PDA

View Full Version : Concert Ukulele with a wide neck - is there such a thing?

ross0862
04-12-2013, 12:21 AM
I've seen the Oscar Schmidt tenor with the wide neck but wondered if anyone else made a concert size with a 1 3/4 inch neck. Any thoughts?

iDavid
04-12-2013, 01:05 AM
Never heard of 1 3/4 on a uke.

Covered Bridge ukes have a 1 .5 neck. I believe that Kanile'a has a 1 1/2 inch neck.

AndrewKuker
04-12-2013, 01:48 AM
That's a fairly spacious steel string guitar neck - 1 3/4". Most Martin guitars are 1 11/16". So not even this wide. It's strange that they go that wide. Do you like the feel?

ross0862
04-12-2013, 02:07 AM
That's a fairly spacious steel string guitar neck - 1 3/4". Most Martin guitars are 1 11/16". So not even this wide. It's strange that they go that wide. Do you like the feel?

I haven't seen one in Australia but I've measured it up against my Lanakai tenor and the Oscar Schmidt definitely a lot wider. I guess I might have to splash out on the OU6W and hope it all works out well. Ukulele Mike plays one with comfort on his youtube video.

chrimess
04-12-2013, 02:55 AM
to me, at least, anything over 1.5 feels unnatural since you only have four strings and the spacing gets ample even with the fattest strings.

stevepetergal
04-12-2013, 04:08 AM
Yeah, I think Oscar Schmidt is the only one. I played one of these when Tom Ferrone, from Oscar Schmidt, actually had one sent to a local store for me to try out. I was thinking it was something I would be interested in having. I was wrong, and felt guilty when I didn't buy it after Tom had been so generous and helpful. That neck is WIDE, much wider than I had anticipated. Most difficult to play, (for me). I think the string spacing is wider than most guitars.

Don't get me wrong. It was a terrific instrument. It was set up well, intonation was good, sounded great, and was absolutely beautiful to look at. If the neck width was what I wanted, I would have bought it in a heartbeat. (ridiculously inexpensive, too) I am always amazed at Oscar's instruments and their value.

Uke Republic
04-12-2013, 09:21 AM
Moku choice series are 1.5" @ nut for there concerts. The select series is 1.3/8"