PDA

View Full Version : Harmony vintage ukes...

UkerDanno
04-08-2013, 01:58 PM
Which Harmony ukes are good and/or collectible? I bid a Roy Smeck last week, it was pretty nice, but went for about twice what I was willing to pay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1950s-60s-Vintage-Roy-Smeck-Ukulele-Made-Harmony-ChicagoW-Case-XLINT-/130879181942

I'm interested in Harmony because I owned a Harmony H22 bass back in the 60's. Thought about taking up bass a couple years ago and searched for one like I use to have and they were expensive! Nora Jones' bass player uses one like I use to have.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-Harmony-H22-Bass-/161002983497?pt=Guitar&hash=item257c869049

Also, what about Supertone? are they made by Harmony?

Newportlocal
04-08-2013, 02:11 PM
Your first link sold for $92 and you said twice what you were willing to pay, and the second link was over $1000.
The Harmony ukulele that has always caught my eye is the Roy Smeck Vita Uke. I wish I had bought one a number of years back when I had the opportunity before the uke craze inflated prices. I would still like one. Sometimes people will still get a good deal on one, and I think they are quite collectible.

kenikas
04-08-2013, 02:22 PM
Don't know how collectible they are but I have a 50's Harmony poplar with the painted on binding, and it plays and sounds pretty good in D tuning. It was given to me by a good friend so I don't ever plan to sell it. I also have a Roy Smeck that also plays quite nicely in C tuning. I think the laminate poplar on the Harmony really benefits from the higher tuning, it's a little muted in C. Mine both have the molded finger boards so they're probably not real collector items, but it doesn't bother me they're fun to play.

UKEonomics
04-08-2013, 04:50 PM
Your first link sold for $92 and you said twice what you were willing to pay, and the second link was over $1000.
The Harmony ukulele that has always caught my eye is the Roy Smeck Vita Uke. I wish I had bought one a number of years back when I had the opportunity before the uke craze inflated prices. I would still like one. Sometimes people will still get a good deal on one, and I think they are quite collectible.

here here! Those Vitas are pretty sweet.

UkerDanno
04-08-2013, 06:16 PM
is the Vita a special Roy Smeck edition? What about Supertones?

TheCraftedCow
04-08-2013, 08:30 PM
Is it just the name or the shape you want? Both? If that's what you want there is no reason to tell you of someone who had the opportunity to play a Harmony Smeck and a Marc Schoenberger Ukiyo Smeck. Both the player and the music store owner, who had them both on consignment , agreed the Ukiyo was better built and had better sound.

UkerDanno
04-09-2013, 03:56 AM
I'm assuming this is the Ukiyo Vita Smeck as mentioned above...

Nothing like a Harmony! And sell for $900! I do like the traditional shape and was just looking at something vintage and affordable for me that is still playable.

The Big Kahuna
04-09-2013, 04:04 AM
I had a pink plastic Maccaferri Uke with pink strings and pictures of the beatles on the front when I was a kid. I had no idea what it was, being 4 years old. I think I used it as a cricket bat. Please don't tell me what it'd be worth these days.

David Newton
04-09-2013, 05:13 AM
$92 for the Smeck with a plastic fretboard is about the limit, isn't it?
Now a Vita-Uke can be worth $900 depending on condition, and I mean "worth it" in the playing and sounding great way.

BlueLatitude
04-09-2013, 05:22 AM
I recently got a Harmony Vita uke and just love it. :)

Newportlocal
04-09-2013, 05:27 AM
I'm assuming this is the Ukiyo Vita Smeck as mentioned above...

Nothing like a Harmony! And sell for $900! I do like the traditional shape and was just looking at something vintage and affordable for me that is still playable.

The one I was referring to was the original Harmony Roy Smeck Vita Uke not a ukiyo or ohana replica. I have seen some of the originals go for $300-400 if your timing is right, but yes, they can get quite pricey for originals.

Newportlocal
04-09-2013, 05:29 AM
I recently got a Harmony Vita uke and just love it. :)

Congratulations!!

dhoenisch
04-09-2013, 07:10 AM
I'm a self-proclaimed Harmony nut, and have a Harmony in each kind of instrument. I have both a '50's solid mahogany baritone and a '50's solid mahogany soprano with a wood fingerboard. Their mahogany ukes sound great. I love them both and wouldn't give either of them up. One criteria of mine with a Harmony uke is that it does NOT have the plastic fingerboard. I've always hated them.

Harmony instruments have more of a cult following, but I think they are great instruments.

Dan