Looking for thin fretboard blanks

coitmusic

Reaction score
I'm looking to replace the styron fretboards on a few old Harmony ukes with a wooden one of a similar thickness (thin, 1/8" or less) but I don't have a thickness sander. I have a couple nice planes, but my skills aren't up to snuff right now and I'm having a hard time keeping things flat at that thickess. Can anyone point me to a source for thinner stock? Most of what I see out there is 1/4" or so.

Or...if any builders here have something on hand or could give me a quote for 4 soprano blanks , I'd appreciate it. I'm not looking for high quality rosewood or ebony or anything. Alternate woods, lower grades or stuff you want to get rid of will be just fine for this project. I'll be slotting it myself for the short 13" scale length.

Thanks,
Chester

Check out the hobby woods at Woodcraft or Rockler. They sell 1/8" x 3" x 24" boards in many woods. You can find a nice fretboard....but I recommend going to the store in person. The boards vary alot in quality
They're usually a hair over 1/8" thick but you can just sand them down the last few thousandths with a flat block. Much closer to what you want than 1/4"

Thanks! I had not thought of them as the closest store is about an hour away, but I'll be in that area later this week so i might be able to swing by.
Chester

Top Bottom