interesting way to string a uke

dirtiestkidever

Reaction score
When I got my kala ukulele it was strung like this. Every time I changed the strings I redid it the same way. But it means that to change one string you basically need to change them all. Is there any reason to string it like this or can I just do it the normal way? There are two holes per string so one wouldn't be used. I have searched online for this but have only found videos etc on more 'normal' ways of stringing. Thanks in advance.

photo.jpg

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...y-4-holes-in-a-8-holes-bridge-is-it-a-problem

I actually just looked into stringing these bridges a little while ago to see what people were doing. That thread has a couple different pictures/ways to do it. My kala has the same 8 hole configuration and I'm trying to find a good picture of another way that I've seen it done that looked decent as well, but didn't require you to change every string every time...just a sec while I hunt it down for ya...

Last edited:
Bridge stringing

I recently restrung my Lanikai so took pics before so I could restring it the same way!

This is how it was originally with Aquila strings.

Attachments

• IMG_0025.jpg
    IMG_0025.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0026.jpg
    IMG_0026.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
My Lanikai was strung like that as well. The first time I changed strings I just put the excess of one string into the "next hole". E.g. I put the excess of the g-string into the adjacent hole of the c-string. Looks good that way in my opinion.
Maybe that would change your problem of having to change all strings.

When I bought my Brunswick BU4CE It came strung in the same and I found it very strange as well, I found though it was strung rather shadily and wasn't trimmed very well and I was getting vibrations due to this.. So I changed the strings and tied the bridge differently and it was fixed :p

The classical guitar tie-on as shown above is a timber-hitch, the tail does not have to be tucked through the other strings. This tuck-through seems to be a new fashion.
On a classical guitar the wound bass strings can wear out rather quickly, having the lot tangled together at the bridge would be a nuisance.

There is another method whereby the tail is not twisted around the string but simply clamped by the string near the rear hole, this must lie right behind the bridge.
Through the hole and out the back, around the string and across the rear hole under the string, pull tight. Cut long ends when tuned up.

I find I get a better sound out of the saddle by knotting the string and tucking the tag end into the hole. Works for classical guitar too. It can need a big knot.
Not as daft as it sounds, you can get ball-end classical strings (but they're not pretty).

I'm a newbie, so my vote counts for zero :) but - I really don't like that way.
For the short time I have been in the uke world, I have read a whole lotta cases of people breaking strings.
The incidence here seems to be Much higher than in the guitar world. If that is a true statement, then binding the strings together like that just gets in the way.

I had to replace a string for the first time recently, and the strings were bound together that way. It got in the way.

There's nothing that says you have to tuck the strings under the next string. Just my dos centavos!

When I restring, I don't tuck. Tried it and it caused a buzz...weird...

Thanks for the answers. I actually never have (and probably never will) replace just one string. But I was curious about this method of stringing. I guess it isn't really functional. Great to know. Thanks everybody.

Just like tucking your shirt in to go to work - blah, hate it! Would rather be comfortable/ lazy/ less work!

Top Bottom