Concert Ukulele with a wide neck - is there such a thing?

ross0862

Reaction score
I've seen the Oscar Schmidt tenor with the wide neck but wondered if anyone else made a concert size with a 1 3/4 inch neck. Any thoughts?

Never heard of 1 3/4 on a uke.

Covered Bridge ukes have a 1 .5 neck. I believe that Kanile'a has a 1 1/2 inch neck.

Last edited:
That's a fairly spacious steel string guitar neck - 1 3/4". Most Martin guitars are 1 11/16". So not even this wide. It's strange that they go that wide. Do you like the feel?

That's a fairly spacious steel string guitar neck - 1 3/4". Most Martin guitars are 1 11/16". So not even this wide. It's strange that they go that wide. Do you like the feel?

I haven't seen one in Australia but I've measured it up against my Lanakai tenor and the Oscar Schmidt definitely a lot wider. I guess I might have to splash out on the OU6W and hope it all works out well. Ukulele Mike plays one with comfort on his youtube video.

to me, at least, anything over 1.5 feels unnatural since you only have four strings and the spacing gets ample even with the fattest strings.

Yeah, I think Oscar Schmidt is the only one. I played one of these when Tom Ferrone, from Oscar Schmidt, actually had one sent to a local store for me to try out. I was thinking it was something I would be interested in having. I was wrong, and felt guilty when I didn't buy it after Tom had been so generous and helpful. That neck is WIDE, much wider than I had anticipated. Most difficult to play, (for me). I think the string spacing is wider than most guitars.

Don't get me wrong. It was a terrific instrument. It was set up well, intonation was good, sounded great, and was absolutely beautiful to look at. If the neck width was what I wanted, I would have bought it in a heartbeat. (ridiculously inexpensive, too) I am always amazed at Oscar's instruments and their value.

Last edited:
Top Bottom