PDA

View Full Version : There goes my first and ONLY ukulele...

BboyEmperor
12-21-2008, 04:39 PM
It was on Friday, the LAST DAY OF SCHOOL.

I brought my ukulele to school to celebrate the last day of school before winter break. I was hoping Friday would be a nice and relaxing day...but NO. When fifth period came, which was P.E., i had no choice but to put my ukulele in my locker. I can't leave it with the teacher because they're jerks and they won't and I can't bring it out since they forbid it and someone might just take it while we're doing an activity.

So I leave it in my locker, about 20 minutes later I come back to dress back into my regular clothes. I walked in, walked towards my locker, opened it up, and it was gone...
I was freaking out so bad that before I even got dressed I ran through the whole locker room to see if someone had it or was hiding it. No luck.

So I was panting and the bell rang so I had no choice to get dressed quickly and head on to sixth period. But, before I did that, I told the teachers. They said "Sorry Levis, we can't do anything, we aren't responsible for it." Flippin' ROAR.

So I head on to my sixth period and tell all my friends in that class and everyone that sits in my table. All they could do is cuss as if the person that took it was right in front of them.

This is so sad. That was my first ukulele, ever, and my only one. I got it for my birthday, which was on November 30th. Only 19 days old and it's GONE.
I was about to cry in my sixth period class...

Well, I couldn't do anything and when I went home all my parents could do was lecture me about saying stuff like "That's what you get for taking your ukulele to school" Wow. Thanks parents, that really helps me feel better.

I just wanted to sit around and cry and punch a hole in the wall pretending it was the thief's face.

So I have nothing. My first and only ukulele is gone. Only 19 days old. Goodbye Phoenix (That's what I named her[My ukulele]) :(:(:(

- Levis

BboyEmperor
12-21-2008, 04:54 PM
Oh and, what do you guys suggest I do? I have no money at the moment and my parents would bother me because they just got me this for my birthday...21 days ago.

JKoval
12-21-2008, 05:06 PM
The title sounds AWFULLY similiar to mine. Dude.

-Jeff

Plainsong
12-21-2008, 05:12 PM
Well, it is kinda what you get for taking something valuable to school. You shouldn't take something you care about so much unless you have a spare "beater" to take instead. I hate to say the 'rents were right, but they were.

But I also have to call a spade a spade and say that the PE teacher was a real @sshat. I'd probably have a serious talk with him about that, but you don't really sound like you could have that talk yet. You have to be calm, concise, polite, and very firm that he has a role to play in the fact that it's not safe to bring anything to school. He's a teacher, he's an adult, he has a role to play there.

And the thing that hurts the most is that those friends know who took it. And whoever took it doesn't know or care what a uke is, and they probably just trashed it.

There's nothing for it but to earn some money and replace it. Live and learn. I'm sorry for your bad luck though. Even if it wasn't the brightest thing to take the uke to school, that doesn't mean it's the victim's fault for being robbed.

/assuming the story is true of course. I mean I know how I was in HS and I would have handled the situation a lot differently, as would most anyone with some sense.

Misguided Musician
12-21-2008, 05:19 PM
Mann I really feel for you. PE is the worst enemy for a Ukulele. I brought mine out to PE, fearing that it would get stolen. The dumb luck that I had, it got hit by a basketball and split at the neck. I suggest that you hope and pray that it turns up or save up.Mann if I still had my soprano, I would've definitely gave it to you man.

Jack
12-21-2008, 05:25 PM
Well, it is kinda what you get for taking something valuable to school. You shouldn't take something you care about so much unless you have a spare "beater" to take instead. I hate to say the 'rents were right, but they were.

But I also have to call a spade a spade and say that the PE teacher was a real @sshat. I'd probably have a serious talk with him about that, but you don't really sound like you could have that talk yet. You have to be calm, concise, polite, and very firm that he has a role to play in the fact that it's not safe to bring anything to school. He's a teacher, he's an adult, he has a role to play there.

And the thing that hurts the most is that those friends know who took it. And whoever took it doesn't know or care what a uke is, and they probably just trashed it.

There's nothing for it but to earn some money and replace it. Live and learn. I'm sorry for your bad luck though. Even if it wasn't the brightest thing to take the uke to school, that doesn't mean it's the victim's fault for being robbed.

/assuming the story is true of course. I mean I know how I was in HS and I would have handled the situation a lot differently, as would most anyone with some sense.
Those are some harsh words at the end there plainsong.

But dude you just gotta hang in there. I was on the basketball team and i brought my shorts to school for a game. I forgot to bring my pe shorts so i threw on my basketball shorts. I came back, changed, put my shorts on top of my bag, went to go to the showers, and i came back with my shorts not there.

A week later, it shows up in the lost and found.

So maybe someone saw your uke, thought someone misplaced it, and put it in the main office. Just keep checking when you get back. If you're absolutly sure it's gone, get a new one, by a uke case, then write "Anyone who touches this case instantly dies of a incredibly rare and painful disease. Except I can touch it. I am immune."

good luck =D

Plainsong
12-21-2008, 05:29 PM
It's harsh, but from what I've been reading, there's been some concern lately of folks taking advantage of the kindness of some (one) of the community ukesters.

I mean no offense. Someone being honest has no offense to take. I'll assume it's true and say that was a tough life lesson. Regarding handling it differently, maybe we were just more mature in my day, but yeah, I and any friend of mine would have handled that a heck of a lot differently. The teacher does have his role to play in the safety of his class. The OP has a role in deciding to take the risk.

Jack
12-21-2008, 05:38 PM
That's great. I'm glad you would've handled it differently. Of course, if it's launching a super investigation while sending your secret ninja assassins, I must say, you'd probably get that uke back. ;) But out of "kindness", he did what he could do. Who got taken advantaged of?

haole
12-21-2008, 05:42 PM
I'm sorry to hear that. :( Some people are pretty low. But don't lockers have locks? :confused:

BboyEmperor
12-21-2008, 05:51 PM
The title sounds AWFULLY similiar to mine. Dude.

-Jeff

I just read yours and wow...that sucks :/ I should have read yours before posting mine...and hopefully changing the title. Sorry about that....

Plainsong, I guess you're right...I gotta be careful on what I bring to school now...I mean it was the last day of school and barely anyone dressed and went in the locker room. But then again my school does have a bad reputation, thanks to all of these "gangsters" and what not. I guess all I can do is wait until I'm old enough to get a working permit or find a job that would hire me at this age and get enough money to buy myself an ukulele...

Misguided Musician, I feel bad for you too...knowing that happened... I can't really tell which one is worse. Getting it stolen or actually seeing it get destroyed...

Jack, I'll make sure to continuously go to the main office and the P.E. office. I hope it's there...

