New Vintage Uke Day, Baritone edition

Tigeralum2001

Reaction score
So I finally joined the Baritone revolution with the purchase of a very clean 1960s (I think 60s) Martin. It had what could have been the original strings on it and cob webs inside the sound hole, so it has been neglected for quite some time! No cracks or nicks noted; a couple of very minor dings-- it is 50+ years old, it is not 100% mint, but it is very close! I have a sweet 1940s Martin tenor and I think this one is in better shape.

I did make one mistake, though. I didn't want to think that "C" is now "D", etc. so I opted for Aquila GCEA Baritone strings. Well, to my surprise (or lack of research) these are a high G set of strings. Even though I have never played a Baritone, it just doesn't sound right tuned with a high G. I will be changing the strings shortly. I am not typically a string aficionado (I play them until they need to be changed), but this is mind freaking me, so I will be looking into other options. Anyone have suggestions?
IMG_1503.jpgIMG_1500.jpg

Last edited:
Mainland sells a low G Guadalupe custom baritone GCEA set. I bought two sets, but haven't put them on yet, so I can't address the sound. Nice uke!

:biglaugh:

Sell three; buy two.

. . . at least you're parring down :)

Nice score!!

Aloha Bruddah CJ,
Nice score, congrats. Never tried re-entrant on Baris, like the original tunings for the deep harmonics, also better for my voice range.
Enjoy it......................Bo................

:biglaugh:

Sell three; buy two.

. . . at least you're parring down :)

Nice score!!
I've got two things to say about that:
1. I'd like to have 4 sold... so if anyone is interested in a Kanile'a 6-string, please see the Marketplace ad.
2. I have to agree with Len. He says "vintage ukes don't count." Therefore, I only own 5... :)

Aloha Bruddah CJ,
Nice score, congrats. Never tried re-entrant on Baris, like the original tunings for the deep harmonics, also better for my voice range.
Enjoy it......................Bo................

I have to agree, Bo. I think I will be stopping by Ukulele Source to pick up some DGBE, traditional tuning. Maybe I'll make myself a cheat-sheet for the new chord shape names...

I've got two things to say about that:
1. I'd like to have 4 sold... so if anyone is interested in a Kanile'a 6-string, please see the Marketplace ad.
2. I have to agree with Len. He says "vintage ukes don't count." Therefore, I only own 5... :)

snip

You, Len and Mark should NEVER use each other as the voice of reason :)

Beautiful looking Martin CJ. A keeper for sure. Congrats!!

Congrats on the Martin Baritone. I love the neck and low action on mine. IMO, the baris are not intended for a high 4th string esp. in the key of C. I know the hi G tuning very popular.The C tuning really takes away the true Martin deep sound IMO though I have mine in C with my Webber in G. Going to try the new Aquila Reds on the Webber tomorrow.

I hated what a linear C tuning sounded like on my Martin til I tried the Cuatro C tuning. Didn't like the low 1st A string so had the forethought of having Dirk from Southcoast send me a regular A string. Made all the difference in the sound. If I didn't have a second, well third bari. I would never put it in a linear C tuning esp. a hi C tuning. It makes it sound like a whimpy Baritone rather than the lion the Martin bari is. The Aquilas didn't do it for me on my Martin though they sound great on the Webber (G tuning). I hope these new Aquila Reds in G sound as good. Kind of have my fingers crossed after reading the thread on the Reds string breaking.

According to Dirks tips on his Southcoast stie, the baritone resonance is best at Bb. ML-RW's for a linear Bb. I had those on my Martin and will be changing back to them. A wonderful full sound. If I want to play in C, I just put a capo on the second fret or use a d shaped chord to make a C.

That is a stunner for sure. That neck is going to spoil you lol. If there's no serial number nor Made in USA Martin Stamp inside, its a 60-62. If there's just a Martin Stamp with no serial number, it's a'63. I'm not certain but I think they started putting both the stamp and the serial number in '64 or a bit later.

Last edited:
That is a stunner for sure. That neck is going to spoil you lol. If there's no serial number nor Made in USA Martin Stamp inside, its a 60-62. If there's just a Martin Stamp with no serial number, it's a'63. I'm not certain but I think they started putting both the stamp and the serial number in '64 or a bit later.
Thanks for the info, Patrick! I do see the "Made in the USA" stamp, but I don't see a serial number. Where would that be found? Perhaps a '63 then, eh?

I read Dirk's website about the Bb tuning. I may try it out. My "problem" is I play with groups of people and if I put a non-C tuning on the bari, I will have to think too much when playing a song. Maybe it just takes practice. Maybe I do a Bb tuning and capo it... I have to try something, and the first thing is to get rid of re-entrant C tuned strings!

The serial number is stamped inside where the body joins the neck. That Bb will really make it sound like a bari ought too. For me, it depends on the song whether I put a capo on or use a different chord shape. The Southcoast round wounds are my favorite strings for my tenors and Bb(C) tuning.

Will put up a review of the reds in G once I get them on.

Congrats CJ....another uke..wow man you are on a roll....I like to stay in DGBE Strings dropped tuned.....Yes way to go to have a martin in your collection...happy strummings

Wow CJ, great score! I love Southcoast strings on my three Baritones and I have them tuned linear Bb, linear G, and re-entrant G.

Glen Rose of Jazzy Ukulele tunes his baritones to linear C (low G) and it sounds great so you should try that first and see how you like it and then pick up more baritones for the other tunings.

Have fun!

Don

P.S. My friend from KC Ukesters has a 50s Harmony Baritone in Mahogany like mine in mint condition with Brazilian Rosewood fretboard and bridge and original chipboard case on sale for $300 if you're interested.

Last edited:
You, Len and Mark should NEVER use each other as the voice of reason :)

Haha
I have changed my ways..I am happy with my ukes on order..no more new ones for me
but I still a string junkie

nice uke..again vintage ukes don't count buy as many as you want...Haha

Nice pick up CJ. That should really round out your collection. I would love to pick up a vintage Martin tenor.

Top Bottom