PDA

View Full Version : New Custom Sailor Brand uke!

Sporin
04-11-2013, 11:18 AM
Uke Republic/Sailor just posted this on Facebook, it's so beautiful!!!

Solid Spruce Top, Curly Maple Back & Sides w/ Black Translucent Stain, Purple Heart Binding, Abalone Rosette and Position Dots, Ebony Fingerboard & Bridge, Geared Tuners, Sailor Logo Inlay on Spruce Headplate, Bone Nut & Saddle.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.588555074502758.1073741825.178196065538663&type=1

I would not have guessed that the black stain would be so appealing but it almost looks like charcoal and with the spruce top and the purple (looks maroon to me) binding it's really a stunner. :iwant:

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/529553_588555287836070_799905329_n.jpg

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/625635_588555177836081_473555124_n.jpg

I don't hear much about Sailor on these forums, thoughts? opinions?

haolejohn
04-11-2013, 11:41 AM
Uke Republic/Sailor just posted this on Facebook, it's so beautiful!!!

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.588555074502758.1073741825.178196065538663&type=1

I would not have guessed that the black stain would be so appealing but it almost looks like charcoal and with the spruce top and the purple (looks maroon to me) binding it's really a stunner. :iwant:

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/529553_588555287836070_799905329_n.jpg

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/625635_588555177836081_473555124_n.jpg

I don't hear much about Sailor on these forums, thoughts? opinions?

I love Sailor Ukes. What is the stain for?

Kayak Jim
04-11-2013, 12:07 PM
That is stunning!

I wish Sailor would expand their tonewood choices. A few exceptions but most are spruce tops.

Sporin
04-11-2013, 12:17 PM
I love Sailor Ukes. What is the stain for?

Can't imagine it's "for" anything more then looks... and that's a big success in my opinion.

Sporin
04-11-2013, 12:24 PM
[mistaken post, deleted]

garyg
04-11-2013, 12:46 PM
I've played a few Sailor ukes at Mike's shop and they are very well made and sound and play very well. They are a very good buy although this one doesn't float my boat appearance-wise but there's no accounting for taste <g>.

mm stan
04-11-2013, 12:49 PM
Looks real nice and pore filled then stained....wow liking it very much

Sporin
04-11-2013, 01:03 PM
I've played a few Sailor ukes at Mike's shop and they are very well made and sound and play very well. They are a very good buy although this one doesn't float my boat appearance-wise but there's no accounting for taste <g>.

Yeah, it's for sure a "different" look... but I like it, very unique. :D :D

So here's a question... what does this mean...

Solid Poplar Back/Sides covered w/ Figured Maple Veneers

So is this considered an all solid wood uke? or do the veneers make it a laminate back and sides uke? (the top is solid spruce)

Susie A
04-11-2013, 01:06 PM
It's on the UR site at $344.00

http://cargo.ukerepublic.com/product/sailor-brand-spruce-smokey-maple-custom-soprano

If I hadn't just written big checks for my taxes today (yeah self-employment) I'd be really tempted to snap if up.

Sorry, this is not the same uke. The one with purple is a Tenor, this one is a Soprano.

Paul December
04-11-2013, 01:08 PM
The spruce top looks very Thick :eek:

Susie A
04-11-2013, 01:10 PM
I have a Sailor Uke and love it. Let me see if I can find pics. My favorite part is the neck profile .. lovely.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/p206x206/320504_281677275190541_1590809354_n.jpg

Back:
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/308305_281675511857384_1564414387_n.jpg

caukulele
04-11-2013, 01:10 PM
I think it's a real beauty. Would love to hear a sound sample.

SailQwest
04-11-2013, 01:14 PM
Sailors.... :swoon:

Sporin
04-11-2013, 01:21 PM
Sorry, this is not the same uke. The one with purple is a Tenor, this one is a Soprano.

By bad, thanks for sorting that out for me. :)

haolejohn
04-11-2013, 01:59 PM
Can't imagine it's "for" anything more then looks... and that's a big success in my opinion.