Plainsong again, I haven't been on the forums a lot lately so I can't tell what you're talking about. Then I started reading the other threads on the forums. Now I know what you mean. Wow, I feel as though I should have left this story with my friends in the real world and not complain about it online.

Sorry guys. Shouldn't have complained...

EDIT: Oh and haole, I did have a lock. It was closed and every time I leave the locker room I triple check the lock to make sure and my friend checked it too (he shares lockers with me)

And it couldn't have been him since we left the locker room at the same time and neither of us went back and when we came back to dress I came in before him.

Plainsong
12-21-2008, 05:58 PM
That's great. I'm glad you would've handled it differently. Of course, if it's launching a super investigation while sending your secret ninja assassins, I must say, you'd probably get that uke back. ;) But out of "kindness", he did what he could do. Who got taken advantaged of?

How I would have handled it is to sit down with the PE teacher after class in the office. Eye-to-eye, face-to-face say that I understood all of the disclaimers about valuable stuff at school, blah blah blah. However, it's not an unreasonable request to keep something backpack sized in the office, and this isn't a 10,000 Rolex, but a musical instrument that's priced about the same as a starter band trumpet or clarinet or something, something not unreasonable to have at school.

The thing is not to be a whiney little teenager, but by 15 you should know that the whiney voice gets you nowhere anyway.

If the teacher blew off his own role in the safety of stuff in his class, then I'd take it higher. Yeah, I was on good terms with the principles. Most of us goody-goodies were.

And if I went home and said it was stolen, I could expect to be frakking grounded, and I'd have to pay my parents back, and I'd be on my own buying my next uke. On top of the humiliation of realizing that my friends weren't my friends, of feeling violated, of being to not trust some crap teacher only in the job for the vacations, I'd get yelled at and grounded.

So no secret ninja tricks, just mature frank confrontation. I'd done it before, but in order for it to work, you can't be one of these who is always whining to the teachers. High school is preparation for college, and in college, you will have to confront and deal with professors who make no secret of their biases.

It's all a moot point now for the OP, but it is a hard hard life lesson. I'm dealing out harsh words, but I'm not unsympathetic. It does suck, but this too will pass.

Plainsong
12-21-2008, 06:04 PM
Ah, don't sweat it. It was just the low post count and some of the conspiracy theories lately. Not your fault. :)

It does suck though. And you have to appreciate the whole teacher doing his job *cough* thing. ;)

Certainly you could earn money some way? What about allowance for chores? You could have 60 bucks for a Makala in no time. I know it's not as sexy as the Kala but it should be safe to take outside, and I was mightily impressed with the one I got my mother-in-law.

BboyEmperor
12-21-2008, 06:11 PM
Hey Plainsong, I'm glad you're giving your thoughts on how I should act and what you would do, but the thing is I'm not you, and the teachers here can give a rat's you-know-what about what really goes on within the classes.

I didn't mean to sound like I was whining and complaining like a 3-year-old, I just needed some way to express how I felt but it seems as though just that is too much here.

I know it's all preparation for college, but when you think about it, it's not really the same. Yeah I know what you're thinking. "The teachers won't give a rat's ---? Well guess what, you think they do in College?" And no, I don't. I know no one's here to baby sit any of the kids at my school.

I know all this is preparation, I know I need to learn to shut up, I know I should learn to deal with things in a much better and more mature way, but I guess all these experiences are helping me achieve that goal.

And yes, I do realize that by 15 I know that whining gets me nowhere. But what am I to do? Hire an investigation party to search for each little fingerprint and detail to find who did it?

If I ever bring anything valuable or meaningful to me to school I'll go straight into the teacher's office to hold whatever it is I bring. If they say no I'll use what you said against them. Explain how this small things takes up not much space and won't be a bother to them in wherever place within the office. But I guess the only thing valuable I can take to school from now on is my phone. And it's going to stay like that for a long time. And if/when I do get another ukulele, I'm going to leave it at home, but if I somehow take it to school, I'll make sure that the teacher holds it for me and if I have to I'll mention what happened recently.

On one side I'm feeling terrible from your words, but on the other I feel as though you're teaching me a life lesson.

Thank you.

BboyEmperor
12-21-2008, 06:14 PM
And I don't get money for chores. My siblings and I do them whenever we want/need to, but we never get paid for it. It's just like a tradition I guess. My parents are from another country and within their family tradition, they didn't get paid for doing chores for their parents.

My siblings and I just do them, without asking for anything, really. Maybe for permission to go out with friends, but that's all =P

I guess I'll try to find some job that takes 15 year olds, haha.

Hobgoblin Steve
12-21-2008, 06:42 PM
you know, your story sounds so similar to something that happened to me in freshman year of highschool. this also happened in PE. I was going away for the weekend, and was gonna get picked up after school to head out, so I basically had everything packed and whatnot, but I took my CD book with me to school. (about 40 cds, had a cd player, still a few years before ipods and such) I didnt get dressed for gym, never did either, had an "excuse" (was captain of my swim team (freshman-senior year), therefore my gym time was credited for me) and I sat out with my cd player. When it was time to head out, I noticed my text books and various papers from my locker and backpack were all over the stairs, naturally I was pretty much flipping out, cursing, making a scene etc. Some kid who I knew didnt like me and his posse had told me that my locker was open and whatnot, so after getting all my crap into my bag I went to my locker, which (of course) was busted open, lock shattered. Cd book gone, some clothes, textbooks, a set of earlier developed film, and probably some other crap that meant something to me at the time.
all in all it was about 800$ worth of cds that ill never see again, and a couple of them weren't mine. Looking back I wonder why I took my cd book with me, I didnt NEED 40 cds throughout the day, two probably would have sufficed, but we always do something stupid before we learn.

so take it as a lesson, It might suck, and you may never get your stuff back, but trust me, now you know why people dont bring expensive crap that they (or their parents, if they're lucky enough) cant replace to school, and chances are, you wont do it again either. But, also keep in mind, it could have been worse, It could have been a 4000$ uke in that case.

Plainsong
12-21-2008, 06:59 PM
True, it could have been worse. But don't think for one second we don't know what that icky feeling of violation is. Not all college profs are heartless though. In fact if your HS is that bad, a small college might be an awakening in another direction.

I guess none of the PE teachers at my school were worth a damn either. I just got out of PE because of band. We ran EVERYWHERE, and our drill was up there with corps stuff, having done corps, I can say that. Luckily the school admins had a heart and exempted band from having to do PE also. Your Kala was a lot cheaper than my cheapest clarinet, but your Kala sounds loads and loads better than that cheapest clarinet. Have you thought about getting into band? That's generally a safe place to store instruments. Do you play anything else?

It's a shame public schools vary so wildley from one district to the next. Here I am from one of the lowest scoring states in the nation, and the standard at our high school was .. high.

