Harmony vintage ukes...

UkerDanno

Reaction score
Which Harmony ukes are good and/or collectible? I bid a Roy Smeck last week, it was pretty nice, but went for about twice what I was willing to pay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1950s-60s-V...ade-Harmony-ChicagoW-Case-XLINT-/130879181942

I'm interested in Harmony because I owned a Harmony H22 bass back in the 60's. Thought about taking up bass a couple years ago and searched for one like I use to have and they were expensive! Nora Jones' bass player uses one like I use to have.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-Harmony-H22-Bass-/161002983497?pt=Guitar&hash=item257c869049

Also, what about Supertone? are they made by Harmony?

Your first link sold for $92 and you said twice what you were willing to pay, and the second link was over $1000.
The Harmony ukulele that has always caught my eye is the Roy Smeck Vita Uke. I wish I had bought one a number of years back when I had the opportunity before the uke craze inflated prices. I would still like one. Sometimes people will still get a good deal on one, and I think they are quite collectible.

Don't know how collectible they are but I have a 50's Harmony poplar with the painted on binding, and it plays and sounds pretty good in D tuning. It was given to me by a good friend so I don't ever plan to sell it. I also have a Roy Smeck that also plays quite nicely in C tuning. I think the laminate poplar on the Harmony really benefits from the higher tuning, it's a little muted in C. Mine both have the molded finger boards so they're probably not real collector items, but it doesn't bother me they're fun to play.

Your first link sold for $92 and you said twice what you were willing to pay, and the second link was over $1000.
The Harmony ukulele that has always caught my eye is the Roy Smeck Vita Uke. I wish I had bought one a number of years back when I had the opportunity before the uke craze inflated prices. I would still like one. Sometimes people will still get a good deal on one, and I think they are quite collectible.

here here! Those Vitas are pretty sweet.

is the Vita a special Roy Smeck edition? What about Supertones?

Is it just the name or the shape you want? Both? If that's what you want there is no reason to tell you of someone who had the opportunity to play a Harmony Smeck and a Marc Schoenberger Ukiyo Smeck. Both the player and the music store owner, who had them both on consignment , agreed the Ukiyo was better built and had better sound.

I'm assuming this is the Ukiyo Vita Smeck as mentioned above...
ukiyo vita.jpg

Nothing like a Harmony! And sell for $900! I do like the traditional shape and was just looking at something vintage and affordable for me that is still playable.

I had a pink plastic Maccaferri Uke with pink strings and pictures of the beatles on the front when I was a kid. I had no idea what it was, being 4 years old. I think I used it as a cricket bat. Please don't tell me what it'd be worth these days.

I'm assuming this is the Ukiyo Vita Smeck as mentioned above...
View attachment 51573

Nothing like a Harmony! And sell for $900! I do like the traditional shape and was just looking at something vintage and affordable for me that is still playable.

The one I was referring to was the original Harmony Roy Smeck Vita Uke not a ukiyo or ohana replica. I have seen some of the originals go for $300-400 if your timing is right, but yes, they can get quite pricey for originals.

I'm a self-proclaimed Harmony nut, and have a Harmony in each kind of instrument. I have both a '50's solid mahogany baritone and a '50's solid mahogany soprano with a wood fingerboard. Their mahogany ukes sound great. I love them both and wouldn't give either of them up. One criteria of mine with a Harmony uke is that it does NOT have the plastic fingerboard. I've always hated them.

Harmony instruments have more of a cult following, but I think they are great instruments.

Dan

Top Bottom