What slotted headstock angle do you use successfully?

rudy

Reaction score
I'm CADing up a slot head tenor and it looks like a headstock angle of 12 degrees is preferable over the standard 15 degrees used with most post-style tuner designs. Opinions?

However you design it just make sure your strings don't touch the ramps. Just one of my many pet peeves. You may find that by doing so that your angle is less than you think. Sorry i can't help you with specifics, I never measured. I just laid out the head stock, strings and post profile and adjusted it until I got it where I wanted it. I do know the string angle is 15 degrees but the headstock angle itself is probably only ten degrees. it's the string angle that's important, and with tuner placement and overall head stock length, that will determine the head stock angle.

Last edited:
Ten degrees string angle is enough, so the headstock angle can be as low as six to seven degrees like Hausers did. Just make sure that the slot angle of your nut is at least ten. I've seen a German copy of Hauser Sr. which had the string slot angle as low as the headstock and it did buzz.

Last edited:
10-12 degrees is fine. I shoot for 11degrees and end up in that range after cleaning up the scarf joint.

Enclosing our drawings of two different tenor uke necks.... we've found this works well for both slothead and normal ......

Blessings,

Kevin
Uke 14 Fret Tenor WG Neck.jpgMS Tenor 14 Neck Dim.jpgMS Tenor Uke Neck Angle.jpgWineGlass Volute Neck Angle Tenor 14.jpgTenor 14 Slot Head Top Side.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom