PDA

View Full Version : New Factory Strings From Collings

grownupboy
04-11-2013, 12:35 PM
hey all,

was shopping for a collings uke today and i noticed they're not shipping the new ukes with aquila strings. does anyone know what brand they're using now?

looks like flourocarbon to me but i'm curious... they sounded amazing so i'd like to get replacements that match!

karl

d-mace
04-11-2013, 12:45 PM
It says Worths on their site.

mm stan
04-11-2013, 12:47 PM
Aha they finally figured out Fleurocarbons works best for their particular style ukulele.....I do like martins best on them though....

grownupboy
04-11-2013, 12:49 PM
doh! check the website. always check the website!!!

thanks for the quick replies. it's amazing how much more alive the uke was with the worths. never minded aquilas but this little concert uke i tried really sang!

must resist... buying... another... uke....

k

d-mace
04-11-2013, 02:20 PM
I'm surprised they updated their website so quickly with just a string change. Way to go Collings!

grownupboy
04-12-2013, 05:33 AM
just heard back from collings...

they're using worth "fat" sets for both tenor and concert ukes.

0.0244 inch 0.0291 inch 0.0319 inch 0.0260 inch

interesting... but at least now i know what to get as replacements!

k

PereBourik
04-12-2013, 07:31 AM
doh! check the website. always check the website!!!

thanks for the quick replies. it's amazing how much more alive the uke was with the worths. never minded aquilas but this little concert uke i tried really sang!

must resist... buying... another... uke....

k

String Acquisition Syndrome is the gateway to Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
04-12-2013, 07:48 AM
just heard back from collings...

they're using worth "fat" sets for both tenor and concert ukes.

0.0244 inch 0.0291 inch 0.0319 inch 0.0260 inch

interesting... but at least now i know what to get as replacements!

k

I don't know about the "fat" sets but from the gauges you listed they are the standard Worth CH (clear hard) set. They are excellent strings (and all I use as well.)

AndrewKuker
04-12-2013, 12:26 PM
I don't know about the "fat" sets but from the gauges you listed they are the standard Worth CH (clear hard) set. They are excellent strings (and all I use as well.)

Very interesting. For quite a while I have been doing CH for the C and E and regular mediums or CT on the outer two. I found the CH throw off intonation on some ukes, others they don't and sound amazing. They can also kill a C string buzz. Gotta watch out with those strings on the real lightly built ukes though.
Thanks for sharing Chuck. Do they ever seem too "tight on the higher strings to you? I guess it's all about the setup as well...

grownupboy
04-12-2013, 02:53 PM

i see that too... but that's what the guy from collings told me. i was able to find a set of fats on elderly with those dimensions so maybe it's just a different something or other that worth has put into them. dunno for sure though...

k

grownupboy
04-12-2013, 03:24 PM
so i have a question... anybody here using a collings uke with these new strings. the string tension seemed noticably higher and i'm wondering if it ever became an issue. of course you'd think collings would have thought of that but i thought i'd ask people with real experience what their feeling is...

k

Dan Uke
04-12-2013, 03:39 PM
Where are all those people saying that Bill Collings recommends Aquila, they must be the best for his ukes?

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
04-12-2013, 03:47 PM
Very interesting. For quite a while I have been doing CH for the C and E and regular mediums or CT on the outer two. I found the CH throw off intonation on some ukes, others they don't and sound amazing. They can also kill a C string buzz. Gotta watch out with those strings on the real lightly built ukes though.
Thanks for sharing Chuck. Do they ever seem too "tight on the higher strings to you? I guess it's all about the setup as well...

Too tight? No. But I guess it's all what you're used to. They are certainly stiffer than Aquilas. As you alluded to, if your action is set pretty high you might have difficulty with Worth Clear Hard. But if you can address that problem first then they are "worth" it.

Regarding "fat" Worths (I'm still trying to figure that one out) I know they carry "extra hard tension" strings but I've never used them and can't imagine why I'd have to unless the uke was very heavily built and needed the extra power.

As you've pointed out Andrew, sometimes the best strings for an uke are a combination of sets or even brands. I also love the South Coast flat wounds for the G & C strings.

janthony1
04-12-2013, 04:07 PM
I just got a Collings tenor with these strings and the tension is noticeably higher, but not a problem. I love the sound of these strings.

grownupboy
04-12-2013, 05:24 PM
ya, the fat thing is a bit odd. it's real though - check it out:

http://www.elderly.com/accessories/names/worth-cf-%22fat%22-uke-set--WSCF.htm

it would seem that maybe they're just a bit higher tension than normal but it's hard to tell for sure... maybe someone from worth can chime in?

k

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
04-12-2013, 05:50 PM
ya, the fat thing is a bit odd. it's real though - check it out:

http://www.elderly.com/accessories/names/worth-cf-%22fat%22-uke-set--WSCF.htm

it would seem that maybe they're just a bit higher tension than normal but it's hard to tell for sure... maybe someone from worth can chime in?

k

Interesting, I didn't realize that. I'd like to see more choices for the smaller ukes. Mahalo.

Leigh Coates
04-12-2013, 06:13 PM
Mine came to me last year with Aquila's, but I just put clear (non-fat) Worth's on it,... and now it sounds amazing. I like these strings much better on it than the original Aquila's, although they weren't bad.

Telperion
04-13-2013, 02:56 AM

You are exactly right, Chuck. However, it also appears that their CF "fat" sets have the same diameters (according to Elderly and Strings by Mail). I doubt that Worth is using a different density fluorocarbon, so my guess is that the CF's are just a re-branding of the CH strings for use "primarily on sopranos and concerts." As an additional bit of evidence, I acquired my Collings concert just this past February, and it still has the factory Worth strings. I just put my precision digital caliper on them and came up with G=0.0260", C=0.0319", E=0.0291", and A=0.0244". Assuming that the given diameters for the CH and CF are before stretching and settling, these correlate pretty well.

This is all great information and I appreciate Grownupboy's inquiries to Collings. I had assumed my UC-2 had hard tension concert strings, which would be CD's, but it looks like they are actually CH/CF's. I love the way it was set-up initially, and wanted to keep it that way going forward, so I'm happy to have this sorted out. (Now I also know why my Collings Concert strings felt so much like my Moore Bettah tenor strings! - go figure!)

-Steve

grownupboy
04-13-2013, 11:20 AM
well, i took the plunge (again) and picked up the little collings koa concert uke. i've had a collings tenor for a couple years but really wanted something smaller and brighter and this little guy fit the bill perfectly for me!

yay, new uke day!
k

Telperion
04-13-2013, 11:58 AM
Nice! Congrats on the new uke! I used to be all tenors myself, but my Collings concert changed my perception. I've really grown to love the smaller body size and just like the way it cradles. Enjoy it!

-Steve

grownupboy
04-13-2013, 02:00 PM
i'm with you steve... it's more intimate but still punchy and warm. the uke is brand spankin new and hasn't opened up yet but i look forward to picking it up every time i put it down!

i had been playing a collings tenor for a couple years... never really loved the tenor size. i'm a concert man all the way. and i'm lovin' this little bugger!

k

OldePhart
04-13-2013, 02:07 PM
Too tight? No. But I guess it's all what you're used to. They are certainly stiffer than Aquilas. As you alluded to, if your action is set pretty high you might have difficulty with Worth Clear Hard. But if you can address that problem first then they are "worth" it.

Regarding "fat" Worths (I'm still trying to figure that one out) I know they carry "extra hard tension" strings but I've never used them and can't imagine why I'd have to unless the uke was very heavily built and needed the extra power.

As you've pointed out Andrew, sometimes the best strings for an uke are a combination of sets or even brands. I also love the South Coast flat wounds for the G & C strings.

I use the CH strings (well, to be clear (pun intended) "Seaguar CH" strings - Seaguar leaders in the same gages as a Worth CH set) on most of my ukes, from soprano to tenor. The only ones that don't get the CH treatment are the two mango ukes (soprano and tenor) because they are almost fatally bright and loud. Actually, I haven't tried the tenor, it might end up being okay - the mango soprano was amazing but I was a bit concerned about possibly losing the upper ranges of my hearing... :) The other uke that I didn't like them on was the KoAloha longneck soprano. The high tension pinched the sound right down and I couldn't get them off fast enough. I think maybe that lightly braced top just can't deal well with such high tension. Considering how loud and wide open the KoAloha is with CM strings I guess I shouldn't complain.

But, on my other ukes the CH are great. Really good volume, excellent tone, and outstanding intonation. I've got them on a mahogany tenor (tuned down to Bb), mahogany soprano, and my Kiwaya KSL-02 thin laminate longneck soprano.

On sopranos they have the added advantage of not feeling like they are so soft and wimpy that I might get my fingers tangled up in them.

