks lighter than most mahoganies, but oh that orange... I love it.
I'm not sure if that qualifies it as "white" or "blonde" though.

Last edited:
You can vote for more than one choice if there are multiple things you like best

Wow, those are some tough choices. I love Koa of all types, but I'd have a set that I like best, which is very blonde in color with really fine tight curl, and under finish will be a beautiful orange color. It actually looks lighter than most mahoganies, but oh that orange... I love it.

Yes, Blonde or White w/ tight curls would definitely do it for me. I remember seeing pink koa but looked more blonde or white to me...Instead of blonde, I like honey colored koa.

Last edited:
Almost any Koa good for me..but if I have the money tight curly reddish or blonde Koa..and i hope the builder can make it sound good for me.. someone told me Koa is the King for building Great Ukuleles which I agree..

Unfortunately for your poll (or, more accurately, for my ability to respond to it), there's some overlap among categories. If I like dark koa with some sort of curl, do I respond by selecting dark koa or the curl of my choice?

White Koa is pretty rare--in that photograph I attached, there is hardly any coloring in the white part. So I think if you're voting for white koa, you're voting for something very specific and rare--personally, I have only seen Eric Devine produce White Koa ukuleles of the sort I attached. At least that's how I intended to define it

I understand I can vote for both. I was asking how you were defining "white" vs. "blonde" or in other words - how are they different?

You can respond by selecting both, if you'd like. Or one if one is more important than the other to you.

Unfortunately for your poll (or, more accurately, for my ability to respond to it), there's some overlap among categories. If I like dark koa with some sort of curl, do I respond by selecting dark koa or the curl of my choice?

Everyone has there subjective personal preference, but this is my favorite. 5A fiddleback master grade koa.

972F7EB8-6F67-4EE9-B382-35F304C5746B-792-000001CE8C5966FC.jpg

Right now my personal favorite piece of Koa is this one!
R&LKoa.jpg
attachment.php

Hee Hee thanks! That ukulele is ALL koa, the neck, fretboard, bridge, everything. It was one of those that I saw in the store and played it and loved it but thought that I could not afford it. My wife saw how bummed out I was and told me to go back and buy it already. It sounds as good as it looks.

'Alala, Elepaio, Omao, Ou, Amakihi, Akepa, Apapane, Iiwi, and Io. :)
But as for the cut wood, I tend to like the darker and red with tight consistent curl, but the sound is definitely most important.

Top Bottom