Formby Style on Goldtone Banjolele

Nice uke and great playing.

Brilliant work George, wonderful technique and playing. Not sure if your neighbours will be as complimentary.

Yep it's LOUD. I had to put the mic level right down to record without distortion.

Jeez ! Awesome triple strum.
Bravo, such great sound !!!

That was fabulous! It's all there, split-strokes, triples, finger-lifts .... fan? ..... it's a shame more uke players don't appreciate Formby-style..... speaking as one who DOES! I'd love to see Formby-style incorporated into original compositions - it's living music and needs to evolve. Ukulelezaza (Remco Houtman-Janssen) uses the techniques a lot. You've got them all nicely nailed!

Looking forward to some more! :)

And by the way - I'm already subscribed to your channel!

Last edited:
Really nice playing...
...what are your opinions of the GoldTone?

Yeah it's a good instrument, just had to make some adjustments when I got it. I read that replacing the vellum with a calfskin one makes a huge difference but
for now I'm happy with it the way it is.

Last edited:
That was fabulous! It's all there, split-strokes, triples, finger-lifts .... fan? ..... it's a shame more uke players don't appreciate Formby-style..... speaking as one who DOES! I'd love to see Formby-style incorporated into original compositions - it's living music and needs to evolve. Ukulelezaza (Remco Houtman-Janssen) uses the techniques a lot. You've got them all nicely nailed!

Looking forward to some more! :)

And by the way - I'm already subscribed to your channel!

Thank you very much, love the Formby style as it's so unique to the ukulele. I seen Ukulelezaza here in Ireland at a uke fest before he's a great player, Andy Eastwood was also on the bill and he really does the Formby stuff well.

Just superb playing!

I can do a decent split stroke, triple and a reasonable fan but there's something going on when a player like you that's really got it dialled opens up which I just haven't quite got yet - I need to study your playing closely but unfortunately youtube can't keep up with it! If you ever feel inspired to do a slow play through I'll be watching! :)

Great video! Nice to see another Goldtone BU out there! I definitely recommend the calf skin. It made an unbelievable difference. Also tuning up to D and putting some cheaper strings with less sustain helped the sound tremendously. It has a habit of sounding hollow or brash but the calfskin and strings make all the difference. You can see a video of my Goldtone here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDvHNncboDE

-Johnny Foodstamp
Cheers!

Cool Playing!! You make it all look SO easy!!! I can do all the bits individually but it all falls apart when I try & put it together in one song!! In my head, I can hear all the syncopations & finger taps & changes ....... but it just doesn't translate to my playing ....... yet!!

I'll just keep slogging away!!
cheers
Roberta

Cool Playing!! You make it all look SO easy!!! I can do all the bits individually but it all falls apart when I try & put it together in one song!! In my head, I can hear all the syncopations & finger taps & changes ....... but it just doesn't translate to my playing ....... yet!!

I'll just keep slogging away!!
cheers
Roberta

With formby style it's all about having your left and right hands in sync, especially when it comes to changing chords. You have to have planned what strums your going to be doing so it changes smoothly. As you say keep slogging away and it comes. George

Top Bottom