OK. I like it. I was at first wondering how that shadow got there. Then I read your post...yes I looked at the pics first...I was like wow. what a neat idea. That is one of the prettiest ukes I have laid my eyes on. I like it.

haolejohn
04-11-2013, 02:04 PM
Yeah, it's for sure a "different" look... but I like it, very unique. :D :D

So here's a question... what does this mean...

So is this considered an all solid wood uke? or do the veneers make it a laminate back and sides uke? (the top is solid spruce)
I hope my information is correct. It has been awhile since I got this from the horse's mouth. They use solid poplar and then place a layer of prettier wood veneer over the popular. It is one way that these ukes stay in the price range that they are in.
THese ukes are not a cheap import. They are an inexpensive American made ukulele.

Steedy
04-11-2013, 03:26 PM
Here's my little Sailor Brand Soprano from Uke Republic. Solid Cedar top with Eucalyptus back & sides, I love it!

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b362/slawson3/026.jpg (http://s23.photobucket.com/user/slawson3/media/026.jpg.html)

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b362/slawson3/020-1.jpg (http://s23.photobucket.com/user/slawson3/media/020-1.jpg.html)

I'd love to have a custom Sailor Brand Concert, maybe with open Grover geared tuners.

Nickie
04-11-2013, 04:54 PM
OOOH man, I wants me one like this...what a beauty!

I have a Sailor Uke and love it. Let me see if I can find pics. My favorite part is the neck profile .. lovely.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/p206x206/320504_281677275190541_1590809354_n.jpg

Back:
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/308305_281675511857384_1564414387_n.jpg

Paul December
04-11-2013, 05:56 PM
I hope my information is correct. It has been awhile since I got this from the horse's mouth. They use solid poplar and then place a layer of prettier wood veneer over the popular. It is one way that these ukes stay in the price range that they are in.
THese ukes are not a cheap import. They are an inexpensive American made ukulele.

Laminated is laminated.
Describing it as solid with veneer is misleading.

Dan Uke
04-11-2013, 06:20 PM

Not everything American made is nice. They should have used curly koa veneer but that's probably gonna raise the price. I rather buy a cheap import

Mandarb
04-12-2013, 03:45 AM
Sailors.... :swoon:

No, no - they are talking about the ukes. :)

Steedy
04-12-2013, 05:08 AM
Make no mistake, Sailor Brand ukuleles are nice ukes. Mike wouldn't sell them if they were not.

I spent an afternoon at the Uke Republic store, and played almost every uke in the shop. Those included Big Island, Kamoa, Ohana, & Pono ukes, but I left there with the one Sailor Brand uke that was in stock. It's simply and gorgeously made, and has the best intonation among all my soprano ukes. So I'm a satisfied customer, and wouldn't hesitate to buy another Sailor Brand uke.
Thank you Uke Republic! :shaka:

Susie A
04-12-2013, 05:18 AM
Make no mistake, Sailor Brand ukuleles are nice ukes. Mike wouldn't sell them if they were not.

I spent an afternoon at the Uke Republic store, and played almost every uke in the shop. Those included Big Island, Kamoa, Ohana, & Pono ukes, but I left there with the one Sailor Brand uke that was in stock. It's simply and gorgeously made, and has the best intonation among all my soprano ukes. So I'm a satisfied customer, and wouldn't hesitate to buy another Sailor Brand uke.
Thank you Uke Republic! :shaka:

I agree. My Tenor Sailor is a keeper. She sounds as nice as she looks.

Sporin
04-12-2013, 05:19 AM
Laminate or not they certainly look and sound (from YouTubes I've seen) like wonderful ukuleles... I just wanted to clarify that wording.

haolejohn
04-12-2013, 07:25 AM
Not everything American made is nice. They should have used curly koa veneer but that's probably gonna raise the price. I rather buy a cheap import

You can get one with Koa. THis is the good thing about the sailor. The options are just as plentiful as most customs. And I have played many of these little ukes. Their quality is better than most imports. They are made by quality American builders.

Uke Republic
04-12-2013, 07:35 AM
Thanks for all the kind words. I was smitten when I saw it completed, a real stunner. I hope to get some better pics of the back's striped maple.
Some new Sailors will be appearing this year. Working on a go anywhere Sailor Brand Ukulele that will be made in USA as well.
Blue Label Sailors coming out in May- Where the Tan-Map labels have the veneer on back and sides the Blue labels will be just one tonewood such as mango,tamarind,maple , etc.

5150ukulele
04-12-2013, 12:25 PM
What a stunning uke . I've had the pleasure to play several Sailor Ukes . Amazing top of the line luthier build in those babies . I'm no expert on Sailor ukes, but I am aware of the fact that they are available for custom orders of ANY configuration of tonewoods with equal quality and craftsmanship to boot .

I've pretty much just been for the most part a lurker on these forums since near inception and only actually logged on as a member recently . But with that said, I'm no green bean to the music industry and or instrument build from luthier efforts . The only flaw I have ever really found in the double handful of Sailor Brand ukes I've had the pleasure to play, is the simple fact that I am amazed they are so fairly priced . I'm largely considering giving this very uke a home here in my pile of ukes .

Hrrrmmmm . A definite runner up for my needs .

OH ! And as for laminate .......... As I mentioned before , I've spent tons of time lurking on these forums and have seen some really uneducated responses in regard to laminate and or veneer . I won't venture there just to keep the peace . But in real world lutheir reality in the very finest and top of the line classical, as well as other stringed instruments , a veenered instrument is quite frequently prefered by the very best skill levels of professional musicians the world over .

Not to be rude or anything . But if someone doesn't get the reasoning behind the fact that veneers on the right tonewoods often provides supereior tone and projection, they are pretty much unlearned of the facts .

I say a uke such as this might well be a good time for some to self educate. It's a great way to build and some of the highest end stringed instruments in the world are built this way for many positive reasons .

This one is a beauty . I might have to see if I can get in touch to at least inquire .

Paul December
04-12-2013, 12:32 PM
What a stunning uke . I've had the pleasure to play several Sailor Ukes . Amazing top of the line luthier build in those babies . I'm no expert on Sailor ukes, but I am aware of the fact that they are available for custom orders of ANY configuration of tonewoods with equal quality and craftsmanship to boot .

I've pretty much just been for the most part a lurker on these forums since near inception and only actually logged on as a member recently . But with that said, I'm no green bean to the music industry and or instrument build from luthier efforts . The only flaw I have ever really found in the double handful of Sailor Brand ukes I've had the pleasure to play, is the simple fact that I am amazed they are so fairly priced . I'm largely considering giving this very uke a home here in my pile of ukes .

Hrrrmmmm . A definite runner up for my needs .

OH ! And as for laminate .......... As I mentioned before , I've spent tons of time lurking on these forums and have seen some really uneducated responses in regard to laminate and or veneer . I won't venture there just to keep the peace . But in real world lutheir reality in the very finest and top of the line classical, as well as other stringed instruments , a veenered instrument is quite frequently prefered by the very best skill levels of professional musicians the world over .

Not to be rude or anything . But if someone doesn't get the reasoning behind the fact that veneers on the right tonewoods often provides supereior tone and projection, they are pretty much unlearned of the facts .

I say a uke such as this might well be a good time for some to self educate. It's a great way to build and some of the highest end stringed instruments in the world are built this way for many positive reasons .

This one is a beauty . I might have to see if I can get in touch to at least inquire .

In that case you can call me "unlearned" because I just don't buy it :rolleyes:

SamUke
04-12-2013, 12:55 PM
Are Sailor Brand ukes made by Loprinzi?

Paul December
04-12-2013, 12:59 PM
Are Sailor Brand ukes made by Loprinzi?
I guess the maker is Top Secret...
...why do you guess Loprinzi?

SamUke
04-12-2013, 01:19 PM
Cause the neck and most of the appointments are very Loprinzi.

dkcrown
04-12-2013, 01:34 PM
I think it is somewhat known that Loprinzi makes the Sailor brand.