But at least the parents went easier on you, just the lecture anyone in your place feels they can do without. There's always that. Hopefully UU will have some contests where you don't need to perform in order to enter.

BboyEmperor
12-21-2008, 08:11 PM
Hobgoblin Steve, your story reminds me of my friend's. I don't remember that much detail but I'll try to tell you what I remember. Back in I believe what was 7th grade, or 8th, my friend brought his CD player everywhere with him. It was all that his family could afford to get him, at the time. He loved it so much he had a mini CD case like yours, just fewer CD's. Whether we dressed or not, he always had his CD player with him, usually in his jacket pocket. One day he finally decides to leave it in his locker because we had fitness testing that day. Instead of having his stuff all over the floor, his stuff wasn't even there! The lock was semi-on. It was smashed and it couldn't close anymore. He took off the lock from the hook (I don't know why the burglar left the lock there...) and opened up his locker to find NOTHING. They took his clothes, his CD player and his mini case, his backpack, and I believe his phone, too. He was so angry that he just cursed and cursed. He went to tell the teachers there, but, unsurprisingly, they didn't do anything. His locker wasn't the only one that got busted open. There were a few others that got there stuff stolen too. I remember these guys showing my friend how to open a lock with their shoe...But they way these locks were broken it didn't look like any ordinary shoe... Looks like someone had jaws of steel and bit it off.

In my school, there are plenty of people that bring their ukuleles, brand new phones, iPod's, etc. and nothing, or so I think, happens to them. I'm happy it wasn't a $4,000 uke...

Plainsong, I never really thought of joining band, and the only other instrument I play is the guitar. My parents don't ground my any of us (myself and my siblings) If anything the thing they say is restrictions on things such as the computer or something, but that was ages ago. I know of 2 contests going on right now. The "Bling Yo Thing" contest where you hang something random from your ukulele's headstock, but I don't even have an ukulele to start with! And there's also Aldrine's cover contest, but again, I need an ukulele for that. Hopefully there will be a contest that only involves writing or something :P

UkEdman90
12-21-2008, 08:22 PM
dude are u in high school? if so DONT EVER BRING A UKE THERE! 2 many jack offs! they just wana try it out and have no idea what the value is! but yeah sux man! old santa claus is coming thou!

BboyEmperor
12-21-2008, 09:01 PM
Yeah I realized. When I brought my ukulele to school, when I still had it I mean, everyone kept asking me "Hey Levis, let me see your uke!" Then I hand it to them "So how do you play" or "Dude, your strings aren't in order..." Geez it's so annoying. And since my school is FILLED with pacific islanders, each and every one of them that is my friend (and some I don't even know) wants to see my ukulele. I hate how people just reach in as if it were theirs and say "let me see it" Puh-leez. You can see with your eyes, not hands. You have your own uke at home, use it. What? You don't have one? Get one. Stop bothering me. You're only talking to me NOW all because I have an ukulele.

That's one positive thing for my uke getting stolen/lost/jacked/whatever. No more people asking to play it. But then again it's winter break...either way no one would've asked...

But yeah. Like I just said, people are annoying sometimes.

BboyEmperor
12-21-2008, 09:07 PM
Another thing.

Wow, I just read Deach's thread "People SUCK!" and I feel as though I shouldn't have posted this. I think this thread is only making him feel worse. Deach, if you're reading this, and if you thought that this post is a hope to take advantage of you, it's not. I just needed a way to just complain about what happened, is all.

After reading his thread I feel like another one of "those guys." I shouldn't have posted this...
Sorry, UU.

EDIT:
Oh and ANOTHER THING.
I've decided to start saving...starting with $9, woohoo! Maybe about this times about 8 then I'll buy myself another ukulele. Hopefully next time I'll get a concert instead =P I doubt I'll save that much though, haha. Unless I get birthday money AND christmas money put into one for Christmas this year, which is like $50 plus another $50, I believe...

deach
12-21-2008, 11:56 PM
A.... Deach, if you're reading this, and if you thought that this post is a hope to take advantage of you, it's not. I just needed a way to just complain about what happened, is all.

No, I didn't think that at all. I did find it odd yet humorous that your thread title was similar to JKoval's though.

hawaiianmusiclover06
12-22-2008, 12:03 AM
Man.. I feel so sorry for you.. Never to bring your ukulele to school... That's great that you are saving up money for another ukulele.

fergs1
12-22-2008, 03:47 AM
:eek: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kanaka916
12-22-2008, 04:49 AM
Merging this post to the original thread . . .

MiaRosie
12-22-2008, 05:37 AM
I like the idea that you've started saving. Yes there are various quality instruments out there, but if I were in your shoes then anything that I could play would do - anything - until I was in a position to improve on it.

That said - my little uke cost me 20 odd which is approximately $16 - $18 - it doesn't have to be snazzy to sing. Santa is being good and has brought in a new one for me from MGM but I would have stuck with the cheap baby if I had had to.

The other thing is that if your parents see that you are saving yourself, trying to get together the money for a new ukulele they will see just how serious you are about it and who knows, may add a few $'s to your savings when the time comes to purchase.

In your shoes I would be (with parental permission) asking neighbours if they needed a car washed for $2, an outside area cleared for $3 etc etc - it will soon all build up.

I think we have all learnt from the threads that are on the boards at the moment. We are all aware that there are some who are taking the mickey in their attitude of greed, there are some who have genuinely found themselves in a loss situation, when you combine these there will inevitably be some who are more than a little sceptical about some posts.

As Deach says, you have to have trust, you have to be able to maintain your belief in the 'good folk' out there - those trying to take advantage will find it catches up with them.

Remember, Santa knows who's been naughty or good !

:p

:)

laietildaend
12-22-2008, 05:59 AM
dude, that hella suckz
my 1st ook was thrown away by grandma (da 16 dolla kine from Walmart da one in my piksher^)

my 2nd ook (makala sumting model, got it for my b-day at fleamarkit [60 dollahz]) was sat on by my dad

3rd ook (present day, still alive) was from my 12th b-day and it turned 1 year old on da 12th of december dis year...

at that there are coincidently 3 solutions:
1. hop on santa's lap (hoping he's not on viagra =-3) and ask for one
2. us UU membahz can chip in a few monie$
3. (maybe da most likely solution) this will lead to u being russbussed
or most likely... deached!

so dats my useless advice to you
Melekalikimaka
and a good new year ;)

omfgitsangela
12-22-2008, 07:41 AM
dang, i feel for you.
i know how much getting stuff stolen sucks.
my school is ghetto, so everyone knows not to bring anything valuable.
i hope it shows up!

BboyEmperor
12-22-2008, 10:24 AM
Deach, I should've chose another title, huh?

hawaiianmusiclover06, I know that now! I should've known these kids at my school would go that low.

MiaRose, thanks for the advice, but this neighborhood scares me. Actually, most of this city scares me. I'm too nervous to ask anyone around here to do chores for them =P The only time I get money is when my parents give it to me out of random. They know that I'm trying to save up for another ukulele, but I'm trying not to ask for money since they did just get me one last month...

laietildaend, I feel sorry for you too! Why was it thrown away? I would've been so mad. Especially if my dad sat on mine. He almost sat on it before though...
I think I'll go sit on santa's lap hopefully he won't get scared and hoping he isn't on you-know-what xD

omfgitsangela, my school's ghetto too. It's just the school's reputation it has and the people that come here. So many immature kids that I bet are failing most of their classes. There aren't many people here with at least a B average...

So all I can do is wait to receive money randomly from my parents/relatives and hopefully not spend it the next day :p

Thanks for all the advice, guys. :)

JKoval
12-22-2008, 10:30 AM
I didn't mean anything about the title man... I thought it was just kinda odd. Ya know?
<3

-Jeff

BboyEmperor
12-22-2008, 10:34 AM
Yeah, I got you. Still, sorry. :)

BboyEmperor
12-22-2008, 10:55 AM
So, guys. I'm starting to save. If anything I'll get enough money by 11/30/09, haha. That is, if I can't get a job, and my parents only give me money on holidays/special occasions, and I don't beg for money. I'm sure it shouldn't take THAT long...I just have to learn to save :)
Now to find opportunities to get money...any advice guys?
Where can a 15 year old get some money around here?

Plainsong
12-22-2008, 11:18 AM
It's tough to get official jobs isn't it? I guess the old fashioned begging for lawnmowing, car-washing, and baby siting jobs. Also tutoring if there's any subject where you're really good and people need help in it.

I gave the odd music lesson and started out young horses because I was cheaper than a professional trainer. I tried not to pass that bargain basement feeling on to the horses.

Are you good with handywork? You could do odd construction jobs for stuff that doesn't require permits.

Edit - typing out that I used to give voice and clarinet lessons. Man, there I was the "expert" (well, compared to a beginner), and now... I'm the complete and total n00b. It would make the local ukesters either LOL or feel sorry for those poor kids who started out with MY lessons. :)

BboyEmperor
12-22-2008, 11:26 AM
Ahh, I can try some of those jobs...But for who? I mean the only people that would pay me are my siblings, haha!

I tried to get a job for tutoring in math, didn't work out so well...I was hoping I would get the job though. I maintained at least a 3.0 GPA and had an A in my Intermediate Algebra 2 class, but I guess they found better people.

Hmm. What to do, what to do...

Plainsong
12-22-2008, 11:55 AM
Yeah I guess they were looking for Honors or AP Calculus types. One way to get those kind of hard labor jobs is go door to door. Older folks (usually) appreciate a young man ready and willing to work hard to earn some cash.

... Or they'll tell you to get off their lawn! The more the world changes, the more it stays the same. :)

upskydowncloud
12-22-2008, 12:46 PM
hmmmmmmmmmm

BboyEmperor
12-22-2008, 12:53 PM
I'm too scared/nervous to ask people around here, young or old =P
This is a ghetto city and I live in a ghetto part of the city.
It scares me...
I can see it now...

-Knock Knock-
BLAMBLAMBLAM.

BluesDrive
12-22-2008, 12:56 PM
At 15 I was working as somewhat of an apprentice for a freelance computer programmer. I still do it every once in a while, but I'm trying to quit that business because doing it freelance is very hard. Throughout my years(not that far away) I've learned to do many things for money.

Right now I work 8-16 hours a week as an office assistant in a nursing home, computer programming every once in a while, taking up guitar repairs/builds when I can, and buying/selling golf clubs.

Plainsong
12-22-2008, 01:02 PM
Well it seems you're doing a good job of shooting down any suggestions. You know the deal then, the choice is up to you. :)

And no, I didn't like cold knocking on doors either. I sucked at it. :(

BboyEmperor
12-22-2008, 01:37 PM
I guess as opportunities come I'm going to need to learn to say yes...to at least one...

Just walking up to someone's doorstep makes me nervous...

It's going to be a while until I get some money in my pocket...Excluding Christmas.

For now I'll be uke-less and I guess I can start playing my guitar again.
My $20 guitar I bought from swap meet that isn't so great with things wrong with it...
And missing D string...I can probably my use my ooooold set of strings to replace it... Hmm...

Plainsong
12-22-2008, 01:48 PM
Well you know your situation better than us internet experts. All I can say is keep an open mind. While we pass the time, wishing doesn't cost anything, so what's on your wish list to replace it? :)

dinkadink
12-22-2008, 02:23 PM
Try Craigslist! There are always odd jobs on there. And probably some in your area. I always find little goofy job postings on there for a variety of things. Good luck! I'm so, so sorry that your Uke was stolen. And I don't blame you for wanting to be near it all the time, so much, that you take it to school! I'd take mine in the shower if I could! :)

BboyEmperor
12-22-2008, 03:23 PM
Plainsong, I don't even know what I want for Christmas anymore. I'd say an ukulele, but who'd get it for me this time? Oh, I got it. I want a camera/webcam that takes good quality videos/pictures so when I get another ukulele I can record myself for once! :D
But then again, I don't think anyone would get me that.
The only things I had on my Christmas wish list was a MicroSD card and a case for my phone, but I already got those.

Question, did I misinterpret your question? haha.

dinkadink, Thanks for the advice! And I don't blame you. I wonder how it would sound in the shower...wet? Hahaha!

Plainsong
12-22-2008, 03:43 PM
Oh don't take a uke in the shower unless it's plastic. ;)

What I was asking was what uke would you replace the stolen uke with?

BboyEmperor
12-22-2008, 03:49 PM
Oh don't worry, I won't. The only uke I'd take a shower with me is a shower gel's body in the shape of an ukulele...That'd be awesome.

I want to try and get a concert or a tenor next time. Hopefully I'll find a good-priced one from MGM for under $100. I was looking at This Concert from MGM (http://cgi.ebay.com/MAKALA-CONCERT-UKULELE-see-video-MGM-SETUP-W-AQUILAS_W0QQitemZ270318963057QQihZ017QQcategoryZ16 224QQcmdZViewItem) and This Tenor from MGM (http://cgi.ebay.com/MAKALA-TENOR-UKULELE-MGM-Setup-w-aquilas-see-video_W0QQitemZ330295832434QQihZ014QQcategoryZ1622 4QQcmdZViewItem)
Both are Makala's and are good priced...knowing that I won't get much money anyway...Unless something good happens!

Plainsong
12-22-2008, 03:52 PM
That concert Makala is sweeeet too. I got one for my mother-in-law and let's say that I was very surprised by it. So much so that I was feeling sad that I had to wrap it and give it to someone else. Selfish UAS.

