FS: Mainland Mahogany Concert, with slotted headstock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steveperrywriter

Reaction score
Mainland Mahogany Concert, with slotted headstock. This is the no-frills model, solid wood, gloss-finish, bone nut and saddle, Rosewood fretboard and bridge, Aquila strings with a wound Low-G. (The back, front, and sides are each one piece.)

Comes with the tear-drop "hard" case, and it's pretty much mint -- I've had it two months.

Why am I selling it? Because I'm a newbie dolt. I have a not-very good Kohala soprano I got at a charity auction, and decided if I was gonna play uke, I needed to upgrade to a decent entry-level instrument. So I did the research, went to a couple of local shops and strummed a C and G chord, and decided that a Concert-size Mainland was the way to go.

I was wrong.

Mostly I play classical guitars, and those two-inch-wide fretboards give you all kinds of room. I needed a tenor. Which I got. (One of the images is of them side-by-side, so you can see.)

Both of these have what I think are great sounds, although I have switched to Worth Browns on the tenor to make it more mellow, and I'm keeping that one until I can afford to upgrade to a handmade uke. Eventually …

There's a link to a sound file: http://youtu.be/5u0kV2isH4k

You'll have to excuse my crappy playing and the crappy recording, but you can get an idea of what it sounds like. Which is, I am told, a lot better than the price indicates.

This 'ukulele runs $240 new, the case $45, and I'll ship this one inside the continental U.S. for $185. Paypal, so you have minimal risk.

Attachments

• Uke1.jpg
    Uke1.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 192
  • Uke3.jpg
    Uke3.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 255
  • Uke4.jpg
    Uke4.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 162
  • Uke6.jpg
    Uke6.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 179
  • Uke2.jpg
    Uke2.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 144
Steve it's such a neat looking uke...I wish I was outta debt...:(

Had one just like it but I was "afraid" of it because it was my first solid wood uke. Traded it and still regret it.

That IS a sweet price but it's not meant for me right now. Someone better snap this up.

Hey neighbor!

Hey steve, we're neighbors. Fellow PDX'er here and Mainland owner as well. I bought a classic Mainland tenor like yours in December but with matte finish and the rope details. I love the sound but I got a cheap Lanikai concert for Christmas, which I have been playing that more than the tenor because I like the size. Shameful huh?

Anyways, I might be interested in a local purchase of your concert if I can try it out. I like the looks of the slotted headstock. I'm also interested in doing a side by side comparison with the lanikai concert. I could bring my Mainland along as well just for kicks.

I've only been playing uke about 6 months and am a guitar player as well. I might have time this weekend if you're free. PM me if so and perhaps we can make arrangements. At very least we could gain a local uke connection.

-Andrew

How thick is the neck? Is it on the thin side? thick side?

where did you get this from?

Hi Steve,
Interested in the uke, long time lurker on these forums, first time poster. Where did you get this uke from? Was it new or 2nd hand? Thought I heard some fret buzz in the you tube, but that may have been user error.

Thanks,
Joe

Neck

How thick is the neck? Is it on the thin side? thick side?

Not sure what you'd compare it to -- next to my classical guitar it is a toothpick. And it's thinner than the tenor. More a shallow D than a C in profile, but I haven't played enough different kinds to be much of a judge.

Hi Steve,
Interested in the uke, long time lurker on these forums, first time poster. Where did you get this uke from? Was it new or 2nd hand? Thought I heard some fret buzz in the you tube, but that may have been user error.

Thanks,
Joe

Joe --

I got it new from Mainland, it is player error -- reason I needed the tenor is I can't squinch my fingers tight enough to play the concert. Plus I haven't been playing but a few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom