wagner safe t planer

This one has been available for years. It is NOT a Wagner, but an inexpensive import knock-off. The original manufacturer retired and discontinued making them. The Wagner is a fantastic tool, I was fortunate to aqquire 3 new ones with a stock of replacement cutters. I don't think I could function without one.

Nobody took over the original business, I'm not sure why. It might be because many are purchasing the import version and don't want to pony up for the higher price. I've been tempted to purchase one of the imports and do a review of it to compare to the original. I have heard reports of poor performance in the past from the import, but don't know firsthand. There are many aspects of the original that may or may not have been "copied" in the knock-off version. one example would be that the original Wagners use a special air-hardening tool steel cutter that can't be de-tempered by grinding. Usually you end up getting what you pay for.

Buyer beware.

I'd love to hear some more first-hand reports on tyhis one because I continually use the Wagner to demonstrate many instrument construction techniques.

I learned about the Wagner after it was discontinued, and eventually picked up on eBay. At first I had serious doubts, thinking for sure that I was overpaying. But there is no buyers remorse here - I love it. I'd be curious to hear how the knock-off performs. Twice as curious to hear about knock-off replacement cutters, as I only have the ones that came with the planer. They are durable, but nothing lasts forever.

I have the leichtung workshop version and have bought replacement cutters from duro in the past.
I wanted a spare so I ordered this tool from them. it appears to be a well made copy of the original.

I learned about the Wagner after it was discontinued, and eventually picked up on eBay. At first I had serious doubts, thinking for sure that I was overpaying. But there is no buyers remorse here - I love it. I'd be curious to hear how the knock-off performs. Twice as curious to hear about knock-off replacement cutters, as I only have the ones that came with the planer. They are durable, but nothing lasts forever.

I have a knockoff purchased on www.woodworker.com. Works great.
I love the little tool but it sure makes a mess. Time to shop vac when you're done!

I have a knockoff purchased on www.woodworker.com. Works great.
I love the little tool but it sure makes a mess. Time to shop vac when you're done!

Thanks, I've often wondered about the import version. I've been tempted to buy the import and do a side by side comparison to see if the real-life functionality like cutter edge durability, resistance to any possibility of kick-back, etc. are the same. I've been using the Wagner for a LOT of years. Here's a uke top being surfaced:

UkePic12.jpg

Top Bottom