BboyEmperor
12-22-2008, 03:57 PM
Haha, nice. What do you suggest, Plainsong? If I get enough, should I go for the Tenor or the Concert?

Plainsong
12-22-2008, 04:15 PM
Well it's personal preference. The concert will save you a few bucks, but if you prefer tenor, that won't make you happy.

I prefer concert size, so if it were me, I'd get the concert. I was really surprised with that uke though.

BboyEmperor
12-22-2008, 04:24 PM
Alright, thanks for the advice. That concert's total price would be $77.90. When I get that I'll give it to my dad so I can use his credit card to buy it. Such a looooong way until i get that much money...

In my world, 50 bucks is a lot. Haha.

Link
12-22-2008, 04:31 PM
I only read the first and last pages (who knows, maybe somewhere along the line I replied..) but I just want to say that we all have these experiences. Every musician who's been playing for some time and isn't incredibly anal about the safety of their instruments is going to have something stolen, something break, something crap out. My beautiful p-bass' pickups died. First bass. When that happened I wanted to kill someone.

Hang in there.

You may have answered this somewhere along the line, so I'm just adding this.. but cant you get a job/donate blood/save up? I do have sympathy for you. But these are basically your options. Such is life bud.

Plainsong
12-22-2008, 04:38 PM
Are there upper age limits on donating blood? It's tough for 15 year olds to go to a fast food place and get a job. They want you to be a little older. But that leaves whatever creative thing you can do that sets you apart from others, or good ole fashioned hard labor.

salukulady
12-22-2008, 04:55 PM
Hey BboyEmperor,
What HS are you at? I've got a nephew at Wilson. I f you two go to the same HS, he could help get the word out around campus. Someone knows where your uke went, I would keep talking to your friends. Also, ask your locker mate who else knows your locker combination. Someone else got in there.

My junior year, my $800 Gemeinhardt solid silver Flute was stolen out of my band locker during a Jazz Festival at my high school. I was devastated. The locker was locked and everything. Had to finish high school with my big sisters POS Artley student flute, (that I still have to this day). I had done nothing wrong. That same year, someone walked away with my already all signed yearbook. I still regret not having that yearbook. My wallet was stolen out of my purse in the locked band room during a half time show, twice. (I finally learned to leave it at home.)

These were all lessons I learned early in life about humans. You have to go through life a little bit careful. Your posts tend to make me feel like you live in a low income area....it don't matter. I went to all white upper middle class high school and people still steal. It's just part of human nature. Some people are jerks whether they're rich or poor. Chalk this one up as a lessoned learned and move on if you don't recover Phoenix. When you get your new baby, all will be right with the world, and you will have really earned this uke. She will be that much more special.

BboyEmperor
12-22-2008, 05:15 PM
The blood drive just happened at my school recently. And you have to be 17...so I have 2 years to go.

Salukulady, I have friends that go to Wilson! I go to Cabrillo, in the west side of Long Beach. And ouch, $800...Yeah my friends in Band got their things stolen too. I keep telling them to not put things in band room or anything like that, and they finally listened after their wallets, instruments, etc. have been stolen. Just like Deach says, "People SUCK!" There's jerks and there's people that make me want to scream "People are AWESOME!" (Quotes from Deach)

The day I get back to school I'm going straight to the Lost & Found and I'm going to talk with the P.E. teachers if they can help...or something. If not there after the first or second week, I shall claim it, just like JKoval, officially stolen/lost.

Link
12-22-2008, 05:22 PM
Ok... be a Gigolo.

Google it.

BboyEmperor
12-22-2008, 05:29 PM
Wooow I haven't heard that term since that movie.

Deuce bigalow, Male gigolo. Haha.

Plainsong
12-22-2008, 05:49 PM
Even the frakking band room isn't safe? So no one plays anything then because it's not safe to bring decent instruments to school. That's just great. Getting into that band room was an earned priveledge, and anyway violating that would be stopped pretty quick by one of us. We worked hard for that right, we're the only ones allowed in.

And I agree that it's not just a low income problem. People have stuff stolen in all schools, not that it makes you feel any better. The pissiest thing is the teacher apathy (teachers aren't supposed to be apathetic!), and friends who aren't bothered.

BboyEmperor
12-22-2008, 06:13 PM
People of all ages steal within schools. Since middle school my friends got things jacked. iPods, Cell phones, etc. It's terrible. And knowing that all you can do is tell the teachers what you lost and hope someone finds it and returns it, but with the society we live in, no one will do that. They'll find it and either keep it, trash it, give it away, or sell it. No doubt about it. The only chance is if the good guy (what, 1 in 10,000?) finds it and returns it, or places it in the lost & found.

I hope someone has it and isn't that big of a jerk to give it back...or someone bust him. I'm saying "him" since it was stolen/lost within the boys locker room...I'd be surprised if a girl took it...

Plainsong
12-22-2008, 06:33 PM
"In my day" - if someone went out of the way to jack something not common, like say, a uke, it's someone that doesn't like you specifically.

The thing that gets me is actual band instruments stolen. FFS, that sounds like a band where hazing needs to come back in style.

DeG
12-22-2008, 06:42 PM
Even the frakking band room isn't safe?
BSG much?? :D Personally, I prefer Frelling, to Frakking.

Wooow I haven't heard that term since that movie.

Deuce bigalow, Male gigolo. Haha.

I thought you were going to say American Gigolo, damn I feel old now...:o

BboyEmperor
12-22-2008, 06:46 PM
Nowadays, people steal things whether they hate you, like you, or don't even know you. They just break open locks and steal. I've seen it before.

At my middle school, I was in the same row with my friend. His locker was somewhat close to mine, I guess. We were all getting dressed to p.e. and my friend and I were done so we locked up and left. We always check our own locks, even each others, before we left. Sometimes it was for fun sometimes it was dead serious. Anyway...I remembered I had forgotten to put something away so I went back into the locker room and there were these 3 hispanic boys breaking into my friend's locker. How you might ask? They had a shoe in their hand and were banging on the lock. That's how they do it nowadays, apparently. Well, anyway, they saw me and I walked towards my lock and they thought they were breaking into mine so they ran out. Too bad for them I already saw/recognized their faces. I told my friend and I went with him to the teacher and they got the boys suspended for two days. or was it three?...Oh well, that doesn't matter. Myself nor my friend knew who these guys were, I just knew that they stole my phone later on in the year. My friend caught them, told the teacher, they went to the office, I got my phone back, they were suspended.

Just goes to show you. People do these things just because they're stupid and have no reason but to see "what's good."

I hope Phoenix comes back home by the end of January...

EDIT - Oh and, Sorry DeG, never heard of American Gigolo...Well, not that I can think of right now, haha!

nikolo727
12-22-2008, 07:15 PM
good luck with that broh. The best thing you can do now is just remember not to lose any sleep over it. In my eyes, it happened for a reason and when stuff like this happens, we got to just keep your chin up and deal. I dont mean that in an angry way either. :p. Its actually the exact opposite, stuff like that has happened to me and theres not really much you can do about it. so keep steppin' and everything will turn out good in the end.

BboyEmperor
12-22-2008, 07:23 PM
Thanks, Nikolo727. I believe stuff like this happened to almost all of us before...

All I can do is stay strong and hopefully something good will happen.
Hmm...How to have good karma...

Speaking of karma, I hope something TERRIBLE happens to whoever did this. That's coming straight out of anger. >_>

nikolo727
12-22-2008, 07:30 PM
I know it seems like right now all you want is revenge, but later on you'll probubly realize that the person who stole it from you, is going to regret it later in life. One day he will more than likely repent and feel like a giant bag of douche. I dont believe in karma, but i do believe that everyone has a little nice side inside of themselves and that someday, they will regret their past trespasses.

peace and happy holidays,
nikolo

BboyEmperor
12-22-2008, 07:32 PM
I hope so...But knowing how these kids are nowadays, they seem like full-on douches that wouldn't care about it now or in the future...
It's just the impression they give off by the way they act and what not.
Well I can't honestly say since I don't know who did it, but I'm saying this school's probably full of people like that.

nikolo727
12-22-2008, 07:49 PM
hmmm, let me just say i would agree with you, if i was in your situation. think about that.

but yeah that is a very astute theory. Then again, who are we to try and guess what people feel and think.

Now i made my head hurt.

BboyEmperor
12-22-2008, 07:56 PM
What?

Anyway..
BACK ON TOPIC:
How did you guys get money at the age of 15?
Put yourself in my situation. No money from doing chores/jobs around the house. Money comes randomly from my mom...when she knows I'm broke.

ukeninam
12-22-2008, 08:45 PM
for what its worth there just seems to be an endless supply of kleptomaniacs around the world...there have been a bunch of stories on the news here in canada that touring musicians are getting burglarized a lot lately...
Even if people are truly careful you never really know when something unfortunate can happen...

true story when I was in high school I used to tell people all the time to lock their lockers after a string of locker vandals and burglaries...and the one time I didn't someone actually stole my LOCK and my hoodie????? hahahah ohhHHhhHh the irony!!!! I laughed it off since I would never leave anything of value in my locker like money especially..you just never know when sneaky hands find targets!!!

as for your job situation I'd say asking family members or friends about possible places of employment...My first job was working a long side my parents' company...i never got allowance so along with chores and what not i was slaving for the parents for some money hahah...

goodluck with the jobhunt and maybe santa can bring you a new uke!!!

BboyEmperor
12-22-2008, 09:14 PM
ukeninam, You are so right. I guess you can never really trust people nowadays. Jobhunting comes later and if Santa doesn't bring me an ukulele this year then I'll have my hopes on Phoenix being returned to me somehow.

Otherwise, I don't know...

Pharmaceutical.Bandit
12-22-2008, 10:56 PM
for what its worth there just seems to be an endless supply of kleptomaniacs around the world...there have been a bunch of stories on the news here in canada that touring musicians are getting burglarized a lot lately...
Even if people are truly careful you never really know when something unfortunate can happen...

true story when I was in high school I used to tell people all the time to lock their lockers after a string of locker vandals and burglaries...and the one time I didn't someone actually stole my LOCK and my hoodie????? hahahah ohhHHhhHh the irony!!!! I laughed it off since I would never leave anything of value in my locker like money especially..you just never know when sneaky hands find targets!!!

as for your job situation I'd say asking family members or friends about possible places of employment...My first job was working a long side my parents' company...i never got allowance so along with chores and what not i was slaving for the parents for some money hahah...

goodluck with the jobhunt and maybe santa can bring you a new uke!!!

one of my favorite bands was on tour and had their whole trailer stolen while they were asleep at a holiday inn.

then on their next tour their trailer got burglarized. lots of crap stolen, compooter equipment containing new recordings, and junk like that.

and theres just so many people nowadays that steal for no reason at all. stealing things they dont need. the other day i was walking into my local blockbuster and passed a group of kids that i went to high school with but didn't ever know em. i know for a fact that those kids have money. they buy drugs, alcohol, and all the junk nobody needs.(i know because i had a couple of classmates who were friends with those guys. but i no longer talk to said classmates) and when i walked into the blockbuster, the manager who is extremely friendly runs out but the guys had driven off. she walks back in and says 'man those guys just stole headphones i just stocked'. i know it isn't too bad that some junk got stolen from her store, but i just hate how people steal things they do not need and can live without. i can understand how homeless people can steal food and money. but if you're stealing junk that you don't need to survive, you're just a greedy punk. those kids are like 21yrs old now. what the frikk are they stealing for? get a job and work for what you need.

BboyEmperor, it sucks that you got robbed of your uke, but aint much you can do about it. especially at a public school. i went to public school myself. cant trust anybody. i'm glad i just knew a lot of people, and just by association, most people didn't mess with me because i was a friend of somebody they knew. (by no means was i a popular guy. just knew a person or 2 from all the little cliques and whatnot. amazing what a little social networking can do for you!)

keep an eye out on craigslist. about 2 or 3 weeks ago somebody sold a practically brand new Kamoa Soprano for 25 bucks. i was a day too late on the item, but man, that would've been a killer deal.

ugh... that was a long post. sorry lol.

uluapoundr
12-23-2008, 09:43 AM
What?

Anyway..
BACK ON TOPIC:
How did you guys get money at the age of 15?
Put yourself in my situation. No money from doing chores/jobs around the house. Money comes randomly from my mom...when she knows I'm broke.

When I grew up I did chores around the home because I was a part of the family. I also got an allowance because I was part of the family and my parents wanted me to learn how to budget instead of just giving whenever they wanted or I needed. It wasn't much but still taught me the value of money, budgeting, and saving.

Things have definitely changed over the years and I never thought I'd find myself talking as if I was/am the older generation. We got kids now with cell phones, PSPs, laptops, brand new cars and it's not that their parents are rich. I'm talking about middle or lower middle class islanders who sacrifice so that their kids can have, but what lesson are we teaching them? It's no wonder there is a lack of value for the things they have.

At 12 years old, I even paid for 1/2 my first uke, which was a Kamaka Soprano that was sponsored by the PTA. I used gift money that I had saved. When I was 15, I got my first job pumping gas. It was minimum wage, but at least I had my own spending money for gas, movies, fishing supplies, etc.

