Ukuleles sights in Spain and Portugal?

DeVineGuitars

Reaction score
I'm off to see the birthplace of the ukulele, Portugal.
I will be headed to Spain and Portugal in May and would love to get some recommendations on music related things to do and see. Luthier towns, Flamenco dancing, ect. We will be flying into Madrid and staying in the southern half of both countries.

If you are in the southern half, Andalusia region is where Flemenco guitars originated

Have fun Eric..be careful don't drink too much of the good kind wines they get.. haha

for real have fun bruddah..
weather should be nice and cool,the water looks nice out that way too..

Have fun and safe travels my friend................

Braga is the place to go in Portugal.

Aloha Eric!

Check out Jose Lopez Bellido. Great luthier. But most of these guys speak Spanish so you might want to get Rosetta Stone:)

Braga is the place to go in Portugal.

I'll be in Braga for two weeks in May, my third trip there (with Habitat Global Village). I know it's an important place as far as cavaquinhos, ukes and other stringed instruments go but I haven't figured out what to see in that regard (not that I have much free time). Do you have any recommendations.

In Lisbon, check out the music shop "Salao Musical" - they usually have a range of traditional instruments. They might be prepared to tell you where their suppliers are and if you can visit their workshops. They were a friendly bunch when I last passed through. They've got a small shop in the old town and a larger one in a dodgy suburb full of street crawlers, etc.

In Granada and Sevilla there are loads of backstreet luthiers. If your Spanish is up to it, they'll chat with you. But in Andalusian.... Be prepared. Think Glaswegian ;)

I went to Portugal a year ago. My favorite town was Porto--if you like Port wines, you'll be in paradise. And there were so many beautiful, old and interesting places to see.

The hotel Infantes Sagres is a magnificent place to stay, too, if you want something nice.

I'm off to see the birthplace of the ukulele, Portugal.
I will be headed to Spain and Portugal in May and would love to get some recommendations on music related things to do and see. Luthier towns, Flamenco dancing, ect. We will be flying into Madrid and staying in the southern half of both countries.

Top Bottom