5150. Are you saying that Poplar as a tonewood is worth veneering over? I know of only one maker that uses Poplar as a tonewood. I do agree with your premise though.

bborzell
04-12-2013, 03:07 PM
This is a photo I just took of page 6 of my copy of, "Making an Archtop Guitar" by Bob Benedetto. If anyone partaking in this discussion of tonewoods is unfamiliar with Benedetto, then it might be worthwhile to look him up. In short, what Benedetto has forgotten about the role of tonewoods in affecting tone of a stringed instrument is more than the entire body of knowledge of many who sing the praises of various wood species.

http://i315.photobucket.com/albums/ll468/bborzell/b365770d9170a374140ee8ebd030d1a5.jpg

The photo is of an archtop guitar he built using 2x10 construction grade pine planks for the carved top. He stated that it sounds as good as any guitar he has ever made using any other "tonewood". If you look closely, you will see knots in the pine along with weather checking. The back and sides were made from maple that would probably have been rejected by any of today's custom builders.

His point in making this guitar was that design and construction are what determine tonal quality. With respect to the tone quality of laminates, I have two jazz box guitars. One is laminate and the other is carved maple with a spruce top. Both sound great plugged in. The laminate is almost feedback proof and the carved solid wood guitar can take off and feedback without warning. Unplugged, the solid wood guitar is rich and full and the laminate is underwhelming. Two very different guitars with different capabilities. Where they meet is in build quality and when amplified. One is not otherwise inherently "better" that the other.

My guess is that the thin laminate on the solid poplar backs and sides of the Sailor ukes is simply to give some esthetic appeal to a wood that most woodworkers like to work with much more than they like to look at.
I still glance at a poplar bookcase that I built with a natural finish some 12 years ago and wonder when I will get used to it. Poplar has greenish and yellow strains running through it that can be trying to some eyes.

I would further guess that the tonal difference between a solid poplar Sailor uke and one that has the laminate added would be indistinguishable.

Dan Uke
04-12-2013, 03:16 PM
The way I read that is that the sound is as good as the pickup.

bborzell
04-12-2013, 03:33 PM
The way I read that is that the sound is as good as the pickup.

They are both P90s, but I would tweak that statement a bit to say that the solid carved instrument is a cannon that projects way better than the laminate. The lam tone unplugged is still quite pleasing, just not out there. I find the same to be true of mandolins. I don't have a lam top mando, but I have played them and found that the ones I played don't project as wellas a solid top.. My carved top Eastman can be felt deep in my gut.

And to be clear, the pine archtop is acoustic.

Dan Uke
04-12-2013, 03:57 PM
exactly, it doesnt sound as good unplugged cuz its not as good. Most luthiers hate pickups since it doesnt sound as good unplugged...many will say the instruments will sound only az good as the pickup.

They are both P90s, but I would tweak that statement a bit to say that the solid carved instrument is a cannon that projects way better than the laminate. The lam tone unplugged is still quite pleasing, just not out there. I find the same to be true of mandolins. I don't have a lam top mando, but I have played them and found that the ones I played don't project as wellas a solid top.. My carved top Eastman can be felt deep in my gut.

And to be clear, the pine archtop is acoustic.

bborzell
04-12-2013, 07:50 PM
exactly, it doesnt sound as good unplugged cuz its not as good. Most luthiers hate pickups since it doesnt sound as good unplugged...many will say the instruments will sound only az good as the pickup.

My guitars are not necessarily representative of solid wood vs. laminated guitars. The differences I describe are in volume and projection, as opposed to a measure of pleasing tone. I am certain that there exists solid wood guitars that don't sound as good as my laminate and visa versa. It keeps returning to design and construction as the variables with the greatest effect on pleasing sound.

5150ukulele
04-13-2013, 04:15 AM
I think it is somewhat known that Loprinzi makes the Sailor brand.

5150. Are you saying that Poplar as a tonewood is worth veneering over? I know of only one maker that uses Poplar as a tonewood. I do agree with your premise though.

