PDA

View Full Version : Why did I not think of this before...

The Big Kahuna
04-10-2013, 10:30 AM
The Hawaiian flag has the Union Jack in the top corner...the flag of The United Kingdom.

"Ukulele" begins with the letters "UK"

Coincidence ? I think not.

I hereby claim back the Ukulele as the national musical instrument of the British people and demand that all quality instruments be repatriated. All Hawaiian Uke manufacturers are ordered to send their entire stock to me, or face invasion by pasty white beer drinking British tourists who will do nothing but sit in the sun until they are bright red and complain about the sandwiches.

Dan Uke
04-10-2013, 11:04 AM
Havent you already lost this war like 3 centuries ago? Gonna drop this topic like a bad habit. LOL

mds725
04-10-2013, 12:22 PM
Nice try, but yes, coincidence. :) The choice of the name " 'ukulele" had nothing to do with the British, and since there are so relatively few letters in the Hawaiian alphabet, the odds of UK showing up in a Hawaiian word are not astronomical. For what it's worth, the Hawaiian word ukiuki also begins with the letters UK, and it means "anger, resentment."

Gillian
04-10-2013, 12:46 PM
This thread sent me to Wikipedia to find out how the Union Jack got on the Hawaiian flag.

Interesting history between the British and the Hawaiians. Sort of a love/hate relationship. Take for example what happened to Captain Cook. He was revered as a reincarnation of the god Lono, but then was stabbed to death, his body was cooked and his salvaged bones were revered like religious icons.

Strange.

Brad Bordessa
04-10-2013, 02:10 PM
Sort of a love/hate relationship.

From Hawaiʻi Magazine:
The Kanaka Maoli—or "native Hawaiian"—flag (right) is said to have been Kamehameha’s personal flag long before the modern Hawaiian flag. British navy Captain Lord George Paulet destroyed it when he took control of Hawaii for five months in 1843.

Brad Bordessa
04-10-2013, 02:23 PM
Iʻll add that topics like this are incredibly insensitive to the Hawaiian people. It would behoove you all to look up the overthrow of the Hawaiian Kingdom and history leading up to it before you commit yourself to a thread along these lines.

As a haole guy in Hawaiian Studies, just trying to inform you before bridges burn.

808boy
04-10-2013, 02:41 PM
Yeah, SH is the starting letters in Shame, as in Shame on You. SH could stand for "sh*t head" too, lol. I'll forever defend Hawaii Nei...........

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
04-10-2013, 02:53 PM
Iʻll add that topics like this are incredibly insensitive to the Hawaiian people. It would behoove you all to look up the overthrow of the Hawaiian Kingdom and history leading up to it before you commit yourself to a thread along these lines.

Cute intention of the thread but Brad is correct., it's very insensitive.

And BTW, the Madieran "machete" only became 'ukulele after it was built in Hawaii. And even then it was known more as the "taro patch fiddle". The guitar builders and wood workers aboard the Ravenscrag had no idea what an "ukulele" was until they landed in Hawaii. The first reference to "ukulele" was sometime between 1891 and 1895 depending upon whom you read, a dozen or so years after the Portuguese landed.

Telperion
04-10-2013, 03:03 PM
Cute intention of the thread but Brad is correct., it's very insensitive.

Agreed. Next topic, please.

I'm off to get a snack. Something got me thinking about sandwiches....

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
04-10-2013, 03:14 PM
sandwich

Hah! Now that's funny!

Pueo
04-10-2013, 03:37 PM
Of course the sandwiches are delicious, these ARE the Sandwich Islands...

Seriously, no disrespect intended. I love living here, and I try to learn as much as I can about the culture and the people, and learn as much traditional music as I can as my way of honoring and respecting the people and the `aina. I also happen to LOVE Hawaiian music, and really enjoy singing and playing it. I strive to do it justice, especially since I am not a native. My wife does have Native Hawaiian blood though, so I guess I get a small pass, right?

808boy
04-10-2013, 04:30 PM
Of course the sandwiches are delicious, these ARE the Sandwich Islands...

Seriously, no disrespect intended. I love living here, and I try to learn as much as I can about the culture and the people, and learn as much traditional music as I can as my way of honoring and respecting the people and the `aina. I also happen to LOVE Hawaiian music, and really enjoy singing and playing it. I strive to do it justice, especially since I am not a native. My wife does have Native Hawaiian blood though, so I guess I get a small pass, right?

Aloha Bruddah,
Gotta hook up the next time I'm in Ewa Beach. My Fiance's Ohana is there. We normally stay in Waikiki but go holoholo all ovah da place..........................Bo.............

The Big Kahuna
04-10-2013, 07:09 PM
I give up on you lot sometimes.

Kamanaaloha
04-10-2013, 07:29 PM
Ok however misguided the "brit" was...it was funny...because it was so entirely silly!

As for the overthrow part...that is touchy...

Make music be merry and stop the political stuff...the world has way too much of it!

