Humidifiers - where in the case?

Katz-in-Boots

Reaction score
I have the "Herco" clay humidifiers that I keep in my cases. I used to put them under the head area but don't like the way they roll around & bang into the pegs when I take the case out somewhere, so have put them in the accessory compartments.

Can they do their job of humidifying properly if shut in the accessory compartment?

Thank you for asking this question Katz. To me, it doesn't seem logical that if it's locked away in the little compartment case, that it would work as effectively as being out in the "open" under the head.
But thanks kenikas for the info!

The humidifier in the accessory compartment will do a good job of humidifying- the accessory compartment.

The small plastic humidifier won't do any damage rattling around in the case but if it bothers you that much glue a piece of the hook side of velcro to it.

A humidifier anywhere in the case will work just fine, it may take a little longer for the humidity to stabilize with it in the accessory compartment but it works just fine. I check mine with individual hygrometers in each case and have found it really doesn't matter where you put it in the case, just how consistently you service it.

I just got my first solid wood Ukulele and it came with a humidifier. What does servicing mean? I hate to admit it but didn't know what I was supposed to do with it. I have just left it in the case right where HMS put it. Thanks

I just got my first solid wood Ukulele and it came with a humidifier. What does servicing mean? I hate to admit it but didn't know what I was supposed to do with it. I have just left it in the case right where HMS put it. Thanks
I kind of depends on what type you have, but servicing is just replenishing the water in it. If its a Herco you can just soak it in distilled water for 10 minutes or so, (usually once a week up here in the high desert.) Be sure there's no standing water inside and wipe down the outside before putting it back in the case.

Thanks, I did do that because I read the directions, I thought it maybe service was something more elaborate. Another question, I live on an island off the coast of Florida and its really humid here, could it be to humid for my new Uke? Thanks for taking the time for these simple questions. I appreciate it.

What Kayak Jim said. Velcro. Get a stip of the hooks with self adhesive backing. Stick it to your humidifier and stick your humidifier to the fuzzy lining.

Thanks, I did do that because I read the directions, I thought it maybe service was something more elaborate. Another question, I live on an island off the coast of Florida and its really humid here, could it be to humid for my new Uke? Thanks for taking the time for these simple questions. I appreciate it.

Interesting question. I moved to florida relatively recently from the desert, so I'm more used to dealing with low-humidity. Someone will have to verify me on this, but doesn't central AC/heating drop humidity in an apartment/house? I know in the winters in Utah it would get so soo dry indoors from the heater that it genuinely would hurt (my eyes just always felt so scratchy in the winter).

Though at the end of the day, it never hurts to get a hygrometer and just keep on the eye on the humidity.

Top Bottom