"Cliff Edwards Signed" uke on eBay

LimousinLil

Reaction score
Saw this on another uke forum. Has anyone seen the "Vintage Lyon Healy Washburn model 5318 on eBay, which appears to have been signed by Cliff Edwards - although no mention of this is made in the description?

wow and double wow. Oh. My. Dear. Lord. :drool: Signed by Ike, and sincerely too :p Ok, where's the closest bank...my son's got a water pistol I could stick under something I'm sure

check this out.

It's definitely his sig on that ukulele.

Oh...Eugenie!!! Where's my medication dear????/ Aaaarrrgghghghghgh........

Seems weird though they wouldnt mention the autograph in the item description. Even if you didnt know who cliff edwards was youd think theyd say something about a name scratched in the back. It does look similar to pics of his signature I googled. He did do work for RKO. Other autographs I saw he signed "sincerely ukulele ike" as well Hmmmmm.... I dunno feels fishy but I guess theres every possibility its real.

This person could have easily googled cliff edwards and figured out who signed his uke. At which point it would have become a huge selling feature no? Whats a fair price for this uke without the sig? Maybe its a scam to make uke players crazy and drive up the price. Course if so thats a pretty randon scam.

This person could have easily googled cliff edwards and figured out who signed his uke. At which point it would have become a huge selling feature no? Whats a fair price for this uke without the sig? Maybe its a scam to make uke players crazy and drive up the price. Course if so thats a pretty randon scam.
yeah, true. It is odd...zero mention of the sig or the name behind it and yet there's a gratuitous close up shot of it in the sales pics....hmmmm

I'm not crazy though...everyone's bedroom has padded walls, right? :p

yeah, true. It is odd...zero mention of the sig or the name behind it and yet there's a gratuitous close up shot of it in the sales pics....hmmmm

I'm not crazy though...everyone's bedroom has padded walls, right? :p

Let go with "excitable". ;). That Ike autograph you linked to was 1200 bucks in its own right for just a signed pic
His sig on a uke would make it pretty valuable Id think. Shame if its fake though thats a nice uke to bung up for a scambut if its real? Will be interesting to see where this ends. Also the seller must have got a to. Of emails asking about this. All the more reason to amend the description.

Let go with "excitable". ;). That Ike autograph you linked to was 1200 bucks in its own right for just a signed pic
His sig on a uke would make it pretty valuable Id think. Shame if its fake though thats a nice uke to bung up for a scambut if its real? Will be interesting to see where this ends. Also the seller must have got a to. Of emails asking about this. All the more reason to amend the description.

Totally agree. My email is on the pile too...

I am gullible at times but I just can't see how it could be a scam. Like you say, why would you do it...it "looks" authentically aged, it's Ike's hand, and the era is spot on. Uke in fantastic shape as well. Hmmmm...

The weirdest thing is - scam or otherwise - why would you list a uke for sale like that and not even mention something that sticks out like dog's snacks in your description?

Totally agree. My email is on the pile too...

I am gullible at times but I just can't see how it could be a scam. Like you say, why would you do it...it "looks" authentically aged, it's Ike's hand, and the era is spot on. Uke in fantastic shape as well. Hmmmm...

The weirdest thing is - scam or otherwise - why would you list a uke for sale like that and not even mention something that sticks out like dog's snacks in your description?

Youre not gullible, Im just cynical. We need someone in the middle to chime in here. Yeah it all adds up cept for not being in descript. If its a scam its a pretty decent one. You know what they say though. If it looks too good to be true......post up if they reply to you. Id be interested in what they say. Im not thinking of bidding or anything but I do like a good mystery.

If it's a scam, I doubt it's the seller's scam. If he wanted to scam people, he'd put SIGNED BY CLIFF EDWARDS in the title. As it is, someone interested in an Edwards-signed item might well not find this. Pretty inept scamming, if you ask me.

Is it possible that someone else (other than Edwards himself) put Edward's signature on that uke at some point? Sure, it's possible. I put Pete Townshend's autograph on one of my Who albums when I was a kid. I wasn't trying to scam anybody, it was for fun. But I suppose someone might put their hands on that album some day and assume Townshend had signed it, not some 12-year-old wannabe.

The linchpin for me is that it's an accurate signature. Since there's little clear evidence of scamming, and its too good to be random, I believe it's the real deal. Since there is no provenance, its value as a signed item will always be limited, but for someone who wants a good quality uke with the special plus of a likely-to-be-real Cliff Edwards signature, I think this is a good deal. Plus, how much do you love that case? I love it a lot.

If I hadn't just bought one of my "holy grail" ukes this week, I might go for this. As it is, one of you other crazies will have to pick it up... :)

If it's a scam, I doubt it's the seller's scam. If he wanted to scam people, he'd put SIGNED BY CLIFF EDWARDS in the title. As it is, someone interested in an Edwards-signed item might well not find this. Pretty inept scamming, if you ask me.

Is it possible that someone else (other than Edwards himself) put Edward's signature on that uke at some point? Sure, it's possible. I put Pete Townshend's autograph on one of my Who albums when I was a kid. I wasn't trying to scam anybody, it was for fun. But I suppose someone might put their hands on that album some day and assume Townshend had signed it, not some 12-year-old wannabe.

The linchpin for me is that it's an accurate signature. Since there's little clear evidence of scamming, and its too good to be random, I believe it's the real deal. Since there is no provenance, its value as a signed item will always be limited, but for someone who wants a good quality uke with the special plus of a likely-to-be-real Cliff Edwards signature, I think this is a good deal. Plus, how much do you love that case? I love it a lot.

If I hadn't just bought one of my "holy grail" ukes this week, I might go for this. As it is, one of you other crazies will have to pick it up... :)

Good points there. My idea of it was someone playing the "I dont know what I have" game, and hoping to generate some frenzy among a bunch of uke players that think they are scoring the deal of a lifetime. Its a very accurate looking signature, but honestly Id never buy anything signed off of ebay without some kind of proof of authenticity. Its not so inept as a scam if you think about it. You post it up at a fair starting price, pretend you have no idea who Cliff Edwards is, and wait for folks like us to start blabbing about it on forums like this. Im sure we are generating tons of views, and uke collectors as we all know are a ravenous, impulse buying, obsessed group:) Worst case scenario this guy sells this for around a grand, which is probably a good deal for him. However if the autograph throws it into a bidding frenzy.......Either way its a win for the seller. Im not saying it is a scam, this dude might be very honest, and it might be very real. Just smells fishy.

Looks like the barrage of emails has caused him to end the listing, probably to reconsider its worth.

Well, there goes the "bargain of a lifetime"!

According to ebay, it sold. Which, by the way, undermines the "just trying to drive the bidding up" scenario. It was listed as a Buy It Now, so no bidding to drive up.

It's in my back yard! I missed it. I could have gone to check it out. Good price on just the uke without the sig.

Dang, thats no fun.......I was just getting into the conspiracy theory thing. Oh well alls well that ends well I guess. Thats an awful lot of cash to drop for something with that amount of unknowns swirling around it, but hey if you got it to drop who am I to say you shouldnt? Are we sure Eugene Ukulele didnt raid the kids college fund and snatch it up?:) ?

It's in my back yard! I missed it. I could have gone to check it out. Good price on just the uke without the sig.

Yeah I wondered about that, I know very little about the value of vintage ukes, but it seemed a fair price to me without the sig as well.......I never saw it listed as a buy it now...probably because I was on my phone viewing....

According to ebay, it sold. Which, by the way, undermines the "just trying to drive the bidding up" scenario. It was listed as a Buy It Now, so no bidding to drive up.
Wouldn't surprise me if it was legit. I'm sure there's a lot of these treasures hiding in people's attics in this town.

It looked legit to me. I have a Cliff signature to compare it to and it's about the same.

The only that prevented me from bidding is lack of money, but I felt pretty sure it was ok based on the autograph. Also, for that Lyon and Healy, I would have gone to 6-700 so that price wasn't outrageous.

Looked to me like a simple case of not being able to authenticate that signature, but wanting to get a couple of hundred extra. Seemed fair to me, and someone with the cash thought so, too!

Top Bottom