"Not made from a cigar box" Cigar Box Uke, Concert Scale

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Newton

Reaction score
REDUCED PRICE! $250 including shipping to US lower 48.
I made the box from all solid Spanish Cedar braced with spruce, so it is a "Not made from a cigar box" Cigar Box Uke, with 100 year old cigar tags attached. Flush fret board neck of Honduras Mahogany, 13 frets, with violin peg tuners. 14-3/4" scale, Aquila 55U strings, wound 3rd. Sounds great, like one of my regular ukes! Set up & ready to go. No case, shipping extra.

cigar%201%20small.jpg

cigar%202%20small.jpg

Last edited:
"not made from cigar box cigar box uke" - I think my head just exploded! ;)

Seriously, I bet it sounds a lot better than a real cigar box uke. I'm surprised other's haven't done this with the current popularity of CB instruments...

John

Hi Phart.
Oh yes, cigar boxes are made of low-grade plywood. The good cigar box ukes have the top replaced with decent wood.
To heck with all that, I made mine of all-instrument grade wood, and all hide glued together.

Hi Phart.
Oh yes, cigar boxes are made of low-grade plywood. The good cigar box ukes have the top replaced with decent wood.
To heck with all that, I made mine of all-instrument grade wood, and all hide glued together.

Not all cigar boxes are made from cheap ply wood. The boxes I use are old redwood 1886 Samuel Davis boxes and they make outstanding ukes if you know how to do it.

I use Cohiba boxes they are the only ones i have found to be good solid honduran Mhg. Sand the sides thin and brace them right and they really are awesome sounding. Phil

Oh I didn't mean to trash real cigar boxes, and cigar box builders. My local source of cigar boxes is limited and I decided to use my unlimited pile of cut offs.
Hi K. It is X-braced with a patch & a cross brace above the hole.

Sometimes. :) We had a young fella trying to sell his uke for a long time. He used to "puuuuuusssssshhhhhhh" it about once a week - went on for months. Somebody finally took pity on him. :)

John

Fixed it for you.

Approximately 2 weeks ago I received a David Newton tenor. The build quality is first rate and the tone is amazing. The french polish is stunning and it plays effortlessly. While I've never played or heard this uke, I can say David is a highly skilled luthier and I suspect this is a great playing, lively ukulele with a great deal of tone hidden in that cigar box mojo. I can't imagine that anyone could find a higher quality instrument at twice the price.

Good luck with the sale Dave!

now we need to hear a sound bite so we know what we missed and can kick ourselves!

Great deal, if I did not have all these cigarbox parts lined up for my own builds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom