PDA

View Full Version : Mainland Ukuleles

bucky_joe
04-11-2013, 07:56 AM
Greetings,

I'm about to buy a Mainland tenor w/ a ceder top - online site unseen.

Please warn me if you feel this would be a mistake.

GRINZ!

buck

The Big Kahuna
04-11-2013, 08:10 AM
If it's from Mainland themselves, no problem. The owner, Mike, is a very popular and highly respected member on the UU forum (Hoosierhiver).

Ok, so he looks like Robin Williams, but we can't all be perfect.

Bill Mc
04-11-2013, 08:17 AM
I gave a solid cedat top tenor to a grandson. A very nice instrument. You'll not regret your choice and Mike is an honest merchant that does not engage in any hype or shoddy practices. Great choice on your part.

Kayak Jim
04-11-2013, 08:35 AM
I don't think you're taking any more or less risk with Mainland than from any other reputable dealer. It's always better to buy in person but if that isn't an option go for it.

OldePhart
04-11-2013, 08:50 AM
About three years ago I was in your shoes. I already had a KoAloha concert but I finally let the good folks here talk me into trying a Mainland mango tenor and...

...now I own or have owned six Mainland ukes (seven if you count the concert that I turned into a resonator with a coffee can) - some purchased from Mike and some purchased second-hand - and none has been a lemon. In fact, the only one I don't still have and play regularly is the cedar tenor that I gave to my son-in-law because I just never bonded with it. That was not the uke's fault, by any means, it was a good instrument I just didn't care for the tone of the cedar as much as I do my others.

My absolute best uke is actually a Mainland satin mahogany soprano - it's my favorite even over my KoAloha. To be fair, I think it's one of those cases of getting really lucky because my other Mainland ukes, while excellent values, are more in line with my expectations for ukes in their price range while that one soprano outperforms almost everything I've laid hands on short of a couple of very expensive customs.

So, yeah, not much chance that you're making a mistake. :)

John

Captain America
04-11-2013, 09:19 AM
Excellent product.

I don't know much, haven't heard, how cedar sounds. I have a mahogany soprano which is a genuine ear-charmer.

haolejohn
04-11-2013, 09:22 AM
not a mistake. matter of fact, it could be seen as a mistake if you don't buy one:)

Mattyukaholic
04-11-2013, 09:22 AM
I love Mainlands. So much so I'm getting a mahogany soprano to go with my mango one.

Macmuse
04-11-2013, 09:51 AM
I know it should be sound over sight... I know this... but I don't think I could ever live with that rope on the headstock. Just doesn't float my boat.

If sound & sight work for you, like many others here, you will probably be quite happy with a Mainland. :)

(of course, this just means that when my UAS strikes I won't steal a Mainland out from anyone to satisfy the need... it will be some other wonderful uke out there that I target). ;)

KoaDependent
04-11-2013, 09:54 AM
If you find it's a mistake for you, it won't be an expensive one, as you'll easily find another buyer for it here or eBay. But it won't be a mistake.

You can find quite a few YouTube videos of people playing cedar Mainland tenors.

TG&Y
04-11-2013, 10:06 AM
I have a red cedar concert which I'm crazy about. Like to have the same in tenor one of these days. Unless Mike has gotten a shipment in (and hasn't updated his site) the tenors are out of stock.

As to the rope, I wasn't sure what I thought about the rope when considering the purchase, vaguely disliked it even, but it was love at first sight upon arrival. Totally dig it. FWTW

RichM
04-11-2013, 10:07 AM
The red cedars are particularly nice. I've owned three Mainlands, still own two. You will find a lot of Mainland fans here.

kvehe
04-11-2013, 10:21 AM
Do it!!!!!

teruterubouzu
04-11-2013, 10:47 AM
I'm doing the same. Emailed the other day to get in a wait list for when the next shipment comes in. Glad to read more good reviews!

roxhum
04-11-2013, 11:19 AM
I have a cedar/rosewood soprano Mainland and love it. I don't think you would be making a mistake.

