Help! Imua or not to Imua?

Mattyukaholic

Reaction score
Hi UUers!!

Can anyone help me with their thoughts on the new Imua ukes? I read MIM's NAMM write up but haven't heard much more. Are they up there with the K brands?

I'm looking to round off my soprano collection (I've found that's the size for me.) I'm trying to decide between a figured Koa Loprinzi and an Imua. Can anyone offer me an insight? I played a lot of ukes yesterday at a store and got my Kiwaya, but really want a koa too and want something other than a K brand.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt

Last edited:
Loprinzi, for sure. Imua has a lot of enthusiasm, but they are not at that level yet. I have no doubt they will be one day.

I played a tenor at The Ukulele Site(aka HMS) and it sounded nice..the price a little less than the K brands..fit and finish was good..
MGM says they only make about 20 ukes a month..i guess this a good thing? but I see nothing wrong with them..

but how come you don't want to stick with the K brands?

LoPrinzi is a great choice and they are a good value for the money. Nearly bought a mahogany soprano, but it had a twisted neck--back it had to go. The build quality was just amazing. The neck thing--really could happen to any builder. I'm sure it didn't leave the shop that way.

But I have to say I am curious why no K brands?

Thanks guys. I'm not discounting K brands at all - it's just I wanted something different. I've got Koaloha and a Kamaka. I had a Kanile'a but didn't get on with it - I found it a tad muted and the neck on those are quite wide.

Out of interest though - would you take a new Kamaka HF1 over those?
Hard to say without playing them. IMHO and experience, Kamakas are hit or miss with sound, so I have a firm "play it first" rule with them. KoAloha, on the other hand, all sound so similar. It is strange how consistent they are (even the KoAlanas sound like KoAlohas).

Yeah I know what you mean. I love my Koaloha. It's a bit old and dinged but sounds great. I tried some new Koalohas yesterday long neck and normal and they all sounded the same as mine.

i actually live next to imuas factory, one day im gonna check out there showroom (maybe today if they answer there phone) and sample some of there ukes and ill let you know. i have no doubt there really well made but they just dont have the popularity as the Kbrand name as of yet i think. so if you do get one maybe do a review of it for us :).

never played a loprinza but want one for some reason. heard good things about them.
if you want something different maybe this http://www.dreamukes.com/2013/01/2012-maestro-island-series-cedarpheasant-wood-concert/, ive been eye balling this for awhile but waiting on my koaloaha sceptre being build at this moment first.

Hard to say without playing them. IMHO and experience, Kamakas are hit or miss with sound, so I have a firm "play it first" rule with them. KoAloha, on the other hand, all sound so similar. It is strange how consistent they are (even the KoAlanas sound like KoAlohas).

yeah i thought the Koalanas was an awesome deal being so close in sound to there $1000 koalohas. one thing about koalohas is that they used to be nicked named the buzzing ukulele. even consistent they still have ones that buzzes alot.

Imua Means to go forward....he he I know you live in London and far from having many Hawaiian brands there to choose from, call HMS and let them play it for you on the phone..
it's the only way for you to go.....good luck

I see Imua ukes on Mim's site and one on Uke Republic's but none on HMS. Nice looking instruments, simple lines and beautiful koa. Definitely on my short list of ones to play when I'm ready for a step up.

...one day im gonna check out there showroom (maybe today if they answer there phone) and sample some of there ukes and ill let you know. i have no doubt there really well made but they just dont have the popularity as the Kbrand name as of yet i think.

Aloha! Sorry, we do have a hard time answering phones in the afternoons... we are too busy in the shop! no, that really is not a good excuse and I am working on that issue. But you are very welcome to stop by the factory! We don't have a showroom, just the factory and ukuleles being made.

It's so interesting to hear, as I have always heard, good as all the "K" brands... well, we specifically decided not to pick a K so we could stand alone- better or for worse (hopefully better). So maybe in another year I can start reading, all the K brands AND the Imua or just i would be recognition enough.

By the way, we are producing more than 60+ per month with a team of 4 builders- growing steadily, employing more and never compromising on quality. In fact we are hiring again! Ad is on craigslist now and I am doing interviews. We are looking for staff for an apprentice position. We love those who are passionate about all things ukulele!

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/trd/4016648065.html

Aloha,
Jorma Winkler
www.imua-ukulele.com

wow that's so cool. I wish I could work there, and I would actually work for free to gain experience. I live near by as well :) and have built couple ukuleles

Aloha! Sorry, we do have a hard time answering phones in the afternoons... we are too busy in the shop! no, that really is not a good excuse and I am working on that issue. But you are very welcome to stop by the factory! We don't have a showroom, just the factory and ukuleles being made.

It's so interesting to hear, as I have always heard, good as all the "K" brands... well, we specifically decided not to pick a K so we could stand alone- better or for worse (hopefully better). So maybe in another year I can start reading, all the K brands AND the Imua or just i would be recognition enough.

By the way, we are producing more than 60+ per month with a team of 4 builders- growing steadily, employing more and never compromising on quality. In fact we are hiring again! Ad is on craigslist now and I am doing interviews. We are looking for staff for an apprentice position. We love those who are passionate about all things ukulele!

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/trd/4016648065.html

Aloha,
Jorma Winkler
www.imua-ukulele.com

Top Bottom