tuning tenor vs soprano

powerharp

Reaction score
Okay...this may be a stupid question..... I'm in the process of getting reacquainted with Uke after 50 years.... I have a small banjo uke that I tune to standard tuning using an online uke tuner. I'm restoring a tenor and hope to string it this weekend. Since it's a tenor, I assume that I tune it an octave lower than the soprano. The question is asked assuming that I won't initially use a low G on the top string. There is at least one site that has the tuning tones for soprano ukes....... Can anyone refer me to a site that has the tones for a tenor?

I'm a very competent harmonica player and about 6 months away from performing on a tenor sax, so I do have the musician's gene...sort of.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Last edited:
Even if you use a low G, typically the other three are tuned the same as the soprano, not all four strings down an octave. I think you would find the strings unplayable tuned that low. If you are not using a low G all the notes are the exact same as soprano.

The G string (whether tuned high or low) is the BOTTOM string. The A string is the TOP string.

I see so many people get this backwards that others start to believe them.

I think it depends on how you look at it, right? If you are visualizing it in the manner you hold it (assuming you are right handed) wouldn't it be on the top? Of course if you keep the head pointing the same direction and turn it so it faces you then it would be on the bottom. And then the chord charts always depict it 90° from there: with the head facing up and the g on the left c,e and a to follow to the right.

I think it depends on how you look at it, right? If you are visualizing it in the manner you hold it (assuming you are right handed) wouldn't it be on the top? Of course if you keep the head pointing the same direction and turn it so it faces you then it would be on the bottom. And then the chord charts always depict it 90° from there: with the head facing up and the g on the left c,e and a to follow to the right.

No. High a is the top string. Its pitch not position that matters.

Top Bottom