Skate boards any one?

luckyends

Reaction score
So UU
i have now become a skater
or i enjoy riding skate boards (which seems stereo typical californian you know ukulele skate boards and what not...any way)

so has any one here ever made a skate board deck (or long board deck what ever)

i have a couple questions for you you guys
so first of all it seems that all the boards are made out of maple but my hard wear stores only carry birch and oak would that be ok?

second Q
so from what i have seen that most boards are made with 2 pieces of ply wood
im not that great of a crafts man...YET!
so i was wondering would it make a difference if i used just 1 piece of ply wood but made it the appropriate thickness
because it seems that the only reason people use the 2 pieces is to achieve a bend in the board which i dont care about to much for my first one that is

so thanks UU
hope you guys are having a good winter

Alex

I have never made a skateboard but use to skate alot when I was younger, ans still do sometimes. From what I understand they are not really made out of plywood, or what I consider plywood (like OSB), but out of 7 or 8 plys of wood. (I guess making it plywood) Professionally made boards are not made from 2 separate pieces of wood. Thet are curved as a part of the building process. I think I saw an episode of how its made on the discovery channel.

I also saw on Built to shred, fuel tv, guys making longboards out of old water skies. If you are going to make your own board I would just jump into. Different wood will offer different characteristics so it may just be a trial and error process. I would consider just buying a complete setup if you really want to tear up the streets though. I don't think they cost that much, but I haven't bought anything in years.

skateboards are normally made of 7 plys of Canadian Maple. There are a few long boards that are made of 8 ply - but the majority are 7 ply.

most guys that make their own longboards use baltis birch. lowes baltic birch has very thin veneers of birch with weak wood inside. real baltic only comes in 5 by 5 foot sheets. i weigh 135 and made a 50 inch longboard from a half inch thick peice and it is holding up fine. check out silverfish longboarding.com for a buttload of more information. good luck.

You should be in the Luthier Section, dude ;)

Ah, the good old days... I have a Blockhead Hard Times deck with Gullwing trucks and Ratbone wheels lying on my porch here. The good old days when a nose was a nose, and a tail a tail.Can't make heads nor tails (ha!) of those modern sticks that go whichever way you point them.

Btw, aim for rebuilding a 70s deck and your troubles about concave are over. Just saw out an ovalish shape, slam on some grip tape and wheels from your kid's rollerskates, and hit those banks, curbs, and supermarket isles!

I know this is a massive bump but I used to skateboard religiously until I decided to pass my board on to my friend Cameron after my favorite skate park shut down (in Alabama, that's akin to a skateboarding Armageddon because everyone here does BMX, blech). Sometimes I wonder if i'm meant to be Californian because i'm uber liberal and I play ukulele and I used to skateboard XD

use to skate everyday for about 4 years of my teens dunno why i stopped i have many fond memories of my skating days. these days if i get on my board i seem to have lost pretty much all my balance feels a lot harder (can still do a few tricks).

Skating use to be the only thing I did, wake up skate to the skatepark, skate all day hit up seven eleven take a break, go home for a nap, then hit up the next spot till 1 in in the morning on most.

I dont know any definite brands for long boards but the one my cuz has holds up pretty nice it just bends a lot when stepped on. Its a 8 ply.

most of the new street decks are 7-8 ply like they said andare put together with resin (super light glue)

Man I been through it all!! Skateboard, roller blades, scooter, bmx, moto, u name it, I'VE BEEN THERE!! I had the most fun skateboarding, however.

I haven't made one before, I have broken a few though.

I made a board in Jr. High School wood shop... what was that... 25? years ago... sheesh... i'm old.

anywho... it looked nice... I think it was mostly mahogany... broke the first time I rode it. :eek:

As an ex-wannabe-surfer (rode mostly my three skag 6 footer... but I was much lighter then), I really like the carving aspect when skateboarding... I got a couple Flolab boards (the ones with just a row of all wheel action)... they aren't great for tricks... but they carve like mad. I just have someone drive me up to the top of one of the local hills and carve down the streets for miles literally... watch out for cars tho.

Yeahh I skate :D

^^^ Why the hell would you make it from mahogany? lol...

to answer questions about making them... they're generally between 7 and 9 plys of Canadian Maple. Some have carbon fibre hearts. Makes no difference whatsoever, it's just marketing crap.

use to skate everyday for about 4 years of my teens dunno why i stopped i have many fond memories of my skating days. these days if i get on my board i seem to have lost pretty much all my balance feels a lot harder (can still do a few tricks).

Counts also for me, except the part of the tricks (I'll break some parts of my body for sure:p)

Top Bottom