Wanted: Kamaka Concert Long Neck

Tim Mullins

Reaction score
Anybody willing to part with one of these?

New or used?

If new try Gryphon Strings of Palo Alto or Acoustic Vibes of AZ or check HMS regularly they usually get them in! I love mine and won't part with it sorry.

Do you just want the tenor neck on the alto body or is it more about the tuners versus friction ones? Cuz KoAloha makes a tenor necked concert which will not disappoint, imho. But Kamaka also makes a new "+" concert with a concert length fret but geared Gotoh Planetary tuners resembling friction tuners. If used you might be waiting a while.

Hi kamanaaloha,

The best sounding uke I have owned is a Kamaka concert, but I want 14 frets clear of the body and am now used to the tenor scale. I played two of these HF-2Ls and was very impressed. If I get no response here (most likely) I'm also looking into new/ordering from Kamaka. Yes, I would want the new Gotoh planetary tuners, I'd put them on instead of the ears in a heartbeat. Did you get your long neck direct from Kamaka?

I picked mine up for pretty cheap, relatively of course, from a store in Honolulu...

service: HMS hands down

cheapest price online: Gryphon or Sylvan (actually $6 cheaper)

semi custom to your liking: Kamaka (Tekla)

I would go with the standard tenor type (ears) tuners...the Gotohs > friction ones if I was getting standard... and request curly koa for a little more...

Seriously, the KoAloha Super Concert is ridiculous, imho...I will likely be getting one of those next...it is also $200 cheaper than a Kamaka and will be brighter sounding.

Last edited:
Kamanaaloha,

Good stuff to think about. I'm pretty sure I'll like the new Gotoh planetary tuners, I think 4:1 is a perfect ratio and like the traditional look. Do you know offhand how much Kamaka charges for the curly wood upgrade?

Mahalo,

Kamanaaloha,

Good stuff to think about. I'm pretty sure I'll like the new Gotoh planetary tuners, I think 4:1 is a perfect ratio and like the traditional look. Do you know offhand how much Kamaka charges for the curly wood upgrade?

Mahalo,

$300 3A, $600 4A, $90 for Gotoh PT, $70 for Shaller Gold Tuners, Around $70 for Ebony Fretboard and Bridge?, Around $70 for Abalone dots and KK logo.

Here's my review. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1AqAjL0J2A

My opinion is that Special just means I'm gonna charge an arm and leg for these upgrades!! I would definitely recommend the Gotoh as mine is way to head heavy and when I was at Kamaka in February, Chris Kamaka thought it was a good choice to get them. I didn't get it as I am thinking about adding some side dots and other stuff so that means they have to refinish the uke.

I personally think any superconcerts w/o friction style or the planetary gears is off balanced. If you plan to keep it "forever", get the wood upgrade.

Top Bottom