Are We Ever Satisfied!?

Kyle23

Reaction score
I'm sold that the uke community will ever be satisfied lol, you should have to sign something when you buy your first uke that says "Thou shall never be satisfied". Whether it be the ukulele itself or your skill set. Before I even bought my ukulele, I said "Man I just want to be able to play 1 song, that would be so amazing!", wrong. I can't learn enough songs. I told myself, I want one uke, I want to make this my only one. It's so special, this one will satisfy me SURELY. Wrong again! I had to get another one just weeks after my first. I told myself, just 2, I couldn't imagine having any more than that. Well I want another one, and I don't just want another ONE, I want multiple ukes. It's a curse really, a beautiful curse that keeps us coming back for more.

I understand that wanting to increase your skill in anything is just human nature, but this is a whole different level than I'm used to. I'm not even satisfied with the strings I use. I literally put on new strings, LOVE them and then switch them out because they're "not good enough" and to try different ones. Why can't I be happy with 1 ukulele and 1 set of strings? I feel like I'm losing my mind here lol. Has anyone actually reached satisfaction on any level with this instrument?! :p

Am I beating a dead horse with this thread? Sorry about that.

Am I beating a dead horse with this thread? Sorry about that.

na, not at all brother, it's a great thread...that was just a reference to my own self deprecation and loathing... he he :eek:

You just want a really good uke which can be expensive. Especially when you get three entry level and two mid priced ones before you realize that. Not like desire ever ends, but satisfaction is out there for you. Most likely..

Aloha Kyle,
It's part of your ukulele journey....we all go through the same desires whether you achieve them or not, make sure it is fun....Happy Strummings
maybe it's not about the level of things and more of a passion and enjoyment factor...if you can have fun with a 24.95 uke as much as a custom, you have achieved ukulele nirvana:)

I only have one uke! And no desire to get another one, this one suits me just fine :)

Edit: Although I think I'm the exception to the rule.

Last edited:
Nice! Hey Stan, definitely a wiser outlook. It's truly different for everyone but based on Kyle's pattern, he is lacking something in tone, perhaps intonation, that has him stringing instead of playing. It doesn't matter the price, but the quality tools plus the passion gives the satisfaction. no? sometimes..

Aloha Andrew,
Yes he seems to definitely need a setup ukulele from you bruddah....sometimes like you said, without the proper tools you cannot achieve satisfaction....:)

Aloha Kyle,
It's part of your ukulele journey....we all go through the same desires whether you achieve them or not, make sure it is fun....Happy Strummings
maybe it's not about the level of things and more of a passion and enjoyment factor...if you can have fun with a 24.95 uke as much as a custom, you have achieved ukulele nirvana:)
ya, that too :D

I know exactly what you mean. Maybe Andrew and Stan are right. That's why I'm saving for a koaloha concert (after I get my Mainland tenor). See, I'm worse than you! ; )

Sold my bari, and after owning 5 ukes I'm now back to just owning a Dolphin. Happier than ever, and strumming and picking like a very very very happy madman.

I only have one uke! And no desire to get another one, this one suits me just fine :)

Edit: Although I think I'm the exception to the rule.
you are my hero. I want to be like you when I grow up. but I'd have to sell my preciouss.

at my level there's always something better out there. I just got my 3rd, a Kala solid top acacia and am already drooling over a Martin C1k that's set to arrive at the local store any day...if it's impressive I probably won't be able to resist, even though I have no business spending that amount on a uke at my skill level, which is good enough to entertain myself and annoy other people! ;);)

na, not at all brother, it's a great thread...that was just a reference to my own self deprecation and loathing... he he :eek:

Wow. Eugene Ukulele "self deprecation and loathing" Wow!

I guess it's the never-ending dissatisfaction that makes musicians truly great, like Eugene Ukulele. I watch his videos and can't imagine him wanting to get better. Dissatisfaction's sort of a secret weapon.

Now constantly striving for a better instrument, strings, tuner, case, music stand,... is a problem. (the industry's secret weapon)

If my wife can have nine cats, why can't I have nine ukuleles?

If my wife can have nine cats, why can't I have nine ukuleles?

How about a new wife or maybe a new pit bull? (sorry I really, really hate cats).

In addition to the making music aspect of playing the uke, there's also, like in many pursuits, the hobby aspect. Seeking the best strings, checking out and yearning for the new models, participating in forums are all part of the enjoyment for many. Have fun with it!

Yeah, satisfaction comes with time. You don't know enough yet in the beginning. Once you figure some things out then contentment and satisfaction come. I've got a few ukes, I've got one that gets 98% of my playing time.

I'm also a guitar player. A few years ago I owned 40+ guitars, 20+ amps, 150 or so effect pedals. I now own 12 guitars, 2 amps and about 12 effects. Much more satisfied :)

Top Bottom