Mainland Ukuleles

bucky_joe

Reaction score
Greetings,

I'm about to buy a Mainland tenor w/ a ceder top - online site unseen.

Please warn me if you feel this would be a mistake.

GRINZ!

buck

If it's from Mainland themselves, no problem. The owner, Mike, is a very popular and highly respected member on the UU forum (Hoosierhiver).

Ok, so he looks like Robin Williams, but we can't all be perfect.

I gave a solid cedat top tenor to a grandson. A very nice instrument. You'll not regret your choice and Mike is an honest merchant that does not engage in any hype or shoddy practices. Great choice on your part.

I don't think you're taking any more or less risk with Mainland than from any other reputable dealer. It's always better to buy in person but if that isn't an option go for it.

About three years ago I was in your shoes. I already had a KoAloha concert but I finally let the good folks here talk me into trying a Mainland mango tenor and...

...now I own or have owned six Mainland ukes (seven if you count the concert that I turned into a resonator with a coffee can) - some purchased from Mike and some purchased second-hand - and none has been a lemon. In fact, the only one I don't still have and play regularly is the cedar tenor that I gave to my son-in-law because I just never bonded with it. That was not the uke's fault, by any means, it was a good instrument I just didn't care for the tone of the cedar as much as I do my others.

My absolute best uke is actually a Mainland satin mahogany soprano - it's my favorite even over my KoAloha. To be fair, I think it's one of those cases of getting really lucky because my other Mainland ukes, while excellent values, are more in line with my expectations for ukes in their price range while that one soprano outperforms almost everything I've laid hands on short of a couple of very expensive customs.

So, yeah, not much chance that you're making a mistake. :)

John

Excellent product.

I don't know much, haven't heard, how cedar sounds. I have a mahogany soprano which is a genuine ear-charmer.

not a mistake. matter of fact, it could be seen as a mistake if you don't buy one:)

I know it should be sound over sight... I know this... but I don't think I could ever live with that rope on the headstock. Just doesn't float my boat.

If sound & sight work for you, like many others here, you will probably be quite happy with a Mainland. :)

(of course, this just means that when my UAS strikes I won't steal a Mainland out from anyone to satisfy the need... it will be some other wonderful uke out there that I target). ;)

Last edited:
If you find it's a mistake for you, it won't be an expensive one, as you'll easily find another buyer for it here or eBay. But it won't be a mistake.

You can find quite a few YouTube videos of people playing cedar Mainland tenors.

I have a red cedar concert which I'm crazy about. Like to have the same in tenor one of these days. Unless Mike has gotten a shipment in (and hasn't updated his site) the tenors are out of stock.

As to the rope, I wasn't sure what I thought about the rope when considering the purchase, vaguely disliked it even, but it was love at first sight upon arrival. Totally dig it. FWTW

The red cedars are particularly nice. I've owned three Mainlands, still own two. You will find a lot of Mainland fans here.

I'm doing the same. Emailed the other day to get in a wait list for when the next shipment comes in. Glad to read more good reviews!

I have a cedar/rosewood soprano Mainland and love it. I don't think you would be making a mistake.

The resonance is fantastic! No regrets from me at all. They are a pleasure to play.

As to the "rope". I'm not enthusiastic about it, but I just don't pay any attention to it and concentrate on the sound. Cosmetically, I like the abalone inlays on some ukes such as my Oscar Schmidt. Many people are very concerned about appearance but Mainlands are beautiful even with the "rope" and it doesn't have any effect on the sound that I know of.

Mainland cedar topped tenor: beautiful, loud, great sound. A friend liked it so much, he borrowed it.... and ended up its owner. Now I want a baritone in the same wood, but they've been O/S for a long time.

I know it should be sound over sight... I know this... but I don't think I could ever live with that rope on the headstock. Just doesn't float my boat.

Honestly, I can fully understand not liking the rope - I almost didn't let myself get talked into ordering that first Mainland precisely because I'm just not crazy about the rope binding. People assured me that it is not as...um, noticeable...in person as it seems to be in most pictures and I have to say that much is true. However, I'm still not a fan of the rope binding but I'm a sound/playability/value kind of guy so I live with it on five of my six Mainlands (the mahogany tenor is the slot head cutaway with plain white binding). :)

John

MAINLAND UKES are great sounding and with a good feel....you'll like them a lot....your bang for the buck tons of fun for sure....Go for it....Happy strummings

Top Bottom