Well, FINALLY ! Someone said it . roflol .

I'm saying poplar is well worth it's weight as a fine tonewood but doesn't carry much for what we tend to cal " figured " in appearance . Never mind the fact that poplar is rock sold super tough as a wood in general . The stuff is tough . " Worthy ? I suppose it is if I catch your drift on " worthy " . True to fact, I suppose all tonewoods are worthy of it .

A really good source to talk to in regard to such as this would be Don Young over at National Guitar . He's a true world of real life education on the topic . Then again, guitars are also made from components such as " METAL " . Who'd have thunk it huh ?

It's aslo not as if the ukulele is the only instrument out there useing soundbaords for Pete's sak . Anyone is well free to take a look at pianos for instance and see the huge variables in regard to their soundboards . Then I wanna see comments on tonewood types and construction . In particular grands at massive prices .

In my lurking and reading back on such topic as this, it amazes me more have not taken a closer look at this stuff rather than just comment unlearned . People fussin, people stating uninformed info, people getting blocked and banned . it's childs play at best . I think readers might be well served by paying attention closely at not " what' , but " who" it is that seems to always bring negitivity on this topic and this brand of instrument. It seeme to me personally as if an individual and or two are targeting and bashing as if there was a personal bone to pick . But hey, who am I anyway ?

Never the less . I personally have played several of these ukes and will tell you that without a shadow of a doubt they are well built and built to suit the descrimination of a professional thinking musician looking for a great instrument that doesn't cost a fortune . These ukes are exremely well thought out in all regards . From quality build styling and skill to cost fair . It's purely a farce to say that all the instruments are made with a veneer . I personally know for a fact that these ukes are available in equal variables than any and all the other luthier built ukes . I say that because i have carried on the conversation with the luthier themself .

And by the way . Some of the components are not made and or assembled by LoPrinzi . Only because it has been said this far, allow to to just lay it on any doubters as it " REALLY IS ". Sailor Brand ukes are 100%, tip to tail, built by no other than Augustino LoPrinzi Guitars and Ukulele's . No sinlge piece, part, component and or any assembly is done at any other location or by any other hands than the LoPrinzi hands .

Although there are still some that prefer to pay double and even triple the price for other ukes built by furniture makers that have been slaping ukes together for a few years and only building "master grade " woods. The whole thing is a choice . But truth is truth and farce is farce .

All these so called luthier expert sorts buzzing not just the uke world but custom the custom instrument world in general would have taken the time to look at the build of thise ukes and readily be able to see they are the exact build as the aforementioned luthier other than the shape of the headstock .

My my ...............

The fact remains that these are smart purchases for all reasons tip to tail . I positive to the fact via speaking with the luthier on these ukes that if you so choose to dis and or berate poplar builds on such , then go ahead on and order yourself a solid would one of the same uke . Man , could I rant but will refrain.

Never the less, and back to poplar . Tons and tons of stringed instruments use the wood whether they be production or luthier builds . Most commonly you will see the popular ' sunburst ' asthetics being done over poplar . It is simply because poplar is a well more than worthy tonewood and due to it's almost never having " figureing " it works wonderfully and is a prime choice for the 'sunburst' asthetics . Not forgetting that poplar allows adhesives and coatings to adhere with stellar performance .

With all that said . Let the cards lay where they fall . I'm going back to my lurking state of being here .

I loathe all this effort to slam and or dis products . Personally? I just look for hardshell facts . Not forgetting that perceptive brings some personal tastes and preferences to each and everyones table equally . Probably 95% of the ukes out there that are built I turn my nose up at and will barely consider picking it up to play . Does that mean it ought to be burned ? I say no ! Surely someone will love it and cherish it like a family member . Yet I also posses more than one uke that just simply was by no means my cup of tea and had zero intension of owning until I really looked and listened deeper . And to tell the truth, those ukes that got over looked by myself and or I had foolishly listened to others berate, turned out to now be my most favored ukes . Not foregtting to mention that those same said ukes often get inquired about by other ukers and musicians in regard to the quality of sound .