Bill1
04-10-2013, 10:45 PM
Please don't give up just yet. I think you could be on a good track, we just need to align it with history.
From my reading I have concluded that the great George Formby and possibly his father actually may have been part of the pioneering of the ukulele variant known as the banjolele or banjo ukulele. There may well be some validity to assigning this form of the instrument as the national instrument of England. There is a great catalogue of Formby material to inform English ukulele as a group, and we could all show homage by requesting favourites like "Cleaning Windows" whenever we hear a player who hails from England?

Tootler
04-10-2013, 10:54 PM
... we could all show homage by requesting favourites like "Cleaning Windows" whenever we hear a player who hails from England?

Please! Please! No! :mad:

I get enough of that as it is. :wallbash:

The Big Kahuna
04-10-2013, 11:11 PM
entirely silly!

I sort of figured that everyone would realise that this was the point of the ENTIRE post.

Bill1
04-10-2013, 11:15 PM
Sorry all I was just being silly.

Hippie Dribble
04-10-2013, 11:20 PM
Kahuna, I got a better idea

Our Australian flag is pretty much the Union Jack with a few dots around it...I'll send you my ukes instead...plus, heaps of awesome builders here...Allen McFarlen, Scott Wise plus the boutique builders would give you quite a collection. We still acknowledge the Queen as our Head of State too, so yeah...the door's open mate, gin's in the cupboard and the beer's already in the fridge for when you get here

:cheers:

The Big Kahuna
04-10-2013, 11:42 PM
Kahuna, I got a better idea

Our Australian flag is pretty much the Union Jack with a few dots around it...I'll send you my ukes instead...plus, heaps of awesome builders here...Allen McFarlen, Scott Wise plus the boutique builders would give you quite a collection. We still acknowledge the Queen as our Head of State too, so yeah...the door's open mate, gin's in the cupboard and the beer's already in the fridge for when you get here

:cheers:

Totally on my way dude! I'd love to spend a weekend around a campfire with you, playin' Uke and drinkin' Gin.

And stamping on spiders.

barefootgypsy
04-11-2013, 01:12 AM
I sort of figured that everyone would realise that this was the point of the ENTIRE post.Unfortunately, most of the rest of the world just doesn't understand irony. Fortunately eugeneukulele does.... can I come and join the campfire with you two please? What a night that would be! I reckon there'd be some very interesting discussion and definitely stomach-ache from laughing..... bring it on!

Oh, and mine's a G&T...... :D

Tootler
04-11-2013, 01:18 AM
I sort of figured that everyone would realise that this was the point of the ENTIRE post.

Some didn't seem to get it. :uhoh:

AndrewKuker
04-11-2013, 01:38 AM
Ok, you guys have your fun for now, but in a few hours some white dudes on the mainland are gonna wake up and be horribly offended.

The Big Kahuna
04-11-2013, 01:44 AM
Ok, you guys have your fun for now, but in a few hours some white dudes on the mainland are gonna wake up and be horribly offended.

Why should today be any different ;)

ukuhippo
04-11-2013, 02:03 AM
All Hawaiian Uke manufacturers are ordered to send their entire stock to me

George Osborne is going to love you.

The Big Kahuna
04-11-2013, 02:27 AM
George Osborne is going to love you.

The feeling won't be reciprocated, trust me.

stevepetergal
04-11-2013, 03:08 AM
Hey, I say we burn all these flags, (mine [USA] included) and raise the new Nation of Ukulele flag to rule them all. No more love/hate relationships. Love/Love instead.

AndrewKuker
04-11-2013, 03:51 AM
I was just making light of the fact that I bet there were no Hawaiians offended by the original post. Sure Brad can come talking about an overthrow of the Hawaiian kingdom and burning bridges and everyone can get all serious, but what about being perceptive to the contextual nature and sensitive to the overall vibe here.
If he poked fun at any race it would be his own, which you're allowed to do. To not even be Hawaiian and presume that Bk's original comment would offend them would be as silly as me being offended for the Portuguese by Chuck's comment. I'm sure I could implicate all kinds of things if I wanted to twist them up in that way. C'mon people..nobody is here to offend. Don't be so quick to put that light on it.
And I apologize to all white dudes on the mainland. No offense intended. In fact, I'm just like you. (when I'm on the mainland) Forums like this are nice when you can converse with people all over the world. We are all one human race. Hopefully the net can help make those connections so people can work towards this realization. This video discusses that empathetic development-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7AWnfFRc7g&feature=share&list=PL39BF9545D740ECFF

Telperion
04-11-2013, 04:25 AM
I was just making light of the fact that I bet there were no Hawaiians offended by the original post. Sure Brad can come talking about an overthrow of the Hawaiian kingdom and burning bridges and everyone can get all serious, but what about being perceptive to the contextual nature and sensitive to the overall vibe here.
If he poked fun at any race it would be his own, which you're allowed to do. To not even be Hawaiian and presume that Bk's original comment would offend them would be as silly as me being offended for the Portuguese by Chuck's comment. I'm sure I could implicate all kinds of things if I wanted to twist them up in that way. C'mon people..nobody is here to offend. Don't be so quick to put that light on it.
And I apologize to all white dudes on the mainland. No offense intended. In fact, I'm just like you. (when I'm on the mainland) Forums like this are nice when you can converse with people all over the world. We are all one human race. Hopefully the net can help make those connections so people can work towards this realization. This video discusses that empathetic development-

All very well said, Andrew. Cheers!

