PDA

View Full Version : (Very) Low-cost music stand alternative for attending workshops/gatherings

Tonya
04-11-2013, 12:39 PM
Okay, this is nothing sophisticated but it really helps out when attending a uke workshop or gathering and you're tired of juggling workshop handouts in your lap (but you don't want to lug around a music stand, even the collapsible kind).

You use a skirt hanger with clips and position it on the chair in front of you (obviously this will not work if you're sitting in the front row).

Here's a photo and how it works. (http://ukuleletonya.com/blog/2013/04/easy-music-stand-for-workshops) I'll be using this decidedly low-tech method at the Reno Uke Fest this weekend. Don't laugh, please!

Tootler
04-11-2013, 01:34 PM
That's a really good idea. Since clothes shops commonly use them for both skirts and trousers (at least they do over here), they should be fairly easy to come by.

sukie
04-11-2013, 01:34 PM
Okay, this is nothing sophisticated but it really helps out when attending a uke workshop or gathering and you're tired of juggling workshop handouts in your lap (but you don't want to lug around a music stand, even the collapsible kind).

You use a skirt hanger with clips and position it on the chair in front of you (obviously this will not work if you're sitting in the front row).

Here's a photo and how it works. (http://ukuleletonya.com/blog/) I'll be using this decidedly low-tech method at the Reno Uke Fest this weekend. Don't laugh, please!

I like this idea! And it's not heavy. Let us know how it works out.

Pondoro
04-11-2013, 01:35 PM
Excellent idea!

Skinny Money McGee
04-11-2013, 01:58 PM
Awesome tip, thanks for posting it. This is one of those "why didn't I think of that"

caukulele
04-11-2013, 02:12 PM
Great simple idea! Thanks for sharing.

OldePhart
04-12-2013, 06:42 AM
Sweet idea! You may have started a trend...

Like the old saying goes, "Mothers are an invention of necessity!" :)

John

Kayak Jim
04-12-2013, 06:46 AM
Great idea! If you wanted the music a bit higher you could hang it from the collar of the player in front of you (only half kidding).

hawaii 50
04-12-2013, 06:50 AM
great idea..thxs

bborzell
04-12-2013, 06:54 AM
I checked Elderly and they are apparently out of stock.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
04-12-2013, 07:01 AM
I like the idea Tonya. It will really give my assistant a break. But what do I do with my skirts in the time being?
Have a ball in Reno!

csibona
04-12-2013, 10:46 AM
Brilliant - I will use this. Thanks for sharing.

mm stan
04-12-2013, 10:55 AM
Good For recipes when cooking too Tonya....hook it on the cabinet door knob :) Yes have fun in Reno girl...Take some peekchas to share with us....woo hoo

Shastastan
04-12-2013, 11:01 AM
Tonya is always sharing some great ideas with us and she's a great ukulele promoter/enthusiast as well.

Not to steal her thunder but just add....You can also just use an old wire hanger with clothespins also. I like to use some of those mini plastic clamps that you can get at Harbor Freight. I also use the clamps to keep my music/folder on the stand. They work great for clamping bags of chips, cereal, or whatever.