PDA

View Full Version : FS: Mainland Mahogany Concert, with slotted headstock

Steveperrywriter
04-10-2013, 10:57 AM
Mainland Mahogany Concert, with slotted headstock. This is the no-frills model, solid wood, gloss-finish, bone nut and saddle, Rosewood fretboard and bridge, Aquila strings with a wound Low-G. (The back, front, and sides are each one piece.)

Comes with the tear-drop "hard" case, and it's pretty much mint -- I've had it two months.

Why am I selling it? Because I'm a newbie dolt. I have a not-very good Kohala soprano I got at a charity auction, and decided if I was gonna play uke, I needed to upgrade to a decent entry-level instrument. So I did the research, went to a couple of local shops and strummed a C and G chord, and decided that a Concert-size Mainland was the way to go.

I was wrong.

Mostly I play classical guitars, and those two-inch-wide fretboards give you all kinds of room. I needed a tenor. Which I got. (One of the images is of them side-by-side, so you can see.)

Both of these have what I think are great sounds, although I have switched to Worth Browns on the tenor to make it more mellow, and I'm keeping that one until I can afford to upgrade to a handmade uke. Eventually

There's a link to a sound file: http://youtu.be/5u0kV2isH4k

You'll have to excuse my crappy playing and the crappy recording, but you can get an idea of what it sounds like. Which is, I am told, a lot better than the price indicates.

This 'ukulele runs $240 new, the case $45, and I'll ship this one inside the continental U.S. for $185. Paypal, so you have minimal risk.

Nickie
04-10-2013, 11:10 AM
Steve it's such a neat looking uke...I wish I was outta debt...:(

BillMo
04-10-2013, 12:30 PM
The newspaper makes it feel like a ransom. Nice price though

Steveperrywriter
04-10-2013, 12:40 PM
The newspaper makes it feel like a ransom. Nice price though

Yeah, that time-stamp thingee to show she's still alive.

Send money or we'll start breaking her strings ...

ukemunga
04-10-2013, 12:40 PM
Had one just like it but I was "afraid" of it because it was my first solid wood uke. Traded it and still regret it.

That IS a sweet price but it's not meant for me right now. Someone better snap this up.

librainian
04-11-2013, 09:16 PM
Hey steve, we're neighbors. Fellow PDX'er here and Mainland owner as well. I bought a classic Mainland tenor like yours in December but with matte finish and the rope details. I love the sound but I got a cheap Lanikai concert for Christmas, which I have been playing that more than the tenor because I like the size. Shameful huh?

Anyways, I might be interested in a local purchase of your concert if I can try it out. I like the looks of the slotted headstock. I'm also interested in doing a side by side comparison with the lanikai concert. I could bring my Mainland along as well just for kicks.

I've only been playing uke about 6 months and am a guitar player as well. I might have time this weekend if you're free. PM me if so and perhaps we can make arrangements. At very least we could gain a local uke connection.

-Andrew

neurorolex
04-12-2013, 09:40 PM
Would you send to Melbourne Australia?

Steveperrywriter
04-14-2013, 05:40 PM
Would you send to Melbourne Australia?

If you want to pay shipping costs.

Captain America
04-17-2013, 04:42 AM
How thick is the neck? Is it on the thin side? thick side?

Ambient Doughnut
04-17-2013, 05:14 AM
That looks lovely! I'd have it if it was in the UK. Not going to be really worth it after shipping and duties though. :(

listenatjoes
04-17-2013, 04:19 PM
Hi Steve,
Interested in the uke, long time lurker on these forums, first time poster. Where did you get this uke from? Was it new or 2nd hand? Thought I heard some fret buzz in the you tube, but that may have been user error.

Thanks,
Joe

Steveperrywriter
04-18-2013, 08:21 PM
How thick is the neck? Is it on the thin side? thick side?

Not sure what you'd compare it to -- next to my classical guitar it is a toothpick. And it's thinner than the tenor. More a shallow D than a C in profile, but I haven't played enough different kinds to be much of a judge.

Steveperrywriter
04-18-2013, 08:26 PM
Hi Steve,
Interested in the uke, long time lurker on these forums, first time poster. Where did you get this uke from? Was it new or 2nd hand? Thought I heard some fret buzz in the you tube, but that may have been user error.

Thanks,
Joe.

Joe --

I got it new from Mainland, it is player error -- reason I needed the tenor is I can't squinch my fingers tight enough to play the concert. Plus I haven't been playing but a few weeks.

listenatjoes
04-19-2013, 02:15 AM
Steve,
Very interested, PM sent.

Thanks,
Joe

Steveperrywriter
04-19-2013, 11:57 AM
Sold it. Thanks, folks.