PDA

View Full Version : Peterson Strobe clip on with "Uke sweetened tuning"?

billcarr
04-10-2013, 11:55 PM
I got the above tuner just yesterday and it will take a little while to get used to the strobe.

However..I have been using it both in standard mode and sweetened uke mode. From what I can gather, so far, the only difference is that in uke mode it tunes the G string on my tenor about 3 cents flat as compared to standard mode.

There may be other slight differences but I think they must be so small that I can't hear it making any difference to the overall sound.

This is a very accurate tuner but I am not 100% convinced that it's not overkill... not yet anyway.

Bill

Edit... And the battery that came with it is dead after 1 day. No telling how long the unit was sitting before I bought it. but I do wish I could turn off the back lighting on this tuner. It probably drains the small lithium battery very fast.

Bill

hawaii 50
04-11-2013, 03:26 AM
Bill
I have one too..
I like it make sure you use the sustain mode..

but my cherub has a better feature where you can drop each note plus or minus up to +50 or -50

stevepetergal
04-11-2013, 03:33 AM
Yeah, it's my opinion it's overkill.

hawaii 50
04-11-2013, 03:37 AM
Yeah, it's my opinion it's overkill.

what don't you like about yours?
but it does everything if you had 10 different kinds of instruments<< haha..looks real nice... nice box and chrome Lol

billcarr
04-13-2013, 04:48 AM
Well that didn't last long- After 2 days it started playing up, very unstable and the backlighting went dead. I thought it might be the factory battery so I bought a new one. Used it once to tune my uke after that but now its totally dead. Yet another new battery installed but it shows no sign of life at all.

I have contacted the seller to see what he can do about it. If they offer me a refund I might just take it. The Peterson Strobesoft app for iPhone is just as good a tuner.

Bill

hawaii 50
04-13-2013, 04:50 AM
Wow Bill I have had mine for 2 weeks I like it so far very precise tuning..i hope mine doesn't die on me..let me know if they exchange it for you

mm stan
04-13-2013, 05:03 AM
Glad I did not pop for one yet....I love my cherub man...battery lasts at least 4-5 months....and love the features

bborzell
04-13-2013, 05:09 AM
?..The Peterson Strobesoft app for iPhone is just as good a tuner.

Bill

Yeah, but it takes a lot of duct tape to keep my iPhone on the headstock.

hawaii 50
04-13-2013, 05:16 AM
Yeah, but it takes a lot of duct tape to keep my iPhone on the headstock.

Haha good one..
I hear crazy glue works good..

ScooterD35
04-13-2013, 05:25 AM
Well that didn't last long- After 2 days it started playing up, very unstable and the backlighting went dead. I thought it might be the factory battery so I bought a new one. Used it once to tune my uke after that but now its totally dead. Yet another new battery installed but it shows no sign of life at all.

I have contacted the seller to see what he can do about it. If they offer me a refund I might just take it. The Peterson Strobesoft app for iPhone is just as good a tuner.

Bill

Contact Peterson directly. Their customer service is excellent, they really stand behind their product. I had a Stroboclip that went bad and called them. Basically, I gave them a credit card number, they sent me a new tuner in a pre-paid return box so I could send them back the defective unit. As long as they get the bad tuner back, they don't charge the card.

I like mine very much although I keep away from the "sweetened" tunings. They sound great when playing alone, but if you play with others you will be ever so slightly out of tune.

Scooter

Patrick Madsen
04-13-2013, 07:48 AM
Which Cherub model did you buy Stan? Looking for a tuner as mine is not doing it's job.

808boy
04-13-2013, 08:08 AM
Which Cherub model did you buy Stan? Looking for a tuner as mine is not doing it's job.