Bboy, if you really want to save up to purchase another uke, you'll find a way. Wash some cars, mow some lawns, shovel snow, save up some Christmas money. It may take a bit longer, but you'll have a much better appreciation for what your money is spent on.

ukeninam
12-23-2008, 10:56 AM
Pharmaceutical.Bandit

"for a fact that those kids have money. they buy drugs, alcohol, and all the junk nobody needs.(i know because i had a couple of classmates who were friends with those guys. but i no longer talk to said classmates)"

this part totally makes me question your name a little:o

and I think the most important thing about the below quote is the last part...
"especially at a public school. i went to public school myself. cant trust anybody"

I went to a Catholic private school and there was a problem of vandalism, burglaries, as well as drugs and alcohol so really public or private you really can't trust others...

h-drix
12-23-2008, 11:23 AM
i might be a play off the band RX bandits, idk though.

as for public schools, i guess im a lucky man. Ive left a lot of valueable stuff laying arund my school, and when i realize and go back an hour later its still all there. For that im pretty trusting of the people in my school.

One thing that happened to my older brothers friend was that he bought his guitar (~$500) in to guitar class. the teacher said he would lock it up for the day. when he went back at the end of school day the guitar was gone.

then another time a kid got off with about $500 in cash and a handful of MP3's. the play was rehesing, and there is no changing room, so everyones purses/backpacks were laying out back stage and someone just went though them all and took everything.

nikolo727
12-23-2008, 11:24 AM
What?B][/B]

i have absolutely no idea or recolection of our earlier conversation.

i <3 eggnog.

:D

BboyEmperor
12-23-2008, 01:25 PM
Thanks for all the stories and advice guys.
Let the jobhunting begin!
And the more chores/jobs around the house I can do...
"Hey (sister's name here), I'll wash your car for $5"
Haha wow, she really gave me $5. Awesome.

EDIT:
oh and I hope Santa Claus is coming to town...
And gives lumps and lumps and lumps of coals to whoever did this >:[

Pharmaceutical.Bandit
12-23-2008, 03:57 PM
Pharmaceutical.Bandit

this part totally makes me question your name a little:o

my name is derived from the band name Rx Bandits. my favorite band evarrr. =P

they used to go by the name Pharmaceutical Bandits but changed it to Rx Bandits.

and actually i look up to those that live the "straight edge" lifestyle. But i just can't resist a beer after a long week =D

BboyEmperor
12-25-2008, 02:51 PM
okay guys, after christmas money, i know have...
$30...
there's some more to go...haha

laietildaend
12-25-2008, 04:00 PM
laietildaend, I feel sorry for you too! Why was it thrown away? I would've been so mad. Especially if my dad sat on mine. He almost sat on it before though...
I think I'll go sit on santa's lap hopefully he won't get scared and hoping he isn't on you-know-what xD

lol i once found a little suprise on his lap and i said "santa, all i want for christmas is a clean mind"

but aneewhez...
my grandma threw aweh my ook because she justb got tired of all the practicing, fighting, off-key singing, and the girls in the pool but the case of my dad sitting on my uke was a blessing in disguise (like transformers i luv that show) because my old, broken makala (imitation brand ukulele) with a nice "koostick letric" kala-kaec:)

BboyEmperor
12-25-2008, 05:32 PM
lol i once found a little suprise on his lap and i said "santa, all i want for christmas is a clean mind"

but aneewhez...
my grandma threw aweh my ook because she justb got tired of all the practicing, fighting, off-key singing, and the girls in the pool but the case of my dad sitting on my uke was a blessing in disguise (like transformers i luv that show) because my old, broken makala (imitation brand ukulele) with a nice "koostick letric" kala-kaec:)

lol@the santa thing.

aww man she still shouldn't have took it away for the first three reasons...and what's with the girls in the pool? haha. and cool you got an acoustic electric :)

Guys. I don't think santa got my letter. :(

upskydowncloud
12-26-2008, 06:17 AM
$30 is a start, give it a few months and you'll be closer

BboyEmperor
12-26-2008, 02:20 PM
$30 is a start, give it a few months and you'll be closer

I have to learn to save is all...

Plainsong
12-26-2008, 02:42 PM
I have to learn to save is all...

Umm, do you know how to check your Personal Messages? You got one from me that perhaps you might be interested to read. ;)

BboyEmperor
12-26-2008, 02:48 PM
Umm, do you know how to check your Personal Messages? You got one from me that perhaps you might be interested to read. ;)

I read it :)
You should see my response :P

Oh and guys I forgot to mention, but strangely enough, my friend that shares lockers with me has the same exact model ukulele as I did!
No, no, I didn't figure this out after the incident. It's a weird coincidence, though. Just thought I'd like to share. Oh and he got a guitar for Christmas.
And he's standing right next to me reading as I type...:D

Sorry, random. Back on topic...
Anyone got some tips on saving money?
I know it sounds silly but I got a problem with this =P

Plainsong
12-26-2008, 03:03 PM
Well you have another PM reply to that. ;)

BboyEmperor
12-26-2008, 03:07 PM
Well you have another PM reply to that. ;)

So do you :D

OKAY GUYS.
I want you all to :bowdown:
No not bow down or obey...
but pray that I get my ukulele back by 2nd semester.
If 2nd semester starts and my ukulele is not within my hands I shall say it's officially out of my life.

Cross your fingers with me :)

salukulady
12-26-2008, 03:11 PM

Oh and guys I forgot to mention, but strangely enough, my friend that shares lockers with me has the same exact model ukulele as I did!
No, no, I didn't figure this out after the incident. It's a weird coincidence, though. Just thought I'd like to share. Oh and he got a guitar for Christmas.

I know it sounds silly but I got a problem with this =PPut it somewhere you can't get to it, until you have enough. Years ago my husband and I successfully saved enough money for our house by putting it in a bank account my father had opened for us. We were allowed to deposit money into it, but we could not withdraw with out my Dad being there. That was the only way we were able to save.

Plainsong
12-26-2008, 03:15 PM
My parents saved money to go to Vegas by putting away the same amount they did when they used to smoke. It was 4 dollars every few days, and that eventually added up to a nice vacation.

Maybe someone decided they didn't like the uke after all and left it at school. That would be a Christmas miracle!

Hope you feel better soon. I had the flue too, it's not fun. :(

bundy
12-26-2008, 04:15 PM

I know it sounds silly but I got a problem with this =P

envelopes are like magic. put your savings in one, and you wont wanna touch your money. haha. it worked for me and some friends.

nikolo727
12-26-2008, 04:27 PM
Hope you feel better soon. I had the flue too, it's not fun. :(

i have the flu now. its awesome.(sarcasm much) im bed ridden now, and come tuesday i will be too, cuz of my wisdom teeth operation.

argh. happy new year. :/

BboyEmperor
12-26-2008, 05:50 PM
Salukulady, that seems like a good idea. I want to try that but I don't know...sounds difficult a bit to me. I'm going to need transportation to and from the bank too...hmm...I could try something. Thanks for the idea. I'll go bug my sister in a bit :P

Plainsong, that's some story... and I'd love for that Miracle to happen! I'd be the happiest guy on Earth to go back to school and find it there. Thank you, but I don't think I'll be getting better any time soon, I sound disgusting and I'm coughing like mad.