I'm really done with this but do allow me to say this . me personally ? I buy an instrument for how it sounds and plays . I do like pretty to some degree. But I've never had a blind person comment on good my playing or sound is due to the way it looks . Actually, and to me, the prettiest instruments out there are the one bearing a ton of battle and playing scars . I gotta admit that when I see used imstruments come of for sale, most often the seller spend an entire ad telling what it not wrong with it and how scracthless it is . I can assure you that if you see one of my instrumets come up for sale it will mostly be an ad about how much loving wear it has and how my breaking it for you will cost you . lol lol

Hard to sell me a used instrument will this huge discertation on how it sounds so wonderfully outstanding and then tell me it has lived in a humidor closet and it scratchless . If it's not been played and seasoned out, none of us know how it really sounds . But that another argument for another day .

Gotta run. My ukes lack scratches and dings . I really need to get back to that !

Wagster
04-13-2013, 05:22 PM
If I were to reply to this thread (which I am not) I would first say....P90's are the shiznit. Love that creamy sound (hhmmm...a ukulele with a P90?)...

Ok. That was some useless info, but this laminate cork-sniffing is pretty shallow. I have played many a laminated instruments, including ukuleles, that sounded remarkable. To dismiss an instrument out-of-hand simply because it is laminated is fine on a personal level if that's how you were raised. But new folks looking for knowledgable opinions might pass up an affordable, great playing, laminated uke because they read some trash about them being...um....trash. Shame.

Ok, that was probably useless as well.

More on topic....I like the looks of those Sailor ukes. I've always wanted a Tenor size and a Sailor might just be the ticket. I wonder if you can get one with a P90 in it? That would be the shiznit!

Uke Republic
04-16-2013, 10:30 AM
I just want to reiterate that Sailor Brand does offer a solid tonewood back and sides as opposed to veneer over the solid poplar as a choice.
Personally I like both and thats the wonderful thing about life...Choices :) Most of us own several ukuleles because we like different sounds, sizes , looks etc.
Viva la diffence!

As a note many respected builders of classical guitars such as Smallman and Spanish guitar house Ramirez make high end instruments with veneer/laminate sides or back and sides. Why? Some feel that this technique adds strength reducing the tonal energy from being lost. There is also the thought of wood stability in changing environments as well. There are plenty of other thought on this subject.
The Sailors are not made in large quantity and only use premium materials and varnish finish so a high quality instrument is assured.

Here is an Atlanta based luthier Kris Barnett who also uses this technique when making his guitars and ukuleles. I've played his and they have amazing projection as well http://www.krisbarnettguitars.com/#!vstc2=soundboard/vstc1=page-8/vstc0=concepts

Sporin
06-11-2013, 04:02 AM
I didn't realize this thread had resurfaced and been added to and I appreciate all the discussion.

My opinion hasn't changed, this is an absolutely beautiful uke that I'd be happy to own, laminate or not.

haolejohn
06-11-2013, 05:41 AM
I didn't realize this thread had resurfaced and been added to and I appreciate all the discussion.

My opinion hasn't changed, this is an absolutely beautiful uke that I'd be happy to own, laminate or not.

I played this tenor uke the other day (i believe you posted the soprano version) and if i want saving up for two special ukes i would own it.

mttacsquared
06-30-2013, 05:15 PM
I just discovered this thread. The funny thing is I purchased both the soprano and tenor Sailor Brand ukes referenced on this thread. Could not be more satisfied. Very well made and an incredible value in my opinion.

Sporin
07-01-2013, 12:57 AM
I just discovered this thread. The funny thing is I purchased both the soprano and tenor Sailor Brand ukes referenced on this thread. Could not be more satisfied. Very well made and an incredible value in my opinion.

:iwant::shaka::music: Excellent!!

mttacsquared
07-01-2013, 01:23 AM
It is a 15 minute drive from my home to Uke Republic (just discovered it too) and have a tough time staying away. The temptation was too much!