Bruddah Stan is reffering to the WST-550C model. I have 5 of these and love them. Thanks for the tip Stan............
Oh, batteries for these (CR2032), 5 for a dollar at any 99cent or dollar store............

hawaii 50
04-13-2013, 08:09 AM

Pat our friend Stan gave me one of his and I like it ,,to really fine tune ukes..I have bad eyes let me give you the model #WST-550C..I hope you can find one

808boy
04-13-2013, 08:18 AM
Pat our friend Stan gave me one of his and I like it ,,to really fine tune ukes..I have bad eyes let me give you the model #WST-550C..I hope you can find one

Aloha Bruddah,
Sun's Gift Shop (forgot what number kiosk) on Dukes Lane off of Kuhio has them for $15.00 but got them for $13.00. Just tell her you bought one online on ebay from her store for $13.00, free shipping. Nice lady............

hawaii 50
04-13-2013, 08:30 AM
Aloha Bruddah,
Sun's Gift Shop (forgot what number kiosk) on Dukes Lane off of Kuhio has them for $15.00 but got them for $13.00. Just tell her you bought one online on ebay from her store for $13.00, free shipping. Nice lady............

I was wondering where bruddah Stan gets all his tips from now I see thxs Bo..

hope to meet up with when you come visit Stan

808boy
04-13-2013, 08:33 AM
I was wondering where bruddah Stan gets all his tips from now I see thxs Bo..

hope to meet up with when you come visit Stan

Be there in July, Ryrod gonna be there too and I'm gonna try to put together a UU Day in Hawaii Nei. Maybe you can help too. More info to follow or PM me for ideas. Lunch at a park?...........

hawaii 50
04-13-2013, 08:52 AM
Be there in July, Ryrod gonna be there too and I'm gonna try to put together a UU Day in Hawaii Nei. Maybe you can help too. More info to follow or PM me for ideas. Lunch at a park?...........

OK Stan the guy to get involved,,I can see if Dan(ukestah) can go..Kakaako Ocean/beach Front Park beautiful..lots of parking benches ocean view green rolling hills..

I can bring Stan if he up for it..I know many UUers here Pueo,Kelliyama,MGM(but he always working)Andrew(but he always working) if it around the Ukulele festival many UUers from the mainland too,,

I can help but try get bruddah Stan involved too you know him he like this kind stuff

Patrick Madsen
04-13-2013, 09:34 AM
Thanks guys will order oe.

PedalFreak
04-13-2013, 10:21 AM
I love my Peterson, get around 4 months on the battery. I've never had any issue with mine. And the company is great, if you were to have a problem I'm sure they'll take care of you :)

808boy
04-13-2013, 11:06 AM
OK Stan the guy to get involved,,I can see if Dan(ukestah) can go..Kakaako Ocean/beach Front Park beautiful..lots of parking benches ocean view green rolling hills..

I can bring Stan if he up for it..I know many UUers here Pueo,Kelliyama,MGM(but he always working)Andrew(but he always working) if it around the Ukulele festival many UUers from the mainland too,,

I can help but try get bruddah Stan involved too you know him he like this kind stuff

Bruddah Stan knows about this. I mentioned it to him a few months ago and he's good to go, health pending....

UkeKiddinMe
04-13-2013, 11:08 AM
I use the Kala clip on tuner. It's great.

billcarr
04-13-2013, 09:41 PM
Contact Peterson directly. Their customer service is excellent, .......

Scooter

Great idea! Thank you! The seller asked me to send it back to him in Canada (I am in Norway) but after reading your post I have registered it on the Peterson website and filled in the online form explaining the prob. Lets see what happens.

Bill

billcarr
04-16-2013, 08:59 AM
Well I never..... Peterson replied with an apology and are sending me a new tuner. They don't even want the defect one in return.

Bill

ScooterD35
04-16-2013, 09:12 AM
Well there you go... actual customer service!

Scooter

uker62
04-22-2013, 03:42 PM
I agree....my clip broke on mine...emailed Peterson at 11pm...by 11:30 they got back to me and mailed me a new part...free.
Great service.

Tigeralum2001
04-22-2013, 04:07 PM
UPS just dropped off my Peterson; can't wait to play with it!

Nickie
04-22-2013, 05:10 PM
I love my Petrerson....I'm spoiled, don't like other tuners. I see people leaving them on when they play...do you guys that are burning up batteires turn them off after tuning? I never leave mine on, and the battery has only been changed once in over 2 years...and it's used a lot...

Newportlocal
04-22-2013, 05:13 PM
UPS just dropped off my Peterson; can't wait to play with it!

Lucky guy! I really want one, but I am on a self imposed financial fast saving for a custom.

hawaii 50
04-22-2013, 05:15 PM
Well I never..... Peterson replied with an apology and are sending me a new tuner. They don't even want the defect one in return.

Bill

Oh No Bill..how many defective Petterson tuners are going to be showing up now..Lol
mine if fine so I guess I just have one.. Haha

Dan Uke
04-22-2013, 07:59 PM
Ouch, I just looked them up online and didn't realize how expensive they are...I'm gonna tune my ukes with my cheapos and hopefully the off pitch notes will match my off pitch voice.

bazmaz
04-22-2013, 10:24 PM
Love my Peterson. Battery not died in months using it. Agree the clip is a little flimsy, but the quality of the tuning is unmatched

Jon Moody
04-23-2013, 12:13 AM
Love my Peterson. Battery not died in months using it. Agree the clip is a little flimsy, but the quality of the tuning is unmatched

It depends on the model you get. I had purchased a StroboClip a couple of years back and it broke on me. Contacted Peterson and talked with their CS. Turns out it was an issue, so they retooled the piece and sent me out a new one. The new piece is easily twice as thick as the old one, and is made with carbon fiber (so I was told), so it should last longer. Wouldn't be surprised though if, since there's not a huge market for $80 clip on tuners, if the old clips are still out on store shelves.

billcarr
05-06-2013, 07:04 AM
I have had the Peterson clip on for a few weeks now. Its accurate for sure but I can't get used to the strobe at all. I keep going back to the $8 made in China I bought on Ebay. The strobe dances around too much for me and I can read it as flat or sharp, unable to decide really. I made a video clip of the 2 tuners with the uke tuned using the el cheapo. Its just easier and quicker to use for me (A rank beginner). I especially have probs tuning E with the Peterson. No doubt about it. Its a great tuner but maybe for more advanced players than myself-

Bill

http://youtu.be/yJyyeyAOcJQ

Newportlocal
05-06-2013, 07:26 AM
I have had the Peterson clip on for a few weeks now. Its accurate for sure but I can't get used to the strobe at all. I keep going back to the $8 made in China I bought on Ebay. The strobe dances around too much for me and I can read it as flat or sharp, unable to decide really. I made a video clip of the 2 tuners with the uke tuned using the el cheapo. Its just easier and quicker to use for me (A rank beginner). I especially have probs tuning E with the Peterson. No doubt about it. Its a great tuner but maybe for more advanced players than myself-

Bill

http://youtu.be/yJyyeyAOcJQ

Thanks for posting that.

hawaii 50
05-06-2013, 08:10 AM
Yes my Petterson does what my other tuners do..except for my cherub
if you want to go plus or minus from 10 to 50 for each note..you need a cherub..nothing is close..

CTurner
05-06-2013, 09:08 AM
Those of you using Cherub: what is the difference between the C and U models, other than price? Can't quite figure it out on their website.

hawaii 50
05-06-2013, 09:13 AM
Those of you using Cherub: what is the difference between the C and U models, other than price? Can't quite figure it out on their website.

you want the WST-550C..I have no clue what the U model does

if you just tune your uke GCEA you don't need a cherub..
that is why I was surprised that the Petterson does not do what a cherub does..

CTurner
05-06-2013, 09:17 AM
you want the WST-550C..I have no clue what the U model does

This is really good to know. I do D tuning linear and F re-entrant on some ukes, so the Cherub C sounds like an interesting thing to try.

Much thanks.

Jon Moody
05-07-2013, 12:23 AM

C = Chromatic, so you get all 12 notes.
U = Ukulele, so it's set only for GCEA.

They both tune instruments, so yes, the Peterson does EXACTLY what the Cherub does. The Peterson can also go from 400-490 in terms of how you want to detune your instrument, which again, is a larger range than the Cherub. What doesn't impress me about the Cherub is that it's got a 1 cent range of accuracy, meaning when you're in tune with the tuner, anywhere from A=439-441 is considered acceptable for the unit. The Peterson has a .1 cent range of accuracy, which is a LOT better for my needs of gigging 5-7 nights a week. I also have a couple of NS Mini tuners that work fantastic as well, and take up little to no space.

Personally, buy whatever tuner you find useful to your needs, but don't poo-poo other brands. At the end of the day, the only TRUE way to make sure you're in tune is by listening and using your ears; the tuner only catches metrics and still can't tell you how you fit in an ensemble.

mm stan
05-07-2013, 02:30 AM
The Cherub WST550C has a full digital readout which is a better feature to make even for the beginnner simpler to read immediately....no other tuner does that even the peterson....believe me..
I do know how to take full advantage of this feature and prefer the Cherub among all other brands...none can compare,,,,Get the WST 550C Dont look just at the name brand and a high price
and think it's the best....I am sure the peterson is a good and accurate tuner too, just missing some good features .Happy strummings

Cooper Black
05-07-2013, 02:59 AM
Personally, buy whatever tuner you find useful to your needs, but don't poo-poo other brands. At the end of the day, the only TRUE way to make sure you're in tune is by listening and using your ears; the tuner only catches metrics and still can't tell you how you fit in an ensemble.

^This! Emphatically!

Thanks billcarr for that video. You saved me some $$ I think.

I once hired the piano tuner from Davies Symphony Hall in SF to tune my lowly spinet (because the shop was close and the guy was available). It took three sessions to pull the piano into pitch and a fourth to get it in tune.

Over the sessions, this guy began testing my pitch sensitivity and showed me how to listen for upper harmonics (and use those to temper the overall keyboard).

Watching the video, I realized I "see" pitch much the same way the Peterson displays it, as a moving wavy thing with multiple harmonic peaks. There is no "E".

I use tuners to bring myself into pitch, and then I carefully sweeten by ear. What if I got a Petereson and disagreed with its idea of the sweet spot? LOL I could see that happening, so I think I'm going to keep using my ears.

mm stan
05-07-2013, 03:28 AM
^This! Emphatically!

Thanks billcarr for that video. You saved me some $$ I think.

I once hired the piano tuner from Davies Symphony Hall in SF to tune my lowly spinet (because the shop was close and the guy was available). It took three sessions to pull the piano into pitch and a fourth to get it in tune.

Over the sessions, this guy began testing my pitch sensitivity and showed me how to listen for upper harmonics (and use those to temper the overall keyboard).

Watching the video, I realized I "see" pitch much the same way the Peterson displays it, as a moving wavy thing with multiple harmonic peaks. There is no "E".

I use tuners to bring myself into pitch, and then I carefully sweeten by ear. What if I got a Petereson and disagreed with its idea of the sweet spot? LOL I could see that happening, so I think I'm going to keep using my ears.

that is what I do...but to record consistant readings, the cherub is the easiest to do...isn't that one of it's good features none of other tuners can do... :)
Yes beyond the glitzy, flashy, features, the Peterson is a well made tuner just missing some of main feature functions...

hawaii 50
05-07-2013, 05:24 AM
that is what I do...but to record consistant readings, the cherub is the easiest to do...isn't that one of it's good features none of other tuners can do... :)
Yes beyond the glitzy, flashy, features, the Peterson is a well made tuner just missing some of main feature functions...