John

grownupboy
04-14-2013, 04:20 PM
contacted worth on this one as well...

according to masaya from worth (she emailed from japan!!):

"CF is used the same material to CD,harder material.
But CF diameter is different of CD.
CF is the thickest line up of Worth Strings."

so let's see...

CD (clear hard) strings are listed with the following diameters: 0.0205 0.0260 0.0291 0.0224

whereas the CF fat strings are listed as: 0.0244 0.0291 0.0319 0.0260

chuck had mentioned he uses clear hard strings but used the code CH. CH strings are described as "clear heavy" by worth.

the string diameter of CH are: 0.0224 0.0291 0.0319 0.0260

so it appears that CF strings are essentially CH strings with a slightly fatter g string. this jives with what elderly says about the strings:

"Compare to the WSCH set. The "fat" first string makes for a "fat", soft sound."
(http://www.elderly.com/accessories/names/worth-cf-%22fat%22-uke-set--WSCF.htm)

i guess what it boils down to is a slightly thicker g string to "alter" the sound in some way. of course, i only have the set on my uke so i can't say anything on that. but i do enjoy a bit of detective work! LOL

chuck, are you using clear heavy (CH) on your ukes? or clear hard (CD)...

karl

p.s. of course this all amounts to an academic exercise... nothing about playability or anything else. just trying to sort out what's what. and i'm loving my new uke. big fat strings and all! LOL

soupking
05-18-2013, 06:32 AM
I just happened to pay a visit to the Collings website and noticed that they seem to have again switched factory-recommended strings- to Savarez...

http://www.collingsguitars.com/Instruments/?ID=58

hawaii 50
05-18-2013, 06:55 AM
I see 3 Collins ukes at Gryphon for sale..
are they discontinuing their ukes like I read on the UU 2 weeks ago?

soupking
05-18-2013, 07:00 AM
I see 3 Collins ukes at Gryphon for sale..
are they discontinuing their ukes like I read on the UU 2 weeks ago?

I saw those, too, and they appear to be higher priced than I've yet seen; not sure if that's Gryphon pricing them a little higher or if Collings actually raised prices, though. I spoke with a well respected Collings dealer who said, based on discussions with them, that he doesn't believe that Collings will stop making ukes because demand is too strong. At this point, though, I guess it's anyone's guess...

Dan Uke
05-18-2013, 08:04 AM
I saw those, too, and they appear to be higher priced than I've yet seen; not sure if that's Gryphon pricing them a little higher or if Collings actually raised prices, though. I spoke with a well respected Collings dealer who said, based on discussions with them, that he doesn't believe that Collings will stop making ukes because demand is too strong. At this point, though, I guess it's anyone's guess...

The people selling their ukes say they are discontinuing! :p

They raised the retail price of the tenor by $50 so not a big increase at all!

Mxyzptik
05-19-2013, 03:12 AM
Here is my story on the Collings UT2 with Living Waters strings.

I started playing about 1 1/2 years ago with a Fendor Hohea tenor. I was using Aquilas and a wound low G ( D'arr ) sp ?. I swapped it over to Livings Waters and at first I thought I liked the Aquila's better. The LW's took 2 - 3 weeks to settle in but I never really noticed any difference in tension or maybe very slightly tighter.

I have been playing a lot this winter and spring, I just can't seem to put it down. So I decided to move up in the world and started my search. I played a CR and some Martin's while vactioning in Phoenix but stuck with my little Fendor at that point. A month or so ago or so I found a Collings UT2 in a local shop and I was done for. I took in a set of Ken's Living Waters ( low G ) and had the shop install them.

They seemed to have significantly higher tension than the same strings did on the Fender. Twice I had the A string come unwrapped from the tuner peg under tension until I learned how to tuck the tag end under so it pinches down on itself as you tighten. The extra tension caused my fingertips to hurt which didn't happen on the Fender and they seemed too take a while to stay in tune..........but I was really really pleased with the sound.

Now a month into the game with the Collings UT2 / Livings Waters low g combo and I couldn't possibly be more pleased. My fingerstip have calloused up nicely (I have been playing 1-2 hours every single day ) but it sounds wonderful IMO . The two big differences ; chords like Bb which sounded like a bag of mud on the Fender sound clean on the Colllings but where they seem to really seem to stand out is when picking and plucking.

I play at every opportunity now and the reward commensurate to the effort expended.