Sporin
04-11-2013, 11:38 AM
I've heard nothing but good things about them sound and tone-wise. I wasn't personally sure about the rope binding either until a buddy got one (mahogany soprano) and, in person, it's really quite lovely.

I'm currently quite smitten with their spruce topped mahogany tenor. At $249 it sounds like a bargain.

http://shop.mainlandukuleles.com/product.sc;jsessionid=7C6489772CBF2CCA0739B003BE63 2B07.qscstrfrnt04?productId=76&categoryId=3

http://shop.mainlandukuleles.com/images/CONCERT%20SPRUCE%20TOP1.jpg

Shastastan
04-11-2013, 11:45 AM
The resonance is fantastic! No regrets from me at all. They are a pleasure to play.

As to the "rope". I'm not enthusiastic about it, but I just don't pay any attention to it and concentrate on the sound. Cosmetically, I like the abalone inlays on some ukes such as my Oscar Schmidt. Many people are very concerned about appearance but Mainlands are beautiful even with the "rope" and it doesn't have any effect on the sound that I know of.

ichadwick
04-11-2013, 12:18 PM
Mainland cedar topped tenor: beautiful, loud, great sound. A friend liked it so much, he borrowed it.... and ended up its owner. Now I want a baritone in the same wood, but they've been O/S for a long time.

OldePhart
04-11-2013, 12:26 PM
I know it should be sound over sight... I know this... but I don't think I could ever live with that rope on the headstock. Just doesn't float my boat.

Honestly, I can fully understand not liking the rope - I almost didn't let myself get talked into ordering that first Mainland precisely because I'm just not crazy about the rope binding. People assured me that it is not as...um, noticeable...in person as it seems to be in most pictures and I have to say that much is true. However, I'm still not a fan of the rope binding but I'm a sound/playability/value kind of guy so I live with it on five of my six Mainlands (the mahogany tenor is the slot head cutaway with plain white binding). :)

John

mm stan
04-11-2013, 01:57 PM
MAINLAND UKES are great sounding and with a good feel....you'll like them a lot....your bang for the buck tons of fun for sure....Go for it....Happy strummings

rpfrogner
04-11-2013, 03:01 PM
I agree with everyone else in the "go for it" area! I own 2 Mainland soprano's and love them. One red cedar and the other mango.

geelinus
04-12-2013, 12:50 AM
My Red Cedar tenor has excellent tone and playability. You will be very satisfied with a Mainland.

bucky_joe
04-25-2013, 10:11 AM
I'm doing the same. Emailed the other day to get in a wait list for when the next shipment comes in. Glad to read more good reviews!

Hey Uke Fans!

Thanks' so much for all the feedback. Each and everyone of you has been very helpful.
Ditto. I'll get on the wait list as well - see if they'll make me one.

grinz,

buck

stuben
04-25-2013, 02:30 PM
Recently I purchased a cedar concert pinapple from Mike, it has a surprising clarity and volume, and I'm very happy with it, I think its a great buy.
When I first saw the models with the rope binding a couple of years ago, it did not grab me either, but with time, my tastes have changed.
The pineapple is now prominently displayed on my living room wall as ukulele art, and it gets played a lot.
In addition, since its not a high dollar uke, I don't get queasy when my daughter or her friends (or my friends for that matter) pick up to goof around,
even though we have some Dolphins laying around for those type of "emergiencies".

Bucky
04-25-2013, 05:17 PM
Another fan...I have two, a soprano cedar pineapple and a mohogany concert. The concert uke sounds better than my two Pono's which both sound very good.

salukulady
04-25-2013, 05:53 PM
If it's from Mainland themselves, no problem. The owner, Mike, is a very popular and highly respected member on the UU forum (Hoosierhiver).

Ok, so he looks like Robin Williams, but we can't all be perfect.

Jerry Garcia.

tigersister
04-25-2013, 07:17 PM
It looks like the other members have already talked you into it.:) I wanted to add my endorsement, too. I have a cedar topped pineapple, purchased from UkeRepublic, and slot-headed mahogany concert, purchased directly from Mainland. I love them both. They are definitely keepers. I wouldn't hesitate to order from either UkeRepublic or Mainland. Both Mikes are a pleasure to work with.