Hey Stan..I agree with all you say about the Cherub

I have a Petterson and a Cheurb..but my ears are not perfect like the Cherub "poo-poo" guys..so I need to use the tuner..maybe if/when I become as good them I won't need a tuner too...Lol

Btw how many of you have both a Cherub and a Petterson?

mm stan
05-07-2013, 05:41 AM
Aloha Lenny,
I think many discount the cherub for many reasons...probally it's a reasonable priced tuner and when they get it, they have no idea how to make full use of all it's features....so sad
Yes I use it for ballpark tuning and use my ears for fine tuning the pitch.....but it also can be used to copy and record tunings which is its best assets for beginners in alternate tunings..
maybe the most under rated tuner, but if you learn how to benefit it's features....it is a real asset....

hawaii 50
05-07-2013, 05:55 AM
Aloha Lenny,
I think many discount the cherub for many reasons...probally it's a reasonable priced tuner and when they get it, they have no idea how to make full use of all it's features....so sad
Yes I use it for ballpark tuning and use my ears for fine tuning the pitch.....but it also can be used to copy and record tunings which is its best assets for beginners in alternate tunings..
maybe the most under rated tuner, but if you learn how to benefit it's features....it is a real asset....

Yes Stan..I never knew what the Cherub did until I got one from you..Thxs and for sure I never would of bought one myself,
it is a one of a kind..I bet you on the UU maybe 5 people have one...haha

Jon Moody
05-07-2013, 05:07 PM

You could make the exact same argument that recording readings is a glitzy, flashy feature of the Cherub, because no other tuner does it. Is that innovative, or something that no other company saw value in? That's ultimately up to the person using the tuner. Some want that feature, and that's great. Some don't, and THAT'S OKAY TOO.

I have a Petterson and a Cheurb..but my ears are not perfect like the Cherub "poo-poo" guys..so I need to use the tuner..maybe if/when I become as good them I won't need a tuner too...Lol

You realize we all use tuners, right? However, if you're playing with a piano (not a keyboard) and you tune to your tuner and the piano is a bit flat (which is fairly common because tuning pianos isn't something everyone knows how to do), who's the one that's really in tune? Because in that instant, it's not you. If you're playing your uke outside in the summer, chances are it'll go flat quickly. Are you going to stop a song and say "Hey guys, I have to retune this" or are you going to use your ears and adjust on the fly?

Again, use whatever tuner is useful for your needs. For my purposes, the accuracy of the Peterson tuner is more important than anything else. That may not be the case with you, and that's perfectly fine. But a good tuner is still nothing but a machine grabbing the vibrations from a headstock and telling you how closely in tune it is, which will NEVER replace your set of ears.

mm stan
05-07-2013, 05:33 PM
You could make the exact same argument that recording readings is a glitzy, flashy feature of the Cherub, because no other tuner does it. Is that innovative, or something that no other company saw value in? That's ultimately up to the person using the tuner. Some want that feature, and that's great. Some don't, and THAT'S OKAY TOO.

You realize we all use tuners, right? However, if you're playing with a piano (not a keyboard) and you tune to your tuner and the piano is a bit flat (which is fairly common because tuning pianos isn't something everyone knows how to do), who's the one that's really in tune? Because in that instant, it's not you. If you're playing your uke outside in the summer, chances are it'll go flat quickly. Are you going to stop a song and say "Hey guys, I have to retune this" or are you going to use your ears and adjust on the fly?

Again, use whatever tuner is useful for your needs. For my purposes, the accuracy of the Peterson tuner is more important than anything else. That may not be the case with you, and that's perfectly fine. But a good tuner is still nothing but a machine grabbing the vibrations from a headstock and telling you how closely in tune it is, which will NEVER replace your set of ears.

