PDA

View Full Version : So...was anybody else...

OldePhart
04-10-2013, 11:09 AM
...having withdrawal symptoms today?

I usually peruse the forum while munching a sandwich at lunch and was a bit lost with the forum down today. I sure am glad it came back up in time for dinner!

John

caukulele
04-10-2013, 11:20 AM
Yes, for me I open the forum in the morning with my cup of coffee before going to work...what a quiet morning today....Really missed it...Glad it is back up again.

hawaii 50
04-10-2013, 11:25 AM
Yeah John..

might not be a good way to practice..but I have my laptop in front of whn I practice..one song then UU and over again.maybe that's why I such a lousy player..lol

Stevelele
04-10-2013, 11:27 AM
Yes, the symptom for me was that I got more stuff done

...having withdrawal symptoms today?

I usually peruse the forum while munching a sandwich at lunch and was a bit lost with the forum down today. I sure am glad it came back up in time for dinner!

John

Hippie Dribble
04-10-2013, 11:36 AM
he he...slept through it all. Every now and then I'm thankful for the timezone differences. :p

OldePhart
04-10-2013, 11:39 AM
Yeah John..

might not be a good way to practice..but I have my laptop in front of whn I practice..one song then UU and over again.maybe that's why I such a lousy player..lol

I can kind of relate. I would doubtless be a much better player if I posted less (what, something like 2500 posts a year right now? LOL) and played more but on the other hand I learn so much from this forum and am inspired by others to do stuff I'd otherwise probably not even think about. (I avoided "jazz" on guitar for almost twenty years but Dougf's videos in the seasons challenge have kind of prompted me to start stretching in that direction a little bit.)

John

BigSkyUkuleleGirl
04-10-2013, 11:41 AM
Yes, I was quite lost today without UU, glad it's back.

kvehe
04-10-2013, 11:46 AM
Yes, the symptom for me was that I got more stuff done

:agree: I accomplished way, way more than I usually do. LOL.

Steedy
04-10-2013, 12:07 PM
It was awful, I actually had to do some work to pass the time at work. :)

TG&Y
04-10-2013, 12:51 PM
Down again today? I didn't notice thanks to my neighbor down the road slicing through my phone/dsl line while digging a post-hole. Doh!

But I was definitely missing the forum when it was down a few days ago. Wonder what's up with the recent instability?

Dan Uke
04-10-2013, 12:55 PM
It could be that adsense is temporarily suspended, which was probably their main source of income. They should start a membership drive to raise funds

TG&Y
04-10-2013, 01:04 PM
It's on a coin-operated timer?

It could be that adsense is temporarily suspended, which was probably their main source of income. They should start a membership drive to raise funds

ukemunga
04-10-2013, 01:12 PM
Yes. My OCD exploded!!!

Seriously though, I have a routine of going from one blog/forum to the other in pretty much the same sequential order many times a day. I't's how I spend a few minutes between tasks in a little down time. I've never really added up the minutes a day I spend, but during a typical "work day" it probably doesn't add up to more than 30 minutes if that.

Food forum, gadget blog, FB, this forum, Costa Rica forum, and a couple of others now and then. I guess I like routine... and when it breaks it's just not normal. And I don't like it.

Barbablanca
04-10-2013, 01:19 PM
Sings: "Cold Turkey.... had got me..... on the run!" :)

Tootler
04-10-2013, 01:20 PM
Never noticed it was down. Been busy. Had a look first thing this morning, then didn't look again till late evening. First I knew was when I looked at this thread.

mm stan
04-10-2013, 01:36 PM
It felt eerie and empty...like a ghost forum.....holy crap....what would you do without UU forums...it is my fix for the mornings... wish they had a back up server if that is even possible... :)

Nickie
04-10-2013, 01:43 PM
I didn;t even know it...was busy playing piano badly and cleaning house...had to come to work early too...whew...

DewGuitars
04-10-2013, 01:49 PM
It was awful, I actually had to do some work to pass the time at work. :)

Roger that! I was missing it too.

electrauke
04-10-2013, 03:08 PM
Yes, it was down a few days ago and I posted that I was having withdrawals. Then today I went ballistic. " I cannot take it!!!" If it is down tomorrow I will die :)

Doc_J
04-10-2013, 04:02 PM
It felt eerie and empty...like a ghost forum.....holy crap....what would you do without UU forums...it is my fix for the mornings... wish they had a back up server if that is even possible... :)

Me too Stan. Saw it was done for a while.

But it seems to be running faster/smoother now.

bluesuke
04-10-2013, 04:12 PM
It was a bad morning I have coffee and read the boards every day. But not today it just didn't seem right

coolkayaker1
04-10-2013, 04:17 PM
I thought I was banned.

Tigeralum2001
04-10-2013, 04:22 PM
Anyone know why so many outages lately?

Mandalyn
04-10-2013, 04:27 PM
I learned a new song on the downtime! It has been a few weeks since I have learned something completely new. :)

Katz-in-Boots
04-10-2013, 04:39 PM
he he...slept through it all. Every now and then I'm thankful for the timezone differences. :p

Me too! Sometimes it's a blessing.

KimosTherapy
04-11-2013, 01:58 AM
Anyone know why so many outages lately?

It's funny how much time a LOT of people spend here on the UU Forums ... practically LIVE here constantly browsing the various Forums and Posting on many, many Threads. Not to mention that there's a WEALTH of ukulele information here on the UU and the opportunity to make many, many friends, too.

Then the UU site has problems every now and then and goes down for periods of time and all of a sudden, people here admit how lost they feel without the UU because the UU Forums are a BIG part of our day - each and every day.

I have a major gripe with an issue I see here on the UU Forums. I'll probably get some grief about what I'm going to say ... but, whatever.

It's that there are many here who have bookoo/buku (don't know the correct spelling) Posts (Which means they spend a LOT of time here) and those who have many high end production and custom ukes who have no shame letting everyone know that they have so many high end ukes and deep pockets ... but don't even think about helping the UU Forums stay up and running by becoming a UU V.I.P. Member, which helps with a small donation of the amount of $5 per month or $45 per year - one time annual payment.

For those who are on a fixed income or simply just don't have the financial means to help support the UU Forums, I'm not speaking about you.

My hat's off to those of you who do contribute to the UU Forums and are V.I.P Members and choose to continue to support the UU to keep this awesome site up and running. Good on you! Mahalo nui loa for your kokua and for giving back.

Just my :2cents:

bborzell
04-11-2013, 06:24 AM
My browsers have reported errors related to inability to translate "raw data". That sounds like a problem with the hosting service. I checked out a Twitter feed for one of the site administrators and noted several communications with their host service with the general tone of, "you guys said this was fixed, but it keeps going down. Please get it resolved."

Lalz
04-11-2013, 07:14 AM
I actually have the opposite problem, there's so much going on that I can't keep up! I get busy for a few days and can't check the forum then when I come back I get really overwhelmed.

DHutto
04-11-2013, 08:04 AM
I actually have the opposite problem, there's so much going on that I can't keep up! I get busy for a few days and can't check the forum then when I come back I get really overwhelmed.

I'm the same way... I try to keep up, but there is so much going on it's hard to keep up at times.

Dan Uke
04-11-2013, 08:41 AM
It's funny how much time a LOT of people spend here on the UU Forums ... practically LIVE here constantly browsing the various Forums and Posting on many, many Threads. Not to mention that there's a WEALTH of ukulele information here on the UU and the opportunity to make many, many friends, too.

Then the UU site has problems every now and then and goes down for periods of time and all of a sudden, people here admit how lost they feel without the UU because the UU Forums are a BIG part of our day - each and every day.

I have a major gripe with an issue I see here on the UU Forums. I'll probably get some grief about what I'm going to say ... but, whatever.

It's that there are many here who have bookoo/buku (don't know the correct spelling) Posts (Which means they spend a LOT of time here) and those who have many high end production and custom ukes who have no shame letting everyone know that they have so many high end ukes and deep pockets ... but don't even think about helping the UU Forums stay up and running by becoming a UU V.I.P. Member, which helps with a small donation of the amount of $5 per month or $45 per year - one time annual payment.

For those who are on a fixed income or simply just don't have the financial means to help support the UU Forums, I'm not speaking about you.

My hat's off to those of you who do contribute to the UU Forums and are V.I.P Members and choose to continue to support the UU to keep this awesome site up and running. Good on you! Mahalo nui loa for your kokua and for giving back.

Just my :2cents:

Great point Kimo...I agree.

Karasu
04-11-2013, 08:46 AM
It's that there are many here who have bookoo/buku (don't know the correct spelling) Posts ...

Beaucoup

:)

coolkayaker1
04-13-2013, 04:23 PM
many high end production and custom ukes who have no shame letting everyone know that they have so many high end ukes and deep pockets ... but don't even think about helping the UU Forums stay up and running by becoming a UU V.I.P. Member, which helps with a small donation of the amount of $5 per month or $45 per year - one time annual payment.

I'll tell you my situation. Kimostherapy, as has been posted many times--you must have missed the memo, lol--when UU takes off the mandatory recurring credit card payments on UU VIP, they'll have some (me included) more UU VIP members. See old threads for explanations. That said, I don't try to tell UU Admin their business; they make decisions daily and feel recurring membership is best for them.

Also, has been mentioned by UU Admin in the past, UU VIP is optional.

I'm a UU+ Ed Center/Lessons member, which does not have a recurring payment. 110 clams a year. You?
I've bought about $200+ in UU Merch over the past year. You? Nongdam, you?

Some people don't need merit badges for ways they support. Biggest support for UU is "eyeballs" on the website and ads. Cost: nothing.

Sounds like you, not UU Admin, judge people on whether they have a UU VIP on their moniker. Be a uniter, not a divider, brother Kimo.

Focus on yourself, don't frustrate yourself with your limited understanding of others, and you'll sleep much more soundly at night.

Dan Uke
04-13-2013, 05:03 PM
Good point Steve,

I am a culprit as well as I've been promoting UU as I spend so much time on it trying to get people to contribute so that we dont have hiccups or worse, they close due to a lack of funds. There are other ways to contribute as you have pointed out. We just need to constantly remind people of UU VIP, and UU+, and possibly other ways to keep this website running

I'll tell you my situation. Kimostherapy, as has been posted many times--you must have missed the memo, lol--when UU takes off the mandatory recurring credit card payments on UU VIP, they'll have some (me included) more UU VIP members. See old threads for explanations. That said, I don't try to tell UU Admin their business; they make decisions daily and feel recurring membership is best for them.

I'm a UU+ Ed Center/Lessons member, which does not have a recurring payment. 110 clams a year. You?

Some people don't need merit badges for ways they support. Biggest support for UU is "eyeballs" on the website and ads. Cost: nothing.

Sounds like you, not UU Admin, judge people on whether they have a UU VIP on their moniker. Be a uniter, not a divider, brother Kimo.

Focus on yourself, don't frustrate yourself with your limited understanding of others, and you'll sleep much more soundly at night.

KimosTherapy
04-20-2013, 06:39 AM
Beaucoup

:)

Ho, Bruddah Karasu!

Mahalo fo responding wit da correct spelling! I nevah have time fo look em up ... but I jus' did now. French origin. COOL!!!:cool:

KimosTherapy
04-22-2013, 04:17 PM

Ho, Bruddah Steve!

I tried over the weekend to respond to your Post twice ... but each time I got interrupted by something that came up, but eventually came back to the computer to finish my Post and would click on "Post Quick Reply" once I finished, only to find out that the site timed out on me. It erased everything I had typed each time! Darn! After the 2nd time, I said forget it. I had too many things to do this past weekend and I don't spend that much time here on the UU anymore.

First off, I know your situation. You intended to sign up for VIP ... but instead signed up for UU+ which is a much higher cost thinking that you signed up for VIP.:biglaugh: But you chose to go ahead with the one year commitment with UU+. I know that you feel "Funny Kine" about recurring payments. No problem. Be like Ahnko Stan (mm stan), da UU God Father - send in a check. It's that easy.

Secondly, I know that UU VIP is optional. I never did say that it is mandatory.

Again, I know that you signed up for UU+ by accident thinking that you were signing up for VIP. In the end, you chose to just go with UU+ because you were charged for it. Good on you and thank you for contributing to the UU! Oh, by the way - didn't your UU+ membership expire last month?

Brah, I apologize if you feel that I was singling you out. That was not my intention. No beef with you brah. I am just questioning those who spend way too much time here on the UU Forums with beaucoup Posts and those who have many high end ukes in their signature but don't even contribute to the UU to help the site stay up and running. Obviously, these members have the $$$ and or a lot of time on their hands to be posting so many Posts on the various Forums/Threads that obviously the UU takes up a BIG part of their day - every single day.

I personally don't like the "VIP" moniker. To me it suggests that VIP members have "Privileges" over non paid members. Maybe having an asterisk next to our Username would suffice. No need for any special treatment.

If you feel taking ... and taking ... and taking is a good thing, so be it. That's your perspective.

I've posted my exact feelings on another Thread and I know many have seen it. Only 1 member - one - publicly posted in response to my post thanking me for reminding him to sign up for VIP immediately because he had been procrastinating for a long time. He realized how much the UU has helped him learn about the uke and how valuable the site is. I know others followed through and became contributors as well. Mahalo nui loa to those of you who did.

The way I see it, I have benefited from all of the information here on the UU Forums from the UU Staff - to the awesome experienced/knowledgeable luthiers - to complete strangers - to the many fellow uke enthusiasts the world over who share the love for this fun little instrument. It's a no brainer for me to help the UU stay up and running by contributing and giving back in a small way. That's the least I can do.

I appreciate everything the UU offers us. The UU is a part of each and every one of us who spends time here. I know that for many here, the UU is a part of their everyday lives. Just like the morning paper and your morning cup of coffee. Just like our cell/smart phones and the internet. Gotta have it.