Kids Ukes? Where to buy a dolphin?

Ukejungle

Reaction score
My 2 kids ( 4 and 7 ) want to start

playing. I've heard about the dolphins Ukes. Where would you suggest buying them? I've been to 2 stores without any luck finding them. Thought I'd get them online from a recommendation from UU forum.
Thanks

Trey

I agree with the above post.

I bought one for less on Amazon when I first started. But it needed new strings and setup work. Had I known then what I know now, I would have spent a few extra $$$ to get it from one of the folks mentioned above or another of the uke dealers praised on this forum

Yep, try Uke Republic first, with the North Carolina Ukulele Academy as the backup, but, again if ordering from the NCUA, don't forget the Aquila strings (unless you have other string plans).

I bought one for less on Amazon when I first started. But it needed new strings and setup work. Had I known then what I know now, I would have spent a few extra $$$ to get it from one of the folks mentioned above or another of the uke dealers praised on this forum

Ditto, 100%. Bought mine on Amazon, too. I was fortunate that my Dolphin is very playable, but I can tell (now) where a good set-up would have made a huge difference.

Try calling Mike at Uke Republic and see if he can get you a Dolphin in the color you want.

I've bought 2 from Mim's Ukes, both with Aquilas. She's had both the colors I wanted in stock. My recipients received them quickly, and they love them.

Yep, can't stress it enough. A lot of people think, "ahh, they're just kids, they're just going to bang on it anyway." Having raised three kids and having more grandkids than I can count on my fingers I can say that's often true. But, for that one exceptional kid, it's well worth making sure they have a uke that plays easily and will actually train their ears properly.

One of my grandsons is twelve, I got him his first instrument, a ukulele, about three years ago. He now plays uke better than I do, and mandolin, and is making noises about guitar and banjo. He often sits in with adult players and is completely at home doing so - often surprising much older players with his ability to pick up on what they are playing and play by ear. I have one picture his dad sent - he is on stage with a semi-pro bluegrass gospel band. They all have music stands in front of them and he is ignoring the charts and playing mandolin by ear.

Now, I'm sure innate talent had a lot to do with it - but there is simply no denying that getting a good start on a well-intonated instrument didn't hurt!

John

Last edited:
For what it is worth I agree with John - it is easier to learn on a good instrument. I recently got my daughter a flea - it's not even close to the price of a dolphin, but the intonation and action can't be beat, and its pretty near bombproof. If you pick up a used one you could probably turn it over for what you put into it if the kid doesn't take to it.

Top Bottom