Believe me the cherub is not flashy, it more about a certain feature I Like to me basically....and even if it's not accurate, I fine tune with my ears at the end anyways.. I really like it for it's
easy to read readout and for it's size basically....I cannot say I tried a tuner with a better digital readout....not sure if you tried one or assuming, but to make full use of the features or capabilities
you'd have to figure it out and not use it for the simple basic tasks you do and expect too much if you do not know...I really don't need a accurate tuner as I tune by my ears too...it's basically
for jotting down tunings to keep a record for me in alternate tunings....if you are not big on it, so be it...get a snark or intell...No big thing.. this is just my preference...

billcarr
05-07-2013, 10:05 PM
Woe !! Some of you guys are passionate about tuners :-) Just an observation. I put a new battery in the Peterson to replace the one that came with it. It was about at 25% capacity. It is much more stable now and I can get the strobes to pretty much stand still. Placebo effect? I don't know.

BTW I also do some final tuning by ear. Basically to get the A on the G string, second frett to exactly match the A string.

Bill

Jon Moody
05-08-2013, 12:04 AM
Woe !! Some of you guys are passionate about tuners :-) Just an observation. I put a new battery in the Peterson to replace the one that came with it. It was about at 25% capacity. It is much more stable now and I can get the strobes to pretty much stand still. Placebo effect? I don't know.

BTW I also do some final tuning by ear. Basically to get the A on the G string, second frett to exactly match the A string.

Bill

All headstock tuners are dependent upon where you have them on the headstock. There is a "sweet spot" that will yield more accurate results as well as having a new battery, provided you have the real estate to move it around a little.

Jon Moody
05-08-2013, 03:48 AM
I put a new battery in the Peterson to replace the one that came with it. It was about at 25% capacity. It is much more stable now and I can get the strobes to pretty much stand still. Placebo effect? I don't know.

As another option, you can try the SUSTAIN mode on the Peterson; read about it in the manual here (http://www.petersontuners.com/media/pdf/PetersonStroboClipEnglish.pdf). It might help you, given the sharp attack and quick initial decay of the uke.

Cooper Black
05-09-2013, 02:57 AM
You realize we all use tuners, right?

*shrug* I use an electronic tuner maybe once a month. I keep everything in tune, and I know instantly when I'm out (or if someone else is out). I do not have perfect pitch, but my sense of pitch has improved tremendously over thirty years of playing.

My favorite way to tune is for the whole group to strum open strings and come together orchestra style. This is better than individual "sweetenings" and better than perfect temperment, because the group will adjust to each others' overtones and become "sweet" as a whole.

7warriorlion
05-09-2013, 04:53 AM
The Cherub WST550C has a full digital readout which is a better feature to make even for the beginnner simpler to read immediately....no other tuner does that even the peterson....believe me..
I do know how to take full advantage of this feature and prefer the Cherub among all other brands...none can compare,,,,Get the WST 550C Dont look just at the name brand and a high price
and think it's the best....I am sure the peterson is a good and accurate tuner too, just missing some good features .Happy strummings
http://www.cherubtechnology.com/product_detail.php?id=114&id1=32&id2=0
The first auto clip-on tuner of its kind in the world.Patent number: 201220531671.7
Features:
AUTO power on once clipped onto a headstock.
AUTO power off when removed from the headstock.
AUTO power off in 5 minutes.

http://www.tuners.com/product_info.php?cPath=19&products_id=147&osCsid=fq6pp546425n1dqaheejpsigb2
This works for me, no more batteries.
Cheers!

hawaii 50
05-09-2013, 05:01 AM
The first auto clip-on tuner of its kind in the world.Patent number: 201220531671.7
Features:

http://www.tuners.com/product_info.php?cPath=19&products_id=147&osCsid=fq6pp546425n1dqaheejpsigb2
Cheers!

Thanks for the link..if you go to the Cherub site
search for WST-550C,,I found it in the products section and click on, clip on tuners..pictures show the tuning scale..

mm stan
05-09-2013, 10:44 AM
Features:

Cheers!

thank you for the link...oh no they might discontinue the Wst550C for this shitty common readout model.. better buy a few more just in case...thank you :)