-Steve

The Big Kahuna
04-11-2013, 04:56 AM

-Steve

This ^^^^^

guitharsis
04-11-2013, 06:00 AM

-Steve

Yes, definitely! Great video too. Thanks for sharing.

Ambient Doughnut
04-11-2013, 06:02 AM
There are some lovely folk here but yeah - irony's a bit risky. Outside the UK they think it means 'like iron'. ;)

(shamelessly nicked off Terry Pratchett)

Telperion
04-11-2013, 06:23 AM
"Ambient Doughnut" has got to be one of the best screen names on this forum! I wasn't so creative with mine.

Ambient Doughnut
04-11-2013, 06:34 AM
I was in CO-OP one day and they were selling 'Ambient Doughnuts'. The ludicrousness of the description stuck with with me. True story...

:)

The Big Kahuna
04-11-2013, 06:59 AM
I was in CO-OP one day and they were selling 'Ambient Doughnuts'. The ludicrousness of the description stuck with with me. True story...

:)

Aaaaah....Cafe Del Mar Confectionery

808boy
04-11-2013, 07:07 AM
Eh, Kahuna,
How come you humbug? Your sense of humor sometimes gets too close to da border, not da first time yeah?
Some of your posts get peoples blood pressure up, if they don't know you. Me, I know you just Kolohe, Au'we!

Hippie Dribble
04-11-2013, 08:16 AM
Hey, I say we burn all these flags, (mine [USA] included) and raise the new Nation of Ukulele flag to rule them all. No more love/hate relationships. Love/Love instead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7AWnfFRc7g&feature=share&list=PL39BF9545D740ECFF
thanks for the wisdom you guys, great stuff :)

haolejohn
04-11-2013, 08:24 AM

As a haole guy in Hawaiian Studies, just trying to inform you before bridges burn.

+1,000,000 X infiniti

haolejohn
04-11-2013, 08:33 AM
I know Big Kahuna meant the post with humor.
I also know how it could offend people.
I just discovered that no matter what you say or how you intend it, someone can always be offended.
Unfortunately I can not go through life not talking:)

The Big Kahuna
04-11-2013, 09:09 AM
I also know how it could offend people.

Well I'd sure appreciate it if you'd explain it to me. And, presumably, to the bunch of people who've sent me messages on here and on Facebook, wondering how anyone could so completely misinterpret or misread a post that they get their panties in a bunch.

haolejohn
04-11-2013, 09:27 AM
Well I'd sure appreciate it if you'd explain it to me. And, presumably, to the bunch of people who've sent me messages on here and on Facebook, wondering how anyone could so completely misinterpret or misread a post that they get their panties in a bunch.

Do your study of Hawaiian history. I guess I am like the Hippie Guy. You really have to understand the Hawaiian perspective. I found the post humorous. Notice I said I know how it could offend people.

If you were to spend some time learning the Hawaiian History as told by Hawaiians and not the history books, you would see what I mean. I know this stuff happened many years ago. Way before we were thought of but a whole people group was almost eradicated. They were told their culture was substandard. Unfortunately it started with the British empire and carried over to the American Govt.

My panties aren't n a bunch. I don't wear underwear so hard to make nothing get into a bunch.

I'm just stating that I know you meant no harm, but i can easily see how people could be offended.
I have been calling a motorcycles made in Japan a certain name for about 30 years. I never thought of it as offensive. I have heard it called this same name numerous times. However it was brought to my attention that it was offensive. Somewhere, somehow any and all things can be found offensive to some people.

Does all that make sense? I'm trying to explain it, but I really wasn't offended so my heart isn't into the explanation.

Kamanaaloha
04-11-2013, 11:12 AM
<Facepalm>

Haole guys lecturing the masses about being sensitive to the plight of the hawaiian...I am hawaiian! Stop! Eeef u no get tick skin...vote wit da rubbah slippahs...no read!

I learned a very valuable saying while venturing from my oyster that was Punahou School to broaden my horizons at Konawaena, only to finish where I started...being called haole by asians (light hair but 1/4 kanak)...it goes like this for all you wimpy folk...

"Why, boddah you?

DON'T LET IT!"

very wise words, imho.

Hippie Dribble
04-11-2013, 11:38 AM
I think ^ Kamanaaloha's post ^ is a good place to put this to bed.

Sometimes on the forum I'm reminded of Churchill's old saying "one people separated by a common language"

Unfortunately this is one of those threads where no matter how much the embers die down, there's always gonna be someone else in line to pour petrol on em.

With respect to all posters, I'm gonna close it now as the points have been well made on both sides of the debate. Feel free to PM me if you take issue.

Cheers folks.