Bundy, I might try your technique, haha. It seems easier than going to and from the bank a lot :D Thanks for the tip!

nikolo727, We know how you feel. I'm sure you, myself, and plainsong aren't the only 3 members here that are/were sick....We feel your pain :/

Merry Day-After-Christmas UU, and a Happy happy happy New Year. I already spent my Christmas without an ukulele, now to prepare to spend the New Year without an ukulele. Hopefully it'll show up.

Again, pray pray pray with me... :)

rogue_wave
12-26-2008, 06:22 PM
My money saver- In college, I used to stash money in a clear bottle, preferably glass. Every now and then I would throw a dollar in it. If I got a couple of bucks for a present I stuffed it into the bottle, piggy-bank style. Just the thought of having to break the thing kept me from dipping in.

Good luck. Sorry to hear about your uke.

BboyEmperor
12-26-2008, 06:27 PM
rogue_wave, I'm interested in doing that...sounds like a good idea. It'll keep my hands away...but when the time comes I'd be too scared to break it open :x

SeanKy671
12-26-2008, 06:36 PM
So I read ur story and well... that sucks
I never bring my uke to P.E.

i always put it in my normal locker where nobody can break in.. :D

BboyEmperor
12-26-2008, 06:56 PM
I've done both, actually :x

When I brought it to P.E. yeah all these people kept asking to play it...eh. But this time I put it in my locker, just like the story states...

People have ways of breaking in.
So far I only know 3.
Key, Big Metal Pliers thing, and a shoe with a hard bang to the lock.

Hmm...I wonder which one they did to mine. :/

dood
12-26-2008, 10:01 PM
damn while i was in highschool when you bring a ukulele and you have P.E. you can just give it to the teacher and he/she will hold it for you! Since my school never had lockers lol dont worry karma goes around and comes around good will come your way!

BboyEmperor
12-26-2008, 10:23 PM
Thanks dood. That sounds funny xD
Yes, yes. Karma. The person that did this to me = Bad things will happen to them, I promise that.
The teachers that wouldn't hold it for me or let me put it in their office = Them too.

BboyEmperor
12-28-2008, 05:46 PM
Hmm guys, there's MGM's Makala Concert for $77.90 and there's This Makala Concert from Bounty Music (http://www.ukes.com/kala-ukuleles.html) for $56.25 or with case for $94.75...but which is better? MGM provides upgraded strings and setup and everything, whereas Bounty Music does not, well, not that I know of. If I wanted to buy this ukulele, which should I get it from? And if you say BM, with or w/o case?

Oh and guys, if there's something about this I don't know please don't shove it in my face and make me feel dumb, but inform me in some way :P

deach
12-29-2008, 01:36 AM
You can't go wrong with MGM.

upskydowncloud
12-29-2008, 03:41 AM
Hmm guys, there's MGM's Makala Concert for $77.90 and there's This Makala Concert from Bounty Music (http://www.ukes.com/kala-ukuleles.html) for $56.25 or with case for $94.75...but which is better? MGM provides upgraded strings and setup and everything, whereas Bounty Music does not, well, not that I know of. If I wanted to buy this ukulele, which should I get it from? And if you say BM, with or w/o case?

Oh and guys, if there's something about this I don't know please don't shove it in my face and make me feel dumb, but inform me in some way :P

I guess it'd make sense to get one with a case, unless you have a gig bag or something already that you can use. The last thing you want is to damage your uke when you're carrying it from place to place.

Like Deach says you can't go wrong with MGM, everyone recommends him highly. I just made my first purchase from him today, although that was a case humidifier not a uke and everything seems good so far!

Good luck with the purchase.

Plainsong
12-29-2008, 04:21 AM
It didn't seem in dire need of a case when I test drove the version I got for mother-in-law. Having said that, I got a Koolau hard case for my MP uke, and am giving the Protec case that came with that uke to go with the Makala.

But the Protec seems like way way too much case for the Makala.. but hey, its' a case.

BboyEmperor
12-29-2008, 04:39 PM
Uhm so yeah. I think I might just go with MGM, since I won't need the case so much anyway...

Sigh. Money, can't you come to me any faster. Haha, joking.

DeG
12-29-2008, 05:14 PM
Also, I think your off on the price if this (http://cgi.ebay.com/MAKALA-CONCERT-UKULELE-MGM-SETUP-W-AQUILAS-see-video_W0QQitemZ250347981989QQihZ015QQcategoryZ1622 4QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262) is the one your talking about.. It is only $62.95 unless your counting shipping from MGM and not from BM. Does BM offer free shipping or something? I think the TLC from MGM is worth the $7 difference.

BboyEmperor
12-30-2008, 02:27 PM
Ah, alright guys. I've made my almost-final decision. Once Phoenix is declared stolen I shall save up enough to buy MGM's Makala concert. It seems nice, upgraded strings, setup, everything.

Random fact: Phoenix was bought from MGM :P
Random fact Number 2: I have $30! Still saving :D

geoffsuke
01-23-2009, 10:53 AM
jees that really sucks having it stolen, i've taken my ohana tk-300g to school twice now, we've got this special room to leave instruments in at our school. i guess you don't have one of those.

seems you've scared me half to death:eek: with your story, i'll think twice before taking it again,

ukulelemotion
01-23-2009, 11:24 AM
bro.. im so sorry to hear that. what kind of uke was it?

ukulelemotion
01-23-2009, 11:26 AM
Ah, alright guys. I've made my almost-final decision. Once Phoenix is declared stolen I shall save up enough to buy MGM's Makala concert. It seems nice, upgraded strings, setup, everything.

Random fact: Phoenix was bought from MGM :P
Random fact Number 2: I have $30! Still saving :D

how much is that makala concert you're looking at?

cpatch
01-23-2009, 12:57 PM
Don't forget craigslist as a source for secondhand ukes (both L.A. and O.C.)...you can often find a $100-150 uke for $50-60. Also check Island Bazaar in Huntington Beach...maybe you can work out an arrangement with them where you can do some work off-the-books in exchange for a uke or at least a discount. They may have used ukes available as well. Think outside the box! Who knows, if you're smart maybe you can end up leveraging this whole unfortunate situation to open some doors for future opportunities.

Craig

BboyEmperor
01-23-2009, 09:16 PM
Uhm, guys. Some of you aren't updated xD
I've posted a more-recent thread called "Dun Dun Dun..." I believe.
I got her back in my possession. Thanks for caring though. :)