Why did I not think of this before...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Big Kahuna

Reaction score
The Hawaiian flag has the Union Jack in the top corner...the flag of The United Kingdom.

"Ukulele" begins with the letters "UK"

Coincidence ? I think not.

I hereby claim back the Ukulele as the national musical instrument of the British people and demand that all quality instruments be repatriated. All Hawaiian Uke manufacturers are ordered to send their entire stock to me, or face invasion by pasty white beer drinking British tourists who will do nothing but sit in the sun until they are bright red and complain about the sandwiches.

Havent you already lost this war like 3 centuries ago? Gonna drop this topic like a bad habit. LOL

Nice try, but yes, coincidence. :) The choice of the name " 'ukulele" had nothing to do with the British, and since there are so relatively few letters in the Hawaiian alphabet, the odds of UK showing up in a Hawaiian word are not astronomical. For what it's worth, the Hawaiian word ukiuki also begins with the letters UK, and it means "anger, resentment."

This thread sent me to Wikipedia to find out how the Union Jack got on the Hawaiian flag.

Interesting history between the British and the Hawaiians. Sort of a love/hate relationship. Take for example what happened to Captain Cook. He was revered as a reincarnation of the god Lono, but then was stabbed to death, his body was cooked and his salvaged bones were revered like religious icons.

Strange.

Sort of a love/hate relationship.

From Hawaiʻi Magazine:
The Kanaka Maoli—or "native Hawaiian"—flag (right) is said to have been Kamehameha’s personal flag long before the modern Hawaiian flag. British navy Captain Lord George Paulet destroyed it when he took control of Hawaii for five months in 1843.

us-hi_1.gif

Iʻll add that topics like this are incredibly insensitive to the Hawaiian people. It would behoove you all to look up the overthrow of the Hawaiian Kingdom and history leading up to it before you commit yourself to a thread along these lines.

As a haole guy in Hawaiian Studies, just trying to inform you before bridges burn.

Last edited:
Yeah, SH is the starting letters in Shame, as in Shame on You. SH could stand for "sh*t head" too, lol. I'll forever defend Hawaii Nei...........

Last edited:
Iʻll add that topics like this are incredibly insensitive to the Hawaiian people. It would behoove you all to look up the overthrow of the Hawaiian Kingdom and history leading up to it before you commit yourself to a thread along these lines.

Cute intention of the thread but Brad is correct., it's very insensitive.

And BTW, the Madieran "machete" only became 'ukulele after it was built in Hawaii. And even then it was known more as the "taro patch fiddle". The guitar builders and wood workers aboard the Ravenscrag had no idea what an "ukulele" was until they landed in Hawaii. The first reference to "ukulele" was sometime between 1891 and 1895 depending upon whom you read, a dozen or so years after the Portuguese landed.

Of course the sandwiches are delicious, these ARE the Sandwich Islands...

Seriously, no disrespect intended. I love living here, and I try to learn as much as I can about the culture and the people, and learn as much traditional music as I can as my way of honoring and respecting the people and the `aina. I also happen to LOVE Hawaiian music, and really enjoy singing and playing it. I strive to do it justice, especially since I am not a native. My wife does have Native Hawaiian blood though, so I guess I get a small pass, right?

Of course the sandwiches are delicious, these ARE the Sandwich Islands...

Seriously, no disrespect intended. I love living here, and I try to learn as much as I can about the culture and the people, and learn as much traditional music as I can as my way of honoring and respecting the people and the `aina. I also happen to LOVE Hawaiian music, and really enjoy singing and playing it. I strive to do it justice, especially since I am not a native. My wife does have Native Hawaiian blood though, so I guess I get a small pass, right?

Aloha Bruddah,
Gotta hook up the next time I'm in Ewa Beach. My Fiance's Ohana is there. We normally stay in Waikiki but go holoholo all ovah da place..........................Bo.............

Ok however misguided the "brit" was...it was funny...because it was so entirely silly!

As for the overthrow part...that is touchy...

Make music be merry and stop the political stuff...the world has way too much of it!

Last edited:
... we could all show homage by requesting favourites like "Cleaning Windows" whenever we hear a player who hails from England?

Please! Please! No! :mad:

I get enough of that as it is. :wallbash:

Kahuna, I got a better idea

Our Australian flag is pretty much the Union Jack with a few dots around it...I'll send you my ukes instead...plus, heaps of awesome builders here...Allen McFarlen, Scott Wise plus the boutique builders would give you quite a collection. We still acknowledge the Queen as our Head of State too, so yeah...the door's open mate, gin's in the cupboard and the beer's already in the fridge for when you get here

:cheers:

Kahuna, I got a better idea

Our Australian flag is pretty much the Union Jack with a few dots around it...I'll send you my ukes instead...plus, heaps of awesome builders here...Allen McFarlen, Scott Wise plus the boutique builders would give you quite a collection. We still acknowledge the Queen as our Head of State too, so yeah...the door's open mate, gin's in the cupboard and the beer's already in the fridge for when you get here

:cheers:

Totally on my way dude! I'd love to spend a weekend around a campfire with you, playin' Uke and drinkin' Gin.

And stamping on spiders.

I sort of figured that everyone would realise that this was the point of the ENTIRE post.
Unfortunately, most of the rest of the world just doesn't understand irony. Fortunately eugeneukulele does.... can I come and join the campfire with you two please? What a night that would be! I reckon there'd be some very interesting discussion and definitely stomach-ache from laughing..... bring it on!

Oh, and mine's a G&T...... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom